or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Employee owned iPhone, iPad an "unstoppable train" in the enterprise
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Employee owned iPhone, iPad an "unstoppable train" in the enterprise

post #1 of 35
Thread Starter 
A briefing by Gartner on the management of employee owned devices within corporate circles "affirms the strong opportunity of Apple in the enterprise," a market where 91 percent of the Fortune 500 are testing or deploying iOS devices.

That observation, by RBC Capital Markets analyst Mike Abramsky, was made in response to Gartner's presentation, which estimated that 40 percent of organizations already support employee owned mobile devices.

Gartner called the trend toward "bring your own devices" as an "unstoppable train coming down the tracks," noting that "C-level executives" have opened the door to employee-owned mobile devices and that younger employees "prefer consumer technologies like iPhones and iPads over enterprise-provided alternatives."

On the flip side, organizations are quickly moving to adopt consumer choices as it helps shift Information Technology costs, including hardware, support and service, to users.

iPhone, iPad seeing the most uptake

Gartner reports that Apple's iOS devices are benefiting the most from the trend toward "bring your own devices," pointing out, as Abramsky reports, "Apple's proprietary model is more enterprise-friendly than Android, given its simplicity (two models -- iPhone and iPad), security and manageability features, and platform stability, vs. Android's device fragmentation and missing security features."

Sales, marketing, education, healthcare and retail are seeing the most rapid adoption of consumer selected mobile devices, while the presentation noted that high-security environments are not well suited for "bring your own device" policies, and that poor implementations of the practice could be chaotic for IT departments.

Apple enters the enterprise carried by employees

Apple's Steve Jobs observed several years ago that his company was targeting consumers because as a market, they were open to new options, while the enterprise market sat behind a small number of gatekeeper decision makers that made it very difficult to Apple to sell its products.

Apple has increasingly focused its efforts on mobile devices and has worked to make them attractive to enterprise users, particularly since the release of iOS 2.0, which added support for Exchange Server and other popular corporate protocols.

Apple has since worked to make both iOS and Mac OS X Lion attractive to corporate customers, recently adding new profile-based system management to Lion, for example, as well as contracting with Unisys to sell Macs and iOS devices to corporations and government agencies.

On the other hand, Apple has shifted away from efforts to sell Xserve and Xserve RAID hardware, and has turned its Mac OS X Server product from a general purpose, $1000 per copy server OS into a $50 Mac App Store download.
post #2 of 35
Apple iOS devices: An "unstoppable train coming down the tracks"

Android / webOS / QNX / Bada / WP7 / W8: A massive train wreck.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply
post #3 of 35
iPhone and iPad halo in the huzzie. Next will be tens of thousands of MacBook Airs being brought in by employees. By the time Windows 8 gets to consumers and the enterprise late next year, Apple should have a pretty tight connection with consumers and businesses everywhere.
post #4 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


Gartner called the trend toward "bring your own devices" as an "unstoppable train coming down the tracks," noting that "C-level executives" have opened the door to employee-owned mobile devices and that younger employees "prefer consumer technologies like iPhones and iPads over enterprise-provided alternatives."

Who wrote the headline? It misreports what was said.

The headline may as well have been "Employee Owned Android Phones an 'Unstoppable Train" in the Enterprise".

That would have been no more inaccurate (and no more accurate) than the AI headline.
post #5 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Who wrote the headline? It misreports what was said.

The headline may as well have been "Employee Owned Android Phones an 'Unstoppable Train" in the Enterprise".

That would have been no more inaccurate (and no more accurate) than the AI headline.

What was said, as you quoted, does at least mention iPad and iPhoneand only iPad and iPhone. So a headline about Android would not be equally accurate.
post #6 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

What was said, as you quoted, does at least mention iPad and iPhoneand only iPad and iPhone. So a headline about Android would not be equally accurate.

What was "mentioned" were consumer technologies. But the mere mention does not justify the transposition...Heck. Why am I arguing about this?

Believe that a mention in a different context makes the headline "more accurate", and that accuracy is a sliding scale, or whatever you wish.
post #7 of 35
post #8 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

What was "mentioned" were consumer technologies. But the mere mention does not justify the transposition...

"..."affirms the strong opportunity of Apple in the enterprise," a market where 91 percent of the Fortune 500 are testing or deploying IOS [note] devices."

"...younger employees "prefer consumer technologies like iPhones and iPads [note] over enterprise-provided alternatives.""

"iPhone, iPad [note] seeing the most uptake"

"Gartner reports that Apple's iOS devices [note] are benefiting the most from the trend toward "bring your own devices," pointing out, as Abramsky reports, "Apple's [note] proprietary model is more enterprise-friendly than Android, given its simplicity (two models -- iPhone and iPad [note] ), security and manageability features, and platform stability, vs. Android's device fragmentation and missing security features.""

Practically every paragraph mentions and/or quotes people talking about Apple, iOS, the iPhone, or the iPad. How off can the headline be???
post #9 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

made it very difficult to Apple to sell its products.

AI typo #3 for today...he means difficult for Apple to sell
post #10 of 35
The only thing that makes me nervous about Apple OS and iOS making such headway into the corporate world is that with that market will come big gains in market share. And big gains in market share, combined with a larger corporate world presence, will basically paint a bigger bullseye for hackers and virus writers to take aim at.

Us Mac users know that the systems aren't any more resilient to virus and attack than Windows, we just aren't targeted as much. That will change if companies start widespread adaptation of iOS and OS Apple devices.
post #11 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Apple iOS devices: An "unstoppable train coming down the tracks"

Android / webOS / QNX / Bada / WP7 / W8: A massive train wreck.

Based on what, exactly? Oh right, based on your fanboisms

Also, UNICORN OS 16.4 is a train wreck!
post #12 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maguro View Post

AI typo #3 for today...he means difficult for Apple to sell

thank God you're here. The whole article makes sense now.
post #13 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by sommer182 View Post

The only thing that makes me nervous about Apple OS and iOS making such headway into the corporate world is that with that market will come big gains in market share. And big gains in market share, combined with a larger corporate world presence, will basically paint a bigger bullseye for hackers and virus writers to take aim at.

Us Mac users know that the systems aren't any more resilient to virus and attack than Windows, we just aren't targeted as much. That will change if companies start widespread adaptation of iOS and OS Apple devices.

Us Mac users know that Macs are considerably more resistant to viruses and attacks then windows systems. 10 years and counting without aftermarket products to protect my OSX box. The corporate tag doesn't have anything to do with attacks nor has it been corporate usage that has been driving the industry forward for quite some time.
post #14 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

thank God you're here. The whole article makes sense now.

post #15 of 35
I know a number of people who still carry a Blackberry and an iPhone.

My company does not allow me to access my email from my iPhone, nor any internal web sites. I would love to see that change, but I do not see that ever happening.

So, apparently, the "unstoppable train" does not have a station here
post #16 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applecation View Post

I do not see that ever happening.

Because your eyes are closed

What kind of e-mail does your company use that the iPhone doesn't support?

“The only thing more insecure than Android is its userbase.” – Can’t Remember

Reply

“The only thing more insecure than Android is its userbase.” – Can’t Remember

Reply
post #17 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

What was "mentioned" were consumer technologies. But the mere mention does not justify the transposition...Heck. Why am I arguing about this?

Because all your posts are critical and argumentative (and frequently slashed to shreds in responses)?
post #18 of 35
Maybe. Apple is allergic to business and enterprise markets, but I hope Cook changes this.
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
Reply
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
Reply
post #19 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Because your eyes are closed

What kind of e-mail does your company use that the iPhone doesn't support?

Pneumatic!

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/51554075...Patent-6474912
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
Reply
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
Reply
post #20 of 35
Not precisely a new trend. Back around 1985 I brought my Mac into work every Monday morning and home on Friday night because my employer refused to buy computers at all for management people (and a Mac was completely out of the question). In those days, in most offices, only secretaries typed.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #21 of 35
Ultra conservative management and all. About a year and a half ago that all started to change. Shocking I tell you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applecation View Post

I know a number of people who still carry a Blackberry and an iPhone.

My company does not allow me to access my email from my iPhone, nor any internal web sites. I would love to see that change, but I do not see that ever happening.

So, apparently, the "unstoppable train" does not have a station here

Well you can always find a new station.
post #22 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

Maybe. Apple is allergic to business and enterprise markets, but I hope Cook changes this.

I hope Cook doesn't change this and I'm convinced he won't.
Business and enterprise markets are the graveyard of user experience.
post #23 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Because your eyes are closed

What kind of e-mail does your company use that the iPhone doesn't support?

Currently, most Government agencies have hardened BlackBerrys on Exchange servers as their only option. He may be referring to that.
post #24 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Currently, most Government agencies have hardened BlackBerrys on Exchange servers as their only option. He may be referring to that.

Do BlackBerrys afford special security to Exchange servers that iOS doesn't yet?

Because if that's the case, I can completely understand his point now.

Sorry, I don't know anything about Exchange other than "it was really anticipated on the iPhone for business use" and "Now that we have it, we should see business flocking to the iPhone because of its Exchange support".

“The only thing more insecure than Android is its userbase.” – Can’t Remember

Reply

“The only thing more insecure than Android is its userbase.” – Can’t Remember

Reply
post #25 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Do BlackBerrys afford special security to Exchange servers that iOS doesn't yet?

Because if that's the case, I can completely understand his point now.

Sorry, I don't know anything about Exchange other than "it was really anticipated on the iPhone for business use" and "Now that we have it, we should see business flocking to the iPhone because of its Exchange support".

No, I'm not aware that there is any advantage other than the hardening at device level, and in fact they are currently testing iPhones (and perhaps other devices) to get certified, but things move very slowly in this area.
post #26 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

What was "mentioned" were consumer technologies. But the mere mention does not justify the transposition...Heck. Why am I arguing about this?

Believe that a mention in a different context makes the headline "more accurate", and that accuracy is a sliding scale, or whatever you wish.

And yet the article explicitly said that iOS devices are the major benefiters with this therefore I fail to see why you think the title doesn't seem fitting.
post #27 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applecation View Post

I know a number of people who still carry a Blackberry and an iPhone.

My company does not allow me to access my email from my iPhone, nor any internal web sites. I would love to see that change, but I do not see that ever happening.

So, apparently, the "unstoppable train" does not have a station here

I did a stint in the IT department in New Zealand parliament last year and a number of politicians including the Prime Minister got themselves iPads and wanted me to set their e-mail access up for them but the policy set by Parliamentary Services said they weren't allowed to.

Prime Minister holds rank I feel. I set him up for e-mail access in less than a minute.

Meanwhile the BlackBerry phones were taking hours to setup because they wouldn't get the details from the server properly.

Screw corporate policy. There is always someone who will let you know how to get around the red tape.
post #28 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

I did a stint in the IT department in New Zealand parliament last year and a number of politicians including the Prime Minister got themselves iPads and wanted me to set their e-mail access up for them but the policy set by Parliamentary Services said they weren't allowed to.

Prime Minister holds rank I feel. I set him up for e-mail access in less than a minute.

Meanwhile the BlackBerry phones were taking hours to setup because they wouldn't get the details from the server properly.

Screw corporate policy. There is always someone who will let you know how to get around the red tape.

I agree - that's fine if it is just red tape stopping you. In at least some cases, it's a lot more than that.
post #29 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard SG View Post

I hope Cook doesn't change this and I'm convinced he won't.
Business and enterprise markets are the graveyard of user experience.

Then Mac users better not complain when they can't have Macs at work. You can't have it both ways-- defending Apple's lack of interest or support for Macs in enterprises, while at the same time criticizing IT departments for denying Macs to people.

In fact, shouldn't Mac users be praising IT departments for forbidding Macs in their companies? After all, those IT departments are simply upholding Apple's ideals of anti-enteprise.
post #30 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Because your eyes are closed…

What kind of e-mail does your company use that the iPhone doesn't support?

I think you underestimate the control freakery of corporate IT

Blackberry is also a fully end to end encrypted service which matters to a number of organisations
post #31 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

iPhone and iPad halo in the huzzie. Next will be tens of thousands of MacBook Airs being brought in by employees. By the time Windows 8 gets to consumers and the enterprise late next year, Apple should have a pretty tight connection with consumers and businesses everywhere.

I wonder about Macs and enterprise adoption ... It would be cool to see that happen. But lest we forget, there was a period of time when various companies and government organizations switched from Windows to desktop Linux. We don't hear so much about that anymore.
post #32 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukei View Post

I think you underestimate the control freakery of corporate IT

Blackberry is also a fully end to end encrypted service which matters to a number of organisations

True that. Many law firms would say that they couldn't possibly function without the security of Blackberries. The fact is that there is no 3rd party solution that functions the way BES integrates with BBs. Furthermore, purchasing Certicom was one of RIM's smartest moves, giving them a pretty strong IP position.
post #33 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Do BlackBerrys afford special security to Exchange servers that iOS doesn't yet?

Because if that's the case, I can completely understand his point now.

Sorry, I don't know anything about Exchange other than "it was really anticipated on the iPhone for business use" and "Now that we have it, we should see business flocking to the iPhone because of its Exchange support".

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

No, I'm not aware that there is any advantage other than the hardening at device level, and in fact they are currently testing iPhones (and perhaps other devices) to get certified, but things move very slowly in this area.

No, it's not just about *hardening* at the device level. The Blackberry Enterprise Solution is not just about the devices. It is also about how the Blackberry Enterprise Server integrates with Exchange (and also Lotus Domino, etc.).
post #34 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

No, it's not just about *hardening* at the device level. The Blackberry Enterprise Solution is not just about the devices. It is also about how the Blackberry Enterprise Server integrates with Exchange (and also Lotus Domino, etc.).

OK, that makes sense, although as I said, similar solutions are being implemented on iOS that apparently provide equivalent security.
post #35 of 35
The VP of Corp Security at my work supposedly has an iPhone 4. And we are a traditionally a Blackberry shop. Change is coming...

It"s possible to change over to iPhone as long as the Exchange server has a vaild ActiveSync acct for your profile.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Employee owned iPhone, iPad an "unstoppable train" in the enterprise