or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Software › Quicktime stopped working
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Quicktime stopped working

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
A couple of weeks ago I tried to play one of my old videos (an MP4) off my hard drive and a pop-up came up and told me I needed to install Quicktime 7 to work. So I clicked on the install button and it seemed to download something but I don't remember going through any installation.

Since then, I can't seem to play embedded Quicktime movies. For instance, this AppleInsider article seems to have a video, but all I see is the Quicktime logo with a question mark over it. I can still play those videos on my hard drive, but embedded ones don't seem to play now.

In Spotlight, when I search "Quicktime" it shows both QuickTime Player and QuickTime Player 7 in the Applications folder, but if I open the Applications folder, I only see the QuickTime Player X logo.

Any idea how to fix this? Thanks.
post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

In Spotlight, when I search "Quicktime" it shows both QuickTime Player and QuickTime Player 7 in the Applications folder, but if I open the Applications folder, I only see the QuickTime Player X logo.

Because it isn't IN the Applications folder.

There's no fix, just go where it actually is: Utilities.
post #3 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Because it isn't IN the Applications folder.

There's no fix, just go where it actually is: Utilities.

Yes, I can see that it isn't in the Applications folder, it just seems strange that Spotlight would report that. I mentioned that only because that was just something odd I noticed with Spotlight.

The problem I am having is that QuickTime movies, as in the link I provided, do not play anymore. That's what I'm trying to fix.
post #4 of 7
Try transcoding it with HandBrake. Just tell it to be an MP4 again.
post #5 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Try transcoding it with HandBrake. Just tell it to be an MP4 again.

I don't think you're getting me. My videos on my hard drive are not the problem. They still play correctly. My problem is that videos embedded in a web site are not playing. My first post has a link to a video in an AI article. Usually these types of videos show a preview still or something like that. For me it just shows a QuickTime logo with a question mark over it.
post #6 of 7
Thread Starter 
Actually, I am on a Windows machine now and I went back to look at the video and it turns out it isn't a video at all. It looks like a picture with zoom in/out controls. But the question still remains, why do I not see this on my Mac? Why do I just get the QuickTime logo with the question mark?

Thanks.
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

A couple of weeks ago I tried to play one of my old videos (an MP4) off my hard drive and a pop-up came up and told me I needed to install Quicktime 7 to work. So I clicked on the install button and it seemed to download something but I don't remember going through any installation.

Since then, I can't seem to play embedded Quicktime movies. For instance, this AppleInsider article seems to have a video, but all I see is the Quicktime logo with a question mark over it. I can still play those videos on my hard drive, but embedded ones don't seem to play now.

In Spotlight, when I search "Quicktime" it shows both QuickTime Player and QuickTime Player 7 in the Applications folder, but if I open the Applications folder, I only see the QuickTime Player X logo.

Any idea how to fix this? Thanks.

This happened to me also. Has to be in the utilities section.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Apple Software
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Software › Quicktime stopped working