or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › 'Unprecedented' demand for Apple's iPhone 5 exceeds iPhone 4 hype

'Unprecedented' demand for Apple's iPhone 5 exceeds iPhone 4 hype - Page 3

post #81 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

He directed specific attention to the iPad and education. As far as I can tell, Apple's educational discounts are pretty modest and fairly evenly applied across their product lines. It's not like Microsoft's bargain basement educational pricing for Office.

Without evidence of special educational iPad discounting, one cannot make the assumption that they are pushing that particular product line more than any other. If they were doing something like waiving their 30% fee for educational app purchases, that would be notable, but we're not seeing any evidence of that.

If anything, they are showing more emphasis on Macs. They are still carrying the white polycarbonate MacBook for educational institutions.

In any case, we'd definitely hear about extra educational discounts on iPads in the media by educational institutions if they were really being promoted even if confidentiality prevented those organizations from specifying the terms.

Yes, I did "direct specific attention to the iPad and education", but not anything about extra discounts. It is more along the lines of heavy sales push to replace text books with iPads for schools. My school district has been approached to test replacement of bulky books with the iPad2.

You don't have to cut prices or offers steeper discounts if the product is better and you can show it saves money. Apple is making a large push to show that the iPad could be a major cost saver for schools, even purchased at full price.
post #82 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by fazworld View Post

lamewing,

how did you transfer your phone number to another phone without signing another contract?

>> I am in that boat. I sold my out of warranty 3GS phone last month and am currently using my Samsung Focus (not Mango - I wish) until Apple releases the iPhone 5. I will upgrade and renew my contract if the new iPhone is more than an incremental update. If it is just a minor update I will keep using my Samsung Focus and relegate my app usage/music enjoyment to my iPod Touch.

Can't you pop the sim card in a new phone and it will ring your phone number?
post #83 of 109
Let me get this straight. Apple has not announced the existence of "iPhone 5" or ever acknowledged that is the chosen name of the next version of iPhone, so ChangeWave calls it "iPhone 5" and does a survey on it? Next survey: how many people want to buy a "BMW X8"? We just made the name up, but hey, valid survey question, right?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #84 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytdave View Post

Yes, the iPod is the gateway drug to the iPhone (grin, couldn't resist), but I think someone has their demographics mixed up, and sometimes experimenters don't become addicts. Different places in the country/world may have different scenarios, but I'm in a fairly well educated demographic, where the iPod touch is being used by 8-12 year old kids, and the teens (13-19) have already 'graduated' to smart phones, all of them. Literally, I don't think there is a teen on our block without a smartphone.

The iPhone indeed seems to be selling to a lucrative 25-49 year old age group... The problem is the 13-19 group I just mentioned. That age group, in the area where I live, already have smartphones and they're mostly Android. The 20-25 year old folks seem to be mixed ~50/50.

Apple does need to captivate more teen attention in the iPhone department, because those future customers are leaning toward Android.

I think someone else hit on the much more practical reason for the popularity of the Android platform with the younger age groups... Price.

Let's face it, a LOT of parent are pretty hard pressed to shell out the extra money for an iPhone for junior. Especially if you have a couple of them running around. Couple that with the fact that the iPhone service plans are significantly more expensive than you could find with say an Android phone on Sprint. You do the math... If you have a pair of teenagers at home you can buy them both a new Android phone for the price of a single iPhone, and then you can probably save another $50+ per month on the service plan. When you factor in cheerleading, karate, tutoring, the bump in your car insurance rates once they start driving, saving several hundred a year on the cell phone bill is a big incentive to NOT buying them iPhones.

The other aspect to this is that those who's parents let them choose what to do with their allowances... Junior can blow ALL his monthly stipend on his iPhone or he can have an extra $40 per month by shopping around for a cheaper alternative. The college crowd is pretty much the same. iPhone or an extra $40 or so per month for beer?

Price is the determining factor here. My guess is that a significant portion of these people using Androids would have iPhones if there was no difference in price.
post #85 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by airnerd View Post

Can't you pop the sim card in a new phone and it will ring your phone number?

you can't just take out the sim card and put it into another phone. in fact, the 3GS doesn't have a removable sim card.
post #86 of 109
Quote:

you can't just take out the sim card and put it into another phone. in fact, the 3GS doesn't have a removable sim card.

You're terrible at lying. Unless by "3GS" you mean "some other phone that isn't an iPhone at all".

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

post #87 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by svnipp View Post

I think someone else hit on the much more practical reason for the popularity of the Android platform with the younger age groups... Price.

Let's face it, a LOT of parent are pretty hard pressed to shell out the extra money for an iPhone for junior. Especially if you have a couple of them running around. Couple that with the fact that the iPhone service plans are significantly more expensive than you could find with say an Android phone on Sprint. You do the math... If you have a pair of teenagers at home you can buy them both a new Android phone for the price of a single iPhone, and then you can probably save another $50+ per month on the service plan. When you factor in cheerleading, karate, tutoring, the bump in your car insurance rates once they start driving, saving several hundred a year on the cell phone bill is a big incentive to NOT buying them iPhones.

The other aspect to this is that those who's parents let them choose what to do with their allowances... Junior can blow ALL his monthly stipend on his iPhone or he can have an extra $40 per month by shopping around for a cheaper alternative. The college crowd is pretty much the same. iPhone or an extra $40 or so per month for beer?

Price is the determining factor here. My guess is that a significant portion of these people using Androids would have iPhones if there was no difference in price.

sprint has unlimited data, but with family plans it's more expensive than AT&T. i'm on a 4 line plan and always look t switch but the price is always the same.

the reason android is popular is that decent phones like the mytouch 4g or htc inspire can be had for $50 or less. and HTC phones withstand more damage. i've dropped mine on concrete with no protection and came away with a small scuff on the back

dropped my ipad 2 while in a case and shattered the screen. good thing apple replaces it for free on a case by case basis

iphone + case + activation is $300 for low end one. and apple is always changing the design just a little so you can't share cases between generations
post #88 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompr View Post

The SEC filings show Apple's healthy overall margins, but they don't break them down by product or by discount. So the bottom line is, you don't really know.

Thompson

Uh... no, one can make a reasonably fine-grained guess, based on data about component costs (i.e., costs of goods sold), and allocation of SGA dollars. Even if one were to assume the a pretty aggressive SGA allocation, the margins come out pretty darn good on the iPad.
post #89 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Let me get this straight. Apple has not announced the existence of "iPhone 5" or ever acknowledged that is the chosen name of the next version of iPhone, so ChangeWave calls it "iPhone 5" and does a survey on it? Next survey: how many people want to buy a "BMW X8"? We just made the name up, but hey, valid survey question, right?

Best post of the thread!
post #90 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I think you're going to have to come up with a better example. Based upon this example I would conclude that this imaginary BMW is a super high end SUV. I would also guess that this would sell for north of 6 figures. These two assumptions alone take your potential market from tens of millions down to tens of thousands, and that's being generous. Furthermore, I would guess that the "install base" of the BMW X series of vehicles is probably in the several tens of thousands range, or maybe even 100K+ but certainly quite short of the millions of iPhones. This relatively limited "install base" means that a significantly smaller number of people have any experience with the potential product.

Provide an example of a product that is less then the annual salary of most Americans. Provide an example of an incremental upgrade to a product that most people are familiar with. This will get you a better result.

Ask this question of a BMW owners group and see what kind of response you get. I'm sure you'll get some enthusiastic response.
post #91 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You're terrible at lying. Unless by "3GS" you mean "some other phone that isn't an iPhone at all".

I never knew you can do that? And I'm not talking about hacking it or anything.. Does that mean I can take out a SIM card from another ATT phone and put it into my original iPhone and make it work?
post #92 of 109
Quote:

I never knew you can do that? And I'm not talking about hacking it or anything.. Does that mean I can take out a SIM card from another ATT phone and put it into my original iPhone and make it work?

I don't see why not. The original iPhone's the only one that you don't have to have a forced data plan, too, so yeah, it'll work fine and AT&T won't give a crap. You can use whatever plan you have now.

post #93 of 109
Quote:

What kind of rip off 3GS are you using?
post #94 of 109
Quote:

Yes, as long as it is an ATT phone. When my wifes iphone broke, I popped her sim out and put it in mine since she was expecting a call. Worked fine. I've never gone from iphone to non-iphone, but i can't remember seeing that the sim cards were different.
post #95 of 109
Quote:

I don't see why not. The original iPhone's the only one that you don't have to have a forced data plan, too, so yeah, it'll work fine and AT&T won't give a crap. You can use whatever plan you have now.

If you put that into a 3G iphone, would you just stay on Edge or wifi?
post #96 of 109
https://twitter.com/brentgrinna/stat...89242800697344

Via Asymco yesterday. 70% if devices in Harvard network iOS, about 20% Android.

so much for the HTC guy.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #97 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by airnerd View Post

If you put that into a 3G iphone, would you just stay on Edge or wifi?

Hmm? If you put any SIM in a phone, you can use the capabilities of the phone to its fullest. The hardware capabilities of the phone are based on the phone, not the plan you're on or the SIM you use.

You'll just be charged out the ear if you're not paying for a data plan (and in the case of the iPhone, if you put a SIM from a different phone into an iPhone and try to use it, AT&T will add a data plan to your current plan and there's nothing you can do about it).

post #98 of 109
Quote:

I did exactly that. I bought my daughter a cheap-o AT&T phone without a data plan, and I put that card in my old iPhone 3G that I had handed down to her a year prior (for her use as an "iPod Touch").

Unfortunately, her iPhone pulled a little bit of data that first month (just 20 KBs or so) even though I had turned off "Data" in the Settings. So we got hit with the full cost of the AT&T data plan that we never agreed to in the first place. (We did, after all, apparently use some data!) Since that time, I also turned off "Location Services" because there was some indication that the small amount of data the iPhone used was related to the few times that we used "Find My iPhone" to locate her handset. I'm anxious to see how that will turn out, or whether AT&T feels they can ding me with the cost of a data plan I don't use just because I stick my SIM in an iPhone and make phone calls (or send texts) with it.

Thompson
post #99 of 109
Quote:

I did exactly that. I bought my daughter a cheap-o AT&T phone without a data plan, and I put that card in my old iPhone 3G that I had handed down to her a year prior (for her use as an "iPod Touch").

Unfortunately, her iPhone pulled a little bit of data that first month (just 20 KBs or so) even though I had turned off "Data" in the Settings. So we got hit with the full cost of the AT&T data plan that we never agreed to in the first place. (We did, after all, apparently use some data!) Since that time, I also turned off "Location Services" because there was some indication that the small amount of data the iPhone used was related to the few times that we used "Find My iPhone" to locate her handset. I'm anxious to see how that will turn out, or whether AT&T feels they can ding me with the cost of a data plan I don't use just because I stick my SIM in an iPhone and make phone calls (or send texts) with it.

Thompson

You can tell the telecom to 'block data to the device'. Just go to your local store and say, "I want to block all data to and from this device". They have to comply.

post #100 of 109
Quote:

You can tell the telecom to 'block data to the device'. Just go to your local store and say, "I want to block all data to and from this device". They have to comply.

I'll give it a try. (Hopefully it won't break anything required for proper function of the iPhone.)

The last time I was in a local AT&T store, I was told that their policy is if you stick your SIM card into an iPhone they will charge you for the data plan no matter what. That seems illegal to me. I should be able to stick that SIM into whatever I want (ouch!) as long as I use it per the agreed plan.

Thompson
post #101 of 109
Quote:

The last time I was in a local AT&T store, I was told that their policy is if you stick your SIM card into an iPhone they will charge you for the data plan no matter what.

Yes, that's true for everything but the first-gen.

Quote:
That seems illegal to me.

Same here, but no one has ever contested it, so they get away with it.

post #102 of 109
[QUOTE=Oflife;1940925]I have commented on this sort of survey before, but it proves once again that SOME people will purely buy on brand alone, without knowing anything about the product. If the actual specs for the iPhone 5 had been released by Apple, then this would be understandable, but if I was Apple or any other vendor for that matter, I would be frankly embarrassed if people were so obsessed with me or my brand, they would buy anything I produced.]

After many months of reading the threads I've finally decided to comment myself!

Whilst I will be getting an Apple phone in the next couple months to replace my trusty but ageing 3GS (which my 19 yr old daughter is very much looking forward to having), it may or may not be the 'iPhone 5'. The iPhone 4 would currently fit the bill with overall design, quality of screen, battery life, the ability to reuse my existing apps and the peace of mind of using the app store all being known quantities, but once the iPhone 5 is announced, if it offers something that really appeals to me, I may go for that over the 4 instead.

I use a Samsung Galaxy S2 as my work phone and comparing it to my 3GS, I know which I prefer overall. There are some things which the Galaxy does better eg notifications (which I will be so glad to see fixed in iOS 5) but the Galaxy is a little too big as a phone for my liking, the screen doesn't seem as accurate to use, it's build is rather plasticky and I just find Gingerbread rather garish. All highly subjective things but that's my view. The first handset being DOA did not inspire confidence either.

I will often state a preference buy brands I know and trust, be it for socks, food or electronics. If however they don't have what I want at the time, I will go elsewhere. I'm sure that will be the same for many of these people.
post #103 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytdave View Post

That's great. I'm in that boat too. Apple still needs to work to push that number farther north, including a renewed push to appeal to the younger crowds which are increasingly interested in Android devices - which are now considered the devices with the 'cool' factor.

Nah, not cool but c h e a p.
Apple/Mac customers have always been the more sensible and minted type.
post #104 of 109
Quote:

Funny that, my brother, his wife and I were comparing the sim cards in their 3GS iPhones to the one in my 3G iPhone just a few hours ago. Theirs came out pretty easily for 'not being removable'.
post #105 of 109
Quote:

That's a complete falsehood.

It's too early for this Do you seriously believe that HTC guy?

He just forgot to add "younger, *nerdier, lifeless* crowds"

iPhone 4S 64GB, Black, soon to be sold in favor of a Nokia Lumia 920
Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

iPhone 4S 64GB, Black, soon to be sold in favor of a Nokia Lumia 920
Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

post #106 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

iphone + case + activation is $300 for low end one. and apple is always changing the design just a little so you can't share cases between generations

I must be seriously rough on my phone then... I've gone thru at least 3 cases with my 2 year old 3GS, so honestly being able to share cases from phone to phone is not an issue for me. In fact, my current case is slightly broken but I'm making due since I intend to get the new iPhone once it's out and that will obviously necessitate a new case.
post #107 of 109
Thanks everyone for the enlightening discussion around the SIM card. If I would have known that before it would have saved some mini battles with the wife. Her old school, 4 year old ATT slider phone died a couple weeks ago and she wanted to go out and get an iPhone 4 but I told her to hold off until the 5 is released since it's so close. I have an original iPhone that my 3 year old son uses without the phone service that we could have been using the whole time! Since giving her my 3GS and now using my work's crappy BB Torch as my primary device, I can now see why BB is headed south and Apple is only heading higher.
post #108 of 109
Quote:

ACK!
The products are really exciting people who don't even know who Steve Jobs is.
Thompson

Right on. Include me in on that camp. Honestly had no clue who Steve Jobs was. Was given an iPhone 4 at work (I am in IT) and absolutely fell in love with it. Still amazed by it after nearly a year of using it. About six months after using the iPhone, Steve Jobs passed away and unfortunately that was when I found out about the man.
post #109 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nergock View Post

Right on. Include me in on that camp. Honestly had no clue who Steve Jobs was. Was given an iPhone 4 at work (I am in IT) and absolutely fell in love with it. Still amazed by it after nearly a year of using it. About six months after using the iPhone, Steve Jobs passed away and unfortunately that was when I found out about the man.

Your in IT and didn't know who Steve Jobs was, read much? Oh and welcome to Appleinsider.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › 'Unprecedented' demand for Apple's iPhone 5 exceeds iPhone 4 hype