or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple board member Al Gore mentions 'new iPhones' coming in October

Apple board member Al Gore mentions 'new iPhones' coming in October

post #1 of 45
Apple board member and former U.S. vice president Al Gore has gained attention and stirred up speculation for mentioning Apple will release new "iPhones" -- plural -- next month.

Gore mentioned Apple's next smartphones in a speech given Wednesday at the Discovery Invest Leadership Summit in South Africa according to The Next Web. The comment has added fuel to rumors and speculation that Apple could release a cheaper so-called "iPhone 4S" alongside a redesigned fifth-generation iPhone.

"Not to mention the new iPhones coming out next month. That was a plug," Gore is quoted as having said. He has been a member of the Apple Board of Directors since 2003.

Apple is expected to hold an event on Oct. 4 to announce its next-generation iPhone. It will be a later than usual debut for the handset, as upgraded models in years past have launched in the June-July timeframe.

As hype surrounding the next iPhone continues to grow, there has been speculation that Apple could introduce a second iPhone model this year, expanding the product lineup much like the company has done with the iPod touch, iPod nano and iPod shuffle beyond the iPod classic. Some reports have suggested Apple plans to release a new, less expensive model that could be sold contract-free and geared toward developing countries like China.

Of course, Apple also currently sells different iPhone options that vary in slightly different ways: the current-generation iPhone 4 is available in 16GB and 32GB capacities, and also has options for a GSM radio compatible with AT&T's network or a CDMA radio that works with Verizon in the U.S. The company also still sells the previous generation iPhone 3GS model, first released in 2009.

Confusion over the still-unofficial fifth-generation iPhone has persisted, as third-party cases and even a report from The New York Times have suggested the so-called "iPhone 5" will sport a new form factor. Those have stood in contrast to leaked parts and conflicting reports that have instead claimed that the next iPhone will have an appearance largely similar to the current iPhone 4.

Politics is off topic to this thread because the story had nothing to do with politics. Even if the man is a former politician, the story had nothing to do with his politics. If you want to discuss his politics, find the thread in Political Outsider.
post #2 of 45
I really think this is reading too much into his words. If he'd said 'new Cinema Displays next month' would we assume he meant there would be more than one model? No.

Of far more importance is that this is the first ACTUAL confirmation from inside Apple that a new iPhone is in fact coming out next month.
post #3 of 45
deleted
post #4 of 45
If that quoted text is accurate I don't see how that will stand well with Apple.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #5 of 45
First MDN, now this. He didn't say "new iPhone models", so you simply can't make that conclusion

But I do believe they're two. One is the natural evolution of the iPhone line, the other a contract-free Android wannabe killer.

iPhone 4S 64GB, Black, soon to be sold in favor of a Nokia Lumia 920
Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

iPhone 4S 64GB, Black, soon to be sold in favor of a Nokia Lumia 920
Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

post #6 of 45
Steve is only gone for a month and "the ship is already leaking from the top"
post #7 of 45
Whew, that's a relief. Until now I was worried that Apple would make only one iPhone 5 and we'd all have to share.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #8 of 45
I agree, WTF is with people? Can't they keep their mouths shut? Steve should kick some butts as long as he has breath in his body.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #9 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

Steve is only gone for a month and "the ship is already leaking from the top"

The Chairman of the Board should be ousted for that getting out. Wait, who's the Chairman? Oh yeah......
post #10 of 45
Technically Apple doesn't make one iPhone, they makes millions of them, and all the ones that aren't refurbished, well, they are new.
Al, you seem to be safe this time.
post #11 of 45
I must say that those who run Apple are geniuses! Look at all of the free press they have been getting! Go Apple!
post #12 of 45
Who cares where the leak comes from. We are all waiting impatiently to know more about the upcoming iPhone.

Everyone complains about a lack of info from Apple, and now we finally have something that came from someone affiliated with the company and everyone is bashing?
post #13 of 45
Yeah you can't conclude there will be a 4s and a 5 from his words. He could mean the iPhone for AT&T and the one for Verizon along with the 16gb and 32gb etc. the 'iPhones" plural. Sometimes these guys get so wrapped up in their presentation that they forget that the product hasn't been announced yet. He's been aware of it for months and it is such a matter of fact for him that he slipped up. Shit happens.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #14 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajun View Post

Of course he had to let the cat out of the bag. For just once in his life, he wanted to be right about SOMETHING!

Ha! That's a good one.
post #15 of 45
You can bet if he said it he was told to mention it. And this news may have people in general holding off their "phone" purchase to see what's coming.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #16 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

You can bet if he said it he was told to mention it. And this news may have people in general holding off their "phone" purchase to see what's coming.

At least it isn't like he has something to gain by mentioning it. He did say it was a plug. Wouldn't that be a plug for Apple since he doesn't work for a partnering company like that publisher guy who spilled the beans about the App Store last year.

post #17 of 45
I think everyone is forgetting...

This is a guy that believes in ManBearPig

Quote:
Whew, that's a relief. Until now I was worried that Apple would make only one iPhone 5 and we'd all have to share.

I could actually imagine that. The horror!
post #18 of 45
Didn't Steve used to have that "loose lips" poster on his office wall?
post #19 of 45
My guess is he's commenting on the actual iPhone 5 that will be released and the one that he invented...
post #20 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Hey, I have to agree with you here.

The company wants to slack the demand for the iP4.

Reinstate my Ireland T-shirt order.
post #21 of 45
While it's certainly possible that he was referring to multiple models, the fact is that Apple certainly intends to sell millions of new phoneS next month.
post #22 of 45
That said... Other than speculating about what it means, why would anyone outside of Apple care that Al may have "spilled the beans"???
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
post #23 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphadog7 View Post

Did he say he invented them too?

Good one.

By the way, thanks Al, for single handedly stopping the sales of the current iPhone 4. Yes, I know...many already heard of this rumor. However, sales were still strong. Now that it is no longer a rumor, people will wait.
post #24 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

By the way, thanks Al, for single handedly stopping the sales of the current iPhone 4. Yes, I know...many already heard of this rumor. However, sales were still strong. Now that it is no longer a rumor, people will wait.

I don't see how AI will have any negative effect on iPhone sales around the world.
post #25 of 45
Did he really add "That was a plug"????

If so, that is a complete abuse of power. Why would someone do that, unless they wanted to show people how really ignorant they are.

Knowledge is power, but without wisdom, you're left with abuse of power, and stupidity.
post #26 of 45
Isn't it a bit disingenuous to give Al Gore and Apple grief over a leak about new phones - on a site dedicated to disseminating apple leaks?
post #27 of 45
deleted
post #28 of 45
Remove Al Gore from the board for revealing company secrets. As a board member it is his duty to keep quiet until products are released.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

post #29 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don't see how AI will have any negative effect on iPhone sales around the world.

Maybe a little unless Apple has already discontinued producing them and the inventory is dwindling quickly. On the other hand we don't know if the iPhone 4 is going to continue on as the low priced alternative and the 3Gs will be discontinued. We will probably see in a couple weeks. But even that is an unknown.

post #30 of 45
I guess I have to wait for this to get moved to PO before I can comment further.
post #31 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Hey, I have to agree with you here.

The company wants to slack the demand for the iP4.

Reinstate my Ireland T-shirt order.

October 4 is 13 days away. Edit: you were not being sarcastic, lol.
post #32 of 45
It all depends on what the meaning of the word "iPhones" is?

iPhones as plural to mean multiple models.

OR

all the millions of iPhones that will be made, sold, and crush the hell out of all other phones.

I am long on my shares of AAPL at $37.00

I am long on my shares of AAPL at $37.00

post #33 of 45
Politics is off topic to this thread because the story had nothing to do with politics. Even if the man is a former politician, this story had nothing to do with his politics. It's not that fine of a distinction. Political posts have been moved to Political Outsider.

If you want to continue that discussion, go here: http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=132609
post #34 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Politics is off topic to this thread because the story had nothing to do with politics. Even if the man is a former politician, this story had nothing to do with his politics. It's not that fine of a distinction. Political posts have been moved to Political Outsider.

I agree, and thanks for saving me from myself. But you should remove cajun's post #5 which started it all, and not just the responses to it.

Thanks for keeping watch.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #35 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

good one
post #36 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I agree, and thanks for saving me from myself. But you should remove cajun's post #5 which started it all, and not just the responses to it.

Thanks for keeping watch.

Fixed, thanks.
post #37 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dullblade View Post

Did he really add "That was a plug"????

If so, that is a complete abuse of power. Why would someone do that, unless they wanted to show people how really ignorant they are.

Knowledge is power, but without wisdom, you're left with abuse of power, and stupidity.

For goddess's sake, it was an eff-ing joke. Are you that disconnected from social interaction that you can't get that it was an effort an a humorous remark?
post #38 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple board member and former U.S. vice president Al Gore has gained attention and stirred up speculation for mentioning Apple will release new "iPhones" -- plural -- next month.

I'm just as excited as anyone about upcoming iOS devices, the iPhone "4s" (or whatever it's called), iPhone 5 and the next generation iPad (I would stand in line for one if there was an Apple Store in my state — not that Apple SHOULD put one in my state; I don't think they should), but lest we not forget iOS 5 in all of this.

If the iPhone and iPad are knocking the "competition" out cold, then iOS 5 will be an absolute death blow! ("FINISH HIM!" to anyone familiar with Mortal Kombat.)

Even with the iOS devices we own now (those of us who do, and are iOS 5-capable), iOS 5 will be like getting a whole new iPhone, or iPad or iPod touch — say, an iPhone 4.5 or an iPad 2.5. (Maybe 2.7.5.)

The upcoming new iPhones (and possibly a new iPod touch) and an iPad ”3” coming early next year, combined with iOS 5 will be absolutely lethal (not to us, the "competition,” such as it is).

While we're all caught up in the innovative new 200+ "user-visible" changes, don't forget that in addition to improvements to (and in some cases veritable overhauls) to the underlying, invisible APIs (as just two examples: improvements and efficiencies to Core Animation and 48+ new filters to Core Image), there are 1,600+ NEW APIs that will be included in iOS 5!

In sort of a "Zero new features Snow Leopard" manner," much iOS code optimization (especially better use of GCD), sandboxing, stability, responsiveness and security improvements have gone on, plus a lot of "cruft": library programming commands or "calls," that were inefficient or could be greatly improved, have been deprecated or improved (but won't break compatibility) in iOS 5.

Some of Apple's underlying technology improvements to iOS 5 will actually improve data connection (e.g. high-speed Internet, 802.11). Of course it won't increase actual transmission speeds (that's out of Apple's hands), but it will improve the speed with which the iOS 5 device handles wired and wireless connection data. To the user this under-the-radar software technology will seem like your ISP has upped its speed, or Wi-Fi connections are faster and less location "fussy." Improved streaming may be one of the most important.

This all is important to the user not just because user-visible changes in iOS 5 will VASTLY improve your experience immediately, but because of what it portends for the future of iOS apps.

Throw a GPS component or an accelerometer or a digital compass or camera into a device with an awesome OS and SDK, unleash it on developers and watch the magic!

You end up with things like this, this, or this !

Dump awesome new APIs and software and hardware capabilities into the collective lap of iOS developers, unfold your lawn chair and sit and watch the fireworks!

You don't have to be a geek or iOS developer to appreciate this.

We won't fully appreciate iOS 5 for a while as developers harness its new technologies and produce apps that are even more astonishing than the already-astonishing apps that exist now.

With the U.S. and world economies on our minds, the depressing geopolitical situation of the planet, and just interminable bad news overall, might I suggest we look for optimism in a future with iOS 5 apps that will BLOW OUR MINDS!?! (Assuming it hasn't already been blown!)

ANDROID WE'RE COMING FOR YOU!

P.S. I overlooked a tiny detail in all of this: iCloud.

post #39 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Magic 8 Ball says there's a change coming to the BoD....

The SEC probably isn't impressed either. Poor Steve, another betrayal by his own board member.

"Isn't it funny, a ship that leaks from the top?"
post #40 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

Good one.

nah...people are impatient. My friend recently bought an iPhone 4 (maybe a month and a half ago but still) knowing full well the iPhone5 was around the corner.

Patience is non existent for the most part. It's how our economy runs.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple board member Al Gore mentions 'new iPhones' coming in October