or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Netflix spins off its DVD-by-mail service as Qwikster
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Netflix spins off its DVD-by-mail service as Qwikster - Page 2

post #41 of 128
Imagine that.... content providers jack up the wholesale price, and the retailer (Netflix) is forced to increase the selling price to consumers! Oh lordy, what has this warld come toooo.!

But we will blame Netflix, because we don't know any better and because they have the logo, the catchy name, etc.

We will scream foul when the CEO says hes splitting the company into two distinct entities, not because we ourselves have any knowledge of business (ie the fact that all other Countries besides the US have streaming only and will benefit from said separation).

We, the ignorant manifesties, feverishly looking for the next corporation to attack with our pitch forks and flaming torches.

I say Netflix is just the tip of the iceberg. Lets stick it to the real villains! Like jewelers who tell me I have to pay more for engagement rings because the price of gold, platinum and diamonds has increased! How about the evil grocery stores who increase the price of my most favourtist tasty cheeses when the price of dairy increases!

Let them allllllll buuuurrrrn!
post #42 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by katastroff View Post

Quitster.


A.K.A. Trixster
post #43 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

Wow! how stupid. They have this great brand name. Technology would allow them to integrate the services like they are currently doing. But now they want us to go to two different websites and have two different logins. This makes no sense!

I'm sure their thinking was that if they split the brands, then charging for each separately will look better to consumers: "Look, we're not doubling your charge, we're splitting it into two separate charges."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsyedinak View Post

Same here. I am amazed at how bad the Streaming Movie selection is - mostly B movies and seeing the same ones at that for many months. On the DVD Side, the wait is glacial compared to what i could get for cheap at the local rental store or Redbox or Itunes or....

The selection seems to change almost daily, but I generally find plenty of choices. You don't really expect a huge selection of newly released films for what they charge, do you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by msuberly View Post

What was AOL dialup great at? I remember back in the 90's getting endless busy signals until AOL was sued for breach of contract. What was Borders great at? Barnes and Noble always had a better selection of books. I finally stopped referring to Borders as a bookstore.

AOL was fine until it grew too big for itself and before Internet access became commonplace. Borders had a better magazine selection and had a much better music department with some great listening booths. I discovered a lot of new music their back in the day.
post #44 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhende7 View Post

Imagine that.... content providers jack up the wholesale price, and the retailer (Netflix) is forced to increase the selling price to consumers! Oh lordy, what has this warld come toooo.!

But we will blame Netflix, because we don't know any better and because they have the logo, the catchy name, etc.

We will scream foul when the CEO says hes splitting the company into two distinct entities, not because we ourselves have any knowledge of business (ie the fact that all other Countries besides the US have streaming only and will benefit from said separation).

We, the ignorant manifesties, feverishly looking for the next corporation to attack with our pitch forks and flaming torches.

I say Netflix is just the tip of the iceberg. Lets stick it to the real villains! Like jewelers who tell me I have to pay more for engagement rings because the price of gold, platinum and diamonds has increased! How about the evil grocery stores who increase the price of my most favourtist tasty cheeses when the price of dairy increases!

Let them allllllll buuuurrrrn!

1. Don't be a dick. 2. If unsure, see rule 1.

(Sarcasm = being a dick)
post #45 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhende7 View Post

Imagine that.... content providers jack up the wholesale price, and the retailer (Netflix) is forced to increase the selling price to consumers! Oh lordy, what has this warld come toooo.!

Absolutely - I didn't understand the huge backlash. Most of us have been getting away with effectively paying $2/month for unlimited streaming of content - far less than that service's value, and now people bitch because the cost is going up to what we probably should have been paying in the first place.

If you're so pissed off, dump Netflix, pay for Amazon Prime (which I was happy to do before they offered unlimited streaming as part of the service), and use that instead. The selection is far more limited, but hey, it's a lot cheaper...
post #46 of 128
Mr. Read. Nice try but you have failed. This has never been a problem of the announcement. There was a value in the combined services, having a single login, having a single search to see what is available on DVD, streaming, or both. I liked when a movie on my DVD list became available for streaming I could clearly see it and remove it from the DVD list.
post #47 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

1. Don't be a dick. 2. If unsure, see rule 1.

I didn't see this post as 'being a dick' - I saw it as pointing out why those who have been bitching about the cost of goods going up as being dicks.
post #48 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

For DVD customers, this might be a bad thing, but for streaming only customers, I see it as a good thing. No longer will useless DVD results show up when I'm searching for something. Netflix is expanding globally, and streaming will be a big part of that.

Netflix clearly sees the Streaming and DVD through mail business as being two different things, and the DVD business has got to be much more costly to operate than streaming, with physical media, distribution centers to operate and mail delivery, all of which adds to the costs. People who want physical media should pay more.

Netflix is most likely not a bunch of socialists and the streaming people shouldn't have to subsidize the mail rental people. I can totally see why they would want to separate the two businesses from each other.

Netflix started as DVD rental by mail service, then they added free streaming. Seems more like DVD was subsidizing streaming if anything. And people who want physical media isn't asked to pay more, just pay what they were paying originally before streaming came along and was free.
post #49 of 128
LOL so just because you have 2 different products, you need 2 different companies? Good god man.
post #50 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by katastroff View Post

Quitster.

Quitster indeed!

Does Reed Hastings have some sort of substance abuse or bipolar problem we're not aware of? This move - totally severing whatever synergy there was between the delivery and streaming businesses - seems insane.

Telling those of us who made great use of both the delivery and streaming services that our queues, recommendations, ratings and history are now unlinked is like inviting us to go elsewhere.

With this move Netflix has effectively leveled the playing field and brought themselves DOWN to the level of the competition in their individual businesses.

#FAIL.
post #51 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

As for Netflix splitting their business in two, that is a good move. Streaming is where the future is at and DVD rentals through the mail is a dying business.

LOL...talking about "parroting".

Bandwidth caps are coming, in many cases they are already here. Streaming quality doesn't come close to what is available on disc. HD streaming content has even a more limited selection then the pathetic choices of "standard" quality streaming.

I think this announcement is a huge win for Blockbuster. Netflix and their spin off company will be dead in under 3 years.

-kpluck

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

Reply

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

Reply
post #52 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

1. Don't be a dick. 2. If unsure, see rule 1.

(Sarcasm = being a dick)

I'd like to point out two things.

1. This whole thread is riddled with misconception, a lack of education on the subject matter, whining, ignorance and gloating. All actions, deserving an equal and opposite reaction, I have provided a response that is equal (ie poorly written and arrogant sounding) and opposite (full of reason, logic, knowledge of the material at hand).

2. If me using sarcasm constitutes me being a dick, then you sarcastically mocking my sarcastic posts makes you a double dick, or some unnamed organ or appendage that is twice as insulting to use.
post #53 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

LOL...talking about "parroting".

Bandwidth caps are coming, in many cases they are already here. Streaming quality doesn't come close to what is available on disc. HD streaming content has even a more limited selection then the pathetic choices of "standard" quality streaming.

I think this announcement is a huge win for Blockbuster. Netflix and their spin off company will be dead in under 3 years.

-kpluck

Umm, streaming quality DOES come close. Maybe your connection is just too slow. An HD stream looks about as good as HD from my television provider.

The quality alone doesn't justify separating the two things anyways.

Also, where did you hear about a cap on landlines data? I'll lose my shit if Comcast tells me I can't go over a certain amount. Streaming movies and downloading games from Steam alone uses a ton of data :/
post #54 of 128
Quickster = New Coke = massive fail

"Goodbye Netflix and goodbye Qwikster". Was a great quote earlier in the thread. Oh, lookie here.... I mis-spelled their new company name in my first sentence even after seeing it 30+ times.

What they fail to understand is that I as a customer do NOT want:
Two queues,
Two logins
Two websites,
Two places to update for address, credit card...

I was barely OK with the 60% price hike because I expected Netflix to go out and buy new & better streaming content.

Way to utterly destroy your brand.
post #55 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post

Netflix => Tailspin

They will auger in soon. Hulu & Blockbuster say thanks

Apple probably not too upset either...

Not so sure about that. Netflix can see where their business is going to be in the future and they're doing something other companies don't always do: they're trying to adapt and prepare for the future before a competitor (like Apple) comes in and messes up the party. I can understand the logic behind their move and making changes to stay ahead of this is the right thing to do. I suppose some people may not see this, but the technical aspect of keeping both elements of the company merged would be a significant impediment against the agility and speed which they may require in the future.

As a Netflix customer, though, I'm a bit sour about how they've handled it. I don't like that I'm now paying more money for less features and a less inconvenient product. It makes me a little more eager to ditch them. And Qwikster? Who the hell came up with that? They should be fired and they should correct that mistake before it hurts even more to do so. I think Gruber hit the nail on the head there. What about something like Mailflix? Something which takes on a sense of immediate familiarity with users—something which is only a partial atrocity against the English language.
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
Reply
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
Reply
post #56 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Umm, streaming quality DOES come close. Maybe your connection is just too slow. An HD stream looks about as good as HD from my television provider.

The quality alone doesn't justify separating the two things anyways.

Also, where did you hear about a cap on landlines data? I'll lose my shit if Comcast tells me I can't go over a certain amount. Streaming movies and downloading games from Steam alone uses a ton of data :/

There is no data cap. Comcast calls it "Excessive Use" and they say it presents no issues for 99 percent of their uses.
post #57 of 128
Right now I am looking at going amazon and getting rid of Netflix does anyone out there have any suggestions for a Netflix replacement.
Thanks for any help
post #58 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

As a Netflix customer, though, I'm a bit sour about how they've handled it. I don't like that I'm now paying more money for less features and a less inconvenient product. It makes me a little more eager to ditch them. And Qwikster? Who the hell came up with that? They should be fired and they should correct that mistake before it hurts even more to do so. I think Gruber hit the nail on the head there. What about something like Mailflix? Something which takes on a sense of immediate familiarity with userssomething which is only a partial atrocity against the English language.

I think fired might be a little drastic. Maybe demoted to one of the guys that handles licking the envelopes and sending the DVD's out :-)
post #59 of 128
Who cares? I mean really. I am not upset about this split at ALL. Seriously. Just a bunch of whiners IMHO. Personally, i dropped the DVD service awhile ago. Unlimted streaming of movies for $8 a month is the best deal in town. Having said that, Netflix DOES need to improve it's catalouge of older titles. Especially if streaming is the future. My favorite genre is foreign movies, and their selection is getting pretty slim. I mean they have 6 badly dubbed cheesy Italian Hercules movies, and like ONE Fellini film! Thats insane. Something is wrong with that. Lol. Seriously. Less Hercules Vs The Ninjas, and more Fellini, Truffaut, Kurosawa etc.

Do that, and you have a loyal subscriber.

When i need a new new title....i either go to the Red DVD Kiosk at the supermarket across the stree, or stream it from itunes for $4.99 in a pinch.

Perhaps Netflix will start offering this option in the future.

Personally, if Apple ends up pulling a Netflix and offering reasonable monthly streaming subscriptions...i will jump ship for sure. But until then, Netflix streaming is still a GREAT deal.

DVDs are on their way out. I think when Apple finally releases their optical driveless macbook pros this January...it will be official. :-)

I think those complaining that Netflix is seperating their businesses, are just clinging to the past. Get over it. :-)
post #60 of 128
how does the disc by mail as a separate business enable you to add games etc?

as press releases go "Netflix Now Offers XBox and PS3 Games by Mail" would be much more effective.

if the two businesses have such different cost structures etc just run them as two wholly owned subsidiaries or something.

hmm, if this trend catches on we'll soon be buying Apple iPhones, Orange iPads, and Banana Notebooks.
post #61 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstep View Post

The idiocy is taking your well-know brand name that stands for movie rentals (whether dvd or streaming) and calling it something completely different, billing separately, managing the website side separately.

Bundling it and using the brand name keeps people using that product. A '$2 off per month' when using both DVD and streaming deal would help with the same. Calling it Inprise instead of Borland doesn't. (Oh, sorry, just thinking of other completely asinine moves like that. ) You lose the entire brand for no reason.

There's no reason that Netflix can't have 2 units with independent heads running them - make sure you have synergy where appropriate, but that each person can focus on running the best version of their particular business. You don't have to dump your company name - unless you're really trying to destroy your own brand for some reason. Maybe the guy shorted his stock or something.

For that matter, 'Hi, I'm the largest hammer maker in the world. I'm going to stop making hammers now and focus on enterprise software because it has higher margins.' has to go down as another piece of lunacy. Replace hammer with PC, obviously. And of course people make these terrible decisions and walk away with huge severance packages when the ouster comes. C'mon, _I_ can make bad decisions and take a lot of money for it, where's my gravy train?


I think you have the wrong metaphor. Try this one
"Hi, I'm the largest buggy whip maker in the world. I'm going to stop making buggy whips and focus on the new fangled automobile because they are the future."

Other than for a very short period of time, DVD rentals by mail never made very much business sense. I'm sure Netflix wants to get out of it as quickly as they can.

I do agree that their exit plan has not been excuted at all well.
post #62 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

Bandwidth caps are coming, in many cases they are already here. Streaming quality doesn't come close to what is available on disc. HD streaming content has even a more limited selection then the pathetic choices of "standard" quality streaming.

I think this announcement is a huge win for Blockbuster. Netflix and their spin off company will be dead in under 3 years.

-kpluck

People have been talking about "bandwidth caps" for many years. There are no such caps where I am, and I really doubt that they're coming any time soon. It would never fly here.

As for the quality issue, Blu-ray is of course great, but DVD is not that great and newer things that get added to Netflix streaming are often in HD, so more and more content will be in HD. A good example of what I mean is when I mentioned that Breaking Bad just got added recently. That's in HD and the quality is vastly superior to DVD. As long as somebody has a decent connection, then the quality of Netflix streaming is pretty darn good.

As for Blockbuster, it'll all depend on their content, and we'll see what they have when it comes out and is available to all. I read that it's only available to Direct TV subscribers to start, so that kind of limits the amount of people that will be getting it right away. If it's better than Netflix, then I'd check it out for sure, we shall see. I see that Blockbuster is getting Starz content, and that right there sounds like a big turnoff for me, especially if they're going to keep the same crappy quality that they had on Netflix.
post #63 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Netflix streaming blows. I'd say realistically that 80% of their selection is just complete low-rated garbage.

Agreed. I find little of interest.

And the TV selection is strange - They have some seasons of the series, but not others. It is almost as if they are intentionally telling you that they are not a complete solution.
post #64 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by regan View Post

I think those complaining that Netflix is seperating their businesses, are just clinging to the past. Get over it. :-)

Yep. When Apple dumped the floppy drive and came out with the Cd-Rom only iMac, I'm sure there were a few people still living in the past, crying about their floppies. Time marches on, and people can either get with it, or be left behind.
post #65 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post

This is So Stupid! Let's take an incredibly well known name, with incredible customer good will - and destroy it all in a matter of months! As someone said an a Washington Post article today, the only thing left of Netflix 2 years from now will be a Harvard Business School case study in what not to do when you have a successful company!

That will have to take second place to the HP way of destroying a company.
post #66 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwal View Post


Other than for a very short period of time, DVD rentals by mail never made very much business sense. I'm sure Netflix wants to get out of it as quickly as they can.

Not sure what you mean? Netflix has been doing DVD rental by mail for over 10 years and made lots of money doing it. It seems like good business senses.
post #67 of 128
I do agree that the name Quikster is a lame name. When you think about it, streaming movies is "quicker". Lol.

Who really cares? DVDs are going the way of the dinosaur, and ANY name they come up with, no matter how cool OR goofy, is going to fade into memory anyway.

And whoever suggested "MailFlix"....it sounds like a gay movie company. Lol.

Personally? I would just call it NetflixDVD and leave it at that. Keep it associated with the netflix name, but just let it die a slow death. Heck, even the US post office may go out of business. At the very least go to a 5 day mail delivery week. Bottom line, is that snail mail is a thing of the past. Time to let it go....along with the mock anger towards Netflix of trying to grow with the technological flow.

Again, the only current big Netflix needs to address is increasing the catalouge of older films available to stream. If streaming is the future...and it is....they need to focus on improving that.

I am sure down the road, they will have different streaming packages. But for now, if all they got is one option....they need to make it better by adding more classic titles.
post #68 of 128
This isn't actually Reed Hastings' fault. It's this guy's fault: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziOpcodkupw
post #69 of 128
A non-tech person, buys a dvd player and notices Netflix installed. They then go to the website to sign up and realized for an additional fee, they can get the dvd's mailed too. Netflix doubles their income say 50% of the time at sign up?

They are giving this up?

Makes no sense what so ever.
post #70 of 128
I have to wonder if their long term plan is to kill the DVD part completely (hoping that most customers just switch to streaming), and this is their sneaky way of working up to that?

If they were to just kill it, there would be a big backlash and they'd lose a lot of customers, probably including some who would be amenable to being on a streaming only plan.

Maybe something like this:
1 Raise DVD prices
2 Split DVD to separate company
3 DVD "company" isn't doing well any more, oops we went out of business.


Quote:
Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post

You don't really expect a huge selection of newly released films for what they charge, do you?

Funny, with the DVD plan you do get a huge selection for that price. And I'd be happy to pay a bit more on the streaming side for a big improvement in selection.

But right now it's nowhere close to a "huge" selection, it's an absolutely pitiful one. Here's a fun test - sit and make a list of 100 movies you'd like to watch on your TV. Most likely, if you check on streaming, you'll be lucky to find 5 of those available. And that's not even listing all new releases, if you look for new stuff it's even less.

The current streaming selection is indefensibly bad. Sure, there's stuff to watch but you have to dig through their skimpy list of what's available - coming from the DVD side where they had almost anything, it pretty much rules out the possibility of thinking of a movie you want to see and being able to get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

Netflix started as DVD rental by mail service, then they added free streaming. Seems more like DVD was subsidizing streaming if anything. And people who want physical media isn't asked to pay more, just pay what they were paying originally before streaming came along and was free.

Actually that's not true, the $8 is for one disk at a time. The original plan was 3 and was around $16, now to get that it costs $24, so it has gone up quite a bit.


Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Umm, streaming quality DOES come close. Maybe your connection is just too slow. An HD stream looks about as good as HD from my television provider.

And your TV provider probably sends a pretty bad HD signal, so he's right that it comes nowhere close to the same content on disc.
post #71 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

Actually that's not true, the $8 is for one disk at a time. The original plan was 3 and was around $16, now to get that it costs $24, so it has gone up quite a bit.

Ok, it has gone up quite a bit. But not too much complaining about that though. Sounds to me like DVD was really subsidizing streaming and the complainers are the streaming folks. I understand why they complain though because streaming has always been associated with free.
post #72 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJT View Post

A non-tech person, buys a dvd player and notices Netflix installed. They then go to the website to sign up and realized for an additional fee, they can get the dvd's mailed too. Netflix doubles their income say 50% of the time at sign up?

They are giving this up?

Makes no sense what so ever.

Probably because you don't know anything about running a business nor have any information as to how much money Netflix made off their physical distribution anymore.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #73 of 128
Actually, the more i think about it, the people who seem to be upset about the name change and service split, are most likely investors in Netflix stock, which has taken a beating because of this. Makes sense I guess.

As a customer tho, it doesn't affect me at all.

Netflix the company sees the writing on the wall. Streaming is the future, and it's happening fast.

It's only a matter of time before Apple comes out with their own subscription based service for movies, and Netflix is trying to switch gears thats all.

Perhaps they've done it in a clumsy way...but again, i am not an investor of Netflix stock, so i am not angry. As a customer of their streaming service tho, i am very happy. More movies need to be added IMHO....but $8 for unlimited streaming of movies is the best deal in town.

Enjoy it while you can, because i am sure between data caps and providers charging Netflix more for their content in the future....prices will go up for streaming subscriptions eventually.
post #74 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

The ironic thing is piracy is the concern/reason for not having that content available on the streaming side, and yet ripping a DVD is easier than ripping a live stream.

The really good movies are protected pretty well. Handbrake fails on the copy protected ones. Of course for Windows guys you probably have AnyDVD which always seems to work.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #75 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by katastroff View Post

Quitster.

Great way to kill off a company: rename it to something illogical and forgettable.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply
post #76 of 128
A great time for Apple to release a streaming video service with Great Content......
post #77 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

The really good movies are protected pretty well. Handbrake fails on the copy protected ones.

??? Which ones are those? Never had a single disc unrippable with HandBrake.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #78 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

The really good movies are protected pretty well. Handbrake fails on the copy protected ones. Of course for Windows guys you probably have AnyDVD which always seems to work.

Irrelevant sidenote: handbrake replaced their own decryption with VLC libraries almost 3 years ago. I don't think it was ever the best mac decrypter. It was handy for converting a disc or two; I'm happy the Devs are focused on improving what handbrake does best.
post #79 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

??? Which ones are those? Never had a single disc unrippable with HandBrake.

Sorry I don't recall exactly but ones like Batman, X-men etc that appeal to the young hacker set are usually well protected. There are different levels like extra bogus directories which is pretty easy to spot but the hard ones require more advanced cracking tools.


Edit: I rip them because 1.) Netflix has nothing but crap on the live streaming side and 2.) I mostly watch movies when traveling in a foreign country, in a hotel or on the plane just to pass the time where there is no DVD. I rarely watch DVDs at home. I am not distributing them. I only watch a movie once and then delete it.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #80 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

Not sure what you mean? Netflix has been doing DVD rental by mail for over 10 years and made lots of money doing it. It seems like good business senses.

There was a window of opportunity but it was closing as early as 2009 as by then their revenue per subscriber was steadily declining. With the switch to streaming they could reduce their per subscriber cost negating the impact of reduced per subscriber revenue. Most of their growth in the last couple of years has been through increased subscription driven by the streaming opton. That doesn't go on forever. They had to choose which business was sustatinable. IMHO I think they made the correct choice just executed it very very badly.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Netflix spins off its DVD-by-mail service as Qwikster