or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › NYT: Apple 'just weeks away' from announcing 'fairly different' iPhone 5

NYT: Apple 'just weeks away' from announcing 'fairly different' iPhone 5

post #1 of 71
Apple is "just weeks away" from announcing a fifth-generation iPhone that will be fairly different from the iPhone 4, both on the inside and outside, according to a new report.

"Were just weeks away from the announcement of the new Apple iPhone 5, according to an Apple employee who asked not to be named because he was not allowed to speak publicly for the company," Nick Bilton wrote in a report for The New York Times.

His sources within Apple also said case designs that recently surfaced online "seemed potentially authentic." The designs, which were quickly taken down, depicted a next-generation iPhone with curved sides, a flat back, and a mute switch moved to the right side of the handset.

According to an Apple engineer "familiar with the new iPhone," the company's next handset will be "fairly different" from the previous generation. The source also confirmed the widely-held belief that the device will sport an 8-megapixel camera and the faster A5 processor currently found in the iPad 2.

Bilton also reiterated his earlier report that cited "two people with knowledge of the inner workings of Apples next-generation iPhones" as saying either the fifth- or sixth-generation iPhone will include a near-field communication chip from Qualcomm, possibly to add mobile payment functionality.

Alleged iPhone 5 case designs from Case-Mate, via BGR.

Apple has expressed a keen interest in NFC technology in the past. On Thursday, AppleInsider uncovered a patent application that proposed using passive radio-frequency identification to transmit information about hardware failures. The company has also investigated more standard uses of NFC, such as e-wallet and tag reader functionality.

It should be noted that the "just weeks away" timeframe provided by the Times is hardly new. Numerous reports have suggested that the iPhone 5 will arrive by mid-October. Earlier this week, analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of Concord Securities told AppleInsider that the golden master of iOS 5 is scheduled to be released to assemblers during the last week of September in preparation for release by the middle of October.
post #2 of 71
If the new iPhone doesn't have a larger screen, who would be disappointed?

I think I would -
post #3 of 71
small iPad 2? I'll get it, since I only have a 3g ((
post #4 of 71
The case design looks like it will be a mini-iPad 2. I don't think this is all that surprising. The iPad 2 represents Apple's current design thinking and aesthetic, and they've never had a faster selling or more popular device. It would stand to reason that everything in the product line would want to take on some amount of the iPad 2 look and feel.
post #5 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

I think I would -

Me too. Same size case with a little more screen territory would be just fine.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #6 of 71
These look Pretty damn similar to iPod touch 4th gen.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #7 of 71
Quote:

I think I would -

I would be. It isn't the larger screen I don't want, it's the larger phone. Unfortunately, the two are one in the same.
post #8 of 71
Just after the launch of the iPhone 4 I wrote a blog about its drawbacks in a design sense here:
http://wp.me/p2LWx-4l
One of my criticisms - which I also sent as an Apple Feedback comment - was that it had lost the curves of the previous models, meaning it no longer felt good to the touch. The iPod touch of course looks and feels absolutely beautiful and does have curved sides and feels great in the hand.

Maybe Apple listened? Maybe the new iP5 when it comes out will have curvy edges and feel great in the hand as well as look good to the eye? I certainly hope so.
post #9 of 71
I still have the 3GS and I was hoping the new iPhone would be physically like the iPhone 4 with maybe new processor and upgraded camera and a few other enhancements. I think the iPhone 4 is a design classic. I never took seriously the rumors of a couple of months ago about a new tapered, curved-back look with a larger screen. I thought it looks worse, and I can't get excited about another 0.3 inches or whatever on the screen diagonal. Anyway, we shall see in a few weeks. Being Apple, I'm sure I'll end up liking it.

What really amazes me is that Foxconn are said to me making 150,000 a day and Still no-one knows what it looks like. How do they keep such close control on all those factory people that not one phone has leaked out?
iPhone 4S + MacBook Pro
iPhone 4S + MacBook Pro
post #10 of 71
I'm getting one, regardless, to replace my 3g. If it's super great, then I'll replace my wife's 3g also. Otherwise, I'll buy the iphone 6 next year, and give my wife the hand me down iphone 5.
post #11 of 71
***NEWS ALERT***

This just in: GeneralÃ*ssimo Francisco Franco is still dead.

Also just in: Apple will be releasing an iPhone 5.

post #12 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyL View Post

What really amazes me is that Foxconn are said to me making 150,000 a day and Still no-one knows what it looks like. How do they keep such close control on all those factory people that not one phone has leaked out?

because they threaten their lives (and jobs).
post #13 of 71
Quote:

I'd be ecstatic.

Quote:

When your workers live on-site and aren't allowed to leave, it's pretty darn easy to keep things under wraps.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

post #14 of 71
Quote:

I still have the 3GS and I was hoping the new iPhone would be physically like the iPhone 4 with maybe new processor and upgraded camera and a few other enhancements. I think the iPhone 4 is a design classic. I never took seriously the rumors of a couple of months ago about a new tapered, curved-back look with a larger screen. I thought it looks worse, and I can't get excited about another 0.3 inches or whatever on the screen diagonal. Anyway, we shall see in a few weeks. Being Apple, I'm sure I'll end up liking it.

I agree. The iPhone 4 is a design classic. If the iPhone 5 does not have a glass back and stainless steel sides, I will be disappointed. I will not be eligible to upgrade until next Feb anyway.
post #15 of 71
Disinformation. The iPhone 4S will have faster processor, more memory. That is all.
post #16 of 71
Quote:

I still have the 3GS....

They want to keep their job. That's why. Would you rather manufacture iPhone or knitting socks? (China have every factory you could imagine, often one city is associated with only one product so there you have it. iPhone or socks)
post #17 of 71
Why not just saying "iPhone 7 announcement is just years away"? This even may be more accurate.
post #18 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimUSCA View Post

I would be. It isn't the larger screen I don't want, it's the larger phone. Unfortunately, the two are one in the same.

Incorrect. There's a lot of wasted screen real estate space on the current iPhone 4's form factor. They could make the screen slightly larger without increasing the phone size.
post #19 of 71
Yea, Global Warming scam artist Al Gore probably wants NFC/RFID to enable carbon taxes payable to his company. Why Apple has this snake oil salesman on its board is beyond me.

NO NFC/RFID SPYCHIPS!
post #20 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Disinformation. The iPhone 4S will have faster processor, more memory. That is all.

Uhh... you're calling a rumor disinformation and then stating another rumor as fact? What the hell man?
post #21 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

Yea, Global Warming scam artist Al Gore probably wants NFC/RFID to enable carbon taxes payable to his company. Why Apple has this snake oil salesman on its board is beyond me.

NO NFC/RFID SPYCHIPS!

Wow. Awesome parody of the tinfoil hat types. Almost thought you were serious for a second. Nice work!
post #22 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksT View Post

Wow. Awesome parody of the tinfoil hat types. Almost thought you were serious for a second. Nice work!

He is.

post #23 of 71
post #24 of 71
Quote:

I think I would -

As long as the pixel density doesn't decrease. I'd prefer the iP4 screen over a larger screen, if that was the trade off.
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
post #25 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybouy View Post

Get a load of this.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzsBw...feature=relmfu

I'll say that whoever made this is really talented. As for the phone design, even if something that thin were possible, I wouldn't want it. It would feel like holding a sharp pane of glass. You could probably just as easily shave with it.
post #26 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

NO NFC/RFID SPYCHIPS!

iPhone:
I don't yet have one, but I want one. The iPhone 4 has many plusses, but I expect it to go sour or sweet in the next iteration. Bigger is possibly better for people who don't use anything but cars. I think Americans will love a bigger device, and possibly Koreans as I see a lot of large devices on the train.

However, I don't see the same lure of large devices in Japan, Canada, or Europe. I don't know South America, Africa, or South Asia, or Australia for that matter. But, as soon as a device cannot fit comfortably in a pair of non-baggy jeans, it is off the buy list for me, not matter that it is easier to text.

I want small, powerful, and graceful, and the new breed of Android devices that car-driving people prefer, is way, way too big.

unrelated mishmash from an internet people with a chip on his shoulder: Not sure how your pertains at all to the iPhone 5. If you wanted to ruffle Foxconn's feathers, or Apple's on the design, or its partners, all power to you, friend, but where does Al Gore and carbon taxes, and American politics even blend into this article.
TouchMyApps - All things iPhone for those who like to touch
TouchMyApps - All things iPhone for those who like to touch
post #27 of 71
"just weeks away" means "more than 13 days, at least". Forget about a september announcement/early october lauch
I've accomplished my childhood's dream: My job consists mainly of playing with toys all day long.
I've accomplished my childhood's dream: My job consists mainly of playing with toys all day long.
post #28 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranReloaded View Post

"just weeks away" means "more than 13 days, at least". Forget about a september announcement/early october lauch

First, 15 + 13 = 28, which is still inside September…

Second, they know absolutely nothing about when it actually is. They come here, read what we say, and write stories and get paid for it.

post #29 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

yes, iPhone 4S will be what you think it is. Of course iPhone 5 will be altogether different!
post #30 of 71
My month:
Retired my iPhone 3GS.
Bought an iPhone 4 16GB online. Loved it.
Needed Gall Bladder surgery. Sold iPhone 4.
Bought new 32GB iPhone with contract renewal.
Regained sanity and took phone back for refund.
Now waiting until the iPhone 5 comes out.

If the iPhone 5 isn't fantastic, I will just bring my 3GS out of retirement for another year.
post #31 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybouy View Post

Get a load of this.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzsBw...feature=relmfu

Wow... Now that was a really great mock up video. However, I would be terrified to hold a device that thin. It looked completely fragile, and I'd be afraid to put the thing in my pocket. Personally, I don't think the phone needs to be much thinner at all, but I liked everything else about the mock up.
post #32 of 71
Can I have a job reporting the obvious at the NYT?
post #33 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by shigzeo View Post

iPhone:
I don't yet have one, but I want one. The iPhone 4 has many plusses, but I expect it to go sour or sweet in the next iteration. Bigger is possibly better for people who don't use anything but cars. I think Americans will love a bigger device, and possibly Koreans as I see a lot of large devices on the train.

However, I don't see the same lure of large devices in Japan, Canada, or Europe. I don't know South America, Africa, or South Asia, or Australia for that matter. But, as soon as a device cannot fit comfortably in a pair of non-baggy jeans, it is off the buy list for me, not matter that it is easier to text.

I want small, powerful, and graceful, and the new breed of Android devices that car-driving people prefer, is way, way too big.

unrelated mishmash from an internet people with a chip on his shoulder: Not sure how your pertains at all to the iPhone 5. If you wanted to ruffle Foxconn's feathers, or Apple's on the design, or its partners, all power to you, friend, but where does Al Gore and carbon taxes, and American politics even blend into this article.

About the same as linking driving cars to liking big phones and certain nationalities.
post #34 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

First, 15 + 13 = 28, which is still inside September…

Yeah, technically tou're right, but can't quite see a 28 announcement AND it being released in the first half of October.

Quote:

Second, they know absolutely nothing about when it actually is. They come here, read what we say, and write stories and get paid for it.

I should have added "IF true, it sucks".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

Incorrect. There's a lot of wasted screen real estate space on the current iPhone 4's form factor. They could make the screen slightly larger without increasing the phone size.

That is arguable. There's also a lot of "wasted real estate" in most books' pages and in almost every website designed after 1991 But it actually serves a purpose, I believe.

My two concerns about the (rumored) "new design" of the iPhone:
1) Decreased PPI - OR - Pixel incompatibility with existing apps.
2) Loss of symmetry in landscape mode.
post #35 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Heis sources within Apple

Typo parade continues -- What are Heis sources? Oh, his sources.
post #36 of 71
if the purported features of the upcoming iPhone are to believed, i may actually upgrade from a 3GS much sooner than expected (i.e., my contract expires in June 2012 at which point i plan to make the upgrade).
post #37 of 71
Quote:

I think I would -

I would be very disappointed. The rumored slight increase to 3.7 inches would also be a let down.
post #38 of 71
Why does Apple have soooo much cash in the bank?

Because Jobs has created a system of advertising based on rumour. Millions and millions worth of publicity every week based on rumours. How many, if any, of these romours are started at Apple is something we will never know. Regardless, the secrecy of new products makes people speculate. And speculation leads to rumour and rumour re apple leads to publicity. All this builds to massive media attention leadingup to, including and following the release of a product.

OK, big sales also contribute but the brilliant marketing strategy of not really marketing is a huge money saver and drives apple penetration with new products.
post #39 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairb View Post

Why does Apple have soooo much cash in the bank?

Because Jobs has created a system of advertising based on rumour. Millions and millions worth of publicity every week based on rumours. How many, if any, of these romours are started at Apple is something we will never know. Regardless, the secrecy of new products makes people speculate. And speculation leads to rumour and rumour re apple leads to publicity. All this builds to massive media attention leadingup to, including and following the release of a product.

OK, big sales also contribute but the brilliant marketing strategy of not really marketing is a huge money saver and drives apple penetration with new products.

Here's a tin foil hat, mate. --> ._|-|_

Apple dont want this stuff released, because it can impact sales. In fact the sales of the 3GS dropped off the cliff when the iPhone 4 was announced. So they would be unhappy that a non-technical main stream outfit has reported this, as it might now impact sales.

As for Apple having so much cash - it is because they sell lots of stuff.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #40 of 71
Quote:

First, 15 + 13 = 28, which is still inside September

I am pretty sure that is exactly not how the New York Times works. Some technical blogs, maybe. When a "paper of record" like the NYT prints something it

1) Has a source within the company, or organisation.
2) Is convinced of the bonafides of that source.

With some exceptions, of course ( Mr Blair). The NYT is careful about it's rep as a source of information, not as a link farm.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • NYT: Apple 'just weeks away' from announcing 'fairly different' iPhone 5
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › NYT: Apple 'just weeks away' from announcing 'fairly different' iPhone 5