or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung files patent case against Apple in Australia over iPhone, iPad

Samsung files patent case against Apple in Australia over iPhone, iPad - Page 2

post #41 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Maybe time for the US consumers to boycott Korean cars (off topic but boy do they look like Lexus cars these days)... oh wait, I'm sure Android users are lining up for those Kias too!

So true!
post #42 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjb View Post

They, patented images in 2004, do not look like Galaxy tab nor Ipad. It is more like 'tablet newspaper (1994)' see below link. I can not provide links(as I can not remember), but this patented design more resembled some tablets before 2004. Yes, in my opinion, Apple copied the design and patented and disgracefully claim as original.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBEtPQDQNcI

Samsung has their own design developed overtime. See below images. Yes, it is a digital photo frame, not a tablet. But, my Ipad2 does a little more that this product. In this sence, I feel Apple copied this product in Ipad, I mean acctual Ipad.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/03/09/s...-movies-music/

Hey Apple fan readers, read following article and say what you think. Dont forget to click print icon at the end of the article to see images as well as articles.

http://www.osnews.com/story/25056/Th..._USPTO_Was_Bad

This is what Apple has been doing. And I dont know who can defend Apple anymore.

I'm pretty sick of the picture frame argument. No one seems to acknowledge that the picture frame in question has a brick on the back of it with ports to load images onto the frame and for networking purposes. AFAIK, neither the iPad nor the Galaxy Tab have a brick on the back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

So I wonder if any of the parts Samsung sold Apple are involved in these patent infringements?

If so it may provide legal grounds for Apple to seek an immediate refund of all monies paid for parts Samsung sold them knowing that they were patent encumbered and without giving permission to use them.

Could Samsung have acted fraudulently if this is the case?

No. The case would simply be thrown out. Apple can't ask for a refund. That's just silly. If the patents in question involve technology Samsung created for components that it sells, then not only is that a waste of the court's time, but what vendor in their right mind would want to purchase anything from Samsung ever again?
2010 mac mini/iPad OG/iPhone 4/appletv OG/appletv 2/ BT trackpad and keyboard/time capsule/ Wii
2010 mac mini/iPad OG/iPhone 4/appletv OG/appletv 2/ BT trackpad and keyboard/time capsule/ Wii
post #43 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarkid View Post

Im not a samsung fan at all ... but i think apple is going way to far and is going to pee people off from buying there products. The galaxy looks nothing like the iphone 4 and yes the galaxy is thinner than the iphone 4 overall. Competition is good but apple does not seem to like this .... We have a lot of apple products in my family but i just dont like the way apple are doing the business...

I'm am pretty sure that the average consumer doesn't give a crap about these lawsuits and wouldn't deter him/her from buying Apple products if s/he were in the market for them. Also, competition doesn't mean copying a bunch of elements from someone else and slapping your name on it.
post #44 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by freckledbruh View Post

I'm am pretty sure that the average consumer doesn't give a crap about these lawsuits and wouldn't deter him/her from buying Apple products if s/he were in the market for them. Also, competition doesn't mean copying a bunch of elements from someone else and slapping your name on it.

No it doesn't. But it can be competitive to make your product even better and more capable than the target product even while some elements may resemble the competition.
melior diabolus quem scies
post #45 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

No it doesn't. But it can be competitive to make your product even better and more capable than the target product even while some elements may resemble the competition.

And in what ways did Samsung make the Galaxy Tab more capable? BTW, thinner doesn't count because it wasn't able to do that until after the iPad 2 came out.
post #46 of 112
Quote:

Im not a samsung fan at all ... but i think apple is going way to far and is going to pee people off from buying there products. The galaxy looks nothing like the iphone 4 and yes the galaxy is thinner than the iphone 4 overall. Competition is good but apple does not seem to like this .... We have a lot of apple products in my family but i just dont like the way apple are doing the business...

I don't think you're understanding the use of the word 'overall'. 'Overall' means to include all everything or be comprehensive. If the Galaxy is comprehensively measured, it is indeed thicker than the iPhone 4. Boxers don't get to tell the officials what not to weigh before a fight so they can make their weight class. I could say that my bank account has $1 trillion dollars in it if you don't balance my checkbook, but that doesn't make it the truth. If a phone is announced as the 'thinnest, if you measure it a certain way', then it's not the thinnest.

What do you mean Apple doesn't like competition? They have been in constant competition since the Apple II. They've competed for market share with PCs. They've competed with MP3 players with the iPod. They've even stepped into another market (cellphones) just to compete when they introduced the iPhone, and they had to know that by introducing the iPad, there would eventually be competition. What Apple doesn't like is the blatant stealing of their designs and intellectual properties, and since Apple entered the phone and tablet market, 'copy' is the only game Samsung has played.
post #47 of 112
Quote:

And in what ways did Samsung make the Galaxy Tab more capable? BTW, thinner doesn't count because it wasn't able to do that until after the iPad 2 came out.

. . .DLNA support, full HD video recording, wireless sync capability, Gorillaglass, 4G. It's lighter, even with a larger display (which according to Engadget is better than than the iPhone 4's). Add a much faster web browser and even ArsTechnica says it's the closest to perfect of any smartphone they've ever seen.

Does this sound like competition?

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/guide...alaxy-s-ii.ars
http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/28/s...y-s-ii-review/
http://pocketnow.com/android/galaxy-...eed-test-video

EDIT: Sorry I didn't notice at first that you were limiting this to the Tab and not other devices like the Galaxy SII that Apple also says Samsung copied, getting the Dutch judge to go along. Give me a few minutes.
Perhaps the Tab has no benefits over Apple's product. Dunno.

EDIT2: The only areas that jump out at me are improved cameras (big deal, pictures with a slate??), additional sensors, with ambient light being particularly worthy, slightly lighter, and 4G support. Many people might prefer the wide-screen over Apple's more squarish display too. Otherwise, nothing particularly groundbreaking.
post #48 of 112
Quote:

I don't disagree in general. Furthermore, I think it's silly for some folks here to opine as if Apple never copies anything and as if that's all Samsung does. Emulation is an essential part of innovation, after all.

But it's important to get facts right. One fact is that the Galaxy is NOT thinner than the iPhone 4 *overall*. Some silly dude in the UK took Apple to court for falsely advertising that the iPhone 4 was the thinnest smartphone and used the Galaxy as a counter-example. It turned out that the thickest part of the Galaxy S2 was thicker than the thinnest part of iP4. Case dismissed.
post #49 of 112
Quote:

. . .DLNA support, full HD video recording, wireless sync capability, Gorillaglass, 4G. It's lighter, even with a larger display (which according to Engadget is better than than the iPhone 4's). Add a much faster web browser and even ArsTechnica says it's the closest to perfect of any smartphone they've ever seen.

Does this sound like competition?

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/guide...alaxy-s-ii.ars
http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/28/s...y-s-ii-review/
http://pocketnow.com/android/galaxy-...eed-test-video

I thought we were talking about tablets.
post #50 of 112
Quote:

I thought we were talking about tablets.

See my edits above.
post #51 of 112
Quote:

See my edits above.

Ah, saw your edit. 4G does me no good (not in an area that will have it anytime soon). As for the phone, the iPhone 4 is over a year old. We can revisit once the new iPhone is released although Dona will not be added since Apple has AirPlay.
post #52 of 112
Quote:

Ah, saw your edit. 4G does me no good (not in an area that will have it anytime soon). As for the phone, the iPhone 4 is over a year old. We can revisit once the new iPhone is released although Dona will not be added since Apple has AirPlay.

Even the Galaxy SII is getting a bit long in the tooth by mobile standards. It's already nearly 9 months old. Gotta tie that in with dog-years somehow.
post #53 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbydek View Post

It's time both sides came to an agreement!

First, both sides copied (a unique patent is so hard to find nowadays everything is mostly modifications).
Second, Apple needs Samsung and Android because they will dominate the market and increase the chance of being broken up due to anti-trust laws.
Third, patent reform (wanting energy efficiency and giving the rights for a basic design outline is not patent worthy).
Fourth, settle outside of court, both sides are wrong, although Samsung is probably the one that is more wrong.

You are so clueless. i am glad you have no authority to influence squat.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
post #54 of 112
Quote:

I'm pretty sick of the picture frame argument. No one seems to acknowledge that the picture frame in question has a brick on the back of it with ports to load images onto the frame and for networking purposes. AFAIK, neither the iPad nor the Galaxy Tab have a brick on the back.

Even Apple does not has an issue with back of GT 10.1.(ie. The brick is not an issue).

Apple relys on the Community Design registered in Euroupe in 2004. It is about rounded corners in rectangular shape. See the image, it does not look like IPad nor GT 10.1. And see below link and comment what you think.

post #55 of 112
Quote:

. meaningless specs. .blah, blah, blah

An 8 megapixel camera, oh yeah they removed it from the revised Galaxy Tab 10.1 AFTER the iPad 2 was released, going backwards, more in line with Apple's product, the revision being the reason for the *NEW* Galaxy Tab 10.1 being subject to bans in Australia, which is the main focus of this thread.
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
post #56 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

I don't disagree in general. Furthermore, I think it's silly for some folks here to opine as if Apple never copies anything and as if that's all Samsung does. Emulation is an essential part of innovation, after all.

But it's important to get facts right. One fact is that the Galaxy is NOT thinner than the iPhone 4 *overall*. Some silly dude in the UK took Apple to court for falsely advertising that the iPhone 4 was the thinnest smartphone and used the Galaxy as a counter-example. It turned out that the thickest part of the Galaxy S2 was thicker than the thinnest part of iP4. Case dismissed.

So obviously Apple was not "falsely advertising" then, as can easily be seen by laying an iPhone 4 next to a Galaxy S II on a table.

"The emperor has no clothes."
post #57 of 112
Quote:

An 8 megapixel camera, oh yeah they removed it from the revised Galaxy Tab 10.1 AFTER the iPad 2 was released, going backwards, more in line with Apple's product, the revision being the reason for the *NEW* Galaxy Tab 10.1 being subject to bans in Australia, which is the main focus of this thread.

\I believe I already suggested picture taking on a slate isn't something I'd want to do. But since you wanted to make an issue of the two cameras, the iPad 2’s main camera is a small 0.7-megapixel while the Tab 10.1’s camera has a much larger sensor, 3-megapixel. In addition the Tab allows for a number of camera settings including white balance, smile/action presets and exposure control.

Compare the two here if you wish. This review wasn't based on "specs".
http://recombu.com/news/samsung-gala...-2_M15203.html

I've got no plans to buy either one, so for me personally it doesn't matter.
post #58 of 112
Quote:

Even the Galaxy SII is getting a bit long in the tooth by mobile standards. It's already nearly 9 months old. Gotta tie that in with dog-years somehow.

It was announced in February and released in April.

Nice attempt at revising history.

Perhaps you are confused by the Galaxy S, the one that blatantly copied the iPhone 3G/GS.
post #59 of 112
Quote:

\I believe I already suggested picture taking on a slate isn't something I'd want to do. But since you wanted to make an issue of the two cameras, the iPad 2s main camera is a small 0.7-megapixel while the Tab 10.1s camera has a much larger sensor, 3-megapixel. In addition the Tab allows for a number of camera settings including white balance, smile/action presets and exposure control.

Compare the two here if you wish. This review wasn't based on "specs".
http://recombu.com/news/samsung-gala...-2_M15203.html

You were arguing that Samsung "improves" technology with a bunch of meaningless specs.

The fact that they went backwards with the camera resolution when they copied the iPad 2 shows why the specs are meaningless and are a further indication of Samsung copying Apple's design philosophy.
post #60 of 112
Quote:

It was announced in February and released in April.

Nice attempt at revising history.

Perhaps you are confused by the Galaxy S, the one that blatantly copied the iPhone 3G/GS.

Thanks for the correction.
post #61 of 112
Quote:

You were arguing that Samsung "improves" technology with a bunch of meaningless specs.

The fact that they went backwards with the camera resolution when they copied the iPad 2 shows why the specs are meaningless and are a further indication of Samsung copying Apple's design philosophy.

Meaningless to you may be useful to others. That's why having several choices benefits consumers.
post #62 of 112
Quote:

Meaningless to you may be useful to others. That's why having several choices benefits consumers.

And that's why Apple keeps the previous year's iPhone around.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
post #63 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And that's why Apple keeps the previous year's iPhone around.

Dead on. +1.
I fully expect to see this years model continued after the new one is announced.
post #64 of 112
One has to wonder when they're going to "quit this bitch." Given that they are still 4x the size of Apple in most respects, I guess they've got the pockets to get some settlement that allows them to copy Apple...no matter what it costs.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #65 of 112
Quote:

That would explain Samsung removing the choice to buy a Galaxy Tab 10.1 tablet with an 8 megapixel camera as they slavishly mimicked Apple.
post #66 of 112
Quote:

Even Apple does not has an issue with back of GT 10.1.(ie. The brick is not an issue).

Apple relys on the Community Design registered in Euroupe in 2004. It is about rounded corners in rectangular shape. See the image, it does not look like IPad nor GT 10.1. And see below link and comment what you think.

Well Apple may have been concerned about that but if Samsung had a big ass brick on the back of the Galaxy Tab, it would not have infringed on the community design which makes the comparison senseless.
post #67 of 112
Yea, Apple invented rectangle and Al Gore invented the Internet.

No wonder Al Gore is one of the Apple Board members

Mac IIcx, Mac Quadra 800, Mac Performa 5200, Power Mac 8600, LaserWriter, iPhone 3G, iPad 3G, iPhone 4S | MacBook Pro, 27" iMac, iPad 3 LTE

Mac IIcx, Mac Quadra 800, Mac Performa 5200, Power Mac 8600, LaserWriter, iPhone 3G, iPad 3G, iPhone 4S | MacBook Pro, 27" iMac, iPad 3 LTE

post #68 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury99 View Post

This statement dropped the IQ level of the discussion by at least 20 points.
post #69 of 112
We do not copy

Apple is copying us

Ask HAL 9000

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #70 of 112
deleted
post #71 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Consider the collective billions of dollars siphoned ultimately from consumers to pay for these suits, counter-suits, and counter-counter-suits....

I'd hazard a guess at much less than a buck per unit. Well worth it for the entertainment value...
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #72 of 112
deleted
post #73 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahblade View Post

So true!

I'm waiting for Samsung to start selling Rolex watch knock offs next!
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
post #74 of 112
Quote:

Too much Fox News?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Pe...on_Act_of_1991

"In a 1999 CNN interview Gore created some controversy when his expression "I took the initiative in creating the Internet" was misquoted by comedians and the popular media as if he had "invented the Internet". This representation (Gore's) was widely reaffirmed by notable Internet pioneers, such as Vint Cerf and Bob Kahn, stating "No one in public life has been more intellectually engaged in helping to create the climate for a thriving Internet than the Vice President."

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gore_Bill
post #75 of 112
Quote:

Too much Fox News?

"In a 1999 CNN interview Gore created some controversy when his expression "I took the initiative in creating the Internet" was misquoted by comedians and the popular media as if he had "invented the Internet". This representation (Gore's) was widely reaffirmed by notable Internet pioneers, such as Vint Cerf and Bob Kahn, stating "No one in public life has been more intellectually engaged in helping to create the climate for a thriving Internet than the Vice President."

Come now - Gore deserved what he got. Taking "the initiative in creating the internet" is a whole lot stronger than "helping to create the climate for a thriving internet". A whole lot stronger.
post #76 of 112
Quote:

Too much Fox News?

Yea, and Apple took "the initiative in creating a rectangle".

Or let's put it this way: "no one has been more intellectually engaged in helping to create the climate for a thriving" a rectangle than Apple.

post #77 of 112
Quote:

Yea, and Apple took "the initiative in creating a rectangle".

Or let's put it this way: "no one has been more intellectually engaged in helping to create the climate for a thriving" a rectangle than Apple.

A rectangle, which when backed up by 40 pages of explanation in a court of law, has proven quite effective at stopping uninnovative copiers.

Besides which the EUROPEAN design you derisively and jokingly refer to, HAS NO BEARING on what is happening in Australia.
post #78 of 112
Quote:

A rectangle, which when backed up by 40 pages of explanation in a court of law, has proven quite effective at stopping uninnovative copiers.

Besides which the EUROPEAN design you derisively and jokingly refer to, HAS NO BEARING on what is happening in Australia.

Actually it doesn't matter how many pages they have, a rectangle is a rectangle, European courts have already ruled that when there is only one way of designing something, you can't patent it, so in European the rectangle comment is a joke.
post #79 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Actually it doesn't matter how many pages they have, a rectangle is a rectangle, European courts have already ruled that when there is only one way of designing something, you can't patent it, so in European the rectangle comment is a joke.

Quote:

I really wish people would stop with that nonsense.

The German court relied on the SPECIFICS of the community design patent, not any one element. If you look at the final German decision:
http://fosspatents.blogspot.com/2011...-regional.html

Quote:
"(iii) unde the clear surface, there are noticeable, neutrally-designed delineations on all sides of the display with the same proportions at the top and at the bottom

(iv) the view of a thin rim surrounding the front surface

(v) a back panel that rounds up near the edges to form the thin rim around the front surface,"

Samsung could have made the device non-infringing by having non-equal borders. Or by having the rim invisible from the front (or thick from the front). Or by not using a back panel that rounded up to form the thin rim around the surface.

It's the flipping DESIGN that is infringed, not the general shape.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #80 of 112
Quote:

4G does me no good (not in an area that will have it anytime soon). As for the phone, the iPhone 4 is over a year old. We can revisit once the new iPhone is released

Using your method, we can then revisit when the Galaxy S III is released. See how that works?

And just because you live in the boonies does not mean that 4G is not an improvement overall. By that logic, one could claim that the iPhone is no good, because some people live in the Yukon and have no cellular service.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung files patent case against Apple in Australia over iPhone, iPad