Originally Posted by BigMac2
My question is why there is so many flash zealot? Do we still care and fight for other out of date tech like QBasic, DOS, FLI video, long gone in the already overcrowded tech graveyard? My only answer is Flash should serve well some interest: Advertiser that want to exploit Flash respawning cookies not committed to browser security policies and bad programers that never put efforts into learning how to code.
I don't understand this either. I won't go as far as saying that Flash has no merits whatsoever, or that it could not be the right tool for some jobs, but all the pro-Flash arguments I have ever heard are along the lines of 'with Flash you can write once and deploy everywhere', so 'you will have access more content', 'HTML5 cannot match Flash in what you can do with it', or 'lots of websites still use Flash'. All these arguments are true, but I simply can't see why they would matter to me.
- Run once, deploy anywhere
Why would *I* care about how much effort it takes *developers* to create platform-specific ports of their content, especially since history has proven time and time again that cross-platform is almost synonymous to 'sub-optimal', 'inefficient' and 'not making use of platform advantages'
- Access to more content
More content I don't care about in the first place, especially since I'm already drowning in a sea of even better content that was created and optimized specifically for my device and platform. There is no scarcity of great platform-specific content. I can't even remember longing for 'more interactive content' in my browser. In fact, the world-wide-web has become increasingly pleasant in my experience in the last few years, because more and more websites are dropping their stupid Flash crap and simply making a clean HTML version of it.
- HTML5 cannot match Flash in what you can do with it.
Maybe, but HTML5 can still do anything that matters for the purpose it was built for, ie: web content, and even the typical simple interactive Flash content and games. So according to Adobe now you can make 'console games' that run a browser, big deal. Is anyone really waiting for this? Are people really going to prefer playing through a 12 hour campaign behind a PC over playing the same game would be 10 times better if it ran natively?
- Lots of websites still use Flash
Yes, an 90% of these also work without Flash, using fallbacks, or by simply not showing me moving, blinking interactive crap I never asked for. The 10% that really need Flash are game sites full of the millionth bejeweled and FarmVille clones that already also have umpteen native ports on every platform imaginable. Strangely, all my web browsers on all my machines block all Flash content by default, with a button I can click to run them, and the number of times I do this each year can be counted on one hand.
Flash should stick to the single thing it is still useful for: online art projects, animation, or complicated applications that have a real benefit running from a browser and cannot be done using standard web tools, that kind of stuff. I estimate the market for such applications is less than 1% of all applications ever made. Adobe is trying to make us believe Flash is awesome for the other 99% as well, but that's all show and now substance.