or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google launches Google Wallet service weeks ahead of iPhone 5 refresh
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Google launches Google Wallet service weeks ahead of iPhone 5 refresh - Page 2

post #41 of 63
I really don't care if it's a Google or Apple e-wallet as long as they support all the major credit cards, loyalty cards , membership cards and point of sale systems.

Apple can try and set it up so that transactions go through iTunes accounts but I would think that this might just strike most people as strange. Is it just me or isn't there something strange about using an account that you use to pay for songs to now for pay for dinner? Not just that, but this is an extra layer on top of my credit card.

And then there's the question of how an iTunes wallet will work there's no infrastructure to support it. Google is leveraging existing Paypass and Paywave infrastructure to support its mobile wallet. I hope Apple goes this route rather than some strange iTunes wallet solution.
post #42 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranReloaded View Post

I just can't see the word "Wallet" anywhere near "Android".


It's more secure than a physical wallet. If you lose the phone you can remote wipe it. And the NFC element only transmits when the app is running (unlike your Paypass Mastercard which will give up info when interrogated). The app requires a password, unlike your NFC card. And the payment details are stored on the NXP chip (the "Secure Element") which self-destructs if tampered with.

I'd say that's pretty secure, Android or not (despite whatever FUD you want to believe about the OS).
post #43 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I guess this is for all those people who think that Google doesn't have enough of their personal information already.....

My grocery store's loyalty card lets my grocery store know when and where I shop. It knows what products I buy, the frequency with which I buy them, my brand preferences, and the price points at which I will pay for different brands. That's powerful.

And Google will come nowhere close to getting as much info as that. They will get the same information my credit card company gets today: where I shop, when I shop and how much I spend. That may be powerful information, but it's nowhere close to what my grocery store knows about me....or for that matter my public library, which really knows my deepests interests from the books and videos I check out.
post #44 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I guess this is for all those people who think that Google doesn't have enough of their personal information already.....

I concur. I have an Android. But I do NOT want this. I have a feeling this won't be very popular at all. It's not like a credit card takes up much space.
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
Reply
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
Reply
post #45 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

I concur. I have an Android. But I do NOT want this. I have a feeling this won't be very popular at all. It's not like a credit card takes up much space.

Can you please explain why you consider this bad on Android? Especially given that the secure element which holds your card information is made by NXP Semiconductors, one of the world's most reliable companies for this kind of tech. And the layers of protection built in here actually make it more secure than your actual physical credit card.

Next, this is just a service and an app, Google is not restricting it just to Android. You can bet that when an iPhone launches with NFC capbilities, Google will have GW on iOS in weeks.

And why do you think this will not be popular? I'm genuinely curious. I hate all that I have to deal with these days (WRT shopping). I have two wallets. One that has my ID cards, health card and debit and credit cards. And another one (that's fatter) that has all my store loyalty cards. It's not the credit card that takes up space (I only have two). It's everything else. The loyalty cards. The coupons that you have to get from your junk mail and remember when you go to the store. Imagine move all that to one app on your phone. And no more remembering the loyalty card or the coupons (which can now be QR codes on the flyer or in the store that you can scan).

And then speeding things up at checkout. First you scan your coupons, then your loyalty card, then you credit card. What if you could do all that in one swipe? An electronic wallet would help you do that. So with all that, I fail to see why this won't be popular.

And nobody is suggesting Google will be the only one in this space. There's ISIS from the carriers. Visa is launching its own mobile wallet. And Apple will probably offer its own solution. It shouldn't matter which one you use as long as it dramatically improves the shopping experience for the user.
post #46 of 63
The Hacker's Mecka...
post #47 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

My grocery store's loyalty card lets my grocery store know when and where I shop. It knows what products I buy, the frequency with which I buy them, my brand preferences, and the price points at which I will pay for different brands. That's powerful.

And Google will come nowhere close to getting as much info as that. They will get the same information my credit card company gets today: where I shop, when I shop and how much I spend. That may be powerful information, but it's nowhere close to what my grocery store knows about me....or for that matter my public library, which really knows my deepests interests from the books and videos I check out.

Oh, good lord. You really don't understand that Google is going to have more access to your information than your local grocery store?

The grocery store knows what groceries you buy - but only at that store.

If you use this service, Google knows:
- The groceries you buy - at ALL stores
- The other products you buy - at ALL stores
- Access to your credit information
- Access to your browsing history
- Access to your search history
and much, much more

Google knows so much more about you than your local grocery store that I really can't believe you're even trying to compare them.

Oh, and to top it all off, if your grocery card gets hacked, the worst that could happen is someone could learn that you like split pea soup. If the Google wallet gets hacked, your bank account could be drained.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #48 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

If you use this service, Google knows:
- The groceries you buy - at ALL stores
- The other products you buy - at ALL stores
- Access to your credit information
- Access to your browsing history
- Access to your search history
and much, much more

Google sees when you're sleeping.
Google knows when you're awake.
Google knows if you've been bad or good.
So be good for goodness sake!
And don't forget to wear your tin foil hat!


Fast-forward... "Apple Announces NFC wallet"... Oh it is a miracle I don't need to carry credits cards and loyalty cards; this is so innovative! I love it!

Many countries have already embraced NFC technology and wallets and have been using it for awhile. Japan has had it for some time now.

http://www.nfcworld.com/list-of-nfc-...und-the-world/
post #49 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratero View Post

Google sees when you're sleeping.
Google knows when you're awake.
Google knows if you've been bad or good.
So be good for goodness sake!
And don't forget to wear your tin foil hat!

Fast-forward... "Apple Announces NFC wallet"... Oh it is a miracle I don't need to carry credits cards and loyalty cards; this is so innovative! I love it!

Except that Google is known to be an advertising company, and the whole point of Android is so that they can data mine away every last detail of your life. Apple, on the other hand, isn't in the advertising business (and even with iAds, isn't doing targeted advertising) so they don't have as much reason to intrude on your privacy willy-nilly. And well, once Google has targeted advertising, that means advertisers can sell that data to other people. And the genie's out of the bottle. But yes, you're right, Google and Apple being treated differently is totally double standards when we know they act differently

In case if you were being sarcastic like me, I apologize
post #50 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartfat View Post

Except that Google is known to be an advertising company, and the whole point of Android is so that they can data mine away every last detail of your life. Apple, on the other hand, isn't in the advertising business (and even with iAds, isn't doing targeted advertising) so they don't have as much reason to intrude on your privacy willy-nilly. And well, once Google has targeted advertising, that means advertisers can sell that data to other people. And the genie's out of the bottle. But yes, you're right, Google and Apple being treated differently is totally double standards when we know they act differently

In case if you were being sarcastic like me, I apologize

If you think Apple isn't mining your data too, you've got your head in the sand. Actually read their privacy disclaimer, then compare it to Google's. They both know a lot more about us than you could possibly imagine IMO.

Apple has the right to share that personal and/or non-personal data they've gathered on you with anyone they deem important for marketing on their behalf or that of it's partners, credit investigations, advertising based on your personal profile, conducting customer research, managing and enhancing your personal/non-personal information, or other assorted activities and programs. Unless you proactively opt out Apple is deemed to have permission for gathering and sharing.

How does that differ from Google, other than Google requires your express permission for some of these activities (opt-in) while Apple requires that you notify them that you don't wish to be included (opt-out)? Apparently knowing all about you is important to both of them, and Apple is just as secretive if not more so.

Is there any evidence that either one has ever done (or will do) anything nefarious with the data they've mined about you or anyone else?
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #51 of 63
I notice a lot of people are posting that they are afraid of Google selling their personal information. First of all you must realize that google sells your eyes. Google does infact use your personal information to link you to advertisements that have some relevance to you. This allows you to see adds that you care about and them to connect their clients to customers whom are more likely to click on the link. Believe it or not other companies do on a smaller scale or just in house. One of which is Amazon. If you log into your amazon account and browse around kitchen appliances, then several days latter you will receive an email about the deals and bargains they have on kitchen appliances. Another Company that does this monitors the music that you purchase for them so that they can give you relevant related music. They will also if you allow them scan your music to make relevant offerings about new music to you. Some call it GENIUS. I wonder what company is this....
post #52 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

... How does that differ from Google, other than Google requires your express permission for some of these activities (opt-in) while Apple requires that you notify them that you don't wish to be included (opt-out)? Apparently knowing all about you is important to both of them, and Apple is just as secretive if not more so.

Is there any evidence that either one has ever done (or will do) anything nefarious with the data they've mined about you or anyone else?

Yes, there is plenty of evidence that you should not trust Google with your personal information. They've shown time and time again they have no respect for the law, no respect for other people's property and no qualms about saying one thing and doing another, they've shown that they are lying whores who will do anything for a buck. Giving your personal information to Google is like giving it to a con man, swindler, thief.
post #53 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Yes, there is plenty of evidence that you should not trust Google with your personal information. They've shown time and time again they have no respect for the law, no respect for other people's property and no qualms about saying one thing and doing another, they've shown that they are lying whores who will do anything for a buck. Giving your personal information to Google is like giving it to a con man, swindler, thief.

Wow, so much hyperbole in a single post! Do you have any examples of how Google has misused the gathered personal/non-personal data?
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #54 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Wow, so much hyperbole in a single post! Do you have any examples of how Google has misused the gathered personal/non-personal data?

We don't really need examples to contradict your assertion. You claimed Google was just as worthy of trust as Apple. However, their corporate character of lying, cheating and stealing indicates that they are not to be trusted. Trust is about accepting without evidence. There can be no trust of Google for anything.
post #55 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

We don't really need examples to contradict your assertion. You claimed Google was just as worthy of trust as Apple. However, their corporate character of lying, cheating and stealing indicates that they are not to be trusted. Trust is about accepting without evidence. There can be no trust of Google for anything.

I claimed no such thing. What I did suggest is that both Apple and Google want your personal/non-personal data, both consider it extremely important, and both have several ways of getting it. Both privacy policies are similar, and both are secretive about what they know about you. But I've never suggested that either one is making improper use of what they know.

So you have no examples of how Google has misused anyone's personal data? By definition that makes your post FUD.
http://searchcio-midmarket.techtarge...definition/FUD

. . . and for further reading
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear,_u...inty_and_doubt
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #56 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I claimed no such thing. What I did suggest is that both Apple and Google want your personal/non-personal data, both consider it extremely important, and both have several ways of getting it. Both privacy policies are similar, and both are secretive about what they know about you. But I've never suggested that either one is making improper use of what they know.

So you have no examples of how Google has misused anyone's personal data? By definition that makes your post FUD.
http://searchcio-midmarket.techtarge...definition/FUD

. . . and for further reading
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear,_u...inty_and_doubt

In discussing Apple's practices, you wrote,

Quote:
How does that differ from Google ...?

I told you how it differs from Google -- i.e., Google can't be trusted because they are liars, cheaters and thieves. You're simply being dishonest about what you said, not surprisingly.

So, once again, I don't need to show evidence that Google has "misused anyone's personal data". I've shown how they differ from Apple, which is all that is required to disprove your assertions.

The bottom line is that Google can't be trusted because they are a fundamentally dishonest company, whereas, Apple can be because they are not fundamentally dishonest.

QED, chump.
post #57 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

In discussing Apple's practices, you wrote,



I told you how it differs from Google -- i.e., Google can't be trusted because they are liars, cheaters and thieves. You're simply being dishonest about what you said, not surprisingly.

So, once again, I don't need to show evidence that Google has "misused anyone's personal data". I've shown how they differ from Apple, which is all that is required to disprove your assertions.

The bottom line is that Google can't be trusted because they are a fundamentally dishonest company, whereas, Apple can be because they are not fundamentally dishonest.

QED, chump.

Still looks like hyperbole and FUD. Evidence? Of course you don't need any, what was I thinking?

But thanks.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #58 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Still looks like hyperbole and FUD. Evidence? Of course you don't need any, what was I thinking?

But thanks.

Hahaha, didn't earn your pay today, did you?

Nice try to attempt to make it about something it wasn't. Too bad it didn't work out for you.
post #59 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Hahaha, didn't earn your pay today, did you?

Nice try to attempt to make it about something it wasn't. Too bad it didn't work out for you.

Are you perhaps associated with Facebook or their PR firm? This is just the type of FUD they were paying to have spread earlier this year. Do you get any income or other benefits from Facebook, directly or indirectly? Honest answer for an honest question. If yes, no big deal, at least it's disclosure of your interests. If you say no, that's good enough for me. It's just that some of your repeated points raise a red-flag.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #60 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Are you perhaps associated with Facebook or their PR firm? This is just the type of FUD they were paying to have spread earlier this year. Do you get any income or other benefits from Facebook, directly or indirectly? Honest answer for an honest question. If yes, no big deal, at least it's disclosure of your interests. If you say no, that's good enough for me. It's just that some of your repeated points raise a red-flag.

Still trying the "FUD" angle? It isn't FUD if it's true, which it is. From your perspective, these are inconvenient facts that you'd like to dismiss, but can't. Google has shown it's true character through it's actions and only a fool would trust them with anything.

As for Facebook, they are nearly as big a problem for privacy as Google, but with one big difference: they have to entice you to hand information over, but you can simply not take the bait. With Google's information dragnet cast over the web, it's nearly impossible to avoid falling into their maw. But, both companies could use a more than a little legislative restraint applied to them.

Would it affect Apple too? Yes, but it wouldn't have any significant impact on their business since, unlike Google and Facebook, they aren't in the business of dealing in personal information, but making the best computers and operating systems on the planet, and, in case you haven't noticed, respect for privacy is becoming a selling point for the devices and services they offer.

That's why, unlike the law breaking low life's at Google, or simply low lifes at Facebook, Apple can be trusted.
post #61 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Still trying the "FUD" angle? It isn't FUD if it's true, which it is. From your perspective, these are inconvenient facts that you'd like to dismiss, but can't. Google has shown it's true character through it's actions and only a fool would trust them with anything. . . .

You completely avoided an answer to the question I asked. Do you have an association with Facebook?
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #62 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

You completely avoided an answer to the question I asked. Do you have an association with Facebook?

Clearly, from my response, which you avoided quoting, I don't. Which isn't the same at all as "completely aboiding", is it? Habitual misrepresentation?

However, I'll happily confirm that I don't have any "association" with any of the companies I commented on, other than being an Apple customer.

Bad day at the office for you yesterday, wasn't it?

But, we don't want to stray to far from the topic at hand, which is that Google in fact is evil, a bunch of law breaking technology thugs who will steal anything that isn't nailed down and no one should trust them with anything, especially personal information or money.
post #63 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Clearly, from my response, which you avoided quoting, I don't. Which isn't the same at all as "completely aboiding", is it? Habitual misrepresentation?

However, I'll happily confirm that I don't have any "association" with any of the companies I commented on, other than being an Apple customer.

Fair enough. You could have said yes or no to begin with, but I believe you.

On to better things.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google launches Google Wallet service weeks ahead of iPhone 5 refresh