or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Mac App Store updated to warn users before re-buying software
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mac App Store updated to warn users before re-buying software

post #1 of 23
Thread Starter 
Apple has updated its Mac App Store to warn users who already bought and installed an application outside of the App Store if they attempt to buy it again through the digital download service.

Apple's Mac App Store does not feature support for applications that were purchased outside of the App Store, even if the software is available for purchase in multiple places. But the Mac App Store can detect whether an application has already been installed on a system before it is purchased through the Mac App Store.

As noted by Macworld, the Mac App Store now prompts those users with a warning to help prevent users from inadvertently buying software twice. It lets them know that the application "is already installed and was not purchased from the Mac App Store."

Though users are prevented from buying the software and presented with the warning, Apple still gives the option to buy the application again if the user chooses to do so.

While the update might help out a user who doesn't understand the difference between software bought on the Mac App Store and elsewhere, it does not address the fact that software bought outside the Mac App Store cannot be re-downloaded or updated through Apple's service.



The Mac App Store launched in Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard earlier this year, and is a major selling point of the newly released Mac OS X 10.7 Lion. It brings an iOS-style experience to the Mac with buying and installing applications, and the digital storefront even manages software updates much like the iPhone App Store.
post #2 of 23
It may or may not be a "a major selling point" for Lion, but it most definitely is NOT universally loved.

I personally detest the Mickey Mouse App Store. All those golly-gee pretty icons (and a very weak search tool), makes it look like a busy circus. Bleh.

I'm sure some really love it, and for them I say have at it. I just want more and better options than the App Store. So I'll stick with MacUpdate as long as possible.
post #3 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by dualie View Post

It may or may not be a "a major selling point" for Lion, but it most definitely is NOT universally loved.

I personally detest the Mickey Mouse App Store. All those golly-gee pretty icons (and a very weak search tool), makes it look like a busy circus. Bleh.

I'm sure some really love it, and for them I say have at it. I just want more and better options than the App Store. So I'll stick with MacUpdate as long as possible.

If the Mac App store were the only way to buy software, your complaints might have some validity. But since you're still free to buy boxed software in the store, they don't.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #4 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by dualie View Post

It may or may not be a "a major selling point" for Lion, but it most definitely is NOT universally loved.

I personally detest the Mickey Mouse App Store. All those golly-gee pretty icons (and a very weak search tool), makes it look like a busy circus. Bleh.

I'm sure some really love it, and for them I say have at it. I just want more and better options than the App Store. So I'll stick with MacUpdate as long as possible.

I had all but forgotten about that site, used it years ago it seems. I just checked it out and the site froze on me several times and just went off line. Does it notify you of updates automatically? How many major apps can you get there though? Seems very 1990's to me what little I saw before it went awol on me.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #5 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by dualie View Post

... I just want more and better options than the App Store. So I'll stick with MacUpdate as long as possible.

This makes no sense at all. I don't know if you're lying or if this is just an advertisement for MacUpdate, but I don't think you are being completely honest here.

MacUpdate is mostly for free apps. Up until very recently it advertised itself as such and had no paid apps at all.

It's a searchable list. It has no UI at all and it looks like a page of DOS text for the most part. The idea that MacUpdate has more ways of discovering apps or some kind of better system for displaying them is a joke.

It's a list. A list of Apps. And it's by no means even comprehensive.
post #6 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

If the Mac App store were the only way to buy software, your complaints might have some validity. But since you're still free to buy boxed software in the store, they don't.



Ridiculous. My comments are as valid as anybody else's because they're MY OPINION. Nobody is forcing you to agree. If you like the App Store good for you. It's not for me (or many others I know), and no, I don't buy "boxed software". That's just a silly presumption on your part.

As for the other guy who can't use MacUpdate because it locks up his browser, then the App Store was made people just like you.

As for automatic updates, I think I only have a single app that doesn't automatically update itself. No App Store needed thanks.
post #7 of 23
If they can figure out the app is already installed then why can't they grandfather the app in for updates, etc.

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply
post #8 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

If they can figure out the app is already installed then why can't they grandfather the app in for updates, etc.

I wondered that too.

If I could use the App Store to update software that I already own that's in the store, that I didn't initially purchase through the App store, I might actually use it. Then when I do consider purchasing something new I might actually think of using the App Store.

As it is now, it's not very useful to most people who probably purchased most of the software they use through other means. I often forget it's there. Apple needs to make it relevant to people who already own the software sold there by not locking down upgrades to only apps purchased through it.
post #9 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

If they can figure out the app is already installed then why can't they grandfather the app in for updates, etc.

I think it's because the Mac App Store provides a service (update notification and simple install) and Apple doesn't feel they should offer that service to people who haven't paid in to it buy purchasing through their store.

The store won't be successful at generating funds if the majority of it's users buy outside the store and deny Apple their cut.

My 2 cents.
post #10 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

I think it's because the Mac App Store provides a service (update notification and simple install) and Apple doesn't feel they should offer that service to people who haven't paid in to it buy purchasing through their store.

So why doesn't Apple just do it for their applications, then? I've paid into it by purchasing from Apple.

post #11 of 23
Off topic regarding MacUdate. Just could never get used to using it. Always went to VersionTracker and loved it until C/net bought it and ruined it IMHO. I use the App Store sometime. Interface is pretty familar to iOS users. Is it perfect? No but it ain't bad.
post #12 of 23
Great addition to the MAS. I hope they can fix the issues I had a few weeks ago with FCPX showing up that I did not purchase it from MAS, when it was! Had to uninstall it, then re-download it from MAS purchased list. It's fixed now, but that was a pain. Especially with FCPX, it wanted me to repurchase the $300 software! I really like the MAS, keep in improving it Apple. It's really a great way to find and manage your Mac Apps.
post #13 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

If they can figure out the app is already installed then why can't they grandfather the app in for updates, etc.

Probably because they can't verify that you have it legitimately. How do they know you have a legitimate license? They would need a way to check with every software developer and interface with their databases.

This is partly what is attractive about the App Store to developers in the first place. Developers don't have to maintain a whole licensing and verification system, let alone hosting and downloading.

So, the Pixelmator developers commit to distribution via App Store only and are able to cut costs of infrastructure including licensing, packaging, and distribution -- they now offer their product for 29 bucks instead of 79. Thus they get a million downloads the first week it's in the store, and everyone is happy.

If you bought Pixelmator before it appeared on the App Store, you probably look at the notification system in the application itself, just like in most apps, rather than the notification in the App Store icon in the dock. The developers might post downloadable updates for the relatively few who bought it previously. But Apple is not beholden to check out user data with them for their previous users, nor download updates to those users, because Apple didn't receive 30 percent on those earlier sales.
post #14 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Though users are prevented from buying the software and presented with the warning

Users are not at all prevented from buying the software.
It is simply a warning.
post #15 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by dualie View Post

Ridiculous. My comments are as valid as anybody else's because they're MY OPINION. Nobody is forcing you to agree. If you like the App Store good for you. It's not for me (or many others I know), and no, I don't buy "boxed software". That's just a silly presumption on your part.

On this forum you're not allowed to have an opinion unless you laud everything Apple does. It's in the terms of agreement when you register.

But don't worry. If you forget, the polite friendly folks here will be more than happy to remind you!
post #16 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obama View Post

On this forum you're not allowed to have an opinion unless you laud everything Apple does. It's in the terms of agreement when you register.

You'll want to cut that crap out.
post #17 of 23
MacUpdate is great and it's not going anywhere. It's certainly all inclusive, while many developers are not on the App Store either by choice or because of Apple policy.

I use both depending on what I'm looking for; MU's new software feed has been in my RSS reader for ages. MU's selling point is its simplicity, and their occasional bundles and discounts are nice too.
post #18 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by krabbelen View Post

Probably because they can't verify that you have it legitimately. How do they know you have a legitimate license? They would need a way to check with every software developer and interface with their databases.

....

Exactly.

Thank you.

We all know not every one buy apps legitimately.

post #19 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by krabbelen View Post

Probably because they can't verify that you have it legitimately. How do they know you have a legitimate license? They would need a way to check with every software developer and interface with their databases.

...

The issue is really more subtle than that. My installation of the Mac App Store utility recognizes some of my installed applications. However, my attempt to install a free update to a previously installed application was frustrated by the App Store's inability to reconcile the ownership of the older version with the new. When I removed the older version, the update downloaded and installed fine.
post #20 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

I think it's because the Mac App Store provides a service (update notification and simple install) and Apple doesn't feel they should offer that service to people who haven't paid in to it buy purchasing through their store.

The store won't be successful at generating funds if the majority of it's users buy outside the store and deny Apple their cut.

My 2 cents.

precisely.
post #21 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So why doesn't Apple just do it for their applications, then? I've paid into it by purchasing from Apple.


i've wondered the same. as the mac app store matures, i'm hoping apple will "grandfather in" their own apps (at the user's discretion).
post #22 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by dualie View Post

It may or may not be a "a major selling point" for Lion, but it most definitely is NOT universally loved.

I personally detest the Mickey Mouse App Store. All those golly-gee pretty icons (and a very weak search tool), makes it look like a busy circus. Bleh.

I'm sure some really love it, and for them I say have at it. I just want more and better options than the App Store. So I'll stick with MacUpdate as long as possible.

Wow, you're complaining about the horrible search engine of Mac App Store then you mention MacUpdate?

That site is incredibly poor to be honest with you. I've tried to do refined searches only to be given a whole heap of titles that don't even fit what I searched for. It's actually worse than Google which I dislike for the same reasons.
post #23 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by KazKam View Post

I wondered that too.

If I could use the App Store to update software that I already own that's in the store, that I didn't initially purchase through the App store, I might actually use it. Then when I do consider purchasing something new I might actually think of using the App Store.

As it is now, it's not very useful to most people who probably purchased most of the software they use through other means. I often forget it's there. Apple needs to make it relevant to people who already own the software sold there by not locking down upgrades to only apps purchased through it.

My guess is that the already existing app, could have different licenses, which could keep valid when upgrade the 'old' way. It is then overruled with the in app-store app license licensed.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Mac App Store updated to warn users before re-buying software