or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Vodafone suggests Apple's iPhone 5 will come in 16GB, 32GB capacities

Vodafone suggests Apple's iPhone 5 will come in 16GB, 32GB capacities - Page 3

post #81 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpnorton82 View Post

Why own an iPhone then?

Straight answer: I won it.
Real answer: Why should I be forced to have a data plan to enjoy an iOS-based phone? No other OS comes close to the phone features or ease of use.
post #82 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Can someone point me to A SINGLE PHONE that has 64GB built in memory? Yeah, didn't think so. I love how people are acting like 64GB is whats normal these days, when pretty much not a single consumer phone has this capacity.

Because Apple's reputation and success are based on perpetuating what's "normal", yes?

IF this rumor is true, it may be because of what everyone is saying about Apple pushing iCloud - NOT because a 64GB phone isn't "normal".
post #83 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Straight answer: I won it.
Real answer: Why should I be forced to have a data plan to enjoy an iOS-based phone? No other OS comes close to the phone features or ease of use.

You asked the question and then you answered it
post #84 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkettpolitur View Post

I hate having to carefully curate my 170 GB music collection for my iPhone, it's a real pain in the ass. iTunes Match won't save me for the time being, because
1) it won't be available in Europe, at least not for quite a while
2) like most people I have a strictly capped data allowance on my iPhone. My provider throttles my 3G-speeds after 500 MB. Yes, that's MEGABYTES. Such practices are par for the course in Europe.

So, I would have jumped at a 64 GB iPhone. Oh well.

Where in Europe are you? Here in Sweden, all of our carriers start throttling speeds at 10 GB of data...

Here's the thing, 80% of my daily grind on the weekdays involves being at work or at home, where there is a very strong and reliable wireless signal. Then I am not using 3G at all. When I am out on the town at restaurants or coffee shops, I tend to be interacting socially with people around me, not hunched over my chair fiddling with my iPhone or iPad, or using either as an iPod to isolate myself by listening to music, that would be rude to the people I am hanging out with.

When I am relying on my 3G connection on my daily commute, it is to access my work network via VPN to access files and such, not to stream music or videos, although I do have that capability to VPN into my home network to do that if I want. My data usage has never gotten to half of what I'm allowed...

I realize that I am maybe not the most hard core use case, but as others have noted earlier, and I have myself, your device doesn't have the juice for you to go through and even use all of those 32GB of data on one charge, let alone 64GB, and what's the problem with wireless syncing while you are charging it up at night, if you even make it that long.

I would much rather they fitted a larger battery in place of another 32GB SSD module!
| 1TB 2.66 GHz C2D Mac mini Server | 32GB 3G Black iPad 2 | Apple TV 2 | 256GB 1.8 GHz i7 11" Macbook Air | 16GB Black iPhone 4S |
| 1TB 2.66 GHz C2D Mac mini Server | 32GB 3G Black iPad 2 | Apple TV 2 | 256GB 1.8 GHz i7 11" Macbook Air | 16GB Black iPhone 4S |
post #85 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

we must rethink local storage just like apple had us rethink processor speeds and memory, and networking, appstore , physical media, it goes on and on

ios uses memory and storage much more efficiently than other "smartphones" using touch screens

why push the "airs" which such limited storage, we don't need such large local storage i added a 500gb hd to my white c2d macbook, why....not needed,with iCloud--if all purchases are auto saved, then your needed storage is even less, and cheap

iCloud is the new "efficiency" streaming and everywhere net access is our new reality it is also another lockin for apple
create loyalty with services
iCloud, itunes, iPHones, iTouch, TV macs,appstore its all about the synergy
that's what all the others lack which puts apple years ahead

The only problem is the extortionate data rates on AT&T and other carriers. There's no way I'd rely on the cloud for my data if I have to pay for all the data transfer.

Now, if the system will let me sync data only via WiFi, it becomes a little better, but it wouldn't take long of being away from WiFi to run up a huge bill.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #86 of 145
Quote:

Heck yes, it is. The only reason I never had service with my first-gen iPhone was the forced data plan. I refuse to pay for something I don't need, don't want, and wouldn't use.

Buy it unlocked? Go to any store and buy a prepaid SIM??
post #87 of 145
Iphone 5 has been removed from the website.
post #88 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkettpolitur View Post

I hate having to carefully curate my 170 GB music collection for my iPhone, it's a real pain in the ass. ...

You have to realise what a tiny minority section of users you are in though.

The only way to have 170GB of music is if you use lossless compression. Almost no one uses lossless and of course the files are each going to be roughly ten times the size of a normal AAC music file. You are the author of your own problems here for the most part.
post #89 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyopicPaideia View Post

I laughed out loud when you said that Urge Overkill was obscure, that was funny...but that's besides the point. ...

I laughed out loud when you implied that Urge Overkill was some kind of mainstream or popular band.
post #90 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

... More and more commonly, the standard unit of consumption is the discography, and the standard format is lossless. But with the ultra-low capacity of the iPhone, you can't store much. ...

Aside from the atrocious grammar, this is just an insane set of comments.

The "standard format" is not lossless by a country mile, (almost no one uses it in fact), and the idea that iPods and iPhone's (that currently have the largest storage capacity on the market by far), are "ultra-low capacity" devices is just ridiculous.

Please look up the term "hyperbole."
post #91 of 145
Quote:

Buy it unlocked? Go to any store and buy a prepaid SIM??

How many times do I have to say it? This does not work in the U.S.
post #92 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Almost no one uses lossless and of course the files are each going to be roughly ten times the size of a normal AAC music file. You are the author of your own problems here for the most part.

Not to split hairs and your point is still valid, but with the average bit rate moving from 128kbps to 256kbps it's moved from about 8x to about 4x with ALAC being about 1,024kbps.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #93 of 145
This really disappoints me, if true. I understand the whole iCloud thing and I am really looking forward to using it- for what it is intended to be: a wireless real-time backup system and a way to access apps or media I do not use frequently. But the idea of me having to wait for things to download every time I hit something beyond the 32GB capacity of my current phone is really frustrating. Apple needs to develop its cloud services around the idea of being transparent, background backups and not something where people come to rely on the network connection all the time.

The fact is, google maps should be able to operate without a network connection- to a point with local caching of map files.

Safari should have options to download your favorite bookmarked websites in the background while surfing on wifi- again, to the point of cache size.

Safari should be checking each downloaded asset in realtime against its cache and looking for a matching code that shows that the gif or jpeg file it is about to download is already in the cache.

Apple should be moving iOS towards making the mobile device rely on 3rd party networks as little as possible, not constantly rely on it. I hope that Apple is actually moving iOS in this direction, not towards a constant reliance on a network.

That is, o course, unless they are buying Sprint and making the iNetwork
post #94 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by iansilv View Post

This really disappoints me, if true. I understand the whole iCloud thing and I am really looking forward to using it- for what it is intended to be: a wireless real-time backup system and a way to access apps or media I do not use frequently. But the idea of me having to wait for things to download every time I hit something beyond the 32GB capacity of my current phone is really frustrating. Apple needs to develop its cloud services around the idea of being transparent, background backups and not something where people come to rely on the network connection all the time.

How exactly would you propose Apple design a system that doesn't require downloading data when you request something not in your device?

Quote:
The fact is, google maps should be able to operate without a network connection- to a point with local caching of map files.

Safari should have options to download your favorite bookmarked websites in the background while surfing on wifi- again, to the point of cache size.

Safari should be checking each downloaded asset in realtime against its cache and looking for a matching code that shows that the gif or jpeg file it is about to download is already in the cache.

Apple should be moving iOS towards making the mobile device rely on 3rd party networks as little as possible, not constantly rely on it. I hope that Apple is actually moving iOS in this direction, not towards a constant reliance on a network.

That is, o course, unless they are buying Sprint and making the iNetwork

Nonsense. Everywhere connectivity is the future (and the present, by the way). While Apple should certainly be doing what it can to optimize the device to do smart things, do you really think your examples above would make even a tiny impact? I mean, how often do you, on your iPhone, browse back to a site often enough that the images on it are the same? I mean really? And downloading all your favorites when on wifi just in case? What is this, 1995? Where everyone is on dial-up?
post #95 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunhussey View Post

Why would they bump capacity when they want people to use iCloud? It makes sense given that.

Because some people like to not use their limited data plans (no thanks to AT&T and Verizon) every time they press "play" on their iPod.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #96 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Because some people like to not use their limited data plans (no thanks to AT&T and Verizon) every time they press "play" on their iPod.

By the way you KNOW it's going to be possible to tell the iPhone only to download iCloud media over wifi, or to request permission when on 3G first. It's not going to just download indiscriminately without warning.
post #97 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

By the way you KNOW it's going to be possible to tell the iPhone only to download iCloud media over wifi, or to request permission when on 3G first. It's not going to just download indiscriminately without warning.

Oh, hey.
post #98 of 145
All this bitching and moaning about using iCloud to download one of your songs to your iPhone...

Do you remember when you actually had to PLUG IN your iPhone to get new songs on it?
post #99 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

All this bitching and moaning about using iCloud to download one of your songs to your iPhone...

Do you remember when you actually had to PLUG IN your iPhone to get new songs on it?

I remember that. I remember in 1.1.2 that we had a fully-built multiple Home Screen function (the kind that we have now, swipe to move between them and dots to indicate where you are and how many) but you had to be jailbroken to actually have enough apps for it to show up.
post #100 of 145
Quote:

Oh, hey.

Just as I said. If you choose.
post #101 of 145
Quote:

I remember that. I remember in 1.1.2 that we had a fully-built multiple Home Screen function (the kind that we have now, swipe to move between them and dots to indicate where you are and how many) but you had to be jailbroken to actually have enough apps for it to show up.

I don't have a 1.1.2 device to check but I'd guess that was a legit feature for those who saved a load of bookmarks to the home screen.

----

This info from Vodafone adds no value at all to the discussion...

...but that said I do think we should should be ready for 16/32GB iPhones again for several reasons:
- WiFi syncing makes it easier to update and replace your content rather than carrying it all.
- Need to be aggressive with the pricing on the handsets
- Reduction in Japanese Industry capacity with potential effect on flash production
- More of us have iPads which do duty as the video player freeing up iPhone memory space.
- Apple probably has stats which tell them that on average the user uses only xx GB (I know my wife wouldn't be bothered if she only had 4GB on her iPhone 4).
post #102 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

I don't have a 1.1.2 device to check but I'd guess that was a legit feature for those who saved a load of bookmarks to the home screen.

You couldn't do that yet.
post #103 of 145
for me, 8GB will do juuuust fine.
sent from my... internet browser of choice.
sent from my... internet browser of choice.
post #104 of 145
Quote:

Great. Now instead of just pressing play, I'll have to answer additional pop-ups to listen to my music, including the one to disable airplane mode. Maybe I'll get an iPod Classic. It Just Works

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #105 of 145
Quote:

I have a pretty huge music collection and carry most of it around with me and I can get by with 32GB. The average person is not going to be put out by "only" having 32GB of space on their phone.

If you truly have a huge music collection, and it fits in 32G, then you must have an awful lot of low bitrate rips. Yeah, most people don't give a hoot about quality, audio or otherwise.

But Apple customers used to be folks who thought different. Now the chorus is singing the "its good enough for most people" tune, implying that the lowest common denominator is Apple's sweet spot. How times have changed.
post #106 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Great. Now instead of just pressing play, I'll have to answer additional pop-ups to listen to my music, including the one to disable airplane mode. Maybe I'll get an iPod Classic. It Just Works

Lotta whining. This only gives you more options than you had before. Sounds like you should probably get a Droid so you don't have to worry about all these extra features that require you to answer annoying questions.
post #107 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by resnyc View Post

Because Apple's reputation and success are based on perpetuating what's "normal", yes?

IF this rumor is true, it may be because of what everyone is saying about Apple pushing iCloud - NOT because a 64GB phone isn't "normal".

The new meme seems to be that "good enough for most people" means "good enough for Apple".

How quickly they forget: Windows is plenty good enough for 95% of computer users. Does that mean it is good enough for Apple?
post #108 of 145
Quote:

The comment about showing a good example of the Coen Brothers - are you serious? "Here, let's just crowd around my phone together and watch Fargo!" Yeah right!

Actually, I was thinking that it could be displayed on the big screen TV and played over the multichannel sound system.

You can do that with an iPhone, right?
post #109 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

When did Apple ever declare the iPhone to be a full capacity, pocket-sized media server?

When did anybody suggest that Apple did any such thing?

Why is an absent declaration relevant to the amount of storage one might want to have on their pocket computer?
post #110 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmythe00 View Post

I know everyone's needs are different but 32gb of space should not run dry. That us unless you're trying to to have EVERYTHING on your phone. In which case you need a dropbox subscription.

32gb is enough space for an acceptable about of music vids and apps.

So?? Back in the eighties, they said that a 20 MB (megabytes, not gigabytes) was enough for a hard drive.

Yet, here we are with 3TB drives looking for more. I for one see nothing wrong with a 64 or 128GB model. I rather take more storage in my phone than more power-hungry radios to cover the mess of US cell frequency bands and competing technologies.
post #111 of 145
Quote:

You have to realise what a tiny minority section of users you are in though.

The only way to have 170GB of music is if you use lossless compression. Almost no one uses lossless and of course the files are each going to be roughly ten times the size of a normal AAC music file. You are the author of your own problems here for the most part.

I barely have any lossless files, I just like music.
post #112 of 145
Quote:

The only way to have 170GB of music is if you use lossless compression.

Bunk.

Quote:

Almost no one uses lossless

Bunk.
post #113 of 145
Quote:

Where in Europe are you? Here in Sweden, all of our carriers start throttling speeds at 10 GB of data...

Here's the thing, 80% of my daily grind on the weekdays involves being at work or at home, where there is a very strong and reliable wireless signal. Then I am not using 3G at all. When I am out on the town at restaurants or coffee shops, I tend to be interacting socially with people around me, not hunched over my chair fiddling with my iPhone or iPad, or using either as an iPod to isolate myself by listening to music, that would be rude to the people I am hanging out with.

When I am relying on my 3G connection on my daily commute, it is to access my work network via VPN to access files and such, not to stream music or videos, although I do have that capability to VPN into my home network to do that if I want. My data usage has never gotten to half of what I'm allowed...

I realize that I am maybe not the most hard core use case, but as others have noted earlier, and I have myself, your device doesn't have the juice for you to go through and even use all of those 32GB of data on one charge, let alone 64GB, and what's the problem with wireless syncing while you are charging it up at night, if you even make it that long.

I would much rather they fitted a larger battery in place of another 32GB SSD module!

Switzerland. We're kind of a developing country when it comes to cell phones and stuff. It's not that I'm incredibly reliant on 3G either, by the way, but 500 MB is an insanely low allowance, and we're certainly not the only country with strict data caps. iCloud and iTunes Match will be great, but I'll be wary of the increase in data usage these new features will undoubtedly bring.

I do share your priorities though, I'd take more battery life over more storage any day. Still, having to filter and curate my music through convoluted playlists is probably the thing that aggravates me the most about my iPhone. With an Android device, I could at least pop in a 64 GB SD card filled with music.
post #114 of 145
Quote:

Aside from the atrocious grammar, this is just an insane set of comments.

The "standard format" is not lossless by a country mile, (almost no one uses it in fact), and the idea that iPods and iPhone's (that currently have the largest storage capacity on the market by far), are "ultra-low capacity" devices is just ridiculous.

Please look up the term "hyperbole."

I said " More and more commonly, the standard [a] is [b], and the standard [x] is [y]."

Parse it in any manner you wish.
post #115 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

If you truly have a huge music collection, and it fits in 32G, then you must have an awful lot of low bitrate rips. Yeah, most people don't give a hoot about quality, audio or otherwise.

But Apple customers used to be folks who thought different. Now the chorus is singing the "its good enough for most people" tune, implying that the lowest common denominator is Apple's sweet spot. How times have changed.

No, I don't think it implies the lowest common denominator is Apple's sweet spot. Apple isn't aiming to satisfy the bottom 25% and calling it "good enough". Likewise, I don't think they or any other rational company aims to satisfy the most demanding 2% or so of users and declaring that meeting their needs is essential.
post #116 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

No, I don't think it implies the lowest common denominator is Apple's sweet spot. Apple isn't aiming to satisfy the bottom 25% and calling it "good enough". Likewise, I don't think they or any other rational company aims to satisfy the most demanding 2% or so of users and declaring that meeting their needs is essential.

Exactly.

I've also heard Apple described as a 90-90 company...

What will 90% of people do 90% of the time?
post #117 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Exactly.

I've also heard Apple described as a 90-90 company...

What will 90% of people do 90% of the time?

I agree. But if there exists a 64GB chip that takes the same space and power as a 32GB chip, I think Apple should try to accommodate that segment of the market who will pay more for it. There have been 32GB chips for 2 years that do it, one would think that there would by now be a 64 GB chip. Toshiba was set to release a chip in the July/August timeframe that would fit the bill, the question is whether that chip made it to production and how much it costs.
post #118 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by success View Post

Who cares? I'll buy whatever it is because I'm an Apple whore. Feels so good.

yea man.....digg it
i spent lots to get the 3g (yes 3g) with 16 "just in case"
my wifes 8 is small with her audiobooks and music she has about 2gb left, but
when ios5.o and iCloud comes out i will be combing this site to see if it works to what i think it does

assuming IP5 is good for all carriers, then i will be buying it as soon as it is announced, getting my apple store app on my iphone 3g ready but i will buy one as a whore would do 16 will be enogh

I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
post #119 of 145
hmmm, I think I should read more of these threads...I had a bad impression of Apple fans but you guys seem to know your shit...kudos.
post #120 of 145
Quote:

I agree. But if there exists a 64GB chip that takes the same space and power as a 32GB chip, I think Apple should try to accommodate that segment of the market who will pay more for it. There have been 32GB chips for 2 years that do it, one would think that there would by now be a 64 GB chip. Toshiba was set to release a chip in the July/August timeframe that would fit the bill, the question is whether that chip made it to production and how much it costs.

Yeah... either they could make the flagship iPhone in 32GB and 64GB... and keep them at the existing price points...

Or... like you said... add a 64GB model for $399.

Fingers crossed
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Vodafone suggests Apple's iPhone 5 will come in 16GB, 32GB capacities