or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Aluminum unibody iPhone 5, low-cost iPhone 4S seen propelling Apple's sales

Aluminum unibody iPhone 5, low-cost iPhone 4S seen propelling Apple's sales - Page 2

post #41 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

Maybe, but Apple already sells the iPod Touch at $229, and it has 16GB, not 8GB from the rumors. The antenna can't be much expensive, and Apple doesn't need to profit more just because it has "iPhone" written on the back, although they can do that and get away with it pretty easily

The $229 iPod Touch definitely only has 8gb, so I'm not sure what you mean. There hasn't been a 16gb Touch since 2nd gen.
post #42 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by sennen View Post

Hopefully, as the iPhone 4 proved this gives much better performance.

Many do not realize just how good the antenna on iPhone 4 is. I can pick up signals with my iPhone 4 that I never could with other phones.
post #43 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Many do not realize just how good the antenna on iPhone 4 is. I can pick up signals with my iPhone 4 that I never could with other phones.

While this may be true for some, for me, there are now only two places in my house where I can hold a signal while on my iPhone 4, upstairs in my loft and next to one window in my bedroom. With my original iPhone and later my 3GS, I could walk anywhere in my house while on the phone. Also, my friend with his 3GS has no problem using the phone anywhere in my house.
post #44 of 66
Siggy change.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #45 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I just can't figure out why there are so many dualing articles in the press about the iPhone this year. Some say a totally new 5. Some say major differences inside, but pretty much the same outside. Some say both, but with the similar model made less expensively.

What's going on here? We see new, bigger cases, and usually these new cases do reflect a new phone. But by this time before release, we'll see some parts that show the new model. We're seeing nothing this time. But, I don't remember seeing much of the 4's case before the unveiling, so...

Apple has learned well from the iPhone4/Gizmodo fiasco. Expect this to be the new normal going forward... the Apple (dis)information leaks will leave your head spinning
post #46 of 66
A die casting is very similar in concept to an injection molded plastic part. You end up with a net shape or near net shape part that can have any number of features molded in. In a production environment the cycle times on the machines might be as few as five seconds. It is a very economical way to make metal parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

I wonder what Unibody means in the context of the iPhone?

A stronger case with molded in features. The case can also effectively perform as a heat sink for the SoC. In fact heat sinking the SoC would be a significant improvement in the iPhone. They might even be able to mold in features for antennas.
Quote:
For a laptop, it is quite meaningful. Look at the standard laptop and you see many panels screwed together. Sometimes, changing a basic component requires removing 25 screws. The Unibody design was therefore a significant step forward.

likewise an iPhone.
Quote:
The standard smartphone, however, really has very few structural components. Surely, non-Apple manufacturers have covers for the battery and SIM, etc. But the parts count is quite low. In fact, I wonder if the original iPhone could already qualify as a unibody?

Remember Unibody is a marketing term. In the end it means whatever Apple and the community wants it to mean.

Given that though a well designed casting would lead to a stronger iPhone.
post #47 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

My question w/an aluminum unibody design is, what happens if your iPhone takes an unplanned swim? Currently if your cell phone gets soaked you remove the battery and stick it in a bowl of rice for a couple of days or use a hair dryer or similar drying techniques. With the unibody design, will we still be able to get to the battery>

Actually the very best way to deal with the iphone getting submersed in water is to do the following. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO TURN ON PHONE!. Go to the drug store and find the highest percent alcohol you can. It needs to be 90% pure to work for sure although 85% should work as well. 70% will not work.

Get a plastic tupperware type container and fill it enough to cover the iPhone completely. Swish it around to get any air bubbles out of the dock, audio jack, etc. Leave in the alcohol for 24 hours. Replace alcohol with fresh supply and wait another 24 hours.

Then remove iPhone drain out as much liquid as possible, and leave on a window still where it gets a little sun or place near a light bulb, not too close, you don't want it to get very hot, just enough to evaporate the alcohol. WAIT 3 DAYS!. It should turn on and boot up just fine. If you see some bubbles or streaks under the glass, they should go away in a few days.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #48 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Actually the very best way to deal with the iphone getting submersed in water is to do the following. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO TURN ON PHONE!. Go to the drug store and find the highest percent alcohol you can. It needs to be 90% pure to work for sure although 85% should work as well. 70% will not work.

Get a plastic tupperware type container and fill it enough to cover the iPhone completely. Swish it around to get any air bubbles out of the dock, audio jack, etc. Leave in the alcohol for 24 hours. Replace alcohol with fresh supply and wait another 24 hours.

Then remove iPhone drain out as much liquid as possible, and leave on a window still where it gets a little sun or place near a light bulb, not too close, you don't want it to get very hot, just enough to evaporate the alcohol. WAIT 3 DAYS!. It should turn on and boot up just fine. If you see some bubbles or streaks under the glass, they should go away in a few days.

Sounds like it might be more more effective than three days in a bag of rice, the only trick I've found that works at least most of the time. When you have a teenager that fishes 2-4 hours a day, waterlogged phones are too common.
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #49 of 66
Quote:

How does this work? The alcohol would have to have a stronger adhesion coefficient to the various internal components than water or whatever water solution. Or is the water being absorbed into the alcohol?
post #50 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrike View Post

How does this work? The alcohol would have to have a stronger adhesion coefficient to the various internal components than water or whatever water solution. Or is the water being absorbed into the alcohol?

I'd imagine the water disperses into the alcohol, so that you end up with a solution of mostly-alcohol inside the phone, even places where air doesn't circulate well.

Then you drain the alcohol out, and any remaining drops inside the phone evaporate much more quickly than a similar quantity of water would.

I'd be a little concerned though, because alcohol is a solvent, and there's no telling what it might do to some of the plastics and other materials inside an iPhone.

It's also flammable. I'd be worried about sparks starting a fire.
post #51 of 66
Its magical, its revolutionary, the first phone that signals can't get in or out of...

Heh...But seriously, the very first iPhone had serious signal issues due to its metal back, I guess with this one it comes down to if they continue with the external antenna or move it internally.
post #52 of 66
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrike View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Sounds like it might be more more effective than three days in a bag of rice, the only trick I've found that works at least most of the time. When you have a teenager that fishes 2-4 hours a day, waterlogged phones are too common.

No no no no no. You people have it all wrong. The best way to deal with a drowned iPhone is to take it back to the Apple store: http://bit.ly/pzsROu
post #53 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunspot42 View Post

I'd imagine the water disperses into the alcohol, so that you end up with a solution of mostly-alcohol inside the phone, even places where air doesn't circulate well.

Then you drain the alcohol out, and any remaining drops inside the phone evaporate much more quickly than a similar quantity of water would.

I'd be a little concerned though, because alcohol is a solvent, and there's no telling what it might do to some of the plastics and other materials inside an iPhone.

It's also flammable. I'd be worried about sparks starting a fire.

The alcohol helps evaporate the water by dissolving it in a solution. That is how it works.

There should not be any sparks inside your phone, but even so a spark is not a sufficient ignition source for diluted alcohol to catch on fire, but you should keep the alcohol container away from an open flame. Also alcohol will not harm the internal components at all in my experience. Either way, it is almost certain that the phone will never work again if you don't take these measures fairly quickly after the water comes in contact with the phone. Twice I have used this method, which I learned about online somewhere, and it has worked flawlessly in both cases. The one time it didn't work is when it went through the washer and dryer. In that case the alcohol was 80 proof whiskey and I consumed a bit too much of it the night before.

post #54 of 66
Quote:

No no no no no. You people have it all wrong. The best way to deal with a drowned iPhone is to take it back to the Apple store: http://bit.ly/pzsROu

Yes you can try that. Personally I prefer to pay for my own mistakes.

post #55 of 66
But is it going to be transparent aluminum?
post #56 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

What are you referring to exactly? a Liquid metal body for an iPhone would have very few advantages and quite a few drawbacks. Most notably the price would be astronomical and the chassis would be even less radio transparent than an aluminium one.

If they use liquid metal at all it will be in the battery contacts where it will actually do some good.

Spray coatings. But I'm also referring to how butt ugly the site used to be before the announced partnership.
post #57 of 66
Does anyone else think we are interpreting this information the wrong way? This "new" design is clearly an evolution of the iPod touch.

It makes no sense for Apple, after 4 years, to suddenly turn around and argue that and iPod-touch-like design is a premium device and the iPhone 4 design is now the low end consumer device?

If the 8 megapixel camera module is the same thickness as the 5 megapixel module in the iphone 4, this suggests that the phone can't become any thinner.

My predictions are as follows:

The iPhone 5 will be a similar form factor to the iPhone 4 with the following differences:
8 megapixel camera
A5 CPU
Slightly modified antennae design
Universal carrier support (in the USA)
Voice integration via iOS 5
Available in 16GB, 32GB and 64GB capacities

The low end consumer device is really an "iPod touch 4+":
The plus represents addition of basic cellular phone capabilities.
Won't have an earpiece on the device. Headphones with mic required for privacy calling (To differentiate from the iPhone)
Slightly larger screen than the existing model to make room for cellular antennae, SIM card etc
Available in 8GB, 32GB and 64GB capacities
Priced to compete with the new amazon tablet
post #58 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregInPrague View Post

The $229 iPod Touch definitely only has 8gb, so I'm not sure what you mean. There hasn't been a 16gb Touch since 2nd gen.

You're right, guess that's because my one and only iOS device is my 1st gen iPod Touch

Though I would seriously consider owning just an iPad if big game devs made console-like games for the iPad 3

iPhone 4S 64GB, Black, soon to be sold in favor of a Nokia Lumia 920
Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

iPhone 4S 64GB, Black, soon to be sold in favor of a Nokia Lumia 920
Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

post #59 of 66
I think you are on the right track with this, but have confused yourself in getting there. I think the iPhone 5 will be the cheaper slim model and the iPhone 4S will be the high end 8MP model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Does anyone else think we are interpreting this information the wrong way? This "new" design is clearly an evolution of the iPod touch.

It makes no sense for Apple, after 4 years, to suddenly turn around and argue that and iPod-touch-like design is a premium device and the iPhone 4 design is now the low end consumer device?

If the 8 megapixel camera module is the same thickness as the 5 megapixel module in the iphone 4, this suggests that the phone can't become any thinner.

My predictions are as follows:

The iPhone 5 will be a similar form factor to the iPhone 4 with the following differences:
8 megapixel camera
A5 CPU
Slightly modified antennae design
Universal carrier support (in the USA)
Voice integration via iOS 5
Available in 16GB, 32GB and 64GB capacities

The low end consumer device is really an "iPod touch 4+":
The plus represents addition of basic cellular phone capabilities.
Won't have an earpiece on the device. Headphones with mic required for privacy calling (To differentiate from the iPhone)
Slightly larger screen than the existing model to make room for cellular antennae, SIM card etc
Available in 8GB, 32GB and 64GB capacities
Priced to compete with the new amazon tablet
post #60 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I think you are on the right track with this, but have confused yourself in getting there. I think the iPhone 5 will be the cheaper slim model and the iPhone 4S will be the high end 8MP model.

Ireland - surely the higher version number will be reserved for the high end model, no?

The more similar the next iPhone looks to the existing model the more Apple needs marketing to differentiate it. Calling its spiritual successor an iPhone 4S can only detract from its desirability. iPhone 5 with iOS 5 has state of the art written all over it.

The 3GS was a unique situation because they called the 2nd generation iPhone 3G. They couldnt very well call its successor an iPhone 3 because the only marketing term worse than marginal improvement is going backwards. Apple will never return to a naming scheme that complicated for the same reason they never release marketing material that says only slightly better than last years model.

The high end model will be called iPhone 5 but it is not the new design.
The new phone form factor (with the tapered edges) is really the low end model and should be thought of as an evolution of the iPod touch line. No real idea what it will be called (for simplicity, iPod+).

There is no such thing as an iPhone 4S. Apple will fill any perceived price gap and clear inventory by continuing to sell the iPhone 4 exactly as is.

The October 4 Apple event will reflect on ten years ago when Apple began to dominate the portable music player market with the iPod and how the new iPod+ (or whatever) will do the same with the low cost phone market. Apple will attempt to disrupt the market by deemphasising the disembodied voice talking aspect of communicating and position it as more intimate way of communicating using video, text, images and location awareness (FaceTime, iMessage, social networking).
post #61 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Ireland - surely the higher version number will be reserved for the high end model, no?

The more similar the next iPhone looks to the existing model the more Apple needs marketing to differentiate it. Calling its spiritual successor an “iPhone 4S” can only detract from its desirability. “iPhone 5 with iOS 5” has state of the art written all over it.

The “3GS” was a unique situation because they called the 2nd generation iPhone “3G”. They couldn’t very well call its successor an “iPhone 3” because the only marketing term worse than “marginal improvement” is “going backwards”. Apple will never return to a naming scheme that complicated for the same reason they never release marketing material that says “only slightly better than last year’s model”.

The high end model will be called iPhone 5 but it is not the new design.
The new phone form factor (with the tapered edges) is really the low end model and should be thought of as an evolution of the iPod touch line. No real idea what it will be called (for simplicity, iPod+).

There is no such thing as an “iPhone 4S”. Apple will fill any perceived price gap and clear inventory by continuing to sell the iPhone 4 exactly as is.

The October 4 Apple event will reflect on ten years ago when Apple began to dominate the portable music player market with the iPod and how the new iPod+ (or whatever) will do the same with the low cost phone market. Apple will attempt to disrupt the market by deemphasising the “disembodied voice talking ” aspect of communicating and position it as more intimate way of communicating using video, text, images and location awareness (FaceTime, iMessage, social networking).

I like that you're trying to use logic instead of emotions, but your arguments are very incomplete. I submit some evidence here to support the case of iPhone 4GS.

First, Apple currently sells two phones: iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS. So they can continue this:iPhone 5 and iPhone 4. The difference this time *may* be that, unlike past years, they will actually modify the iP4 slightly and so a slightly modified name is warranted.

Second, we have seen in the past that as the dog n pony show approaches, *leaks* become increasingly accurate. There have been convincing leaks lately about 4S, including images of boxes for cases. Sure, these could be hoaxes. But, as mentioned, history suggests not all leaks are off the mark.

Third, Apple is not brilliant when it comes to naming products - they prefer simplicity. I agree there is no way they'd present only an iPhone 4S as a follow-up, but presenting an iPhone 5 along with an iPhone 4S would not be inconsistent with their history. In fact, they will likely not spend much time talking about the 4S. Not saying this is a sure thing, but saying instead that you risk eating words by stating with conviction that there's no such thing as 4S.

The camera sensor is an interesting discussion point in guessing size. We know that the 5MP sensor has shrunk in size. But how thick is the 8 MP sensor? Well, the Galaxy SII has a 8MP sensor, and is a full mm thinner than the iP4 (but Samsung does not always use the thinnest part of its phones as the thickness spec). So it's possible for iP5 to sport a higher resolution camera and still be thinner.

Case (sort of) closed.
post #62 of 66
Quote:

I like that you're trying to use logic instead of emotions, but your arguments are very incomplete. I submit some evidence here to support the case of iPhone 4GS.

Can't be 4GS. Bet that was just a typo.

OH!

OH OH!

I've had an idea. WHAT IF, the so-called "4S" is just the Verizon iPhone with a SIM tray and GSM antennas added? We already have the proper chip.

Huh? HUH?! That way Apple ONLY sells world-mode phones, there's not a lot of engineering or wasted money on their part with an old model, and it would indeed require a name change.

None of this extra bumped-spec crap, just support for every carrier in every phone they sell.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
post #63 of 66
Quote:

First, Apple currently sells two phones: iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS. So they can continue this:iPhone 5 and iPhone 4. The difference this time *may* be that, unlike past years, they will actually modify the iP4 slightly and so a slightly modified name is warranted.

Only if they add the A5 to the iPhone 4 form factor. That's basically the only thing that warrants a name change. For the 3GS, Apple created a new SKU in 2010 by creating a previously non-existing 8 GB iPhone 3GS. They continue to sell that today.

However, adding the A5 to a prospective low end phone (the $99 w/contract version) could cause marketing confusion, not to mention margins either. If past performance is an indicator, Apple will simply create an 8 GB iPhone 4 and sell it as the low end $99 w/contract model, while the next gen iPhone becomes the high end device.

I still find the fact that this marketing strategy actually works amazing. Just crazy. People are saving 5% of the cost over a 2 year contract. There should be no reason whatsoever for anyone to go with the $99 option unless it comes with a cheaper service contract. Crazy.

Quote:
Third, Apple is not brilliant when it comes to naming products - they prefer simplicity.

You got this wording incorrect. Apple is brilliant at naming products. The best in the business.

Quote:
I agree there is no way they'd present only an iPhone 4S as a follow-up, but presenting an iPhone 5 along with an iPhone 4S would not be inconsistent with their history. In fact, they will likely not spend much time talking about the 4S. Not saying this is a sure thing, but saying instead that you risk eating words by stating with conviction that there's no such thing as 4S.

If the next gen iPhone is an iPhone 4 with A5 guts, plus other features like 8 MP cam and Assistant, yeah, they be talking about it all day, everyday for a year.

Quote:
The camera sensor is an interesting discussion point in guessing size. We know that the 5MP sensor has shrunk in size. But how thick is the 8 MP sensor? Well, the Galaxy SII has a 8MP sensor, and is a full mm thinner than the iP4 (but Samsung does not always use the thinnest part of its phones as the thickness spec).

As per a thread from awhile back about the UK advertising board allowing Apple to market the iPhone 4 as the thinnest smartphone in the UK, the GSII indeed is thicker than the iPhone 4 due to the camera bump and the bulge at the bottom.
post #64 of 66
Not again. I love the glass sandwich design on my iPhone 4. It's distinctive and unique among mobile phones and is the first phone I've owned where the back hasn't got scratched to hell. Even if a phone has a cover that encloses the rear, grit and small particles normally find their way inside and scratch it up over time.

The iphone 4 design IMHO is genius. If Apple go back to the old way of doing things I won't be in a hurry to switch.
post #65 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I just can't figure out why there are so many dualing articles in the press about the iPhone this year. Some say a totally new 5. Some say major differences inside, but pretty much the same outside. Some say both, but with the similar model made less expensively.

What's going on here? We see new, bigger cases, and usually these new cases do reflect a new phone. But by this time before release, we'll see some parts that show the new model. We're seeing nothing this time. But, I don't remember seeing much of the 4's case before the unveiling, so...

It means that Steve probably tore a number of people a new orifice after the iPhone4 leaks and Apple has locked down the iPhone 5 secrets ultra tight. Even the supposed "left at bar" prototype didn't make it out beyond some half-hearted story of people looking for the alleged prototype. There's also probably been improved dealings with China with various Chinese companies and authorities not wanting to screw the pooch (or golden goose) on this one.
post #66 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

It means that Steve probably tore a number of people a new orifice after the iPhone4 leaks and Apple has locked down the iPhone 5 secrets ultra tight. Even the supposed "left at bar" prototype didn't make it out beyond some half-hearted story of people looking for the alleged prototype. There's also probably been improved dealings with China with various Chinese companies and authorities not wanting to screw the pooch (or golden goose) on this one.

Well, let's see. Supposedly one new phone lost in a bar here. One phone stolen from Foxconn and sold to some manufacturer. So why aren't we seeing some photo's, even anonymously?

Blueprints that could be fake, and that seem to be what these case manufacturers are using seem to be the only evidence so far. No reports from suppliers at all except for denials. No larger screen shipments that we hear of. Nothing! Just a couple of pics of front panels which could very well be fake.

Come on! You live in that general area. Break into a factory for us!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Aluminum unibody iPhone 5, low-cost iPhone 4S seen propelling Apple's sales
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Aluminum unibody iPhone 5, low-cost iPhone 4S seen propelling Apple's sales