or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Anyone Downgrade?

Anyone Downgrade?

post #1 of 6
I was disappointed to discover that a few program won't run on Lion, so I put Snow Leopard back on my laptop. I'm keeping Lion on the desktop. I like Lion, and I miss some of the features when I'm using my laptop, but it's annoying when a program I paid for won't work anymore. Anyone else downgrade to Snow Leopard because of apps that won't work or another reason?
post #2 of 6
What applications?
post #3 of 6
I have a customer who downgraded to snow leopard because he went ahead and upgraded to Lion without checking if Pro Tools worked with it. He will go back to lion once pro tools with lion support comes out of beta.
post #4 of 6
I upgraded one of my machines to Lion. Performance is great, and all the apps I use work fine (except Apple apps, keep on reading).

However, I dislike the intrusive way in which Apple has decided to implement Autosave and Versions. Now, when I'm on that machine, a feel of horror comes to me whenever I open some file with TextEdit, or with just Preview: Will I succeed in not saving a new version if I don't want to? Will I succeed to save the file the way I like?

Apple has introduced a new file paradigm which vulnerates the Apple Human Interface Guidelines. And they've done it a non configurable way: you're forced to change your brain if you use Apple apps.

I won't downgrade this machine because I need Lion in order to test programming code on 10.7.x But of course I won't use any Apple apps on it, just software that doesn't support Autosave+Versions, or that support it as an option.

And, of course, I won't upgrade the rest of machines to Lion, because I want to be able to use software compliant with the Apple Human Interface Guidelines. Period.

Btw, Preview performance is now horrible. It was always the fastest PDF reader I knew. You double-clicked a file, and it appeared on your screen instantly. Now you double-click a file, and you wait some seconds, like if you were using Acrobat Reader instead of Preview.
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecs View Post

Will I succeed in not saving a new version if I don't want to? Will I succeed to save the file the way I like?

I'm confused. Every time you do something to the file, it's saved like that. Hitting Open Apple+S saves the file at the current state to be returned to in the Versions browser. You can revert any single change you made while it's open. If you quit the application, the file will be instantly saved as it appeared on quit, but when it's reopened, you won't be able to revert those single changes, only return to any saved Versions.

Quote:
you're forced to change your brain if you use Apple apps.

Yep. They're removing the archaic idea that you have to tell your computer that what you do is important enough to keep around.

Quote:
But of course I won't use any Apple apps on it, just software that doesn't support Autosave+Versions, or that support it as an option.

So you'll be able to use maybe twenty applications total by the end of next year

Quote:
And, of course, I won't upgrade the rest of machines to Lion, because I want to be able to use software compliant with the Apple Human Interface Guidelines. Period.

Yeah. Because AHIG can never (and has never been) change(d) at any point in the history of human civilization.

I really think you need to just get used to it. It won't ever go away, much less back to the way it was.

Quote:
Btw, Preview performance is now horrible. It was always the fastest PDF reader I knew. You double-clicked a file, and it appeared on your screen instantly. Now you double-click a file, and you wait some seconds, like if you were using Acrobat Reader instead of Preview.

The ONLY thing with which I agree. But that's only because I have Resume turned off in Preview separate of the system-wide Resume option, so it's buggy and my fault. Otherwise it was fast as the dickens.
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yep. They're removing the archaic idea that you have to tell your computer that what you do is important enough to keep around.

Nope. They've removed the file paradigm: with the Lion approach, there's no difference between the opened file and the file stored in disk. You no longer control the file stored in disk, because what you have on disk is the history of all the editing you did on your file, even if you didn't save it.

This is very problematic, because there're plenty of situations in which you want to play around with a file but you don't want to save it.

For an everyday situation, imagine you write on TextEdit: "present for my daughter birthday: surprise party at her favourite restaurant". You close it without saving. You of course are a computer advanced user, so you don't imagine you need to lock a file, or to manage the versions history, in order to get rid of a file you didn't save, because you expect that what you didn't save wasn't saved.

So, the next day, you open TextEdit, your daughter is with you, and bingo!!! The new Apple "invention" makes the day!!

For a professional situation, all people working in legal stuff, like lawyers and their staff need serious re-learning in order to learn this new file paradigm.

For computer programmers, it's a pain, because we're always testing stuff we don't want to save.

I understand that this is an innovation, and I'm not against innovation. But I'm against the Microsoft way of doing things, and the way Versions+Autosave has been introduced is the Microsoft way.

Let me have control of it, like with FileVault or TimeMachine, and I'll applaud Apple, as usual, because I'll be able to try it at my will. But impose me to change my mind on one day, as Microsoft tends to do, and I'll differ.

I don't have the necessary free time to learn this big change. I installed Lion and I needed to start using it immediately. Then I learned that if I used TextEdit or Preview without learning a new file paradigm, I could trash my stuff. Well that's nice if you have time, but I've a very demanding job.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Anyone Downgrade?