or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Vodafone suggests Apple's iPhone 5 will come in 16GB, 32GB capacities
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Vodafone suggests Apple's iPhone 5 will come in 16GB, 32GB capacities

post #1 of 145
Thread Starter 
A product listing on the website for U.K. carrier Vodafone has implied that Apple's next-generation iPhone will be offered in black and white, and available in the same two capacities it has been for years: 16 and 32 gigabytes.

The product page for the Vodafone Sure Signal, which works as a signal booster for the carrier's network, offers a list of phones compatible with the device. The carrier's site makes mention of four "iPhone 5" models, with capacities of 16GB and 32GB and colors of black and white.

Of course, it's possible that the listing is a typo, or even presumptive. But it does mention in addition the iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS and even the iPhone 3G first released in 2008.

If accurate, the mention of a next-generation iPhone would mean that Apple's handset would not gain a 64GB capacity model. Both the iPod touch and iPad have high-end models with 64GB of flash storage available, while the iPhone currently tops off at 32GB.

The page would also suggest that Apple will offer a white variant of its iPhone 5 at launch. Apple had troubles with paint mixtures in assembling its white iPhone 4, and was pushed back 10 months from its originally scheduled June 2010 debut.



While the capacities and colors listed by Vodafone would be identical to the currently available iPhone 4, Apple's next-generation handset is expected to have an 8-megapixel camera for higher resolution photos. The device is also likely to sport the same custom-built A5 processor found in the iPad 2.

Apple is widely expected to have a press event in the coming weeks to publicly unveil its next-generation iPhone. Numerous rumors have suggested the fifth-generation iPhone will go on sale in October.
post #2 of 145
Well, in one way this is wise for Apple - I'm going from a 16GB model to 32 this year, whether it's $200 or $300. Just time to finally upgrade. So they'll make some more money from me with this choice, unfortunate as it is.
post #3 of 145
As expected. This is why I upgraded to new iPhone 4 32GB model today. If the iPhone 5 is that much more significant, I will just buy an unlocked model in 6 months or so.
post #4 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

in the coming weeks to public unveil its next-generation iPhone

Of course, it's possible that the listing is a typo


I'm sorry, the irony was just too rich to pass by.
post #5 of 145
So Apple can save money and focus on other features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A product listing on the website for U.K. carrier Vodafone has
implied that Apple's next-generation iPhone will be offered in black and white, and available in the same two capacities it has been for years: 16 and 32 gigabytes.

The product page for the Vodafone Sure Signal, which works as a signal booster for the carrier's network, offers a list of phones compatible with the device. The carrier's site makes mention of four "iPhone 5" models, with capacities of 16GB and 32GB and colors of black and white.

Of course, it's possible that the listing is a typo, or even presumptive. But it does mention in addition the iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS and even the iPhone 3G first released in 2008.

If accurate, the mention of a next-generation iPhone would mean that Apple's handset would not gain a 64GB capacity model. Both the iPod touch and iPad have high-end models with 64GB of flash storage available, while the iPhone currently tops off at 32GB.

The page would also suggest that Apple will offer a white variant of its iPhone 5 at launch. Apple had troubles with paint mixtures in assembling its white iPhone 4, and was pushed back 10 months from its originally scheduled June 2010 debut.



While the capacities and colors listed by Vodafone would be identical to the currently available iPhone 4, Apple's next-generation handset is expected to have an 8-megapixel camera for higher resolution photos. The device is also likely to sport the same custom-built A5 processor found in the iPad 2.

Apple is widely expected to have a press event in the coming weeks to public unveil its next-generation iPhone. Numerous rumors have suggested the fifth-generation iPhone will go on sale in October.
post #6 of 145
The more capacity the better. I'm not completely sold on 'the cloud'.
post #7 of 145
Why would they bump capacity when they want people to use iCloud? It makes sense given that.
post #8 of 145
iCloud better do some pretty amazing things with storage needs, cause 32GB was too little for the iPhone4. To not upgrade the capacity again would be just evil.
post #9 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunhussey View Post

Why would they bump capacity when they want people to use iCloud? It makes sense given that.

we must rethink local storage just like apple had us rethink processor speeds and memory, and networking, appstore , physical media, it goes on and on

ios uses memory and storage much more efficiently than other "smartphones" using touch screens

why push the "airs" which such limited storage, we don't need such large local storage i added a 500gb hd to my white c2d macbook, why....not needed,with iCloud--if all purchases are auto saved, then your needed storage is even less, and cheap

iCloud is the new "efficiency" streaming and everywhere net access is our new reality it is also another lockin for apple
create loyalty with services
iCloud, itunes, iPHones, iTouch, TV macs,appstore its all about the synergy
that's what all the others lack which puts apple years ahead
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
post #10 of 145
And no more unlimited data plans. So monthly charges will just get higher and higher.
post #11 of 145
Some of you are clearly confused. iCloud has nothing to do with this as you can't actually stream your junk. If you have a fully loaded iPhone, in order for you to download something else from iCloud, you'll have to delete something from your iPhone. Just how does that help?
post #12 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post

Some of you are clearly confused. iCloud has nothing to do with this as you can't actually stream your junk. If you have a fully loaded iPhone, in order for you to download something else from iCloud, you'll have to delete something from your iPhone. Just how does that help?

with iCloud, you don't have to keep so much locally, and switch out,
i don't need to keep 500 pictures, 500 songs, 10 movies and 200 apps on my iPhone
i just keep what i will use "now" then switch out, i can replace at will

how much of my stuff do i need to keep, immediately available, thats why i say we will rethink how and how much we keep locally, its all available to you
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
post #13 of 145
Can't wait, gonna be buying a 32GB. Don't need much more space this that, I still have like 5GB on my iPhone 4.
White Nexus 7 8GB
Black & Slate iPhone 5 32GB AT&T
Reply
White Nexus 7 8GB
Black & Slate iPhone 5 32GB AT&T
Reply
post #14 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunhussey View Post

Why would they bump capacity when they want people to use iCloud? It makes sense given that.

Something they see as a future solution isn't going to stop incremental upgrades today. With things like storage they seem to use the largest reliable standard that fits their manufacturing budget. This is completely normal, and it will not prevent icloud from developing further.
post #15 of 145
Sure that could happen however that will use data. Given the paucity of data plans (at least in the US) I do not want to be having to pay for more data just because of limited space on my phone.

64 GB makes sense and I would be surprised if Apple stick with 32GB for the second model running.

I'm ready to replace my 3GS 32GB. It would be ideal if my next model was 64GB.
post #16 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

The more capacity the better. I'm not completely sold on 'the cloud'.

And the apps has to be stored locally. I don't even sync all apps I have and have over 16 gig.
post #17 of 145
May be of significance in the future. Apple rethought storage and wants the cloud but service providers rethought data plans and have more or less vaporized the cloud with low overpriced data plans. All of their claims about the few data hogs causing network problems fail under scrutiny and their claims are false. They need to invest in upgrading their system and stop gouging the customers and stalling technology. Only hope now MAY be sprint. But who knows how long that'll last til they follow suit. As we see it is all about GREED. The American dream or so it now seems.
post #18 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogGone View Post

Sure that could happen however that will use data. Given the paucity of data plans (at least in the US) I do not want to be having to pay for more data just because of limited space on my phone.

64 GB makes sense and I would be surprised if Apple stick with 32GB for the second model running.

I'm ready to replace my 3GS 32GB. It would be ideal if my next model was 64GB.

It is a problem to fit 64GB inside an iPhone. iPod Touch can have 64gig since it does not need logic board for data/more.

Memory technology has shrunk since the last iPhone. But I believe Apple instead of going 64gig, will make the iPhone thinner.

Way back in the iPod days, Apple had 2 thickness of the iPods. The thicker model had double the space. I wish Apple could do something like this for the iPhone. Have a bit thicker model with 64gig.
post #19 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post

Some of you are clearly confused. iCloud has nothing to do with this as you can't actually stream your junk. If you have a fully loaded iPhone, in order for you to download something else from iCloud, you'll have to delete something from your iPhone. Just how does that help?

Quite. Fair point, and well made. No increase in device memory in years is a nonsense.

This, though, is probably just a guess by a Vodaphone designer. Or a marketing ploy. They probably have no idea.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #20 of 145
Yeah fitting 64GB chips inside the device isn't a realistic expectation, and I don't think it's something that anyone needs to be honest. Whiners are always out in force though.
post #21 of 145
Everybody is a memory expert. These days.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #22 of 145
I hope that there is a 64GB model. I am sick of having less music on my phone than the ipod I had in 2006. 32 is so so so far from enough... I am constantly having to remove musci and podcasts. I never load videos, and have very few large games. Really hoping this turns out to be incorrect.
post #23 of 145
Well, duh.

Last time I checked Vodafone doesn't make Flash Memory, but Toshiba, Samsung, Micron and others do.

Unless they say 128GB Flash for smartphones or 64GB are coming no one should wonder what the new phone capacities will be.
post #24 of 145
With 8MP camera and 720p, music, aps and games... I need 64gigs at least. I don't want to use the Cloud; I want to be able to access everything I have without the need for an internet connection (which is NOT always available, and you all know it).
post #25 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by KP* View Post

iCloud better do some pretty amazing things with storage needs, cause 32GB was too little for the iPhone4. To not upgrade the capacity again would be just evil.

I know everyone's needs are different but 32gb of space should not run dry. That us unless you're trying to to have EVERYTHING on your phone. In which case you need a dropbox subscription.

32gb is enough space for an acceptable about of music vids and apps.
post #26 of 145
I don't see it happening. 32gb is enough. I know it apple knows it. Running low on space? Remove the apps you use only twice a year. Clear out the songs you never play. Move the videos you never watch to your desktop.

Other than icloud i dont see Apple playing to user inefficiencies when it comes to storage.
post #27 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmythe00 View Post

I don't see it happening. 32gb is enough. I know it apple knows it. Running low on space? Remove the apps you use only twice a year. Clear out the songs you never play. Move the videos you never watch to your desktop.

Yeah, manually manage your storage usage.

Gee, sounds very Apple-like, doesn't it?

Nah, no it doesn't.

They'll put 64 gig in there when they can do it for a profitable price and in the space they've decided they can spare. They certainly won't hold it back for a ridiculous reason like what's said above.
post #28 of 145
32gb?? Pfft... Apple you annoy me, only with this.
1) Give me 64GB!
2) I don't care if you have 16, 32 and then a 64 with. $200 price premium and a large lump in the back of the case to fit the chips, just give me 64 gb!!
3) OR and SD slot, but I'd rather fixed storage.

GIVE ME 64GB!!
post #29 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by darwiniandude View Post


GIVE ME 64GB!!

I used to feel this way. Always got the biggest and baddest iPhone.
Then I got an iPad with 64G.
All of a sudden I realized that I'm no longer using the memory on my iPhone.

Guess I'll be saving $100 when the iP5 comes out. Mostly, I use my iPhone for phone calls and texts these days.
post #30 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by darwiniandude View Post

32gb?? Pfft... Apple you annoy me, only with this.
1) Give me 64GB!
2) I don't care if you have 16, 32 and then a 64 with. $200 price premium and a large lump in the back of the case to fit the chips, just give me 64 gb!!
3) OR and SD slot, but I'd rather fixed storage.

GIVE ME 64GB!!

Don't buy one.
post #31 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by KP* View Post

iCloud better do some pretty amazing things with storage needs, cause 32GB was too little for the iPhone4. To not upgrade the capacity again would be just evil.

Speak for yourself. For 95% of people, 32GB is more than they could ever dream to use. Trust me, I know a ton of people with iPhone 4s, and I have a good sense of how they use them. Yes, there will always be the minority with higher demands, but I don't think Apple should cater to this small minority by bumping capacity of all models at the expense of price or other features. Its just not worth it, and for most the benefits are minimal or non-existent.
post #32 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmythe00 View Post

I don't see it happening. 32gb is enough. I know it apple knows it. Running low on space? Remove the apps you use only twice a year. Clear out the songs you never play. Move the videos you never watch to your desktop.

Other than icloud i dont see Apple playing to user inefficiencies when it comes to storage.

Who are you to decide how everyone else uses their devices? Your needs are not my needs, are not someone else's needs.

Right now, I have about 8 GB free on my 32 GB iPhone. Yet I have no music on it. I could probably find a way to pare down what's on there, but it is not possible to pare it down enough to fit all the music I want to carry with me.

Relying on iCloud to cover the difference is just asking for a monster OMG moment phone bill. Ironically, just one such "extreme data usage" phone bill would be enough to pay for the extra 32 GB, and without the problems of occasional signal loss to boot.

Apple: Please make a 64 GB iPhone. Please make a 64 GB iPhone. Please make a 64 GB iPhone. Please make a 64 GB iPhone. Please make a 64 GB iPhone. Please make a 64 GB iPhone. Please make a 64 GB iPhone. Please make a 64 GB iPhone. That capacity is overdue already.
post #33 of 145
The simplest solution is for Apple to put an SD card slot on the side just like it does with the SIM cards on it iPhones. Then we could add our own memory cards without Apple having to increase the internal storage...Like that will ever happen.
post #34 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Speak for yourself. For 95% of people, 32GB is more than they could ever dream to use. Trust me, I know a ton of people with iPhone 4s, and I have a good sense of how they use them. Yes, there will always be the minority with higher demands, but I don't think Apple should cater to this small minority by bumping capacity of all models at the expense of price or other features. Its just not worth it, and for most the benefits are minimal or non-existent.

Yeah, Apple shouldn't cater to the 5% who want the biggest and best, they should worry about the other 95% who just need something good enough.

Sounds just like how they run the rest of their product lines, doesn't it?
post #35 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

The simplest solution is for Apple to put an SD card slot on the side just like it does with the SIM cards on it iPhones. Then we could add our own memory cards without Apple having to increase the internal storage...Like that will ever happen.

Creating the space for a SD slot will take many many times more internal volume than an additional 32 GB chip. SD card = bad idea. Best idea would be to find a single 64GB chip so that the space usage is the same as a single 32 or single 16GB chip. I'm sure they exist, after all this time. If it's super expensive, then adjust the price of the phone accordingly. There is clearly enough volume worldwide to justify it for a premium product. Lord knows Apple sells plenty of other super premium products to small volume markets that require a lot more extra work than simply finding the largest chip out there.

Edit: http://www.geek.com/articles/mobile/...one-5-2011046/


Quote:
The other good news is the storage options on these SmartNAND chips goes up to 64GB with the 64GB model set to appear by August. However, as we all know from experience, Apple likes to be first to market with new components if it sees an advantage in using them.
post #36 of 145
This makes no sense when the second best-selling iPad model is the 64GB/3G model.

As someone who spends their commute underground, I would love a 64GB or 128GB option - and I'm willing to pay a premium.
post #37 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

The simplest solution is for Apple to put an SD card slot on the side just like it does with the SIM cards on it iPhones. Then we could add our own memory cards without Apple having to increase the internal storage...Like that will ever happen.

Exactly. So why even bother bringing it up? If a majority of people cared about doing that, Apple would have done it with the 1st-gen iPhone. They obviously don't. Most people couldn't care less about expanding their phone's memory.
post #38 of 145
iPod touch gets 64GB. iPhone does not. It's how Apple differentiates. Maybe when the iPod touch can go to 128GB for a reasonable profit margin, the iPhone will go to 64GB?
post #39 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

iPod touch gets 64GB.

It already has that. Two 32GB chips, which is how the iPhone has a 32GB option.

The iPod touch could get two 64GB chips this year, meaning 128GB and likely the retirement of the iPod classic.
post #40 of 145
Sigh...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Vodafone suggests Apple's iPhone 5 will come in 16GB, 32GB capacities