or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple may hold iPhone 5 event in smaller venue on Cupertino campus

Apple may hold iPhone 5 event in smaller venue on Cupertino campus - Page 3

post #81 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I've not seen said marketing campaign, unless you mean the ads where they happen to mention it as one of half a dozen or so features. And it's not as if marketing doesn't to sell people on things they don't need.

If it really was such a big deal as you suggest, I doubt VZW would have more subscribers than anyone else.

I do know that people talking in a forum don't represent the user community as a whole, but rather a subgroup.

As yet, I'm not finding survey results that show it's a popular feature.

Have you lived under a rock for the past 4 years? The ads with Luke Wilson where the other guy had two phones so he could talk and web? The ad with the guy at the office working late whose wife calls about their anniversary dinner? These ads are EVERYWHERE and have been for years.

If you haven't noticed those ridiculously carpet-bombed ads, it's not surprising to me that you haven't noticed people talking while using their iPhones for other things.
post #82 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

You saying you don't (think you) see people use it doesn't prove anything either. You see the person across the street with the headphones playing with the device in their hands, how do you know they're not on a phone call at that moment? I doubt you're actually asking these strangers about their usage, you're just assuming. So what we have is a bunch of users directly saying they use it, you saying you use it, and you saying you haven't confirmed many other people using it.

I didn't say it was proof. I am asking for proof, one way or another. I'm saying people talking capability seems fishy, like a talking point.

Someone with headphones but not talking for long periods, but still being on the phone, is possible, but seems like an unlikely story
post #83 of 115
Quote:

Have you lived under a rock for the past 4 years? The ads with Luke Wilson where the other guy had two phones so he could talk and web? The ad with the guy at the office working late whose wife calls about their anniversary dinner? These ads are EVERYWHERE and have been for years.

If you haven't noticed those ridiculously carpet-bombed ads, it's not surprising to me that you haven't noticed people talking while using their iPhones for other things.

That doesn't say anything in itself, Luke Wilson is annoying and I usually skip his ads. The few ads of his I've seen mention the feature, but as one of many features, not say, the whole ad for itself.
post #84 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Here is another anecdote: I've never used my external display port on any Mac notebook I've owned. Yet I don't think Mac notebooks would be better by not having that option for those that do use it.

I didn't say it would be better without, so no, your analogy doesn't fit as you state. If you said, most people wouldn't be worse off without it, then it would fit what I said. Not that I know it's true.

Quote:
I can't imagine not having the option for simultaneous voice and data. If Verizon and Sprint don't offer a solution then I will remain on AT&T. There is no better option for my needs.

Their 4G phones do appear to offer it now.
post #85 of 115
Quote:

I didn't say it was proof. I am asking for proof, one way or another. I'm saying people talking capability seems fishy, like a talking point.

You're a smart guy, so why are you bothering to ask for something that you surely know does not exist? Just trying to argue?
post #86 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Perhaps this could also indicate that the products being unveiled will be smaller and less impressive than we had hoped. An iPhone 4 with a faster GPU isn't really going to be worth renting an enormous conference room for.

I doubt it. Why have a media event in the first place then? Usually a new CEO likes to make changes that reflect his style. Apple's new CEO may want to simply get the media used to coming to their campus. Especially since they'll have a new campuse later this decade.
post #87 of 115
Quote:

You're a smart guy, so why are you bothering to ask for something that you surely know does not exist? Just trying to argue?

I don't understand the accusation. I thought you just argued that such information probably does exist. It wasn't to start a long argument. I do find that assumptions need to be challenged on occasion.

The closest I've found is this:
http://testkitchen.colorado.edu/proj...tphone-survey/
It almost seems like they wanted to ask the question but didn't bother.
post #88 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Perhaps this could also indicate that the products being unveiled will be smaller and less impressive than we had hoped. An iPhone 4 with a faster GPU isn't really going to be worth renting an enormous conference room for.

I think you are right that the 'event' will be smaller, but not because of the technology. My guess is that it confirms that Steve will not be presenting. Too bad.

Another Steve
The truth will set you free.
The truth will set you free.
post #89 of 115
Quote:

I don't understand the accusation. I thought you just argued that such information probably does exist. It wasn't to start a long argument. I do find that assumptions need to be challenged on occasion..

You thought I was arguing that the information exists? I was just saying that people do it, and that fact is self evident based on the people who have to put their money where their mouth is (ATT) probably having better information than forum posters.

You're arbitrarily challenging an assumption for which we've seen no evidence to the contrary. Have fun with that. The "data" you want doesn't exist, so you'll either be unsatisfied or you'll acknowledge that the reality already makes the answer clear. People use it, ATT markets it as a differentiating factor, and all the anecdotes you've heard here tonight support it.
post #90 of 115
Wasn't it last year when the iPhone4 was introduced that Steve got so frustrated with all the interference? Maybe these next phones have a lot more reliance on cloud services and didn't want any complications so they could show off the features?
post #91 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by euler View Post

Wasn't it last year when the iPhone4 was introduced that Steve got so frustrated with all the interference? Maybe these next phones have a lot more reliance on cloud services and didn't want any complications so they could show off the features?

Yeah, good logic. Or.... they could just not provide public wifi hot spots. Probably too hard for Apple to get a hold of a Microcell.

They're going small for simple reasons, not complicated ones.
post #92 of 115
The reason Apple will use the Cupertino campus is Oracle Openworld is scheduled for October 2-6 and uses every Moscone property, hotel, etc. The event is massive and would not allow for press to stay downtown prior to the event.
post #93 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasapple View Post

The reason Apple will use the Cupertino campus is Oracle Openworld is scheduled for October 2-6 and uses every Moscone property, hotel, etc. The event is massive and would not allow for press to stay downtown prior to the event.

That and Apple has never used anything from Moscone for anything but WWDC since they stopped going to MacWorld and was never going to use Moscone for this event at any point.
post #94 of 115
Quote:

Yeah, good logic. Or.... they could just not provide public wifi hot spots.

They're going small for simple reasons, not complicated ones.

It wasn't that Apple provided any wifi when that problem cropped up, it was people who brought their own myfi devices and clogged up all of the wireless channels and spectrum which had nothing to do with bandwidth issues of the backend network that Apple was trying to utilize. There were hundreds of cellular hotspots causing the interference.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #95 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

It wasn't that Apple provided any wifi when that problem cropped up, it was people who brought their own myfi devices and clogged up all of the wireless channels and spectrum which had nothing to do with bandwidth issues of the backend network that Apple was trying to utilize. There were hundreds of cellular hotspots causing the interference.

Ah, it's been too long. Anyway that's fine, it's a private event, so simply coat check those devices at the door (cell phones and all) like it's a courtroom. Or custom configure the stage iphones to operate on a private frequency somehow.
post #96 of 115
Quote:

Ah, it's been too long. Anyway that's fine, it's a private event, so simply coat check those devices at the door (cell phones and all) like it's a courtroom. Or custom configure the stage iphones to operate on a private frequency somehow.

That and we'll only have the media there, which likely won't be more than a hundred people.
post #97 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That and we'll only have the media there, which likely won't be more than a hundred people.

Yep. I've never understood the point of launching these things in huge convention halls. The ONLY difference is huge rounds of applause vs normal applause. After 5 minutes have passed, the size of the applause has nothing to do with public reception of the device in question. Why not save the money and do it in your own room? How many millions are those rounds of applause worth?
post #98 of 115
Quote:

Yep. I've never understood the point of launching these things in huge convention halls.

WWDC is for developers. 5,000 people can't fit in Apple's auditorium.

Everything else is at Yerba Buena, which is basically in between.
post #99 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

WWDC is for developers. 5,000 people can't fit in Apple's auditorium.

Everything else is at Yerba Buena, which is basically in between.

I guess I'm just not in an industry dominated by conventions. I don't see why a huge convention hall needs to be rented just so a bunch of dummies can sit and listen to a speech. That information is then disseminated to hundreds of millions electronically. What difference does it make if 5000 or 50 are IN the actual room where it's happening?
post #100 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

Hmmm...small venue = small announcement. We will probably only see an iPhone 4S this year.

I believe the original iPod was announced at a small press gathering on Apple's campus. Of course, Apple didn't know it would take the world by storm and lead to Apple's prosperity in the post-PC era.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #101 of 115
True or not, it doesn't really matter as long as they livestream the event. Everyone in the world will know about the release same day or the next day at the latest.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #102 of 115
Quote:

I don't expect Apple to be promoting the longer acronyms.

I wonder how many people would really care about that bit. Using voice and data simultaneously would require using a headset, which I've almost never seen anyone use, or speakerphone, which is really telling the other end that you hate them.

I do it all the time.
post #103 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

I do it all the time.

Me too. I almost always have my Shure in-ear phones on so one could only tell if I was on a call if I were talking to the cabled mic dangling just below my face. Usually my time on the phone is spent on hold with some call center or another waiting where I entertain myself by accessing various internet-based apps.

I'm quite sure I sure I'd miss it because every now and then I end up in an EDGE '2G' area when I make/take a call and therefore unable to effectively access these apps. It makes it crystal clear how important simultaneous voice and data means to me.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #104 of 115
Apple's Town Hall located around IL4 is a bit small IMO for a proposed big event like iPhone5 introduction. Funny thing is that almost everyone jump on the bandwagon saying Apple will announce either iPhone4S or iPhone5 around October. We all will know for sure when we get the invitation from Apple about the event.
post #105 of 115
Quote:

Luke Wilson is annoying and I usually skip his ads.

sounds like you secretly love Luke Wilson
post #106 of 115

But of course, old chaps... As I postulated previously in the delightful Tim Cook thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

It's too late for the 27th... It would be quite last minute for Apple.

Quote:

Apple might do it at their own campus to keep things tightly under wraps...Maybe because it's Cook's first big "do" they might keep it at Apple so they have max control over the presentation and hardware... Keeping the guest list highly selective, that will drive the frenzy and hype up even more than if they had a big venue.
post #107 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by euler View Post

Very, very good point.
post #108 of 115
Quote:

I guess I'm just not in an industry dominated by conventions. I don't see why a huge convention hall needs to be rented just so a bunch of dummies can sit and listen to a speech. That information is then disseminated to hundreds of millions electronically. What difference does it make if 5000 or 50 are IN the actual room where it's happening?

See above. Basically you want just the right size... Not too small, 50 is too small to fit all the "big media names" in, but of course 1000 may be more than is necessary to disseminate the information.

Right, now, Apple could sell tickets for $500 a pop just for the iPhone unveiling and get 5,000 people easy. But that's not how Apple rolls.

Their strategy is this:
1. "Engage" ie. maintain good relationships with key traditional local and international media, plus bloggers.
2. Highlight key features of iOS5 and reveal iPhone5 and iPhone4S (replacing iPhone3GS)
3. Talk about availability and rollout eg. China perhaps
4. Manage Tim Cook's first big show
5. Leading up and through this all maintain top security control and top connection (WiFi, Cell, etc.) control.

Taking all these factors into account a few hundred people is just about the right number. You can't have it be too exclusive, because then the bloggers will be bitching about not being allowed to attend rather than writing about the product.

Again, I am leaning towards the event being held on Apple's campus because as is being noted Yerba Buena and Moscone are already booked for the likely dates, and Apple wants maximum proximity and control for this one. iPhone has good momentum but iPhone 5 should be maximised in terms of how all the other players are imploding. Followed up with the sucker punch of iPad 3 to set Apple storming into 2012-2013 and the global financial apocalypse.
post #109 of 115
Quote:

Again, I am leaning towards the event being held on Apple's campus because as is being noted Yerba Buena and Moscone are already booked for the likely dates. . .

Yerba Buena is available according to this schedule of events.
http://www.ybca.org/calendar?date%5B...10&date%5Bmax%
melior diabolus quem scies
post #110 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Yerba Buena is available according to this schedule of events.
http://www.ybca.org/calendar?date%5B...10&date%5Bmax%

The above shows events which take place in many different areas of Yerba Buena, but fair enough it's only clear that Moscone is likely unavailable ( http://www.moscone.com/site/do/event/list ... not likely Apple would squeeze in around those dates).

Has anyone actually tried calling up Yerba Buena to ask what's happening during the proposed dates at their main theatre space where Apple holds their announcements?
post #111 of 115
Here's what 9to5Mac claims to positively know about the soon-to-be-revealed latest iPhone.
What's 9to5's batting average been? I don't know how reliable their claims have been.

http://9to5mac.com/2011/09/26/the-new-iphone/
post #112 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Here's what 9to5Mac claims to positively know about the soon-to-be-revealed latest iPhone.
What's 9to5's batting average been? I don't know how reliable their claims have been.

Haven't read the article yet: I'm just saying this as an overview.

When they say it's from Mr. X, it's right. They DO have a source in Apple, and he's pretty far up there.

Otherwise, they're rereporting stuff just like everyone else does. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but if they don't say it's from Mr. X, that's what the post is.
post #113 of 115
Ai could post an update that simply said "the" and you would get 10 pages of heated debate. Let it go, people. Let it go.
post #114 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotScott View Post

Ai could post an update that simply said "the" and you would get 10 pages of heated debate. Let it go, people. Let it go.

It's pronounced THEE! "THEE egg!" "THEE completely nonsensical and blown out of proportion debate!"
post #115 of 115
Quote:

Again, I am leaning towards the event being held on Apple's campus because as is being noted Yerba Buena and Moscone are already booked for the likely dates, and Apple wants maximum proximity and control for this one. iPhone has good momentum but iPhone 5 should be maximised in terms of how all the other players are imploding. Followed up with the sucker punch of iPad 3 to set Apple storming into 2012-2013 and the global financial apocalypse.

Boom! Apple in tight control with Tim Cook on home ground.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple may hold iPhone 5 event in smaller venue on Cupertino campus