or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Is Rick Perry The Next Ronald Reagan?

Is Rick Perry The Next Ronald Reagan?

post #1 of 100
Under Reagan the US's debt skyrocketed, the poor got poorer and the rich got much richer. Illegal aliens were given an easy access to citizenship, taxes were increased and finally, but not least, the size of government grew dramatically.

All these things have happened in Texas whilst Perry has been governor (or may happen in regards to illegals if he becomes POTUS) so the next Reagan he may very well be.

Your thoughts?
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
post #2 of 100
I'm wondering why you didn't just ask this question in the existing Rick Perry thread.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #3 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

I'm wondering why you didn't just ask this question in the existing Rick Perry thread.

That thread was all but ignored by the OP and any criticism of Perry was ignored by the Right. This thread isn't meant as a Perry worshippers thread, so maybe they'll step in to defend him.
post #4 of 100
Perhaps criticism was ignored because they don't support the man to begin with.

post #5 of 100
Quote:

The OP did and SDW didn't have a bad word to say about him. It seems only Kingsofsomewherehot is actually looking at Perry's record and no doubt with him being a Texan he's more familar with Perry. Indeed he sees big holes in his governorship.
post #6 of 100
I seriously doubt john galt (author of the OP in that thread) supports Perry.

I saw his post as more a commentary on how far out of their way the mainstream media and Perry's opponents would go to attack him - talking about how poorly he did in veterinary anatomy in college and such.

I can find much better reasons than that not to support him.

post #7 of 100
Quote:

I saw his post as more a commentary on how far out of their way the mainstream media and Perry's opponents would go to attack him - talking about how poorly he did in veterinary anatomy in college and such.

All he did was suggest that any criticisms of Perry are absurd and lame.

He is/was clearly fired up about Perry running for POTUS or he wouldn't have written this- "You know it's going to happen... bring it on...".
post #8 of 100
I'll let him clarify if he wishes. I'm just saying I didn't read into it what you did.

post #9 of 100
Ron Paul won't be surprised at Rick Perry's record-

"Congressman Paul’s Letter

As a lifelong Republican, it saddens me to have to write this letter. My parents believed in the Republican Party and its free enterprise philosophy, and that’s the way I was brought up. At age 21, in 1956, I cast my first vote for Ike and the entire Republican slate.

Because of frustration with the direction in which the country was going, I became a political activist and ran for the U.S. Congress in 1974. Even with Watergate, my loyalty, optimism, and hope for the future were tied to the Republican Party and its message of free enterprise, limited government, and balanced budgets.

Eventually I was elected to the U.S. Congress four times as a Republican. This permitted me a first-hand look at the interworkings of the U.S. Congress, seeing both the benefits and partisan frustrations that guide its shaky proceedings. I found that although representative government still exists, special interest control of the legislative process clearly presents a danger to our constitutional system of government.

In 1976 I was impressed with Ronald Reagan’s program and was one of the four members of Congress who endorsed his candidacy. In 1980, unlike other Republican office holders in Texas, I again supported our President in his efforts.

Since 1981, however, I have gradually and steadily grown weary of the Republican Party’s efforts to reduce the size of the federal government. Since then Ronald Reagan and the Republican Party have given us skyrocketing deficits, and astoundingly a doubled national debt. How is it that the party of balanced budgets, with control of the White House and Senate, accumulated red ink greater than all previous administrations put together? Tip O’Neill, although part of the problem, cannot alone be blamed.

Tax revenues are up 59 percent since 1980. Because of our economic growth? No. During Carter’s four years, we had growth of 37.2 percent; Reagan’s five years have given us 30.7 percent. The new revenues are due to four giant Republican tax increases since 1981.

All republicans rightly chastised Carter for his $38 billion deficit. But they ignore or even defend deficits of $220 billion, as government spending has grown 10.4 percent per year since Reagan took office, while the federal payroll has zoomed by a quarter of a million bureaucrats.

Despite the Supply-Sider-Keynesian claim that “deficits don’t matter,” the debt presents a grave threat to our country.Thanks to the President and Republican Party, we have lost the chance to reduce the deficit and the spending in a non-crisis fashion. Even worse, big government has been legitimized in a way the Democrats never could have accomplished. It was tragic to listen to Ronald Reagan on the 1986 campaign trail bragging about his high spending on farm subsidies, welfare, warfare, etc., in his futile effort to hold on to control of the Senate.

Instead of cutting some of the immeasurable waste in the Department of Defense, it has gotten worse, with the inevitable result that we are less secure today. Reagan’s foreign aid expenditures exceed Eisenhower’s, Kennedy’s, Johnson’s, Nixon’s, Ford’s, and Carter’s put together. Foreign intervention has exploded since 1980. Only an end to military welfare for foreign governments plus a curtailment of our unconstitutional commitments abroad will enable us really to defend ourselves and solve our financial problems.

Amidst the failure of the Gramm-Rudman gimmick, we hear the President and the Republican Party call for a balanced-budget amendment and a line-item veto. This is only a smokescreen. President Reagan, as governor of California, had a line-item veto and virtually never used it. As President he has failed to exercise his constitutional responsibility to veto spending. Instead, he has encouraged it.

Monetary policy has been disastrous as well. The five Reagan appointees to the Federal Reserve Board have advocated even faster monetary inflation than Chairman Volcker, and this is the fourth straight year of double-digit increases. The chickens have yet to come home to roost, but they will, and America will suffer from a Reaganomics that is nothing but warmed-over Keynesianism.

[Candidate Reagan in 1980 correctly opposed draft registration. Yet when he had the chance to abolish it, he reneged, as he did on his pledge to abolish the Departments of Education and Energy, or to work against abortion.

Under the guise of attacking drug use and money laundering, the Republican Administration has systematically attacked personal and financial privacy. The effect has been to victimize innocent Americans who wish to conduct their private lives without government snooping. (Should people really be put on a suspected drug dealer list because they transfer $3,000 at one time?) Reagan’s urine testing of Americans without probable cause is a clear violation of our civil liberties, as are his proposals for extensive “lie detector” tests.

Under Reagan, the IRS has grown bigger, richer, more powerful, and more arrogant. In the words of the founders of our country, our government has “sent hither swarms” of tax gatherers “to harass our people and eat out their substance.” His officers jailed the innocent George Hansen, with the President refusing to pardon a great American whose only crime was to defend the Constitution. [U]Reagan’s new tax “reform” gives even more power to the IRS. Far from making taxes fairer or simpler, it deceitfully raises more revenue for the government to waste.[/U]

Knowing this administration’s record, I wasn’t surprised by its Libyan disinformation campaign, Israeli-Iranian arms-for-hostages swap, or illegal funding of the Contras. All this has contributed to my disenchantment with the Republican Party, and helped me make up my mind.

I want to totally disassociate myself from the policies that have given us unprecedented deficits, massive monetary inflation, indiscriminate military spending, an irrational and unconstitutional foreign policy, zooming foreign aid, the exaltation of international banking, and the attack on our personal liberties and privacy.

After years of trying to work through the Republican Party both in and out of government, I have reluctantly concluded that my efforts must be carried on outside the Republican Party. Republicans know that the Democratic agenda is dangerous to our political and economic health. Yet, in the past six years Republicans have expanded its worst aspects and called them our own. The Republican Party has not reduced the size of government. It has become big government’s best friend.

If Ronald Reagan couldn’t or wouldn’t balance the budget, which Republican leader on the horizon can we possibly expect to do so? There is no credibility left for the Republican Party as a force to reduce the size of government. That is the message of the Reagan years.

I conclude that one must look to other avenues if a successful effort is ever to be achieved in reversing America’s direction.

I therefore resign my membership in the Republican Party and enclose my membership card."
~ http://www.dailypaul.com/177575/ron-...party-document
post #10 of 100
Honestly, if anyone thinks Rick Perry is going to save the US, the US will be even more fucked than it is now. I foresee a huge market in Mandarin classes in the US upon his election.

I can't even bear to watch the whole video of him talking about Global Warming. It's absolutely disgraceful. As some political pundits state even the lousiest political staffers would have given him some sort of basic, coherent answer to a question that was very likely to pop up. Watch for yourself, if you can stand it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYOQDz9Gt0Q

Good luck voting another Texan into the White House. You can kiss your economy and lifestyle as you know it goodbye.
post #11 of 100
Quote:

Or maybe it's because it's true.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #12 of 100
Quote:

Quote:
talking about how poorly he did in veterinary anatomy in college and such.

You don't have to do that. All you have to do is look at what he's done and how he accomplished it. Like using stimulus money when he's been so crtical about it and then bragging about the results he got.
post #13 of 100
That's my point.

post #14 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

You don't have to do that. All you have to do is look at what he's done and how he accomplished it. Like using stimulus money when he's been so crtical about it and then bragging about the results he got.

Just watch Rick's global warming response. If he won the primary and I was campaigning for Obama all I'd have to do is take an iPad and show everyone I encounter that video. I mean, you could bring up so much - the Science is inconclusive, there's been fraudulent data, it could be natural causes, etc. Instead, he bumbles on and even briefly states something incoherent about Galileo. This is the guy you want to deal with the rest of the world, let alone solve seemingly insurmountable national economic problems? Galileo? Like, seriously?
post #15 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Just watch Rick's global warming response. If he won the primary and I was campaigning for Obama all I'd have to do is take an iPad and show everyone I encounter that video. I mean, you could bring up so much - the Science is inconclusive, there's been fraudulent data, it could be natural causes, etc. Instead, he bumbles on and even briefly states something incoherent about Galileo. This is the guy you want to deal with the rest of the world, let alone solve seemingly insurmountable national economic problems? Galileo? Like, seriously?

Or read it here. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/08/us...pagewanted=all

A little over 3/4 of te way down. Search for Galileo.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
post #16 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

Under Reagan the US's debt skyrocketed, the poor got poorer and the rich got much richer. Illegal aliens were given an easy access to citizenship, taxes were increased and finally, but not least, the size of government grew dramatically.

All these things have happened in Texas whilst Perry has been governor (or may happen in regards to illegals if he becomes POTUS) so the next Reagan he may very well be.

Your thoughts?

You are relentless, Hands.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #17 of 100
Quote:

That thread was all but ignored by the OP and any criticism of Perry was ignored by the Right. This thread isn't meant as a Perry worshippers thread, so maybe they'll step in to defend him.

You're delusional. The Rick Perry thread had become nothing but an anti-Perry rant...a rant by you, mostly.
post #18 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

You're delusional. The Rick Perry thread had become nothing but an anti-Perry rant...a rant by you, mostly.

You choose not to deal with the facts, fine don't, but Ron Paul will- http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=VlYG6vh2T-M
post #19 of 100
Quote:

You choose not to deal with the facts, fine don't, but Ron Paul will- http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=VlYG6vh2T-M

Terrible ad. Romney's plan in Massachusetts actually is worthy of praise. It clearly was a step in the right direction toward providing healthcare to all. Perry signing the HPV vaccine legislation is one of the few things he's ever gotten right.

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #20 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Terrible ad. Romney's plan in Massachusetts actually is worthy of praise. It clearly was a step in the right direction toward providing healthcare to all. Perry signing the HPV vaccine legislation is one of the few things he's ever gotten right.

I'm not sure about the vaccine, I'd need to know more about it, but Romneys plan has been hugely successful for sure. I'm not posting it because I agree with it, I'm trying to get anyone from the right to actually talk about the things that people like Perry do that they attack Obama for all the time, but for the most part they just ignore it.
post #21 of 100
Spoken like a true statist (BR).

post #22 of 100
Quote:

Love it. You attempt to derail the Perry thread, then start another one. All the while, you claim you "just want to know more about him." But it gets better, because then you accuse people like me (who don't necessarily support him, but actually DO want to know more about him) of "ignoring the facts."

Priceless.
post #23 of 100
Quote:

Believe it or not, I agree with you on Romney care being a step in the right direction...for Massachusetts. I don't think such a system should be implemented by the federal government. I also think Romney could do better job explaining his history on this issue.
post #24 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

Or read it here. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/08/us...pagewanted=all

A little over 3/4 of te way down. Search for Galileo.

Interesting. It's even worse reading the transcript.

The question was are there specific scientists or theories that he found "compelling". His answer was along the lines of "We don't need to listen to scientists".

Like I said, it's amazing he's not even going to state anti-global warming science, of which there supposedly is plenty of. He's trying to discredit the scientific process itself. This is who one might want for a leader of a first-world, technologically-savvy nation who remains one of the world's leaders in SCIENCE (basic and applied) and technology?
post #25 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Interesting. It's even worse reading the transcript.

The question was are there specific scientists or theories that he found "compelling". His answer was along the lines of "We don't need to listen to scientists".

Like I said, it's amazing he's not even going to state anti-global warming science, of which there supposedly is plenty of. He's trying to discredit the scientific process itself. This is who one might want for a leader of a first-world, technologically-savvy nation who remains one of the world's leaders in SCIENCE (basic and applied) and technology?

Not actually what he said. He said, the science is not settled yet, and just because a supposed majority of scientists claim it is does not make it so. He then used the Galileo phrase to say, for example even Galileo was outnumbered by the scientists of his day, and he was proven to be correct.

You obviously heard what you wanted to hear on this one. You may not agree with what he said, but he did not say what you claimed either.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #26 of 100
Quote:

Not actually what he said. He said, the science is not settled yet, and just because a supposed majority of scientists claim it is does not make it so. He then used the Galileo phrase to say, for example even Galileo was outnumbered by the scientists of his day, and he was proven to be correct.

You obviously heard what you wanted to hear on this one. You may not agree with what he said, but he did not say what you claimed either.

Anyone comparing the scientific skills of scientists of Galileo's day to the scientific skills of scientists today is a Grade A failure. Or make that Grade D.
post #27 of 100
Quote:

It wasn't the scientists of his day that Galileo was at odds with, primarily. It wasn't his fellow scientists that imprisoned him for making scientific progress. The fellow scientists were able to look at the evidence and accept the newer, more accurate model. The church took much longer. In fact, they didn't apologize for Galileo's treatment until hundreds of years later.

Galileo's advancements were suppressed not by his fellow scientists but by religious assholes. Modern day religious assholes are attempted to suppress advancements in the fields of evolution and climate science. That's the real story there.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #28 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Anyone comparing the scientific skills of scientists of Galileo's day to the scientific skills of scientists today is a Grade A failure. Or make that Grade D.

I wouldn't even bother making said comparison because the analogy is flawed from the start as described above.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #29 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Quote:

It wasn't the scientists of his day that Galileo was at odds with, primarily. It wasn't his fellow scientists that imprisoned him for making scientific progress. The fellow scientists were able to look at the evidence and accept the newer, more accurate model. The church took much longer. In fact, they didn't apologize for Galileo's treatment until hundreds of years later.

Galileo's advancements were suppressed not by his fellow scientists but by religious assholes. Modern day religious assholes are attempted to suppress advancements in the fields of evolution and climate science. That's the real story there.

I am not saying that his assertion was accurate, but that it was being misconstrued. The point he was making is different than the point he is being slammed with. Keep on truckin' though... \
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #30 of 100
Quote:

I am not saying that his assertion was accurate, but that it was being misconstrued. The point he was making is different than the point he is being slammed with. Keep on truckin' though... \

Well, I've slammed him for the reasons I listed above. Rick Perry is more like the Vatican who imprisoned Galileo than anything else. Not only has Rick Perry demonstrated he doesn't know shit about science, he also clearly doesn't know shit about history, either. I suppose that makes him a pretty damn qualified Republican candidate these days.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #31 of 100
""This HPV controversy is tearing up the airways and the blogs," said Larry Sabato, a University of Virginia political scientist. "It has many of them thinking he's not quite what they thought, he's not a real Tea Partier. I think it's an issue that's going to return to haunt him and it may be his Achilles heel with the right.""
~ http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011...ans-rick-perry
post #32 of 100
Quote:

Well, I've slammed him for the reasons I listed above. Rick Perry is more like the Vatican who imprisoned Galileo than anything else. Not only has Rick Perry demonstrated he doesn't know shit about science, he also clearly doesn't know shit about history, either. I suppose that makes him a pretty damn qualified Republican candidate these days.

Rick Perry wouldn't have imprisoned Galileo, he would have had him burned at the stake.
post #33 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Love it. You attempt to derail the Perry thread, then start another one. All the while, you claim you "just want to know more about him." But it gets better, because then you accuse people like me (who don't necessarily support him, but actually DO want to know more about him) of "ignoring the facts."

Priceless.

What's "priceless" is John Galt starts a thread with-

"You know it's going to happen... bring it on..."

I bring up Ron Paul's criticism of Perry and a very thoughtful and informative piece criticisizing Perry and you accuse me of "derailing the thread".

Clearly according to you, in this case "bring it on" really meant "bring it off".
post #34 of 100
Quote:

Your thoughts?

Perry could be another Reagan in disguise.His policies sure adhere to RR when he was President.Reagan don't forget he closed most of the mental hospitals when he was governor in Ca.I remember that distinctly living there and my wife being mentally ill at that time.Perry cares about the rich not the middle class or the poor you can hear and see this in his speeches.Watch out for Perry do not trust him at all!
post #35 of 100
Ron Paul at last nights debate-

"Paul was asked if Perry should get credit for Texas' job growth. Not only did Paul say no, he said that under Perry, his taxes have doubled, the state's debt has tripled, and 170,000 of the state's new jobs were government jobs.

"I'm a taxpayer there," Paul said. "My taxes have gone up. Our taxes have doubled since he took office. Our debt has gone up nearly triple. So no -- and 170,000 of the jobs were government jobs. So I would put a little damper on this, but I don't want to offend the governor because he might raise my taxes or something."
post #36 of 100
Quote:

Congratulations to you. I was not speaking of your point, but of the point being asserted by nvidia2008. But don't let that stop you from pretending otherwise.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #37 of 100
I feel it necessary to post the following disclaimer. I will not likely be voting for Rick Perry. I do not believe that he is the candidate this country needs at this time. Please do not construe my correction of erroneous information as support for his candidacy to any office real or imagined.

Understood?
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #38 of 100
Quote:

I feel it necessary to post the following disclaimer. I will not likely be voting for Rick Perry. I do not believe that he is the candidate this country needs at this time. Please do not construe my correction of erroneous information as support for his candidacy to any office real or imagined.

Understood?

It would be nice if you didn't attempt to correct factual information and replace it with your own erroneous information. Understood?

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #39 of 100
Quote:

It would be nice if you didn't attempt to correct factual information and replace it with your own erroneous information. Understood?

I would appreciate you showing where that was done.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #40 of 100
Quote:

I would appreciate you showing where that was done.

The Galileo thing we JUST talked about...

-Sagan

-Sagan
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Is Rick Perry The Next Ronald Reagan?