or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google launches Google Wallet service weeks ahead of iPhone 5 refresh
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Google launches Google Wallet service weeks ahead of iPhone 5 refresh

post #1 of 63
Thread Starter 
While some reports have suggested Apple could introduce support for NFC-based payments in a new iPhone model as early as this fall, rival Google on Monday launched its own NFC solution conceived initially for Sprint Android smartphones.

What is an NFC e-wallet?

NFC, or near field communication, is a wireless communication technology that operates over short distances and allows certain devices to interact with each other when being placed in close proximity from a few centimeters to a few meters.

A secure application stores credit card information so that a chip in the NFC-enabled smartphone can connect the device to an NFC reader in a store to complete a wireless and rapid exchange of payment information. The technology allows compatible smartphones to function as an efficient e-wallet simply by waving the phone over the reader to pay for a product or service.



Google Wallet

Google Wallet was first announced and demoed in May during the companys Google I/O event and is initially available to Sprint Nexus S 4G users through an over-the-air firmware update.

The Mountain View, Calif., company is working with Citi and Mastercard to help Android smartphone owners use their device as a payment method at stores that support the new technology. In addition to Citi Mastercard credit cards, customers will be able to use a Google Prepaid Card to pay for their purchases. Early adopters of the service will be awarded a $10 bonus after setting up a Google Prepaid Card in the Google Wallet application.

Google said it plans to further expand payment choices in the near future as Visa, Discover and American Express have made available their NFC specifications that could enable their cards to be added to future versions of Google Wallet.



Apple NFC plans and the iPhone

The launch of Google Wallet comes just weeks before Apple is expected to introduce its next-gen iPhone. Reports have suggested Apple could, as soon as next month, announce two distinct iPhone models: a cheaper iPhone 4S model, expected to be based on the current iPhone 4 design, and an all-new iPhone 5.

The latter model has been rumored on more than one occasion to make use of a NFC chip that would allow customers to use it as a virtual wallet. An earlier report claimed that Qualcomm would supply Apple with NFC chips for a future iPhone without specifying whether this year's iPhone 5 would include parts.

Apples interest in NFC technology and e-payment systems has been evidenced by several patent applications, job postings and even claims made by Deutsche Telekom execs.

Most recently, a New York Times report from last week on the imminent launch of the fifth-generation iPhone reiterated claims related to Apples own e-wallet plans.

When Apple does introduce a mobile-payment-ready iPhone, the company will immediately have an advantage over its competitors, including Google and Microsoft, which are trying to push payments on mobile devices too, author Nick Bilton wrote, though he was unsure whether the technology would arrive in the fifth- or sixth-generation iPhone.

One person familiar with Apples plans said the phones payment information would be tied to customers iTunes accounts, which would make it simple for customers to set up a payment account on the iPhone by simply logging into iTunes," he added.
post #2 of 63
I like it! The future is here!
post #3 of 63
Unlikely that a purchase at a store will be tied to an iTunes account. This is the future. Although Blue Ray has not made its way to Apple (most likely because its a sony thing) paying by mobile device will. I see Apple working hard to make sure it is part of the iPhone. It would make Apple look low tech to have Google introduce something that millions would use and Apple not getting on board. This is how Steve thinks.
An Apple man since 1977
Reply
An Apple man since 1977
Reply
post #4 of 63
I just can't see the word "Wallet" anywhere near "Android".
I've accomplished my childhood's dream: My job consists mainly of playing with toys all day long.
Reply
I've accomplished my childhood's dream: My job consists mainly of playing with toys all day long.
Reply
post #5 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranReloaded View Post

I just can't see the word "Wallet" anywhere near "Android".

It's "Google Wallet", not "Android Wallet". Pretty sure there'll be an iOS app from Google as well.
post #6 of 63
Why on earth would you need to still go through a checkout line? Why not scan (and pay for) each item as you put it into your cart? If someone wants to really bring the future closer, they will find a way that will allow us to pay for each item as we pick it up and put it into our cart, eliminating the need to go through and wait in checkout lines altogether. Doesn't this make sense? Or am I missing something here (do some of you actually like looking for the shortest line, and then still standing there and waiting to pay?)?

This seems to be the most innovative solution to me. Maybe I'm missing something.
post #7 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Guy View Post

Why on earth would you need to still go through a checkout line? Why not scan (and pay for) each item as you put it into your cart? If someone wants to really bring the future closer, they will find a way that will allow us to pay for each item as we pick it up and put it into our cart, eliminating the need to go through and wait in checkout lines altogether. Doesn't this make sense? Or am I missing something here (do some of you actually like looking for the shortest line, and then still standing there and waiting to pay?)?

This seems to be the most innovative solution to me. Maybe I'm missing something.

I can see wallet paving the way for that. Considering phones nowadays can scan barcodes.
post #8 of 63
"Google launches Google Wallet service weeks ahead of iPhone 5 refresh"

Nice headline to tie the iPhone in there somehow

While Google Wallet made the rounds on all the techblogs today... not many people know about it or care.

When the new iPhone is announced... it will be all over the nightly news and cause a total media frenzy!
post #9 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Guy View Post

Why on earth would you need to still go through a checkout line? Why not scan (and pay for) each item as you put it into your cart? If someone wants to really bring the future closer, they will find a way that will allow us to pay for each item as we pick it up and put it into our cart, eliminating the need to go through and wait in checkout lines altogether. Doesn't this make sense? Or am I missing something here (do some of you actually like looking for the shortest line, and then still standing there and waiting to pay?)?

This seems to be the most innovative solution to me. Maybe I'm missing something.

What if you put an item in your cart only to think about purchasing it? I don't know how many times my wife has put items in her cart only to return them to the store shelves before checking out, whether it's because she changed her mind or found a better deal on a similar item.

I can see having a check point where once you push the cart past a point, all the items are billed to your account, but not just as you put them in your cart. If you are instantly billed, but then have to wait on a refund, one trip to the store with an indecisive person could tie up your bank account for weeks waiting on refunds!
post #10 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Ferrari View Post

What if you put an item in your cart only to think about purchasing it? I don't know how many times my wife has put items in her cart only to return them to the store shelves before checking out, whether it's because she changed her mind or found a better deal on a similar item.

I can see having a check point where once you push the cart past a point, all the items are billed to your account, but not just as you put them in your cart. If you are instantly billed, but then have to wait on a refund, one trip to the store with an indecisive person could tie up your bank account for weeks waiting on refunds!

As I am describing it, you still would have to manually scan each item to pay for it. You would not be billed for simply putting something in your cart.
post #11 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Guy View Post

As I am describing it, you still would have to manually scan each item to pay for it. You would not be billed for simply putting something in your cart.

If you're not billed by putting it in your cart, couldn't you leave without paying for some items?
post #12 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...weeks ahead of iPhone 5 refresh

Here we have more "evidence" that Apple might possibly be releasing a new iPhone model, perhaps as soon as weeks from now.
post #13 of 63
I'm guessing the rogue element of developers on the Andriod platform are licking their chops...
post #14 of 63
Nothing new.

Its been in the UK for a while now. Its called "Contact-less Payment" over here and its only available with cards issued by Barclays. A hand full of handsets on the Orange network support it too but thats about it.

So when is America getting Chip and Pin?

... at night.

Reply

... at night.

Reply
post #15 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

It's "Google Wallet", not "Android Wallet". Pretty sure there'll be an iOS app from Google as well.

I guess this is for all those people who think that Google doesn't have enough of their personal information already.....
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #16 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltcompuser View Post

If you're not billed by putting it in your cart, couldn't you leave without paying for some items?

There would need to be some kind of security measure where once that bar code is scanned (and/or maybe a serial number or something similar), it would disable and allow you to leave the store with said item. If not scanned, the security measure is still active and should warn you once you pass a certain checkpoint in the store that it hasn't yet been paid for.
post #17 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

There would need to be some kind of security measure where once that bar code is scanned (and/or maybe a serial number or something similar), it would disable and allow you to leave the store with said item. If not scanned, the security measure is still active and should warn you once you pass a certain checkpoint in the store that it hasn't yet been paid for.

That is not how these systems work. You goto the checkout at the supermarket and then place your phone or contacts card over the correctly equipped card reader, rather than inserting it (for chip and pin) or swiping it (for mag strip cards).

If google do actually use a "scan per barcode" system then... really, sense? where? can I have some sense?

... at night.

Reply

... at night.

Reply
post #18 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

It's "Google Wallet", not "Android Wallet". Pretty sure there'll be an iOS app from Google as well.

I know, I know. Still, Google releasing an obviously paid service, it's shocking...
I've accomplished my childhood's dream: My job consists mainly of playing with toys all day long.
Reply
I've accomplished my childhood's dream: My job consists mainly of playing with toys all day long.
Reply
post #19 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Guy View Post

As I am describing it, you still would have to manually scan each item to pay for it. You would not be billed for simply putting something in your cart.

There's some American systems where you carry around a small terminal to scan your own basket, but only pay at the end. It would be nice if we could use our own phones for that purpose.

Often these are linked to your identity in case you're substituting cheaper items! And they can compare the weight of the shopping bags with the average weight of the products you were supposed to have scanned.
post #20 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post

So when is America getting Chip and Pin?

Don't bring up that one...... embarrassing, really.
post #21 of 63
deleted
post #22 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post

That is not how these systems work. You goto the checkout at the supermarket and then place your phone or contacts card over the correctly equipped card reader, rather than inserting it (for chip and pin) or swiping it (for mag strip cards).

If google do actually use a "scan per barcode" system then... really, sense? where? can I have some sense?

I understand completely how this system works, so there's no need to mock. I have been researching it ever since it was announced way back when. I was simply responding to the theoretical situation and system that some on here have been discussing as far as how cool it would be to be able to buy things as you pick them up. Read a little, and figure out what the context is of a statement, especially since I directly responded to somebody instead of simply posting a random comment.
post #23 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Guy View Post

As I am describing it, you still would have to manually scan each item to pay for it. You would not be billed for simply putting something in your cart.

Well I can think of a few reasons why this is not practical. For starters, the device would need to interact with another piece of electronic hardware. In your example, where is the scanner? Where is the other device? Is your shopping cart a $10,000 wireless computer that you intend to wheel out to the parking lot. How about those $10,000 wireless hand baskets?

Second, there are certain items that are restricted such as alcohol and cigarettes which need age verification. An electronic terminal cannot do that. You need real people in the loop anyway.

Honestly sometimes people think that technology is a solution to everything. We hear all the time that Apple should make an all robot assembly plant in the US, but the truth is it is considerably more efficient to use actual humans to execute complicated tasks.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #24 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Well I can think of a few reasons why this is not practical. For starters, the device would need to interact with another piece of electronic hardware. In your example, where is the scanner? Where is the other device? Is your shopping cart a $10,000 wireless computer that you intend to wheel out to the parking lot. How about those $10,000 wireless hand baskets?

Second, there are certain items that are restricted such as alcohol and cigarettes which need age verification. An electronic terminal cannot do that. You need real people in the loop anyway.

Honestly sometimes people think that technology is a solution to everything. We hear all the time that Apple should make an all robot assembly plant in the US, but the truth is it is considerably more efficient to use actual humans to execute complicated tasks.

Actually, this is a "problem" that technology could solve very easily, and it doesn't even require that smartphones support it. If you have RFID chips embedded in everything (and they are dirt cheap) and some sort of "smart card" (or smart phone) that securely identifies you, all you need is a chute to walk through on your way to the parking lot for billing. Alcohol and cigarettes can even be self-serve with your card or phone identifying you as of legal age.
post #25 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Guy View Post

Why on earth would you need to still go through a checkout line? Why not scan (and pay for) each item as you put it into your cart? If someone wants to really bring the future closer, they will find a way that will allow us to pay for each item as we pick it up and put it into our cart, eliminating the need to go through and wait in checkout lines altogether. Doesn't this make sense? Or am I missing something here (do some of you actually like looking for the shortest line, and then still standing there and waiting to pay?)?

This seems to be the most innovative solution to me. Maybe I'm missing something.

Considering that Android users don't like to pay for things, you need to make sure they really scanned.
post #26 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Actually, this is a "problem" that technology could solve very easily, and it doesn't even require that smartphones support it. If you have RFID chips embedded in everything (and they are dirt cheap) and some sort of "smart card" (or smart phone) that securely identifies you, all you need is a chute to walk through on your way to the parking lot for billing. Alcohol and cigarettes can even be self-serve with your card or phone identifying you as of legal age.

They pretty much do that already. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contactless_payment
One or two new bits of software and they're there.

... at night.

Reply

... at night.

Reply
post #27 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Considering that Android users don't like to pay for things, you need to make sure they really scanned.

What has Android to do with the discussion? Or did you just feel like making a baseless generalization out of topic?
post #28 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

What has Android to do with the discussion? Or did you just feel like making a baseless generalization out of topic?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joke

... at night.

Reply

... at night.

Reply
post #29 of 63
post #30 of 63
Quote:

Don't get sour at me because you didn't see the tongue in cheek joke they were making.

... at night.

Reply

... at night.

Reply
post #31 of 63
Perhaps I am an outlier but I have a hard time trusting Google with that much of my information. I don't have the same uneasiness about Apple but Google scares me a bit more. Combined with all the other ways that Google tauches our lives this would be very powerful information they hold.

Apple seems to have a set direction and a set corporate plan to get there. Google is a little more free and is willing to "try anything" to see if it makes them money. That creativity means my info could come into play in ways we can't yet imagine.

I'm probably just Google-paranoid though.
~Tokolosh
Reply
~Tokolosh
Reply
post #32 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Actually, this is a "problem" that technology could solve very easily, and it doesn't even require that smartphones support it. If you have RFID chips embedded in everything (and they are dirt cheap) and some sort of "smart card" (or smart phone) that securely identifies you, all you need is a chute to walk through on your way to the parking lot for billing. Alcohol and cigarettes can even be self-serve with your card or phone identifying you as of legal age.


All nice in theory however it is never that simple. Why do you think they have super sensitive scales and human monitors in the self checkout? To keep people from stealing. RFID works great if you have a package to put it in, but if it is on the outside like on a head of lettuce, people are going to tear it off and try to walk out of the store without paying.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #33 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

All nice in theory however it is never that simple. Why do you think they have super sensitive scales and human monitors in the self checkout? To keep people from stealing. RFID works great if you have a package to put it in, but if it is on the outside like on a head of lettuce, people are going to tear it off and try to walk out of the store without paying.

None of these things involve insurmountable hurdles. The technology is there to make it happen and just because it's not utterly trivial to implement doesn't mean it can't or won't work. That's what innovation is all about, solving these kinds of problems, and they will be solved.
post #34 of 63
Another example of rushing a technology to market before it's ready. This wallet is only available to use within a very limited scope of users and merchants. At this point, it's a gimmick. But that's the way Apple's competition works. They know they can't best Apple with fit and finish, so they go for the only thing that's left--being first.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
post #35 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

All nice in theory however it is never that simple. Why do you think they have super sensitive scales and human monitors in the self checkout? To keep people from stealing. RFID works great if you have a package to put it in, but if it is on the outside like on a head of lettuce, people are going to tear it off and try to walk out of the store without paying.

Agree. RFID is great for packages and sorting and tracking... but paying... hmmm possible in department stores or similar? but grocery... maybe. I would think I would still like to see a list that says... is this what you want, what card do you want it on etc. If so, that gets to below...

Back to NFC...

Im not sure of the benefit overall of NFC...if I have to carry a wallet with some cash and id anyways, whats a credit card or two also?

Now it would be nice to have a universal card... say my drivers license has my credit card info, so I only bring out one card... and select which card I want it charged to when I swipe. Kind of reverse how it is now... just a 2 second thought, not that its worth anything... but if someone patents it, I have a record.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Reply
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Reply
post #36 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

None of these things involve insurmountable hurdles. The technology is there to make it happen and just because it's not utterly trivial to implement doesn't mean it can't or won't work. That's what innovation is all about, solving these kinds of problems, and they will be solved.

Not sure. It might be a solution looking for a problem.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #37 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltcompuser View Post

If you're not billed by putting it in your cart, couldn't you leave without paying for some items?

Yes - its called shoplifting and you have been able to do that for years. Pretty much for always, come to think of it
I remember when the self-scan systems started appearing in European supermarkets a decade or so ago research showed that shoplifting actually decreased. There was a system of spot checks. If you were found to have added items you would be re-scanned more frequently (major drag).
post #38 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Another example of rushing a technology to market before it's ready. This wallet is only available to use within a very limited scope of users and merchants. At this point, it's a gimmick. But that's the way Apple's competition works. They know they can't best Apple with fit and finish, so they go for the only thing that's left--being first.

Definitely a work in progress. Mobile Payments have been around for a very long time, now. RFID is still some way off. Here's a nice overview....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_payment
post #39 of 63
This provides too much detailed information to Google on my buying habits, which is likely their motivation for doing this. Apple would be safer.
post #40 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

Agree. RFID is great for packages and sorting and tracking... but paying... hmmm possible in department stores or similar? but grocery... maybe. I would think I would still like to see a list that says... is this what you want, what card do you want it on etc. If so, that gets to below...

Back to NFC...

Im not sure of the benefit overall of NFC...if I have to carry a wallet with some cash and id anyways, whats a credit card or two also?

Now it would be nice to have a universal card... say my drivers license has my credit card info, so I only bring out one card... and select which card I want it charged to when I swipe. Kind of reverse how it is now... just a 2 second thought, not that its worth anything... but if someone patents it, I have a record.

Not sure but isn't NFC using RFID? The way some people rave about its benefits they would probably volunteer to have one implanted in their forehead just because it is high-tech.

http://creativity-online.com/work/wa...ead-scan/12366

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google launches Google Wallet service weeks ahead of iPhone 5 refresh