or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Politics is actually offtopic, even if the man is a former politician
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Politics is actually offtopic, even if the man is a former politician

post #1 of 54
Thread Starter 
Of course he had to let the cat out of the bag. For just once in his life, he wanted to be right about SOMETHING!

Might be time for the board to pull a Tipper and ditch his ass, though.
post #2 of 54
Apple should immediately kick him off of the board of directors for leaking secrets about new products.

Al Gore is a lunatic and hypocrite who equates global warming skepticism to racism.

The fact that Apple has that lunatic on their board, and the fact that I still love and buy Apple's products, truly must mean that they make the most kick ass products around, because I really can't stand Al Gore and his politics.
post #3 of 54
Why is he there? Is this a "keep the tree huggers happy and off our backs" BOD placement?

That guy is a quack, he shouldn't ever be allowed to speak. The fact that he says "iPhones" plural tells me there is only one. If Al is saying it, it is a lie.
post #4 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by airnerd View Post

why is he there? Is this a "keep the tree huggers happy and off our backs" bod placement?

That guy is a quack, he shouldn't ever be allowed to speak. The fact that he says "iphones" plural tells me there is only one. If al is saying it, it is a lie.

excelsior!!
post #5 of 54
deleted
post #6 of 54
Did he say he invented them too?
post #7 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphadog7 View Post

Did he say he invented them too?

Provide one, just one, documented occurrence of his having said he invented the internet. You can't, because he didn't.

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp

He did, in fact, co-sponsor the 1988 act that allowed DARPAnet to be expanded to universities in an organized manner, and the 1992 act that allowed commercial traffic to do the same.

Those who say he did otherwise are either incredibly and stubbornly misinformed, or maliciously and purposefully spreading misinformation.
post #8 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardk32 View Post

Provide one, just one, documented occurrence of his having said he invented the internet. You can't, because he didn't.

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp

He did, in fact, co-sponsor the 1988 act that allowed DARPAnet to be expanded to universities in an organized manner, and the 1992 act that allowed commercial traffic to do the same.

Those who say he did otherwise are either incredibly and stubbornly misinformed, or maliciously and purposefully spreading misinformation.

OK smartass, saying "I took the initiative in creating the Internet" which was his EXACT QUOTE doesn't equate to you semantically as "inventing" the Internet?

Would "I took the initiative in getting her pregnant" not mean "I screwed her" in your textbook?

Are you Bill Clinton's lawyer? Want me to define "is" for you?
post #9 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by airnerd View Post

Why is he there? Is this a "keep the tree huggers happy and off our backs" BOD placement?

That guy is a quack, he shouldn't ever be allowed to speak. The fact that he says "iPhones" plural tells me there is only one. If Al is saying it, it is a lie.

Speaking as a non USA-ian I don't get why everyone hates Al Gore so much.

Sure, he's boring. So what? He hasn't ever done anything bad or wrong as far as I can see in his whole career.

From the outside, the USA seems to be a place just chock a block full of weird, angry, nasty public figures who are always doing horrendous things yet these folks never seem to get criticised at all. I mean come on, Rick Perry? He would be arrested and imprisoned in most normal countries.

Nice guys like Carter or Gore or Obama on the other hand, who (despite not being the most competent individuals all the time), only try to improve the world or do good, just get universally vilified.

Do. Not. Get.
post #10 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Apple should immediately kick him off of the board of directors for leaking secrets about new products.

Al Gore is a lunatic and hypocrite who equates global warming skepticism to racism.

The fact that Apple has that lunatic on their board, and the fact that I still love and buy Apple's products, truly must mean that they make the most kick ass products around, because I really can't stand Al Gore and his politics.

Denying global warming is a disruption of the rational faculties, just like racism. They are both ways of ignoring the truth and believing something anyhow.

Global warming is a belief held by pretty much all scientists, even if Faux News tells you otherwise.
post #11 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgenstein View Post

OK smartass, saying "I took the initiative in creating the Internet" which was his EXACT QUOTE doesn't equate to you semantically as "inventing" the Internet?

Would "I took the initiative in getting her pregnant" not mean "I screwed her" in your textbook?

Are you Bill Clinton's lawyer? Want me to define "is" for you?

He didn't create the internet, he proposed legislation that funded the broadband networks and infrastructure that make the internet what it is today.
post #12 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

.... because I really can't stand Al Gore and his politics.

Of course it's your wont to say/feel so, but people who get so bent out of shape about their politics and start to conflate it with their personal lives scare the s*** out of me.
post #13 of 54
deleted
post #14 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoogH View Post

He didn't create the internet, he proposed legislation that funded the broadband networks and infrastructure that make the internet what it is today.

Oh, you mean that nasty FCC infrastucture tax that he got added to every Americans cell-phone bill to ensure that the poor and those on welfare got free cell phones?

Give me a break. The Internet is a steam train locomotive launched in the 1960's that was well down the track before Algore ever knew what a text message was.

http://www.computerhistory.org/internet_history/


If George Bush were to ever claim 10% of what Algore takes credit for you apologists would have impeached him.
post #15 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Speaking as a non USA-ian I don't get why everyone hates Al Gore so much.

Sure, he's boring. So what? He hasn't ever done anything bad or wrong as far as I can see in his whole career.

From the outside, the USA seems to be a place just chock a block full of weird, angry, nasty public figures who are always doing horrendous things yet these folks never seem to get criticised at all. I mean come on, Rick Perry? He would be arrested and imprisoned in most normal countries.

Nice guys like Carter or Gore or Obama on the other hand, who (despite not being the most competent individuals all the time), only try to improve the world or do good, just get universally vilified.

Do. Not. Get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoogH View Post

Denying global warming is a disruption of the rational faculties, just like racism. They are both ways of ignoring the truth and believing something anyhow.

Global warming is a belief held by pretty much all scientists, even if Faux News tells you otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Of course it's your wont to say/feel so, but people who get so bent out of shape about their politics and start to conflate it with their personal lives scare the s*** out of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

For partisan tools who prefer a world run by single-party government, consider the words of this famous Republican:

"Gore is the person who, in the Congress, most systematically worked to make sure that we got to an Internet"
- Newt Gingrich
http://www.dailyhowler.com/dh120302.shtml

Score so far:

Sane people, 4
Nutjobs, 2 or 3
post #16 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgenstein View Post

OK smartass, saying "I took the initiative in creating the Internet" which was his EXACT QUOTE doesn't equate to you semantically as "inventing" the Internet?

I know you were asking someone else, but to me, it doesn't (and, English is not even my first language).

The rest of your post is blather. One may have perfectly valid reasons to dislike Al Gore, but that does not mean you can dissemble.
post #17 of 54
Al Gore's a savvy investor in different areas, so I always find it idiotic when people point to his investments as some sort of proof that global warming is a hoax, and he makes these things up so that he will some day profit.

Pointing out that someone can read the writing on the walls and puts their money where they think it will benefit is NOT A REFUTATION to proven science. It's arguing science with nonsense when you say global warming isn't real because of his investments.

Thanks for listening to me rant
post #18 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgenstein View Post

OK smartass, saying "I took the initiative in creating the Internet" which was his EXACT QUOTE doesn't equate to you semantically as "inventing" the Internet?

Would "I took the initiative in getting her pregnant" not mean "I screwed her" in your textbook?

Are you Bill Clinton's lawyer? Want me to define "is" for you?

No kidding, I just lost all respect for Snopes calling that false when the quote says it all. Nice of them to obviously politicize what should be an apolitical website.
post #19 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Apple should immediately kick him off of the board of directors for leaking secrets about new products.

Al Gore is a lunatic and hypocrite who equates global warming skepticism to racism.

The fact that Apple has that lunatic on their board, and the fact that I still love and buy Apple's products, truly must mean that they make the most kick ass products around, because I really can't stand Al Gore and his politics.

Oh god, here come the wing nuts again.
post #20 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoogH View Post

Global warming is a belief held by pretty much all scientists...

But they DON'T all agree that it is caused by humans! It could just as easily be a natural cycle that we can do nothing to stop even if we wanted to!

A single large volcanic eruption spews more "harmful" pollution into the air in a matter of minutes than all human activity in that same year! ... So while human industry may contribute on a small scale, it is almost certainly not the CAUSE of any "global warming".
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
Reply
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
Reply
post #21 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgenstein View Post

OK smartass, saying "I took the initiative in creating the Internet" which was his EXACT QUOTE doesn't equate to you semantically as "inventing" the Internet?

Would "I took the initiative in getting her pregnant" not mean "I screwed her" in your textbook?


It would not mean that at all.

Many other possibilities exist. For example, the speaker could have been the one to take her aside and convince her that IVF was her best alternative. Maybe her other friends discussed it, and everybody agreed, but nobody took the initiative to actually do it.
post #22 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregInPrague View Post

No kidding, I just lost all respect for Snopes calling that false when the quote says it all. Nice of them to obviously politicize what should be an apolitical website.

Did you just say that you lost all respect for Snopes for calling something false when it is, in fact, false? And that this somehow reflects a political agenda on their part? Not that it is relevant, but I also can't find any requirement or reference for Snopes to be apolitical either, although they generally seem to be quite even-handed.
post #23 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

But they DON'T all agree that it is caused by humans! It could just as easily be a natural cycle that we can do nothing to stop even if we wanted to!

A single large volcanic eruption spews more "harmful" pollution into the air in a matter of minutes than all human activity in that same year! ... So while human industry may contribute on a small scale, it is almost certainly not the CAUSE of any "global warming".

That's a substantial claim (the second bit). You may well get asked to back that up with some references to peer-reviewed articles. Preferably peer-reviewed articles that haven't subsequently been discredited by the publishing editor.

This is not such a request though, as I thought the discussion was about iPhones.
post #24 of 54
I'm quite impressed with how many climate change denial nuts this post brought out of the woodwork.

It also continues to surprise me how much vitriol there is for a man who was just trying to help the country and all its citizens. What exactly have all you critics ever done to help anyone? Nothing? Then STFU.
post #25 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregInPrague View Post

No kidding, I just lost all respect for Snopes calling that false when the quote says it all. Nice of them to obviously politicize what should be an apolitical website.

Glad to hear someone intellectually honest here.

Furthermore, a few definitions for the Algore apologists and blind followers of Snopes.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/creating
cre·ate   [kree-eyt]
verb (used with object)
1.to cause to come into being, as something unique that would not naturally evolve or that is not made by ordinary processes.
2.to evolve from one's own thought or imagination, as a work of art or an invention.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/inventing
in·vent   [in-vent]
verb (used with object)
1. to originate or create as a product of one's own ingenuity, experimentation, or contrivance: to invent the telegraph.
post #26 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

A single large volcanic eruption spews more "harmful" pollution into the air in a matter of minutes than all human activity in that same year! ... So while human industry may contribute on a small scale, it is almost certainly not the CAUSE of any "global warming".

You do know that even the most basic models control for volcanic eruptions (along with El Nino/La Nina and sunspot activity, but not the impact of cosmic rays on cloud formation), don't you?
post #27 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeman60 View Post

Isn't it a bit disingenuous to give Al Gore and Apple grief over a leak about new phones - on a site dedicated to disseminating apple leaks?

The global warming posts need deleted. The political posts need deleted.

But the rest of the stuff 'giving Apple grief'? Standard operating procedure here.

“The only thing more insecure than Android is its userbase.” – Can’t Remember

Reply

“The only thing more insecure than Android is its userbase.” – Can’t Remember

Reply
post #28 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

But they DON'T all agree that it is caused by humans!

Actually almost all of them do. A few of them, such as Prof. Lindzen at MIT (who is often grouped into the 'skeptic' category although I think that is unfair; I bring up his name because many climate skeptics cite his research) suggest that only a third to a half of what is commonly attributed to humans is actually attributable.

In other words, the debate is one of degree, not kind, among scientists.
post #29 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Apple should immediately kick him off of the board of directors for leaking secrets about new products.

Al Gore is a lunatic and hypocrite who equates global warming skepticism to racism.


I'm glad I'm not the only one who is annoyed by that perspective.
post #30 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Oh god, here come the wing nuts again.

They never left. Because it's all about politics, even if it's not about politics.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #31 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Oh god, here come the wing nuts again.

If by wing nut, you mean a highly intelligent person who believes in science and facts and is immune from liberal lies, deceit, fraud and propaganda, then yeah, that's me alright.

Climate change is still a very much unsettled science, and there's still a lot more to be learned about it. Claiming that anybody who doubts Al Gore's "science" is equal to being a racist isn't the sign of a very intelligent person or somebody who has any substantial arguments to bring to the table.

Al Gore is a liberal hypocrite who tells everybody to conserve energy, while in true liberal fashion, he lives in big mansions and has $30,000 utility bills. Not so bright people who fall for his propaganda obviously lack the mental capacity to debate with far superior opponents such as myself, so these liberal simpletons attempt to shutdown any debate, because they know that they'd lose any intellectual debate, being the foolish and ignorant moonbats that they are.
post #32 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple board member and former U.S. vice president Al Gore has gained attention and stirred up speculation for mentioning Apple will release new "iPhones" -- plural -- next month.

Uh huh. And this from the man who 'invented' the Internet
post #33 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajun View Post

Might be time for the board to pull a Tipper and ditch his ass, though.

He's there because he's Steve's pal. When Steve has less say about the makeup of the board I hope he's gone in short order. Given power, he'd make the company as successful as say, Air America or some of his other "ventures."

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

Steve is only gone for a month and "the ship is already leaking from the top"

This is a man who's needed "Depends" for his mouth for decades already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Al Gore is a lunatic and hypocrite who equates global warming skepticism to racism.

The fact that Apple has that lunatic on their board, and the fact that I still love and buy Apple's products, truly must mean that they make the most kick ass products around, because I really can't stand Al Gore and his politics.

Indeed, feeding Gore is truly the "Apple Tax."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Speaking as a non USA-ian I don't get why everyone hates Al Gore so much.

Sure, he's boring. So what? He hasn't ever done anything bad or wrong as far as I can see in his whole career.

From the outside, the USA seems to be a place just chock a block full of weird, angry, nasty public figures who are always doing horrendous things yet these folks never seem to get criticised at all. I mean come on, Rick Perry? He would be arrested and imprisoned in most normal countries.

Nice guys like Carter or Gore or Obama on the other hand, who (despite not being the most competent individuals all the time), only try to improve the world or do good, just get universally vilified.

Do. Not. Get.

Starting to get why some of your Apple posts also seem so off kilter. Nice guy? He's the one who introduced "Willie Horton" into a presidential campaign against Dukakis, and for which Bush Sr. is still being excoriated for following up on as a racist. And he has played the race card in the environmental area, plus made a number of shouting, screaming hateful quotes about conservatives.

And he's done very well - by Al Gore that is - with his faux do-gooding (his original money comes from his racist (staunch segregationist), oil-connected dad, and his own carbon footprint as he gads about the globe making predictions that never come true is enormous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoogH View Post

Denying global warming is a disruption of the rational faculties, just like racism. They are both ways of ignoring the truth and believing something anyhow.

Global warming is a belief held by pretty much all scientists, even if Faux News tells you otherwise.

1. According to Gore, the world ran out of time several decades ago, but he keeps saying we only have a few years to rectify the problems.

2. Primarily HUMAN-CAUSED Global Warming is not a belief held by "pretty much all scientists" - there are hundreds to thousands of dissenters, and a major publisher just had to correct hugely false information about ice-melting in Greenland this week, not long after another scientific organization (affiliated with the UN?) had to admit they'd miscalculated the arrival of some apocalypse or other, by, oh, a decimal point (a factor of 10X if you haven't noticed). Which came after the admission of data shading within a major research circle.

But you are right about one thing: it's a BELIEF. Climatology is such an immature science that the same people who get tomorrow's weather forecasts bacasswards are prescribing definitive policies for the next 100 years.

3. And there you go again, trying to label anyone who points info like this out as racist by association. Same as Gore.

4. And if people like Gore (and his anti-counterparts on the right, yes) didn't politicize it so much, we COULD have a rational look at the changing global environment. I personally don't feel it's sensible to be chopping down the air factories of the earth in So. America or doing a lot of what we do - but the environmental movement is about leftist politics in general much more than it is about hard science.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

Reply

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

Reply
post #34 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Apple should immediately kick him off of the board of directors for leaking secrets about new products.

Al Gore is a lunatic and hypocrite who equates global warming skepticism to racism.

The fact that Apple has that lunatic on their board, and the fact that I still love and buy Apple's products, truly must mean that they make the most kick ass products around, because I really can't stand Al Gore and his politics.

Really! Especially when they can have you!
post #35 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajun View Post

Of course he had to let the cat out of the bag. For just once in his life, he wanted to be right about SOMETHING!

Might be time for the board to pull a Tipper and ditch his ass, though.

Must be tough for Mac fans who are conservative when Apple is pretty much progressive through and through. Maybe you ought to get a hard-on for Carl's Jr. or In-N-Out and complain about liberals on their boards. Oh wait, there aren't any.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
post #36 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpics View Post


1. According to Gore, the world ran out of time several decades ago, but he keeps saying we only have a few years to rectify the problems.

2. Primarily HUMAN-CAUSED Global Warming is not a belief held by "pretty much all scientists" - there are hundreds to thousands of dissenters, and a major publisher just had to correct hugely false information about ice-melting in Greenland this week, not long after another scientific organization (affiliated with the UN?) had to admit they'd miscalculated the arrival of some apocalypse or other, by, oh, a decimal point (a factor of 10X if you haven't noticed). Which came after the admission of data shading within a major research circle.

But you are right about one thing: it's a BELIEF. Climatology is such an immature science that the same people who get tomorrow's weather forecasts bacasswards are prescribing definitive policies for the next 100 years.

3. And there you go again, trying to label anyone who points info like this out as racist by association. Same as Gore.

4. And if people like Gore (and his anti-counterparts on the right, yes) didn't politicize it so much, we COULD have a rational look at the changing global environment. I personally don't feel it's sensible to be chopping down the air factories of the earth in So. America or doing a lot of what we do - but the environmental movement is about leftist politics in general much more than it is about hard science.

Would you consider the thought that there might be something inconsistent about using anecdotal evidence (point 2) to criticize a group for not using "hard science" (point 5)?

You might also take into account that short-term forecasting and climatology are different branches, an error in current day ice sheet coverage in an atlas by a publishing company perhaps shouldn't be blamed on climatologists, and other, unspecified, errors do not imply anything about this subject.

It's a shame that the legitimate scientific discussion over the extent and causes of climate change has been derailed so badly by such nonsense as the "racist" issue.
post #37 of 54
deleted
post #38 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Is that monthly?

$30,000 per year and that was almost 5 years ago. The hypocritical dude uses more than 20 times as much electricity as the average home does. And this guy goes around lecturing other people to conserve?

Armed with Gore's utility bills for the last two years, the Tennessee Center for Policy Research charged Monday that the gas and electric bills for the former vice president's 20-room home and pool house devoured nearly 221,000 kilowatt-hours in 2006, more than 20 times the national average of 10,656 kilowatt-hours.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?se...rld&id=5072659
post #39 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

But they DON'T all agree that it is caused by humans! It could just as easily be a natural cycle that we can do nothing to stop even if we wanted to!

A single large volcanic eruption spews more "harmful" pollution into the air in a matter of minutes than all human activity in that same year! ... So while human industry may contribute on a small scale, it is almost certainly not the CAUSE of any "global warming".

Incorrect. The eruption of the Icelandic volcano reduced the amount of pollution in the air because of all the planes that were grounded.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...rbon-emissions

Although this was classified as a smaller eruption, the mere fact that just grounding planes can have such an impact makes me skeptical that your point has any real validity to it.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #40 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

$30,000 per year and that was almost 5 years ago. The hypocritical dude uses more than 20 times as much electricity as the average home does. And this guy goes around lecturing other people to conserve?

Armed with Gore's utility bills for the last two years, the Tennessee Center for Policy Research charged Monday that the gas and electric bills for the former vice president's 20-room home and pool house devoured nearly 221,000 kilowatt-hours in 2006, more than 20 times the national average of 10,656 kilowatt-hours.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?se...rld&id=5072659


Jealous much?

Are you one of these right wing Tea Party people who think lefties have to live like the poor?

If so think again. Al Gore's got more more money than the tea Party will ever have.

And next time don't slander Al Gore.

Got it?
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Politics is actually offtopic, even if the man is a former politician