or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Sprint says iPhone is the top reason it loses customers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sprint says iPhone is the top reason it loses customers

post #1 of 48
Thread Starter 
Sprint's chief executive Dan Hesse bent over backwards to avoid naming Apple's iPhone as having a future impact on his company's earnings, but did allude to the device as being "number one reason customers churn" from Sprint to its competitors.

Speaking to analysts about the company's future financial expectations at an event sponsored by Goldman Sachs and covered by CNET, Hesse took care not to confirm that Sprint would be carrying the iPhone, but remarked that, "If we get it--if--we may have to adjust our guidance for that."

Sprint's existing financial guidance currently does not factor in the impact of the iPhone, which Hesse alluded to only as a certain 'rumored device.'

Hesse had earlier introduced his comments by saying he would not be talking about the possibility of Sprint carrying Apple's smartphone, but did acknowledge that the iPhone was the biggest reason Sprint's customers leave.



Sprint has been rumored to carry a new iPhone 5 alongside AT&T and Verizon by the Wall Street Journal, while leaks from associates indicate Sprint will soon be launching a version of iPhone 4.
post #2 of 48
Why would people be leaving Sprint?

They have long been the bastion of Android handsets, which are "winning".
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
post #3 of 48
"...adjust our guidance" is code for "we'll actually make a profit as a company".
post #4 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

"...adjust our guidance" is code for "we'll actually make a profit as a company".

"Adjust our guidance" = "We'll be dropping the unlimited plan."

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #5 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Why would people be leaving Sprint?

They have long been the bastion of Android handsets, which are "winning".

But Android is so much better in usage, features and sales than the iPhone so surely Hesse is lying¡
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #6 of 48
It's why I switched to crap AT&T

Can't wait to switch back
post #7 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

But Android is so much better in usage, features and sales than the iPhone so surely Hesse is lying.

/sarcasm

(Figured I'll help you out before people pile on. You're welcome. )
post #8 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

/sarcasm

(Figured I'll help you out before people pile on. You're welcome. )

He has an accepted punctuation already, though.

Personally, I prefer the other one.

So don't worry. People will know what he's talking about⸮ They can't miss it⸮

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #9 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Why would people be leaving Sprint?

They have long been the bastion of Android handsets, which are "winning".

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

But Android is so much better in usage, features and sales than the iPhone so surely Hesse is lying¡

Makes you wonder. Who is buying all these Android phones?!
post #10 of 48
Oh, Dan.

I went to AT&T for the iPhone, sure.

But I left Sprint because of the abysmal (and somehow even that word seems inadequate) customer service.
post #11 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarlton View Post

Oh, Dan.

I went to AT&T for the iPhone, sure.

But I left Sprint because of the abysmal (and somehow even that word seems inadequate) customer service.

and the fraudulent billing charges.

"Apple people have no objectivity when it comes to criticism of Apple.." Lenovo X1 Carbon is out..bye bye MBAir

Reply

"Apple people have no objectivity when it comes to criticism of Apple.." Lenovo X1 Carbon is out..bye bye MBAir

Reply
post #12 of 48
iPhone + Sprint?
It's a trap!

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #13 of 48
Yes, it is amazing that while all these CEOs are admitting that the iPhone nailed their businesses big time the Android crowd continues to assert that Android is kicking iOS's rear end from here to the South Pole. Sometimes I wonder just who is drinking the Kool-Aid these days and who's RDF is the strongest.
post #14 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

and the fraudulent billing charges.

+1

Sprint switching to Nextel's billing system drove me over the edge. Then the iPhone 3 was announced... I didn't look back. They lost over $200USd a month from me and my family (was 5, now 4 with 3 data plans) phones.
post #15 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

iPhone + Sprint?
It's a trap!

In the style of Tallest Skil

Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #16 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Makes you wonder. Who is buying all these Android phones?!

Nerds and the poor.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #17 of 48
Sprint says iPhone is the top reason it loses customer? That's why the leadership makes the big bucks. Let's see AT&T lose a big chunk of their customers if Sprint gets the iPhone and if they don't adjust their prices.


All I know is my AT&T contract expires in thirty days and someone better persuade me to give them my business.
post #18 of 48
Don't flatter yourself Sprint. You sucked way before the iPhone came along. I wouldn't switch back to Sprint if they became the only company to offer the iPhone. They walked away with hundreds of my dollars and kept accusing me of trying to rip THEM off.

Long story short. Had a Samsung A900 (flip phone/razor knockoff). I was going on vacation, so I added bluetooth tethering for the EVDO service. Without telling me, they took away my voice service, charging me some ridiculous per minute charge. I was on autopay and didn't notice there was a problem until my bank account was drained. I spent weeks on the phone and never got my money back.

\
post #19 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

But Android is so much better in usage, features and sales than the iPhone so surely Hesse is lying¡

According to asymco's article, most Android devices serves as door stop that display ads.
Fun and relaxing way to prepare Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) test with Juku Apps
Reply
Fun and relaxing way to prepare Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) test with Juku Apps
Reply
post #20 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

But Android is so much better in usage, features and sales than the iPhone so surely Hesse is lying¡

Added irony mark, not that more than a handful of people know what it means

So is that an inverted exclaimation mark?
Did't there used to be an Apple supplied "KeyCaps"-like application in the Utility folder that I could use to find that out for myself? What happened to that?
post #21 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuwafuwa View Post

According to asymco's article, most Android devices serves as door stop that display ads.

Well that's a stretch. But then again us poor nerds probably can't afford data plans. /s

(Notice how the ad impressions seem to mirror the paid/free ratio of apps for each platform? Probably not a coincidence. Only place I see ads is an app. Unless you think Android phones randomly display ads throughout the day?)
post #22 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post

Sprint says iPhone is the top reason it loses customer? That's why the leadership makes the big bucks. Let's see AT&T lose a big chunk of their customers if Sprint gets the iPhone and if they don't adjust their prices.


All I know is my AT&T contract expires in thirty days and someone better persuade me to give them my business.

I was under the impression that in the US, AT&T has a more favorable contract for the iPhone than Verizon. Is this wrong?
(BTW, In the Chicago area I have found Verizon's reception to be inferior to US Cellular [for regular cell phones.])
post #23 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

In the style of Tallest Skil


Ah, reaction images.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #24 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

So is that an inverted exclaimation mark?
Did't there used to be an Apple supplied "KeyCaps"-like application in the Utility folder that I could use to find that out for myself? What happened to that?

I dont't know of a Mac OS app to find the meaning, but Wikiepdia is a good resource…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony_punctuation In post #8 Tallest Skil used the backwards question mark (not upside-down question mark) as shown in the Wiki link. I prefer not to use Henry Denham's irony mark and instead use the Ethipoin temherte slaqî due to it's easy accessibility on an Apple US keyboard: hold down Option key and press 1 on the number row.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #25 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

So is that an inverted exclaimation mark?
Did't there used to be an Apple supplied "KeyCaps"-like application in the Utility folder that I could use to find that out for myself? What happened to that?

¡ = option-1

It may be in different places, depending on your cat of choice. In Lion it's in the Keyboard Preference Pane - check the "Show Keyboard & Character Viewers in menu bar" box.

You'll see the flag of the country's input method - US flag, etc - at the top, pull down from there.
post #26 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

He has an accepted punctuation already, though.

Personally, I prefer the other one.

So don't worry. People will know what he's talking about⸮ They can't miss it⸮

Hmmm.... look at his post that I had replied to..... no ¡
post #27 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarlton View Post

¡ = option-1

It may be in different places, depending on your cat of choice. In Lion it's in the Keyboard Preference Pane - check the "Show Keyboard & Character Viewers in menu bar" box.

You'll see the flag of the country's input method - US flag, etc - at the top, pull down from there.

That is what I was thinking of, I guess. I was thinking there was something I could paste a character into and find out what it was. Maybe this is wishful thinking or perhaps I'm remembering some obscure 3rd party utility from the past.
post #28 of 48
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I dont't know of a Mac OS app to find the meaning, but Wikiepdia is a good resource
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony_punctuation In post #8 Tallest Skil used the backwards question mark (not upside-dwon question mark) as shown in the Wiki link. I prefer not to use Henry Denham's irony mark and instead use the Ethipoin temherte slaqî due to it's easy accessibility on an Apple US keyboard: Hold down Option key and press 1 on the number row.
post #29 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

He has an accepted punctuation already, though.

Personally, I prefer the other one.

So don't worry. People will know what he's talking about⸮ They can't miss it⸮

iOS 5 on an iPad shows those as squares. Bug report time... ⸮
post #30 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"Adjust our guidance" = "We'll be dropping the unlimited plan."

Both are correct.

They have to adjust their model to compete with the other two. The iPhone allows them to adjust and expand, not Android.
post #31 of 48
Is Android bigger among the NASCAR crowd?
post #32 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInsider2 View Post

It's why I switched to crap AT&T

Can't wait to switch back

Me too, I remember the customer service tried to talk me into keeping Sprint. AT&T does stink, it is truly pitiful and I can't wait to switch back to Sprint or give Verizon a try.
post #33 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

iOS 5 on an iPad shows those as squares. Bug report time... ⸮

iOS 4.3.5 on iPad shows it as squares too.
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
post #34 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Nerds and the poor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Is Android bigger among the NASCAR crowd?

Just a heads up. Owning Apple products and falling to your knees praising them doesn't make you any better than anyone.

You lot can love whatever you want but this smug elitist mentality I've seen among SOME of you is sad and pathetic.


Suggesting owning an iPhone somehow indicates you are smarter or rich is stupid (not just you) and you are living vicariously through a few statistics points.

You are not special. You are definitely not unique. You are a consumer making rich men richer. You will die the same as the poor kid who is happy as hell to get a cheap Android phone (or the rich Android fan who gets an expensive Android phone) because that's all his poor mother could afford. You are nothing all the same.

Get over yourselves.

/semi-rant
post #35 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

Just a heads up. Owning Apple products and falling to your knees praising them doesn't make you any better than anyone.

You lot can love whatever you want but this smug elitist mentality I've seen among SOME of you is sad and pathetic.


Suggesting owning an iPhone somehow indicates you are smarter or rich is stupid (not just you) and you are living vicariously through a few statistics points.

You are not special. You are definitely not unique. You are a consumer making rich men richer. You will die the same as the poor kid who is happy as hell to get a cheap Android phone (or the rich Android fan who gets an expensive Android phone) because that's all his poor mother could afford. You are nothing all the same.

Get over yourselves.

/semi-rant

Lol.

To the point, its facts pointed out by the Sprint CEO that makes me wonder why Apple isn't on all carriers yet. They are simply hastening the demise of the non Big 2 carriers, which will make it harder for them to negotiate in the future. Apple really needs to get onto all carriers so they have someone to negotiate with in the future.
post #36 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

You are not special. You are definitely not unique. You are a consumer making rich men richer. You will die the same as the poor kid who is happy as hell to get a cheap Android phone (or the rich Android fan who gets an expensive Android phone) because that's all his poor mother could afford. You are nothing all the same.

Wow! Something must have hit the nerve.
post #37 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

and the fraudulent billing charges.

...is why I left Verizon (plus all the "Call Was Lost" calls)
post #38 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Wow! Something must has hit the nerve.

It's a mindset that is poison to the entire world. Dehumanizing people by placing them within a false hierarchy to make yourself feel more special, more worthy, etc.

Not an exclusively iPhone owner thing but it's something that shouldn't permeate into topics such as this. It's bad enough in politics, race, religion, etc. But when you have Apple fans deeming Android fans as lesser beings or some sick Android fan wishing for the death of Steve Jobs something is clearly wrong on all sides.

I'm hardly a mediator and my Android bias is evident but reason should always apply everywhere. Reason and compassion are keys to the long term survival of humanity period and day by day, year by year they seem to decrease amongst the general populace.
post #39 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInsider2 View Post

It's why I switched to crap AT&T

Can't wait to switch back

may i ask u a ? why is AT&T crap? I'm a sprint cust of 12 yrs and leaving because of all they have put in place and the changes lately. Plus in the past couple months its trying to keep a call going, random outages, you can see this on the sprint forums, no explanation from sprint. Thanx John....AT&T was one i was looking at changing to is why i ask...
post #40 of 48
Don't know where Dan Hesse get his info, he forgot to say the piss poor CSR, some are bullies, charges that show up on bill where it takes several calls to get straight, the latest is all the changes they put into affect. The 10 buck(smart phone fee) that you are charged per phone, u pay it if u don't have 4g, (class action now in court) The outages everywhere, dropped calls like crazy, this is all in the sprint forums. I been with them 12 yrs and leaving. So all u people thinking of going back check them out first. So Dan, it is not the iPhone , wait til this quarter wanna see a churn rate, your decisions has peeved off a lot of people.....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Sprint says iPhone is the top reason it loses customers