or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Software › Quicktime stopped working

Quicktime stopped working

post #1 of 7
A couple of weeks ago I tried to play one of my old videos (an MP4) off my hard drive and a pop-up came up and told me I needed to install Quicktime 7 to work. So I clicked on the install button and it seemed to download something but I don't remember going through any installation.

Since then, I can't seem to play embedded Quicktime movies. For instance, this AppleInsider article seems to have a video, but all I see is the Quicktime logo with a question mark over it. I can still play those videos on my hard drive, but embedded ones don't seem to play now.

In Spotlight, when I search "Quicktime" it shows both QuickTime Player and QuickTime Player 7 in the Applications folder, but if I open the Applications folder, I only see the QuickTime Player X logo.

Any idea how to fix this? Thanks.
post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

In Spotlight, when I search "Quicktime" it shows both QuickTime Player and QuickTime Player 7 in the Applications folder, but if I open the Applications folder, I only see the QuickTime Player X logo.

Because it isn't IN the Applications folder.

There's no fix, just go where it actually is: Utilities.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Because it isn't IN the Applications folder.

There's no fix, just go where it actually is: Utilities.

Yes, I can see that it isn't in the Applications folder, it just seems strange that Spotlight would report that. I mentioned that only because that was just something odd I noticed with Spotlight.

The problem I am having is that QuickTime movies, as in the link I provided, do not play anymore. That's what I'm trying to fix.
post #4 of 7
Try transcoding it with HandBrake. Just tell it to be an MP4 again.

post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Try transcoding it with HandBrake. Just tell it to be an MP4 again.

I don't think you're getting me. My videos on my hard drive are not the problem. They still play correctly. My problem is that videos embedded in a web site are not playing. My first post has a link to a video in an AI article. Usually these types of videos show a preview still or something like that. For me it just shows a QuickTime logo with a question mark over it.
post #6 of 7
Actually, I am on a Windows machine now and I went back to look at the video and it turns out it isn't a video at all. It looks like a picture with zoom in/out controls. But the question still remains, why do I not see this on my Mac? Why do I just get the QuickTime logo with the question mark?

Thanks.
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

A couple of weeks ago I tried to play one of my old videos (an MP4) off my hard drive and a pop-up came up and told me I needed to install Quicktime 7 to work. So I clicked on the install button and it seemed to download something but I don't remember going through any installation.

Since then, I can't seem to play embedded Quicktime movies. For instance, this AppleInsider article seems to have a video, but all I see is the Quicktime logo with a question mark over it. I can still play those videos on my hard drive, but embedded ones don't seem to play now.

Any idea how to fix this? Thanks.

This happened to me also. Has to be in the utilities section.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Apple Software
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Software › Quicktime stopped working