or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung vows to step up legal action against Apple for 'free riding' on its inventions

Samsung vows to step up legal action against Apple for 'free riding' on its inventions - Page 6

post #201 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by stereopmax View Post

Sorry... The Korean tradition is to copy what works and make it as cheap possible, case in point. The Hyundai Equus.. When i first saw this car in South Korea I could not believe that they could get away with such a thing. But they did. I guess it's because Lexus did not patent it's design.

Apple did receive protection for it's design.

Imagine Samsung is your biggest supplier providing processors, memory and displays for your new product. In very short order your supplier copies your design to the point that in certain ways it becomes nearly indistinguishable from your own. From the case to the touchwiz operating system right down to the box it ships in. Then they go on to sell them by the boat load. Anyone that can't see the case here is blind.

For certain without the iPhone and iPad there would be no Galaxy at all.

If patent laws and litigation can not address this case for what it is then you may as well go out and copy what ever you want.

Samsung has no choice but to step up the fight. However I believe that they are going to take a well deserved beating on this one.

I have a solution for you:

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

post #202 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

I have a solution for you:

Look me in the metaphorical eye and tell me that this isn't intentional. Look. Me. In. The. Eye.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #203 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Look me in the metaphorical eye and tell me that this isn't intentional. Look. Me. In. The. Eye.

Pretty damning. I am convinced. Those who imitate art so closely should be ashamed. Who gave them the right to simply usurp someone else's hard work? Well, let's see how Samsung learned this behavior. Some of you are not above racial stereotyping and claim this is *Korean* behavior. But you're missing your own point. According to you, Samsung copies Apple on EVERYTHING. And damned if you are not right. Samsung is copying Apple's own practice of copying!

Here's a photograph by Louis Psihoyos:

And here's an image from the Apple TV campaign:

What's really *innovative* about this situation is that Apple was negotiating with the photographer for the right to use this photograph but went ahead to use it before completion of negotiations.

So all of youz are right. Samsung copies everything Apple does, including the art of blatant, flagrant abuse of copyright.

I actually think Samsung has gone a bit far in shadowing Apple. But Look. Me. In. The. Eye. and tell me Apple has not gone as far or farther.

Tell me once again how Apple innovates and everyone else imitates? In case you try to whitewash Apple's hand in this, there are plenty more examples. Apple is indeed innovative in many ways. But don't pretend they are not above imitation and deliberate infringement of patents, trademarks and copyrights. After all, it was Steve Jobs himself who has admitted, bragged on more than one occasion that Apple was not above stealing ideas.
post #204 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Tell me once again how Apple innovates and everyone else imitates? In case you try to whitewash Apple's hand in this, there are plenty more examples. Apple is indeed innovative in many ways. But don't pretend they are not above imitation and deliberate infringement of patents, trademarks and copyrights. After all, it was Steve Jobs himself who has admitted, bragged on more than one occasion that Apple was not above stealing ideas.

Ridiculous, this is just a cynical nihilism like saying "Mother Theresa also had original sin, therefore don't tell me is a better person than Bernie Madoff or the Unabomber. She once failed to tip a bellhop." A nihilist would completely agree, there is no such thing as quality or the existence of originality. Apple clearly invented more than most other companies in the world today. They are a generator of some of the world's most valuable IP. But, they still have no right to take credit for it. Nobody can take credit for anything in the universe. I see what you did there. And a clearer case of IP infringement would be? When in a thousand years could it be clearer? And if Apple doesn't create marketable IP, who does?
post #205 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwik View Post

Apple clearly invented more than most other companies in the world today.

Really? Clearly? Based on what metric?

Quote:

They are a generator of some of the world's most valuable IP.

The most valuable? Which IP would that be? Multitouch, for example? Nope, they didn't generate that. GUI on a phone? They didn't invent that. Full screen smartphone. Someone else beat them to that as well. Don't get me wrong. They have generated mucho IP. But I'm curious to hear what subset of their internally generated IP would be the world's most valuable? You must be thinking of the rectangle. Hmmm ...

Quote:

And if Apple doesn't create marketable IP, who does?

Umm, no one said that. In fact, I explicitly said Apple was an innovative company. But I see what you did here. Nice try.
post #206 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjb View Post

Strange how come this App Store images at the Samsung booth?

That's a good question that no one seems to just be asking. It's that question then a shitload of speculation without knowing enough details.
post #207 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-range View Post

Maybe this helps you understand why no foundry will voluntarily turn down Apple's business.

It depends on how little Apple is willing to pay. My understanding is that Apple gets very good deals.

Neither you or I know whether or how much profit Samsung is currently making by producing chips for Apple vs. other customers.
post #208 of 216
Quote:

Standard fandroid response: "So now Apple owns a patent on rounded corners?"

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #209 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Standard fandroid response: "So now Apple owns a patent on rounded corners?"

Just on those with a radius of 25 pixels.

post #210 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I would say this is a reasonable assessment.

Samsung seems to be acting really quite stupidly here. Their lawyers are making arguments that are patently ridiculous on the face of it.

Usually when that happens (when smart lawyers make dumb statements, and big otherwise smart companies do dumb things), it's a reflection of a top-down, patriarchal kind of management structure.

If one dumb guy at the top can make moves that the whole company follows (despite how dumb they are), it's because they are both scared of the leader and at the same time not empowered enough to do anything about it themselves. That alone is evidence of a broken culture within the company.

That s a very good assessment on how Samsung works.
post #211 of 216
All I can say to that comment is "what a load of crap" you Apple fanboys really need to get a dose of reality and also move out of the States.
post #212 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderPig View Post

All I can say to that comment is "what a load of crap" you Apple fanboys really need to get a dose of reality and also move out of the States.

Hey, troll. We'll be seeing very little of you very soon.

post #213 of 216
deleted
post #214 of 216
deleted
post #215 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Perhaps because most other companies aren't in the invention business.

Of those that are, Apple ranks 46:
http://www.lotempiolaw.com/2011/01/a...tents-in-2010/

I'm not sure that number of patents awarded is a good metric for inventing useful or desirable things though. Quantity over quality etc.. However, interestingly, Apple is no.1 in gains on that scale. Percentage gainers on the 2010's Top 50 Companies Awarded a Patent List:

Apple, +94%
Qualcomm, +84%
NEC, +74%
SAP, +70 %
GM Global Technology, +68%
Hynix Semiconductor, +65%
Silverbrook Research, +58%
3M Innovative Properties, +53%
Toyota, +50%
Brother, +45%
Hon Hai Precision Industry, +44%
LG Electronics, +40%
post #216 of 216
Quote:

as far as I have read, are considered "successes" when they only have TEN LINES OF DEAD PIXELS and are nowhere near the stage where they'd be put into any product, consumer or otherwise.

Hope I'm wrong, though (here's where you link me to a story where they've created one that doesn't suck). I've always liked the flexible display idea.

Samsung is apparently well along in it's flexible AMOLED display development, announcing that they'll be in use in consumer products beginning next year. The hottest rumor is a Samsung Galaxy Skin smartphone supposedly in development for 2012 launch.

http://9to5google.com/2011/10/28/sam...lays-for-2012/
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung vows to step up legal action against Apple for 'free riding' on its inventions