or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple still looking into lingering issues with 24-in. Cinema Display & Thunderbolt
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple still looking into lingering issues with 24-in. Cinema Display & Thunderbolt

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
Issues when connecting a 24-inch Cinema Display to a Thunderbolt port have persisted since the high-speed data and video port debuted early this year, but there is an indication that Apple is aware of the problem and working on a fix.

A growing thread on the Apple Support Communities website is filled with users who have experienced issues with their 24-inch Cinema Displays when used with a Thunderbolt port on a new Mac. The thread began in February, just after the new MacBook Pros were released, and new posts continue to be added regularly with users who have experienced screen flickering on the discontinued 24-inch display.

AppleInsider reader David Batista sent an e-mail on Friday explaining his own similar issues experienced with multiple 24-inch displays that he owns. He said that none of the Cinema Displays can be used with his new MacBook Pro equipped with Thunderbolt.

"I myself have been on the phone with Apple at least six times now over this," he wrote. "All they can say is that the engineers are looking into it and hopefully they can find a fix soon."

Batista said he's surprised a fix hasn't been issued considering Thunderbolt ports have been added to new Macs released throughout 2011. The 24-inch Cinema Display was discontinued in 2010 along with the 30-inch model. Apple now offers a single display at 27 inches.



An updated 27-inch model, dubbed a "Thunderbolt Display," was unveiled by Apple in July. It features Thunderbolt I/O and built-in docking cables for Mac notebooks, and is available for $999. Orders for the display began shipping last week.

Before Thunderbolt was released this year, Apple's Cinema Displays were driven by the Mini DisplayPort standard Apple has included in its Macs for years. Thunderbolt ports are the same size as Mini DisplayPort, and are mean to be backward-compatible with earlier hardware, while newer Thunderbolt-equipped devices can handle both video and data over the same 10Gbps copper cable.
post #2 of 22
Not good, Apple, not good.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #3 of 22
The thunderbolt display got into the hands of consumers this week, but has issues that have been lingering around for months?

That makes no sense at all.
post #4 of 22
How is this new news. I have been having flickering issues with my 24" Cinema display before thunderbolt came out and no one was able to help with the problem. Hopefully they come out with a fix soon. Almost two years with a flickering problem for an $800 display is annoying.
post #5 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

The thunderbolt display got into the hands of consumers this week, but has issues that have been lingering around for months?

That makes no sense at all.

The issue that has been lingering is that Apple displays with mDP are not reliably working with Macs released this year with Thunderbolt ports.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #6 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"I myself have been on the phone with Apple at least six times now over this," he wrote. "All they can say is that the engineers are looking into it and hopefully they can find a fix soon."

Want some cheese with that whine?

Get a 27 inch TBolt display. Problem solved.
post #7 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Want some cheese with that whine?

Get a 27 inch TBolt display. Problem solved.

I don't think that's a fair comment. If you buy a 2011 Mac that has the same exact port interface for your monitor that is supposed to work with mDP signaling it's not unreasonable to expect your mBP monitor to function properly. Saying that customers should ditch their old display and fork over another grand isn't reasonable.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #8 of 22
I also had the same issue everyone else is talking about. However, my experience, it worked fine with a 27" Cinema Display. Anyway, I took my display in to an Apple Dealer, they replaced everything. Then I called Apple.

45 minutes later, they agreed to ship me a new 27" Thunderbolt Cinema Display. From my understanding, I am not the first to get a new display from them. Maybe the first to get a new Thunderbolt display.

So, my display is in transit right now and my old display is being picked up form the shop.
post #9 of 22
I have the problem as well, and I'd be more than willing to accept a brand new Thunderbolt display as a replacement for free. I mean, you know...


If they wanted to offer that..

Just saying.

Yes, totally kidding......... Kinda.
post #10 of 22
The image in the main article is not accurate. Thunderbolt display has only two cablesone for the power supply, the other being the Thunderbolt hookup (assuming that you're plugging it into a Thunderbolt-capable computer). The one here shows power supply, MiniDisplay Port and USB.
post #11 of 22
. . .
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by emoeric87 View Post

The image in the main article is not accurate. Thunderbolt display has only two cablesone for the power supply, the other being the Thunderbolt hookup (assuming that you're plugging it into a Thunderbolt-capable computer). The one here shows power supply, MiniDisplay Port and USB.

Reread the article.... The Thunderbolt Display is only 27". The 24" is the older model.

Thanks not harpooning me about my mistake.
post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The issue that has been lingering is that Apple displays with mDP are not reliably working with Macs released this year with Thunderbolt ports.

Thanks for explaining. What an apallingly written article. Talks about a problem but doesn't clarify what the problem is or clearly explain what it affects!
post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by khenleywrfr View Post

I also had the same issue everyone else is talking about. However, my experience, it worked fine with a 27" Cinema Display. Anyway, I took my display in to an Apple Dealer, they replaced everything. Then I called Apple.

45 minutes later, they agreed to ship me a new 27" Thunderbolt Cinema Display. From my understanding, I am not the first to get a new display from them. Maybe the first to get a new Thunderbolt display.

So, my display is in transit right now and my old display is being picked up form the shop.

You're lucky in my opinion. I literally just got off the phone with Apple and cited other customer experiences like yours and they told me that "if in fact that did happen" it wasn't through Apple customer care and they couldn't do that for me. This is so frustrating it almost makes me want to go back to PCs and Microsoft.
post #15 of 22
they are still having problems with tht? well there have been lots of updates, so at least apple has been working on it. What more can they do, i mean at least they are working on it and not leaving us to hang like jerks.
post #16 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbatista View Post

You're lucky in my opinion. I literally just got off the phone with Apple and cited other customer experiences like yours and they told me that "if in fact that did happen" it wasn't through Apple customer care and they couldn't do that for me. This is so frustrating it almost makes me want to go back to PCs and Microsoft.

Ditto. Just called in and mentioned I'm having this same problem. Gave the serial numbers of my computer and monitor which are both under warranty and they said they'd tell the engineers as if this was some new issue they'd never heard of before.
post #17 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by pettiger15 View Post

How is this new news. I have been having flickering issues with my 24" Cinema display before thunderbolt came out and no one was able to help with the problem. Hopefully they come out with a fix soon. Almost two years with a flickering problem for an $800 display is annoying.


You're right! I have had flickering problems with my 24" Cinema Display too since the day I bought it. All sorts of things were changed. It doesn't flicker as much so I just live with it. Still is a beautiful display!
post #18 of 22
You guys should have learned by now, Apple has had tons of trouble with displays. Anyone remember the uniformity issues with the old 23" cinema displays? There are better choices for around the same price.
post #19 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbatista View Post

You're lucky in my opinion. I literally just got off the phone with Apple and cited other customer experiences like yours and they told me that "if in fact that did happen" it wasn't through Apple customer care and they couldn't do that for me. This is so frustrating it almost makes me want to go back to PCs and Microsoft.

I have Applecare, maybe I should have mentioned that!
post #20 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by khenleywrfr View Post

I have Applecare, maybe I should have mentioned that!

Applecare is so worth it. Apple should just give Applecare with every purchase, even if they have to raise the product price. It is a good value, and adding it in to all products make them a better value than before, despite the slightly higher price.
post #21 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmm View Post

You guys should have learned by now, Apple has had tons of trouble with displays. Anyone remember the uniformity issues with the old 23" cinema displays? There are better choices for around the same price.

Which ones have TB ports?
post #22 of 22
By the way, I received my new 27" Display just before they released the 'fix' for the flicker issue. Needless to say, I was happy to have received it before then.

Applecare is VERY worth while!! Though, I have to say, that is the first time that I have ever, in 15 years, had to have any work done on my Apple equipment.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple still looking into lingering issues with 24-in. Cinema Display & Thunderbolt