or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › 200 years from now.

200 years from now.

post #1 of 62
Where will things be?

Where would you like things to be?

What avenues are open now to make things more like how you'd like them to be in 200 years?
"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
post #2 of 62
Almost 50% of Americans think there won't be a "200 years from now." Some of them are running for office--pretty much exclusively in the Republican party. Now that's fucking scary.

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #3 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Almost 50% of Americans think there won't be a "200 years from now." Some of them are running for office--pretty much exclusively in the Republican party. Now that's fucking scary.

It is.
post #4 of 62
Sorry to be mundane, but what got me thinking about this "future" was an article I read about Pods at, I think Heathrow, airport in the UK, that are transporting people. I'll add a link later.

I thought, well they could be a good relatively independent form of transport for a lot of people, saving money and being green at the same time, if they, or something similar, could be implemented sufficiently.

Link- http://www.allpics4u.com/technology/...eneration.html

Maybe Pods of different sizes too, so that some can take just you, to your personal destination, instead of having a set route.

http://www.aplaceinthesun.com/news/f...port-pods.aspx
post #5 of 62
Quote:

OK, I'll give you props on that one.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #6 of 62
Quote:

Yeah, isn't is funny how global warming is "scaremongering" in the context of global eradication?
post #7 of 62
200 years from now people will be blaiming the GOP and other conservative factions for ignoring the obvious. They will also be blaming some of the Democrats for not being stronger to counteract them.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #8 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

200 years from now people will be blaiming the GOP and other conservative factions for ignoring the obvious. They will also be blaming some of the Democrats for not being stronger to counteract them.

Get real. They're not even blaming Bush after what he did.
post #9 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Perhaps because he didn't do it by himself?... he had the willing cooperation of the house and senate ... from ALL parties !!!
If anyone cared to publicly "blame" someone, they'd likely have to include themselves in the ranks of ner-do-well's (even the average citizens... they're the ones who keep re-electing the assholes!.).
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
post #10 of 62
Quote:

I'll bite. What did he do?
post #11 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Case, point.
post #12 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

Where will things be?

No idea.

Quote:

Where would you like things to be?

Unlimited clean energy, faster-than-light travel, colonisation on Mars, flying cars, finding the fountain of youth, virtually zero poverty and the Earth gradually restored to pre-industrial times.

Quote:

What avenues are open now to make things more like how you'd like them to be in 200 years?

Insanity. Or, wiping out at least 3/4 of the human population. Or alien intervention. Or, some sort of mass consciousness shift, as though the Hand of God literally touched everyone on the shoulder and said, "Dude, we need to talk".
post #13 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Unlimited clean energy, faster-than-light travel, colonisation on Mars, flying cars, finding the fountain of youth, virtually zero poverty and the Earth gradually restored to pre-industrial times.

I think it's entirely possible we will have the first, and we'll be pioneering the third by that time.
post #14 of 62
Quote:

... and the Earth gradually restored to pre-industrial times.

You do realize that would mean NO posting on AppleInsider... right ? ... no computer's at all... no iPhones or iPads...
Traveling behind a horse's ass?... have you ever spent any time there?... nice smell!
Oh!... indoor plumbing? (among other residential niceties)... say goodbye to that!
post #15 of 62
200 years from now we will have passed just the right set of laws such that everyone is self motivated individual and though government provides for all needs these individuals will be happy productive members of society filling every need and wanting for nothing.
post #16 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

You do realize that would mean NO posting on AppleInsider... right ? ... no computer's at all... no iPhones or iPads...
Traveling behind a horse's ass?... have you ever spent any time there?... nice smell!
Oh!... indoor plumbing? (among other residential niceties)... say goodbye to that!

Sometimes I think the return to a time before computers would not be such a bad thing.

Traveling behind a horse smells better than traveling behind a poorly tuned vehicle or a large diesel.

Indoor plumbing is a concept that does not require the industrial revolution. Just the common sense to make it happen. The concept is known, it would easily continue to exist.

All that to say, I think parts would be nice, other parts would be less nice. Travel to see far-off relatives or locations would be unacceptably hindered. Time to receive emergency services would be increased greatly. But, the return to community would be very strong, independence at any cost would likely be decreased as it would not be as possible as it is now.

Positives and negatives abound.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
post #17 of 62
Quote:

...The Earth gradually restored to pre-industrial times.

Quote:

You do realize that would mean NO posting on AppleInsider... right ? ... no computer's at all... no iPhones or iPads... Traveling behind a horse's ass?... have you ever spent any time there?... nice smell! Oh!... indoor plumbing? (among other residential niceties)... say goodbye to that!

I meant in terms of the environment and ecosystem. Reforestation, repopulation of fisheries, reduction in atmospheric carbon, restoration of biodiversity etc.

Of course I don't mean giving up technology, because otherwise how would we fulfil that other stuff I wanted, like unlimited clean energy, flying cars, mars colonisation, space-time warping, teleportation, fountain of youth, etc.
post #18 of 62
Oh for the Energy part I'm not just talking everyone using super-efficient solar... That would be great for regular use... But I'm also talking some next-gen awesome clean unlimited energy that would make sending tonnes of payload to orbit as easy as driving to the grocery... Which would be even easier once the space elevator is built as well, of course.

But the next-gen energy thing would probably be required anyway for space-time warping, flying cars, colonisation of Mars, and travel to our nearest stars in months not lifetimes.

I've always classified it as, we've had our IT revolution, next we need a real energy revolution... Then the biology revolution. IT is needed first to be able to process and communicate amounts of data never thought possible, facilitating the energy and biology revolution.

Star Trek always threw out the line "Vulcan children play with toys more advanced than [insert great 22nd century human invention]". It always got me thinking... What toys would these be like? Then today seeing a kid operate an iPhone and apps, my childhood with Lego and Transformers does seem primitive (though it was possibly(?) more imaginative).

I learnt 10 PRINT "Hello" before I was 12, now it's NSObject something something for the children with access to devices insanely more powerful than what I had... For those kids with enough opportunity and privilege and/or luck/ blessings. (Sadly in my own country I still see kids sitting at the very same wooden tables and chairs of my city elementary school... The only difference now is the blackboard is now a whiteboard... And the teachers mostly wear the hijab now, while my teacher used to have a sporty classic coupe).

But remember... It's all not real anyway. We're all just leaves swirling in a quantum wind.
post #19 of 62
Quote:

Get real yourself. Hind sight is often golden. Look at the way they view George Washington or even JFK now days. Yes they did some good things but the stuff that people refused to look at during their time seems to always come out after they're gone and times have changed. And the way they are acting now there will be plenty of material. Also a lot of what they have done in this time will still be having an effect then.
post #20 of 62
Quote:

People with selective memory loss are exceptions.
post #21 of 62
I just hope they are a little kind to our memory and the type of stupidity we had to put up with. As to what things will be like I really don't see a " Road Warrior " type future. We will either learn to deal with our problems ( man made and otherwise ) or perish. We will probably have a world government by then. There will probably be seperate countries and they will still have their individual cultures but we will be one world. Will the center be in the U.S.? that's anyone's guess because it would depend on a lot of factors. But it wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't.
post #22 of 62
Quote:

Get real yourself. Hind sight is often golden. Look at the way they view George Washington or even JFK now days. Yes they did some good things but the stuff that people refused to look at during their time seems to always come out after they're gone and times have changed. And the way they are acting now there will be plenty of material. Also a lot of what they have done in this time will still be having an effect then.

Yes, look at how they are viewed. Generally positive impressions with a few attempting to tear them down due to imperfections or negative aspects of their personalities. However, I would not put George Washington and JFK in the same class. JFK was shot and killed and so he got the benefit of a society that wanted to believe the best about a person who had passed in an untimely manner. He was not a horrible person overall, but he was not the saint that people made him out to be. George, also not perfect, was not anywhere near the level of JFKs imperfections. Most recent presidents have not risen to the level of those that preceded them by more than 50 years. There have been ups and downs, but overall it has been a case of less than what one would hope for.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #23 of 62
Earth in 200 years time?

Probably somewhat of a hybrid of the world depicted in the movie "Blade Runner", based on the scifi classic "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?", Orwell's 1984, and Aldous Huxley's "Brave New World"....except far more extreme... the dystopia of one's worst nightmare....

Re. human society:

For decades, the law of the jungle re. politics has been pursued to its ultimate conclusion, via a global plutocratic mafiocracy. A rigid global caste system has resulted, in which a tiny minority of utterly privileged élites live in absolute opulence and luxury, in indoor air conditioned cities, surrounded by rings of tight security, while most of the rest of humanity is subjugated under total surveillance and oppression via the heavy manners of the hi tech military police of the global dictatorship.... sort of like the Schutzstaffel on steroids. Work, for those lucky enough to have a paid job, is geared towards maintaining, and providing services for the very wealthy minority, and much of the work being forced labor, indoor agriculture, manufacturing, construction, transport, infrastructure, etc etc etc., with an intermediate level of service providers who have a relatively decent existence (health care, police, security, catering, recreation, entertainment etc etc etc etc) who interface directly with the élites. Competition for the relatively few jobs is intense. Global population has reached some 20 billion and has been stable for some decades, on account on the average lifespan for ordinary people being less than 45 years, while pollution and radiation has resulted in disease and widespread infertility. Most people exist in abject poverty and squalor, living outside of the "carefully climate controlled and air quality regulated indoor biospheres", fighting amongst themselves for a meager existence. All media is censored and sanitized. Crime runs rampant, but is barely policed except when directed against the élites. Drug addiction, alcoholism and violence have reached pandemic proportions, as has cancer and a whole new batch of brand new diseases. Most people have no access to formal education, health care, and a large percentage are unemployed. Those in these lowest ranks of society who try to organize for a better existence are systematically targeted by the security police.

Re. geography and climate:

The sea level has risen some 20-30 feet globally, flooding most of Earth's coastal cities. The air quality is barely fit for human existence outside of the "indoor cities", and the oceans are severely polluted. Large areas have been polluted with radioactivity from a couple of world wars in which atomic bombs were used. The average global temperature has risen some 10-15ºF from where it is now. Tropical cyclones are more frequent and severe; hurricane and typhoon seasons are now almost year round.

Yikes, this is depressing! But is not this the way we are going right now, albeit an ersatz version compared to the the grim picture I have painted? Yes, this is fantasy, but if we continue the way we are, this is how we may easily end up in 200 years. What is to stop it? Perhaps there is no preventing this... humanity is at the mercy of our own flawed nature.
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
post #24 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammi jo View Post

Earth in 200 years time?

Probably somewhat of a hybrid of the world depicted in the movie "Blade Runner", based on the scifi classic "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?", Orwell's 1984, and Aldous Huxley's "Brave New World"....except far more extreme... the dystopia of one's worst nightmare...

And every time the partisan freaks claim global warming and evolution are lies, they are telling us that 2+2=5.
post #25 of 62
Quote:

Case, point.

No really...let's discuss it. Let's talk about what Bush did to make things so terrible.
post #26 of 62
Quote:

No really...let's discuss it. Let's talk about what Bush did to make things so terrible.

Right. We've never done that before.

What makes you think the result would be any different this time?
post #27 of 62
in 200 years we will all be dependent on govt feeding us
we will become the food for the aristocracy
refer to
"the time machine"
"1984"
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
post #28 of 62
Quote:

It wasn't so much what *Bush* did that was so terrible. He was just the president. But it was what happened on his watch, and the decisions made by those close to, and running his show.

The first was before he was even in office, US Supreme Court decided 5-4, arbitrarily, that counting the votes of the people of Florida was of less importance than the political career of George W. Bush.

Had *ALL* the votes in Florida been counted, and Bush had won fairly and squarely, then that is OK. We voted in a man whose legacy was at best a farce. We've possibly had worse presidents. But the hijacking of the 2000 election by Katherine Harris, DataBase Technologies and others, employing fraud and deception, then the subsequent act by the SCOTUS in basically canceling the election, negating and replacing the votes of 100 million or so Americans by those of 9 judges, was a national disgrace at best, perhaps even an act of treason.

Anyway, as I said before, if Bush had won after *all* the votes had been counted, then we can live with that.... yes, even we liberals. However, never knowing who really won, is the part that keeps this case rumbling on. I have argued with many conservatives over this, who invariably end up saying, "Oh sheesh, get over it already"... but if you can get them listen to the inverse of this story.... a situation in which Gore operatives had tampered with the electoral system striking 10s of thousands of NRA members from the electoral roll, and a democratic majority in the Supreme Court had stopped the count when it appeared that Bush was catching up...

Say no more.

Back to the reply...

Quote:
"Let's talk about what Bush did to make things so terrible".

Bush? Don't blame Bush. He's just a son in a famous American dynasty... a household name with a long history. He didn't have a very successful record in business, but most business startups fail. He did serve his country during the Vietnam War, but his élite family status allowed him to to be stationed in Texas, as opposed to shipping out for combat duties... Don't blame Bush for that.... he's far from alone there. He had some problems with drugs and alcohol in early life, but so do millions of others; Bush however recovered, and ended up being (properly) elected as governor of Texas. Bush wasn't in control of the 2000 election... don't blame him for that either.

The category 5 shitstorm that went down during the Bush years, and has continued and even accelerated during the Obama years, is far more because of these guys, and these guys and this and these senators in the first list in this link.

Don't blame Bush. He was a powerless mouthpiece, largely clueless, and probably on all kinds of medication. He was in way over his head, (just like Obama). You could just see it in his helpless scared schoolboy look when his chief of staff Andy Card told him something we know not what, in that Florida classroom...
post #29 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

Yes, look at how they are viewed. Generally positive impressions with a few attempting to tear them down due to imperfections or negative aspects of their personalities. However, I would not put George Washington and JFK in the same class. JFK was shot and killed and so he got the benefit of a society that wanted to believe the best about a person who had passed in an untimely manner. He was not a horrible person overall, but he was not the saint that people made him out to be. George, also not perfect, was not anywhere near the level of JFKs imperfections. Most recent presidents have not risen to the level of those that preceded them by more than 50 years. There have been ups and downs, but overall it has been a case of less than what one would hope for.

Noah I gave some of the Best examples. Bush won't be viewed like that.
post #30 of 62
I also see us well out into the solar system by then. The nature of supply and demand will change in ways we can't forsee at this time because of that. I also think we will have figured a way to travel interstellar by then. Either in sublight ships or we will have found a way around the speed of light by then. I also see us using genetics to manipulate all sorts of things in the human condition from disease to eye color. Machines will be capable of out thinking us by then so we'd better come up with a way to keep them from running the show. Before you scoff at these things think of the world in the year 1811 vs 2011 on to 2211 and remember technology is changing at an exponential rate now so much faster than the last 200 years. Things and issues will definitely be different and what ever legacy we leave I hope they understand that there were a few of us who weren't locked into the current short sightedness and were forward thinking even in this time.
post #31 of 62

U.S. Vice-President Henry A. Wallace

"Continued anarchy among nations in the atomic age threatens our civilization and humanity itself with annihilation...The only ultimate alternative to war is the abandonment of the principle of the coercion of sovereigns by sovereigns and the adoption of the principle of the just enforcement upon individuals of world federal law, enacted by a world federal legislature with limited but adequate powers to safeguard the common defense and the general welfare of all mankind...Such a structure of peace through government can be evolved by making the United Nations an effective agency...Beyond an effective United Nations lies the further possibility of genuine world government."

U.S. Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas

"World Federalism is an idea that will not die. More and more people are coming to realize that peace must be more than an interlude if we are to survive; that peace is a product of law and order; that law is essential if the force of arms it not to rule the world."

British Prime Minister Winston Churchill

"Unless we establish some form of world government, it will not be possible for us to avert a World War III in the future."

Soviet President Mikhail Gorbachev

"On today's agenda is not just a union of democratic states, but also a democratically organized world community ... An awareness of the need for some kind of global government is gaining ground, one in which all members of the world community would take part."

~ http://dwfed.org/world_govt_visionaries.html
post #32 of 62
Quote:

Noah I gave some of the Best examples. Bush won't be viewed like that.

None of our recent presidents will.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #33 of 62
Let's hope this will be a thing of the past everywhere...

"In the hours after the 2008 election of the countrys first African-American president, three white men crept up to a predominantly African-American church being built here in Springfield, blessed it corruptly with gasoline and faded into the fresh November night.

Soon the churchs pastor, Bishop Bryant Robinson Jr., was at the crime scenes flickering edge, weary, saddened. Moments before, he had been anticipating a new chapter in American history, and now here was one page, stuck. He didnt need an investigation to tell him this was a racist act of arson. He is a black man with snow in his hair; he knew."
~ http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/26/us...n.html?_r=1&hp
post #34 of 62
Quote:

I also see us well out into the solar system by then. The nature of supply and demand will change in ways we can't forsee at this time because of that. I also think we will have figured a way to travel interstellar by then. Either in sublight ships or we will have found a way around the speed of light by then. I also see us using genetics to manipulate all sorts of things in the human condition from disease to eye color.

Do you think we'll be able to have most people pass a basic grammar test, too?

Quote:
Machines will be capable of out thinking us by then so we'd better come up with a way to keep them from running the show.

Yes, let's get right on that. We need federal funding!!!

Quote:
Before you scoff at these things think of the world in the year 1811 vs 2011 on to 2211 and remember technology is changing at an exponential rate now so much faster than the last 200 years.

Run on sentences are getting longer, too.

Quote:
Things and issues will definitely be different

Ya think?

Quote:
and what ever legacy we leave I hope they understand that there were a few of us who weren't locked into the current short sightedness and were forward thinking even in this time.

And we wrap it up with a partisan political comment! Well done, jimmac. Well done.
post #35 of 62
Quote:

Let's hope this will be a thing of the past everywhere...

"In the hours after the 2008 election of the countrys first African-American president, three white men crept up to a predominantly African-American church being built here in Springfield, blessed it corruptly with gasoline and faded into the fresh November night.

Soon the churchs pastor, Bishop Bryant Robinson Jr., was at the crime scenes flickering edge, weary, saddened. Moments before, he had been anticipating a new chapter in American history, and now here was one page, stuck. He didnt need an investigation to tell him this was a racist act of arson. He is a black man with snow in his hair; he knew."
~ http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/26/us...n.html?_r=1&hp

Does this have something to do with the thread? Also, what would your reaction be if I posted a story about three black men (with those words emphasized) doing something similar?
post #36 of 62
Quote:

Does this have something to do with the thread? Also, what would your reaction be if I posted a story about three black men (with those words emphasized) doing something similar?

Did three black men do something similar? If not, live in the real world and cut the hypothetical crap.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #37 of 62
Quote:

Did three black men do something similar? If not, live in the real world and cut the hypothetical crap.

Yes, 3 black men DID!
Pick up the Houston Chronicle any day of the week and you will find a new news story about a (or two, or three) black man (men) that committed some crime or other...
post #38 of 62
Quote:

Yes, 3 black men DID!
Pick up the Houston Chronicle any day of the week and you will find a new news story about a (or two, or three) black man (men) that committed some crime or other...

So after every previous white president was elected, groups of black men burned down white churches. Got it.

Analogy fail, sir.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #39 of 62
Quote:

You would be surprised it seems...

http://www.loompanics.com/Articles/hatecrimes.html

Hate is out there, and it is not just one side or the other.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #40 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

You would be surprised it seems...

http://www.loompanics.com/Articles/hatecrimes.html

Hate is out there, and it is not just one side or the other.

Those are not relevantly similar situations, lest you want to open the floodgates on all hate crimes. This was a very specific situation following the election of a black president. Find something RELEVANTLY similar.

-Sagan

-Sagan
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › 200 years from now.