or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Nielsen: Apple's iOS holds at 28% in US as Android rises to 43% smartphone share

Nielsen: Apple's iOS holds at 28% in US as Android rises to 43% smartphone share - Page 2

post #41 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

It will be very interesting to see what happens once smartphone ownership in the US saturates and any further sales come from people replacing smartphones, not dumb or feature phones.

Right now there is still some low hanging fruit as dumb and feature phone owners come in to see what's available for cheap or free when their contract renewal rolls around. Naturally the carriers are very keen on flogging their smartphones, and their are plenty of cheap or free Android handsets to get people to make the switch. I haven't been into a Verizon store recently but I wouldn't be surprised if dumb and feature phones are being treated like LPs after CDs had taken over-- a few dusty choices in the corner for Luddites.

All of which is just fine and dandy, but it does mean, as has been suggested, that some number of those Android phones are simply being used as replacement feature phones, so their users are unlikely to be particularly wed to the platform.

So I'm curious what the numbers look like when pretty much everyone has a smartphone, everyone who's interested in using such a device to its full capacity has learned how to do so, and it's no longer possible to wow anyone simply because a phone has a functional browser.

I'm not saying that there will be some kind of mass migration to iOS at that point, but I do think there may be at least some shifting of percentages as more sophisticated users pick and choose based on experience rather than just whatever the guy at the store was pushing.

Ever heard of the phrase, "Get 'em young."?

We could be seeing the same thing play out. There's a reason that Apple pushes the iPod Touch so much. It's a training device for an iPhone.

Likewise, those folks getting a cheap Android to replace their old dumbphone/featurephone are suddenly going to discover the joys of Google Navigation, integrated GMail and Google Search, etc. Once they do, they'll stick to a smartphone, and a good chunk of them will stick with Android. Some will move to other platforms, but the vast majority will stay with the platform they learned to use first, as long as it remains technologically relevant. Just look at how long Symbian and Windows Mobile lasted in the face of the iPhone and Android.
post #42 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

A couple of weeks ago, a colleague of mine was showing off his Android phone which he bought a few months ago.

When I asked him where he got his apps, he said they came with his phone and he was told that that was all he really needed.

Well, he called me last week and asked where he could get more apps. When I said that I didn't know he got a bit upset. So I told him that I would do a little due diligence.

It turns out that, "Android has gained enough popularity since its launch in late 2008, and is already competing tightly with Apple. The Android Market - the online software store hosted by Google - has over 460,000+ estimated apps available for both free and paid download, and as of July 2011, there were more than 6 billion downloads from the Android Market." http://www.thetechlabs.com/tech-news/best-android-apps/

Now I must admit, my centric attitude around everything Apple may have affected my love for my Macs, iPads, iPhones, etc., and jaundiced my perception of the competition. That is until he called me yesterday to say that it took him 6 downloads of one app to finally get a version compatible with his smartphone. Actually, he got it right on the third try, but he didn't know it

In any event, he didn't like what he got. That, I couldn't help him with. However, I do wonder why Google hasn't been more boisterous about their numbers. Half a billion apps; Six billion downloads. That's impressive.

Thats like saying my friend wanted to buy some milk and didn't know where to get any and neither did I, but would you believe that they sell the stuff in grocery stores, CVS and 7-11. It took him 6 tries to get the right percentage fat milk. He kept picking the one with the wrong color top.
post #43 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkMailfever View Post

IMHO, Android's UI is just as simple as IOS. I use both daily, and both are easy to use.

I concur. And the arguments are often contradictory. "Android copied iOS." "Android's UI is poor."

I think it comes down to what you're used to. I find myself reaching for the back button every time I use an iPhone. Yet, I can pick up any Android phone and despite the UI Skin on it, be able to use it right away since the hardware buttons and core menus always look and act the same.

In a lot of ways Android seems to me to be a more a copy of Symbian than of iOS. Stock Android on my Nexus One reminds me a lot of my Nokia 5800 Xpressmusic.

Incidentally, I fully support iOS5 copying features like the notification blind. This will simply move iOS to a look that's closer to Android (though Ice Cream Sandwich is rumoured to noticeably change things up). This will simply make it easier for users to switch between platforms.
post #44 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

This about somes up my feelings as well. Apple doesn't have to be number 1 at everything to be successful, and someone NOT choosing an Apple product doesn't make them a cheapskate/idiot.

Further to that, there seems to be the assumption in these parts that if you use a single item not made by Apple or are critical of Apple in any way that you are automatically an Apple hater. It's absurd.

For all the criticism about Android being for geeks, I am often struck by the religious undertones with which some folks approach the choice of mobile platform. Some here sound like the Jehovah's Witness that bug me way too early on Saturday morning.
post #45 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) A phone going into it's 16th month on the market was able to maintain it's percentage in a fast growing smartphone market? That's pretty insane!

I think this point is really the most salient one made in all the comments so far. Assuming no production snafus with the next iPhone, it's hard to see how Apple wouldn't gain share in the US moving forward, and at least some of that will come at the expense of Android.
post #46 of 120
deleted
post #47 of 120
Quote:

A couple of weeks ago, a colleague of mine was showing off his Android phone which he bought a few months ago.

When I asked him where he got his apps, he said they came with his phone and he was told that that was all he really needed.

Well, he called me last week and asked where he could get more apps. When I said that I didn't know he got a bit upset. So I told him that I would do a little due diligence.

It turns out that, "Android has gained enough popularity since its launch in late 2008, and is already competing tightly with Apple. The Android Market - the online software store hosted by Google - has over 460,000+ estimated apps available for both free and paid download, and as of July 2011, there were more than 6 billion downloads from the Android Market." http://www.thetechlabs.com/tech-news/best-android-apps/

Now I must admit, my centric attitude around everything Apple may have affected my love for my Macs, iPads, iPhones, etc., and jaundiced my perception of the competition. That is until he called me yesterday to say that it took him 6 downloads of one app to finally get a version compatible with his smartphone. Actually, he got it right on the third try, but he didn't know it

In any event, he didn't like what he got. That, I couldn't help him with. However, I do wonder why Google hasn't been more boisterous about their numbers. Half a billion apps; Six billion downloads. That's impressive.

Stories like this honestly make me wonder whether they are made up. Every Android phone comes that has the Google logo on it comes with the Android Market pre-installed. That AM icon is on the packaging and is associated with the way you get apps.

Next, once you click to download an app, it downloads and self-installs, unless there's a connection error (I've had it happen on occassion when I lost signal). You don't have to do anything other than click "Buy" (enter your credit card information the first time), read the permissions and click "Accept and Download".

Six times? I've never had that happen. And if you have an app installed, it will not let you install it again (all you get is the "uninstall" button). And there is no "version compatible with your phone" business. The Android Market app hides all apps not compatible with your phone or not available in your country. You can see them on the Android market website, but they will not give you the "Install" or "Buy" button and when you hover over those buttons or click them they tell you why it's not available. You never see versions of apps.

So either you or your friend are making this up. Or your friend lacks the common sense found in any pre-teen who could easily work his way through installing an app on an Android device. I daresay that if your friend could not click four time to get an app (once on the market icon, next on the app he wanted, then Buy and then Accept) that he would not have fared better with an iPhone.
post #48 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury99 View Post

Actually quite opposite. iPhone is not smart enough. It's a pseudo smartphone:

Screen is to small for productive text entry/usage, lower resolution front/back cameras, no wifi hot spot capability, no NFC, slow processor/low memory, no removable battery/memory, no FM radio, no world phone capability.

iPhone is a stylish pseudo-smartphone.

A rare find indeed, this specimen looks like Nokiaus fanboius circa 2007 believed to be extinct due to the traumatic disruption to their environment over the past few years.

It looks like this one has re-emerged as an Androidus fanboius the distinguishing feature is spewing the same old (unsuccessful) crap, which was responsible for their demise in the first place.

Scientists are still divided on this evolution in action as to whether this is a new species.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #49 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

I think this point is really the most salient one made in all the comments so far. Assuming no production snafus with the next iPhone, it's hard to see how Apple wouldn't gain share in the US moving forward, and at least some of that will come at the expense of Android.

People said the same thing about the iPhone 4 and the launch of the iPhone on Verizon. Neither event took away market share from Android. In reality iOS and Android are both taking away market share from RIM, Symbian and Windows Mobile (which hasn't been fully captured by Windows Phone 7). And this is also a mobile market that's still growing. Even a declining market share does not mean declining sales (See RIM).

EDIT: None of the above means that kudos shouldn't be accorded to the iPhone 4 for holding its own for 16 months. That's an incredible accomplishment.
post #50 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

Six times? I've never had that happen. And if you have an app installed, it will not let you install it again (all you get is the "uninstall" button). And there is no "version compatible with your phone" business. The Android Market app hides all apps not compatible with your phone or not available in your country. You can see them on the Android market website, but they will not give you the "Install" or "Buy" button and when you hover over those buttons or click them they tell you why it's not available. You never see versions of apps.

So either you or your friend are making this up. Or your friend lacks the common sense found in any pre-teen who could easily work his way through installing an app on an Android device. I daresay that if your friend could not click four time to get an app (once on the market icon, next on the app he wanted, then Buy and then Accept) that he would not have fared better with an iPhone.

To be honest, I have had this happen to me when evaluating Android phones. I've selected an app to install and received a message to the effect that it was not compatible with my particular phone. To be fair, this was a year ago, and perhaps the market has been updated to eliminate this problem.
post #51 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post

To be honest, I have had this happen to me when evaluating Android phones. I've selected an app to install and received a message to the effect that it was not compatible with my particular phone. To be fair, this was a year ago, and perhaps the market has been updated to eliminate this problem.

I've never had this happen to me ever. Maybe you're right. That said, they have revamped the market significantly several times in the time I've had my Nexus One. And with each one there have been significant improvements in the way apps are managed. So if this was an error before, I simply can't see them allowing it now. Especially when the website is specifically designed to not let you do OTA installs of apps that aren't compatible or aren't availlable in your country in the first place (with the mobile AM app you just don't see them to begin with).

And again, there is no picking a version of an app. That's the part that makes this whole story dubious (especially if it was "a few weeks ago"). The app either is or is not compatible with the handset. If it's not compatible the Market won't let you install it. It won't even show you the app if you're surfing for apps on your phone.
post #52 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Not that I do not disagree, but you can not buy an android phone without a data plan, do you think people are paying for something they are not using.

I know you can root a android phone like you can jailbreak an iphone, theoretically people could be using the phone without a data plan. My son iphone is a handy-me-down and it does not have a data plan so it is glorify feature phone (not really a dumbphone), but he does play games on it and used the internet via WiFi. It only cost him $10 a month to have an iphone without data. Not sure if everyone is doing the same thing.

The more interesting statistic here is how many of the android activation are new verse upgrade since I have been notice people changing their android phones more than iphone users they seem to jump for Samsung, HTC, LG and so on as they come out.

Actually, that's not true. see Metro PCS...
post #53 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwlaw99 View Post

Thats like saying my friend wanted to buy some milk and didn't know where to get any and neither did I, but would you believe that they sell the stuff in grocery stores, CVS and 7-11. It took him 6 tries to get the right percentage fat milk. He kept picking the one with the wrong color top.

Nicely said. A little extreme, choosing milk, but it works.
post #54 of 120
Quote:

Some here sound like the Jehovah's Witness that bug me way too early on Saturday morning.

You will burn in hell because you hate Apple.
post #55 of 120
deleted
post #56 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

You will burn in hell because you hate Apple.

Ahh. But on this one I'm more like a lazy Catholic who doesn't go to church often enough.

I own some Apple gear. And will own more in the future. It's just that not all my personal electronics are "Designed in California. Made in China."

But you're right. The puritans might still condemn me for not adopting their fanaticism. Apple fanbois inquisition?
post #57 of 120
Quote:

Whenever my son goes app shopping via the website, the Android Market gives him a popup telling him if the app he's selected is compatible with his phone. IIRC it won't allow him to download if it is not, but I'd have to confirm that. I don't think the app appears at all if shopping direct from his phone if it's not compatible

EDIT: I just checked with him, and incompatible apps won't even appear when shopping the Android Market from his phone. I can't see how someone downloaded 6 incompatible versions unless they were shopping at some 3rd site.
melior diabolus quem scies
post #58 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

The economy is bad and people with little to spend will have no choice but to go with the cheapest options available to them. Almost 50% of all US households pay no federal taxes, and that most likely represents a large base of Android users right there, and these people are more likely to be technically ignorant, not to mention economically challenged.

That is the most asinine statement in have heard in a while..... You apple fan boys say that only geeks buy android, and then say that only technically ignorant people buy them. Both cannot be right.

I can assure you that I am technically literate and can easily afford any phone I simply find the Android phones to be more useful.......period....

By the way, many Android phone cost as much as the iPhone. The service (you know the vast majority of the cost of owning a smart phone) is exactly the same....

In my opinion, it is people like you who give the majority of the iPhone users a bad reputation...
post #59 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

This about somes up my feelings as well. Apple doesn't have to be number 1 at everything to be successful, and someone NOT choosing an Apple product doesn't make them a cheapskate/idiot.

You mean iDiot.
post #60 of 120
Why are the Apple fanboys freaking out? Of course there are more Android phones out there. Multiple manufacturers versus Apple alone. Also, take into account the entire WORLD versus just the U.S. Most definitely there are more Android devices in the wild.

Apple dudes (that includes me) ... just chill...all will be fine. You folks do realize you don't need the largest total market share to be the best? Right? Think of it this way, while Apple doesn't have the largest part of the market share for the OS, they do based on device manufacturer.
post #61 of 120
Quote:

I've never had this happen to me ever. Maybe you're right. That said, they have revamped the market significantly several times in the time I've had my Nexus One. And with each one there have been significant improvements in the way apps are managed. So if this was an error before, I simply can't see them allowing it now. Especially when the website is specifically designed to not let you do OTA installs of apps that aren't compatible or aren't availlable in your country in the first place (with the mobile AM app you just don't see them to begin with).

And again, there is no picking a version of an app. That's the part that makes this whole story dubious (especially if it was "a few weeks ago"). The app either is or is not compatible with the handset. If it's not compatible the Market won't let you install it. It won't even show you the app if you're surfing for apps on your phone.

I had it happen on a SonyEricsson X10 when I updated it from 1.6 to 2.1, a program I installed pre update wouldn't install post update.

Without giving Google lots of permissions there isn't much you can do with an Android phone, I see that quite a lot when people choose to say no to some of the things these phones ask for when setting them up.
post #62 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by sranger View Post

That is the most asinine statement in have heard in a while..... You apple fan boys say that only geeks buy android, and then say that only technically ignorant people buy them. Both cannot be right.

I can assure you that I am technically literate and can easily afford any phone I simply find the Android phones to be more useful.......period....

By the way, many Android phone cost as much as the iPhone. The service (you know the vast majority of the cost of owning a smart phone) is exactly the same....

In my opinion, it is people like you who give the majority of the iPhone users a bad reputation...

On the front page of Verizon.com right now, you'll see this:

I don't see them giving away any iPhones for free.

How can anybody get upset with me for pointing out that Android is not a premium brand. They're giving away some of the damn phones for free, LOL.

When somebody gives shit away for free, then they shouldn't be surprised if that devalues their brand.

And it's not just on Verizon, it's everywhere. That's how they move Android phones. Yes, a few people are buying the more expensive Android phones too, but many people are attracted to Android because they're poor and flashing the words "FREE" and "BOGOF" in front of a poor person is a sure fire way to get them to choose your phone.
post #63 of 120
All I can say is after checking out the new Galaxy S II, if the new iPhone isn't everything its supposed to be (bigger screen, slimmer, better camera, HSDPA+ etc) there will be one more person in that Android market share bracket.
post #64 of 120
what these latest stats tell us is RIM's market base is in free fall and collapsing, and Windows Phone is DOA. great leadership! stay the course!

Apple will get a bump of course with iPhone 5. good goal for next January would be 33% share, which probably will be about where it levels out for good.
post #65 of 120
Quote:

On the front page of Verizon.com right now, you'll see this:

I don't see them giving away any iPhones for free.

How can anybody get upset with me for pointing out that Android is not a premium brand. They're giving away some of the damn phones for free, LOL.

When somebody gives shit away for free, then they shouldn't be surprised if that devalues their brand.

And it's not just on Verizon, it's everywhere. That's how they move Android phones. Yes, a few people are buying the more expensive Android phones too, but many people are attracted to Android because they're poor and flashing the words "FREE" and "BOGOF" in front of a poor person is a sure fire way to get them to choose your phone.

I went to the websites of a couple of carriers, and found these:

So you're right, "free" is everywhere.
post #66 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

Also force reboots rarely happen on android.

It happens on my Moto Defy at least twice a week, especially when using Google Maps or Navigation, which is a real shame, but also a known problem with Defys.

And I swore off Motorola mobiles before, but the big plus for the Defy was the ruggedness and I am a bit of a klutz.

Anyway, if the iPhone would be a bit cheaper and more rugged, I would consider it over Android any day, but I have seen a lot of iPhones with broken display glass, thus I am a bit wary of them.
post #67 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

I am aware of that in the UK, I've seen it before, and I believe that they've been doing it for a while. But those plans don't exactly seem cheap.

Some of those UK carriers seem to have different monthly rates, depending upon which phone you choose.
post #68 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

Care to explain how those iPhone deals affect US Market share?
post #69 of 120
I really like Apple products, but why does this article always come to mind when reading comments on this site?

http://articles.cnn.com/2011-05-19/t...ins?_s=PM:TECH
post #70 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinnerlys View Post

It happens on my Moto Defy at least twice a week, especially when using Google Maps or Navigation, which is a real shame, but also a known problem with Defys.

And I swore off Motorola mobiles before, but the big plus for the Defy was the ruggedness and I am a bit of a klutz.

Anyway, if the iPhone would be a bit cheaper and more rugged, I would consider it over Android any day, but I have seen a lot of iPhones with broken display glass, thus I am a bit wary of them.

The key there is that it is a known problem with the model. I don't get why people taint the whole OS. Blame Motorola. If you buy a Corolla and it turns out to be a lemon, do you then suggest that all Lexus vehicles would be lemons too?
post #71 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by anfboymn View Post

I really like Apple products, but why does this article always come to mind when reading comments on this site?

http://articles.cnn.com/2011-05-19/t...ins?_s=PM:TECH

When Apple fans start murdering people... call me.
Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #72 of 120
Quote:

The ignorant American strikes again. Play around with this:

Let me teach you a thing or two about simple economics, math and common sense.

The free Android phones that they're giving out in the US don't have premium, expensive plans attached to them.

Those so-called free iPhones in the UK all have more expensive plans than Android phones, so they're not really free at all. Owning an iPhone will cost more. The cheapest monthly rate for an iPhone was 35 pounds according to your link. On the same link, if you choose an Android phone like the HTC Desire, you only have to pay 20.50 pounds per month, that's almost half the monthly cost.

My theory still holds strong, and I submit that many people choose Android phones because of the cheaper cost.
post #73 of 120
Quote:

My theory still holds strong, and I submit that many people choose Android phones because of the cheaper cost.

Of course they do. Why would that even be questioned? It doesn't make them a poor choice simply based on price.
post #74 of 120
Quote:

Further to that, there seems to be the assumption in these parts that if you use a single item not made by Apple or are critical of Apple in any way that you are automatically an Apple hater. It's absurd.

It wasn't always like that around here, the attitude started in 2007
post #75 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by sticknick View Post

If you're like me and have to field calls from relatives regarding their computer "problems", you know there is no such thing as smarter relatives.

Most people could not be bothered to figure out extra steps. "If it don't do it after two clicks, then fuck it."

Lol. I am that guy.
post #76 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

I wasn't aware of that. Can you give a few examples?

Not in any bad way. I was speaking specifically about the comment how usage data seems to favor iOS. When a lot of people go from dumb or feature phones they get smartphones (statistically Android phones) and aren't likely to be heavy power users.
post #77 of 120
Quote:

how much of that is made up? what app has six versions of itself in the Android market for different handsets? if an app isn't available for a certain phone/features set/OS version then the app won't even show.
post #78 of 120
Quote:

Ahh. But on this one I'm more like a lazy Catholic who doesn't go to church often enough.

I own some Apple gear. And will own more in the future. It's just that not all my personal electronics are "Designed in California. Made in China."

But you're right. The puritans might still condemn me for not adopting their fanaticism. Apple fanbois inquisition?

Actually, the average AI thread at this point has more people high-fiving each other for being such steely anti-fan boy call-'em-like-they-see-'em righteous dudes than Apple enthusiasts. It's actaully kind of creepy; presumably steely anti-fan boy call-'em-like-they-see-'em righteous dudes require constant targets of derision (no matter how thin on the ground) in order to feel mighty.

Hence, the whole "going out of one's way to hold forth on a forum which one repeatedly disparages as a pathetic heap of mindless boosterism" deal, AKA "Hey look at me everybody I'm a deeply insecure asshole."
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #79 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Actually, the average AI thread at this point has more people high-fiving each other for being such steely anti-fan boy call-'em-like-they-see-'em righteous dudes than Apple enthusiasts. It's actaully kind of creepy; presumably steely anti-fan boy call-'em-like-they-see-'em righteous dudes require constant targets of derision (no matter how thin on the ground) in order to feel mighty.

Hence, the whole "going out of one's way to hold forth on a forum which one repeatedly disparages as a pathetic heap of mindless boosterism" deal, AKA "Hey look at me everybody I'm a deeply insecure asshole."

lol what? oh you mean the people who can ask "hmmm something isn't right about this Samsung display, maybe there's something we aren't seeing here." Or do you mean the people who are like "Metro UI has been in use by microsoft for almost 20 years, how is MS copying Apple with it's usage of white on black in menus in Windows 8?"

So the rational folk iPhan and non iPhan alike? because if you notice the true trolls (i.e. APPLE IS TEH SUCK ANDROID ROOLZZZ) are ignored by us (I assume you mean me, Gator, Conrad, stelligent, anyone who isn't anti anything not Apple)

Also...I can disprove your statement...that's the beauty of forums...if you reference occurrences within the forum those can be confirmed or debunked.

The average thread goes like this:

- Apple Insider - Competitor to Apple did such and such
- fan 1: lol fail, they are poor, dumb ugly, losers
- fan 2: I know right...hahahahahhaha
- fan 3: ahahhaha yes
- fan but rational: eh, this is really a non story as these pieces of evidence indicate
- non fan, but appreciator quotes fan 1 - offers more evidence disproving theory
- fan 4: TROLLLLLL
----rinse...repeat.
post #80 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

When Apple fans start murdering people... call me.

I won't have to because you would have already died for Apple.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Nielsen: Apple's iOS holds at 28% in US as Android rises to 43% smartphone share
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Nielsen: Apple's iOS holds at 28% in US as Android rises to 43% smartphone share