or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Purported iPhone 5 pics with A5 chip appear to actually be iPhone 4S
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Purported iPhone 5 pics with A5 chip appear to actually be iPhone 4S

post #1 of 38
Thread Starter 
A series of photos depicting new iPhone logic board and related components have been advertised as belonging to iPhone 5, but actually appear to be "iPhone 4S," a redesigned, faster iPhone 4 model expected to target lower-end markets.

A report by Mike Webb of MacPost notes that additional photos of the purported iPhone 5 internals have appeared that depict "the other side" of the picture, showing an external case virtually identical to today's iPhone 4.

Flipped over, the logic board of the same device appears to include an A5 chip (like that used in the iPad 2), but also a new rear camera ribbon cable with a right angle, appearing identical to parts previously identified as being destined for iPhone 5.



Together, the pictures suggest that Apple's rumored iPhone 4S will be a faster version of the iPhone 4, incorporating an A5 chip and other component changes that should enable Apple to continue selling the model as its entry level iPhone as it also introduces a new iPhone 5.
post #2 of 38
9to5 debunked this image.
post #3 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_peripheral View Post

9to5 debunked this image.

Debunked that it was an iPhone 5? Or that it was an iPhone 4S? Or that it was an actual photograph of an upcoming Apple product?
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
post #4 of 38
why the obsession? just wait till it comes out... it's like spoiling the end of a movie.
post #5 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Debunked that it was an iPhone 5? Or that it was an iPhone 4S? Or that it was an actual photograph of an upcoming Apple product?

The latter.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #6 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The latter.

Thank you.

<end of thread>
post #7 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCenHou View Post

why the obsession? just wait till it comes out... it's like spoiling the end of a movie.

The narrator is Tyler Durden.
Rosebud is his sled.
Darth Vader is Luke's father.
Norman Bates dresses up as mother.
They we on Earth the whole time.
Verbal is Keyser Söze.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #8 of 38
Aloha AppleInsider forums. First post here, but I wanted to just make an observation on all this iphone 4s vs. iphone 5 rumors.

From a business standpoint, what would compel apple to ship an iphone 4s with an A5 processor, while also shipping an iphone 5 with the same?

If the iphone 4s model is supposed to be a "budget" handset, I really can't see them putting anything other than an A4 processor in it. It would really handicap the flagship if the budget phone ships with the same processor.

The really bad news is that if there really is an iphone 4s with an A5 processor, I doubt we're seeing an iphone 5 until next year.

I REALLY HOPE I AM WRONG ON THIS. It's like betting on Mayweather, and hoping Ortiz wins. Haha.

What do you folks think?
post #9 of 38
Can you say iPhone? Nice try.
An Apple man since 1977
Reply
An Apple man since 1977
Reply
post #10 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by poiboy005 View Post

Aloha AppleInsider forums. First post here, but I wanted to just make an observation on all this iphone 4s vs. iphone 5 rumors.

From a business standpoint, what would compel apple to ship an iphone 4s with an A5 processor, while also shipping an iphone 5 with the same?

If the iphone 4s model is supposed to be a "budget" handset, I really can't see them putting anything other than an A4 processor in it. It would really handicap the flagship if the budget phone ships with the same processor.

The really bad news is that if there really is an iphone 4s with an A5 processor, I doubt we're seeing an iphone 5 until next year.

I REALLY HOPE I AM WRONG ON THIS. It's like betting on Mayweather, and hoping Ortiz wins. Haha.

What do you folks think?

There are reasons for moving to better and newer components for cheaper devices. Economics of scale. I don't think that will happen, but that scenario should be considered, especially with mass produced electronics.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #11 of 38
I think it is pretty clear that Apple is going to offer 2 models.

Apple needs a cheaper model to enter China and make a strong push in India which account for almost 1/2 of the worlds population.

There will be a iPhone 4s and iPhone 5.
post #12 of 38
1) iPhone 4 with 8GB as entry-level iPhone for $49 subsidized. Maybe cheaper materials to lower cost.

2) iPhone 5 with A5. Slightly different design, more RAM memory and faster to get people to upgrade.

3) iPhone 3GS with A4 as a pre-paid phone. Can run iOS5.

That's what I think.
post #13 of 38
Same SoC != same speed though, I hope someone benchmarks it to see if the CPU or GPU aren't crippled in some way or how much throttling kicks in.
post #14 of 38
How the hell am I meant to fit that in my pocket!!! ...

Or

Nice external antenna array ..
post #15 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by poiboy005 View Post

Aloha AppleInsider forums. First post here, but I wanted to just make an observation on all this iphone 4s vs. iphone 5 rumors.

From a business standpoint, what would compel apple to ship an iphone 4s with an A5 processor, while also shipping an iphone 5 with the same?

If the iphone 4s model is supposed to be a "budget" handset, I really can't see them putting anything other than an A4 processor in it. It would really handicap the flagship if the budget phone ships with the same processor.

The really bad news is that if there really is an iphone 4s with an A5 processor, I doubt we're seeing an iphone 5 until next year.

I REALLY HOPE I AM WRONG ON THIS. It's like betting on Mayweather, and hoping Ortiz wins. Haha.

What do you folks think?

They can manufacture 1 processor for all of the iPhones and iPads. This makes it cheaper. Ship a cheaper handset with the 3.5" screen and 8gb flash and the premium iPhone with the larger screen and more flash. By using the one CPU they can use lower grade units in the cheaper phone by under clocking them (the same way chip manufacturers work with modern CPUs) or using just a single core.
post #16 of 38
It's a 4Gs....No! It's an iphone 5! No! It's an iphone 4Gs! No!....

Stop it! Stop it! Stop it! Stop the insanity!

LOL. Seriously. Every day it goes back and forth like this. Enough already. Sheesh.

We will all find out in a few weeks what it is for sure. Until then no more articles about this ok?

But of course it will continue. You can't stop the iphone madness.

I just saw the movie Contagion, and it's alot like that. Lol.
post #17 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The narrator is Tyler Durden.
Rosebud is his sled.
Darth Vader is Luke's father.
Norman Bates dresses up as mother.
They we on Earth the whole time.
Verbal is Keyser Söze.

Damn you Solipsism - six movies ruined!
post #18 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The narrator is Tyler Durden.
Rosebud is his sled.
Darth Vader is Luke's father.
Norman Bates dresses up as mother.
They we on Earth the whole time.
Verbal is Keyser Söze.


Side note:

I think you meant to say...

They were on Earth the whole time

In reference to Planet of the Apes?
post #19 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patranus View Post

Apple needs a cheaper model to enter China and make a strong push in India which account for almost 1/2 of the worlds population.

A "cheaper phone" is completely meaningless when the plans still require data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

iPhone 3GS with A4 as a pre-paid phone.

Absolute insanity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleGreen, modified

The other two things I said plus continuing to sell the iPhone 3GS as a pre-paid phone.

I LOVE THIS IDEA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

Same SoC != same speed though, I hope someone benchmarks it to see if the CPU or GPU aren't crippled in some way or how much throttling kicks in.

Apple has been doing this forever already. The first iPhone was 600MHz downclocked to 412. The first iPod touch was 600MHz downclocked to 400 until 1.1.4 brought it up to 412.

The 3G (and maybe S?) was (/were?) downclocked as well.

FRIGGING LION, DOWNCLOCKED IS ONE WORD.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #20 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The narrator is Tyler Durden.
Rosebud is his sled.
Darth Vader is Luke's father.
Norman Bates dresses up as mother.
They we on Earth the whole time.
Verbal is Keyser Söze.

The ship sinks

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #21 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

A "cheaper phone" is completely meaningless when the plans still require data.

One would think so, yes. But look at the "success" RIM and the Android makers have had with their BOGO deals.
post #22 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

1) iPhone 4 with 8GB as entry-level iPhone for $49 subsidized. Maybe cheaper materials to lower cost.

2) iPhone 5 with A5. Slightly different design, more RAM memory and faster to get people to upgrade.

3) iPhone 3GS with A4 as a pre-paid phone. Can run iOS5.

That's what I think.

YEA BABY
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
post #23 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

1) iPhone 4 with 8GB as entry-level iPhone for $49 subsidized. Maybe cheaper materials to lower cost.

2) iPhone 5 with A5. Slightly different design, more RAM memory and faster to get people to upgrade.

3) iPhone 3GS with A4 as a pre-paid phone. Can run iOS5.

That's what I think.


3GS can already run iOS5. I thought that was part of the beta build devices?
post #24 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A series of photos depicting new iPhone logic board and related components have been advertised as belonging to iPhone 5, but actually appear to be "iPhone 4S," a redesigned, faster iPhone 4 model expected to target lower-end markets. ...

How on earth can photos "actually" be of an iPhone 4s, when the very term is one that's been made up by the media? I mean we literally don't even know if such a thing exists or is even planned by Apple in the first place yet it's talked about as if it's a real thing.

The rumour mongering is just ridiculous at this stage. I don't think I can recall when it's ever been this bad, or a time when so much has been presupposed based on so little evidence of anything at all.

AppleInsider used to be one of the few places where they didn't just report every stupid thing that came along and actually did some analysis of what might or might not be happening.

You guys have gotten as bad as the rest of them this year. It's really not even worth reading the stories anymore.
post #25 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by poiboy005 View Post

Aloha AppleInsider forums. First post here, but I wanted to just make an observation on all this iphone 4s vs. iphone 5 rumors.

From a business standpoint, what would compel apple to ship an iphone 4s with an A5 processor, while also shipping an iphone 5 with the same?

Good question. There are a couple of reasons but the big one is commonality of parts which can be a hug pay off for high volumes that Apple budgets for.
Quote:

If the iphone 4s model is supposed to be a "budget" handset, I really can't see them putting anything other than an A4 processor in it. It would really handicap the flagship if the budget phone ships with the same processor.

This is a ridiculous notion. A5 can be ran at a number of clock rates, and if Apple has managed to shrink the die even more clock rates are possible. So iPhone Apple could also distinguish the phones by included RAM or other features.
Quote:
The really bad news is that if there really is an iphone 4s with an A5 processor, I doubt we're seeing an iphone 5 until next year.

You are reading this the wrong way, this is fantastic news. It means you get the benefits of dual cores, amongst other benefits, in a low cost iPhone. This means you have a platform that should drive iOS 5 really well.
Quote:
I REALLY HOPE I AM WRONG ON THIS. It's like betting on Mayweather, and hoping Ortiz wins. Haha.

What do you folks think?

I think you are viewing this rumor in the wrong way. having an entry level iPhone with a high performance processor would be very damaging to the competition. Further more it wouldn't impact iPhone 5 sales anymore the the sale of the GS impacts iPhone 4 sales.
post #26 of 38
It would make sense to me too that they would stick to the A4 (perhaps a newer version thereof?). These will also be cheaper due to large number of them. Although it is possible that A5 actually is no more expensive due to smaller scale fab process, and Apple does like simplicity. There are other places to save.

They could use identical boards for both phones, then save on screen, camera and battery. Could also cut RAM and have plastic case. I don't think they could ditch any of the "toys" (gps, accel, etc) without messing with the app programmers.

I do think we will learn for sure soon enough!
post #27 of 38
War of the Worlds


Quote:
Originally Posted by ronster View Post

Side note:

I think you meant to say...

They were on Earth the whole time

In reference to Planet of the Apes?
post #28 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

There are reasons for moving to better and newer components for cheaper devices. Economics of scale. I don't think that will happen, but that scenario should be considered, especially with mass produced electronics.

Possible, but I'd still think that it would be cheaper to have the older chip in lower end models. Plus that would be one less thing differentiating the two models.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

A "cheaper phone" is completely meaningless when the plans still require data.

But a cheaper phone is easier to sell unlocked for pay as you go. Even if the data isn't cheap, there are savings if the data isn't on a contract and you can use it as needed. And Apple has had a cheaper phone for a while now, this is just the next generation of it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I mean we literally don't even know if such a thing exists or is even planned by Apple in the first place yet it's talked about as if it's a real thing.

We have pictures of what seems to be such a thing. Of course we don't know for sure, but this is a rumor site so that's how it works here.

At this point, sure looks like there's a 4.1 budget phone (which they haven't kept all that secret, but not surprising since there's not much to keep secret) and probably a newly designed 5 (which I'm sure they've made every effort to keep secret).
post #29 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Verbal is Keyser Söze.

I really enjoyed that movie.
post #30 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

At this point, sure looks like there's a 4.1 budget phone (which they haven't kept all that secret, but not surprising since there's not much to keep secret) and probably a newly designed 5 (which I'm sure they've made every effort to keep secret).

Actually, this doesn't look like a budget handset at all. None of the components in these photos appear to be cheaper.

The most expensive components of the iPhone are the display/touchscreen panel and the silicon (SoC, RAM, NAND flash, cellular baseband processor).

The components in these pictures appear to be at least as good as what's in the iPhone 4. For Apple to come out with a budget handset, they would need to use an older, non-Retina display, and keep silicon costs in check (reducing the amount of NAND flash, maybe sticking with the A4 chip) as well as cutting corners on some of the other components (e.g., cheaper/smaller camera modules).

That does not appear to be happening in these photos.
post #31 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post

I really enjoyed that movie.

Me too. But it's one of those movies that i am not compelled to watch again. Regardless of the great acting.
post #32 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

Damn you Solipsism - six movies ruined!

Soylent Green is people!
Dil is a man.
Snape kills Dumbledore.
299 die.

I like where this is headed
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
Reply
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
Reply
post #33 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by regan View Post

Me too. But it's one of those movies that i am not compelled to watch again. Regardless of the great acting.

Yah, I bought it on DVD because I liked it a lot, watched it and then...never did again.

Then again, I've got more than one movie like that. Still, there's a collection of "comfort food" type movies I do rewatch a lot.
post #34 of 38
There's a helluva lot of hype growing for the iPhone 5, not the 4s. There was a giant article on the Yahoo homepage last week about it. I think it would be a really sour way to start off Tim Cook's stewardship @ Apple by making people wait 18 months for the new model, only to unveil an iPhone 4 with a plastic back and a slightly faster processor.

My hope is that there will be two models. A brand-spanking new iPhone 5 that can compete (within reason) with all the beefy Android handsets, and then a dirt-cheap 4s that my grandparents will buy.
post #35 of 38
[QUOTE=Santoanderson;1945186]There's a helluva lot of hype growing for the iPhone 5, not the 4s. There was a giant article on the Yahoo homepage last week about it. I think it would be a really sour way to start off Tim Cook's stewardship @ Apple by making people wait 18 months for the new model, only to unveil an iPhone 4 with a plastic back and a slightly faster processor.


I agree that this would be pretty brutal. There were also a few people who brought up the great point that they could offer the budget iphone with a down-clocked A5 in order to take advantage of economies of scale. I agree that this would be the best-case scenario for consumers. If economies of scale were so important in this area though, then why is the 3gs not offered with a down-clocked A4?

I also agree that these are just rhetorical questions that no one has a sure answer to, but will be answered in a few weeks. I'm only asking them because I find it interesting from a business standpoint. Maybe I'm actually missing those weekly case studies from school!

NAH.


As a parting shot, i figure i'd offer my guess as to what will actually happen...

1. Apple releases an iPhone 5 with new design, larger retina display, 8mp camera, and A5+1gb RAM. Priced at $299/$399 on contract for the 16gb & 32gb versions respectively.

2. Apple also releases an iPhone 4s with same design & camera, but with a retina display from the ipod touch, a down-clocked A5/over-clocked A4 to justify the "s", and 8gb of space only. Priced at $99 on contract.

3. 3gs retained as prepaid phone.


Anyway, thanks for the responses and observations. I appreciate it.
post #36 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoanderson View Post

There's a helluva lot of hype growing for the iPhone 5, not the 4s. There was a giant article on the Yahoo homepage last week about it.

So we know at least 9 people read it, then.
post #37 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by poiboy005 View Post

1. Apple releases an iPhone 5 with new design, larger retina display, 8mp camera, and A5+1gb RAM. Priced at $299/$399 on contract for the 16gb & 32gb versions respectively.

2. Apple also releases an iPhone 4s with same design & camera, but with a retina display from the ipod touch, a down-clocked A5/over-clocked A4 to justify the "s", and 8gb of space only. Priced at $99 on contract.

3. 3gs retained as prepaid phone.

You left out the $199 price point, and that ain't going to happen. You're probably right about the rest. Hopefully the $199 price will be filled by a 16GB iP5, but it's possible that it will be 32. There WILL be a $199 iPhone5 next month though.
post #38 of 38
Dr. Malcolm Crowe is dead the whole time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

Soylent Green is people!
Dil is a man.
Snape kills Dumbledore.
299 die.

I like where this is headed
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Purported iPhone 5 pics with A5 chip appear to actually be iPhone 4S