or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Android-dominated T-Mobile still waiting for Apple's iPhone call
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Android-dominated T-Mobile still waiting for Apple's iPhone call

post #1 of 39
Thread Starter 
T-Mobile Chief Marketing Officer Cole Brodman said Monday that although 90 percent of his company's smartphone sales were Android-powered devices, he would "love to have the iPhone" as part of his lineup whenever Apple decides to express interest.

Speaking at GigaOM Mobilize conference, Brodman did his part to reiterate that T-Mobile won't be part of the much-anticipated iPhone 5 launch expected next month, nor would it offer an older iPhone model.

"We'd love to have the iPhone whenever Apple makes that available," Brodman said. "The ball is in Apple's court."

With sufficient evidence to suggest Sprint will begin selling the iPhone later this year, T-Mobile stands out as that last of America's big four carriers not to offer the smartphone that pioneered a new era of mobile computing.

Last year German-based Deutsch Telekom AG, the parent company of T-Mobile, blamed poor operating performance on its inability to sell the iPhone. It claimed that although the U.S. was once a vast opportunity for the carrier, lately subscribers have been abandoning the network in favor of owning an iPhone.

Brodman noted that smartphones account for 75 percent of phones sold on T-mobile's network, 90 percent of which are based on Google's Android platform.

When asked about the performance of other smartphone platforms, Brodman expressed that he is hopeful for a BlackBerry comeback next year. In the meantime, the exec indicated that T-Mobile is eager to add the iPhone to its network but Apple has yet to extend the invitation.

"We'll wait for that phone call," he said.
post #2 of 39
What's the story behind this? Can anyone speculate why they have been left till last?
post #3 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

What's the story behind this? Can anyone speculate why they have been left till last?

It'd have to be a technology constraint as there's no reason Apple would hold back otherwise.
post #4 of 39
T-mo probably loses more customers than they gain with Android. I'm guessing most customers get Android because their other phones suck, or they keep walking and go with AT&T or Verizon reluctantly.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #5 of 39
I have had T-mobile since they were VoiceStream and even the company before them. I love their service and I have never had a problem that they cannot solve effectively. They have better pricing than any of the other big 3 carries. However, if they do not get the iPhone this year, I will be forced to switch carriers and that does not make me happy. I fear the AT&T news prevented T-Mobile from being in contention for an iPhone and we know T-mobile's parent company does not wish to put more money in to them. Sad.
post #6 of 39
He's waiting for a Blackberry comeback?

While he's at it he might as well wait for a beeper comeback. lol
post #7 of 39
Maybe they should stop running "iPhones suck" ads that mock the mac vs pc campaign? maybe then they will get some love
post #8 of 39
T-Mo did a lot to launch Android. But their Android line-up has been lackluster since Android took off. It's the AWS band. OEM's don't seem to want to support another band. And now it seems to me likeT-Mo just doesn't really want the iPhone. If they get it, that's one less excuse for this merger.
post #9 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayparry View Post

Maybe they should stop running "iPhones suck" ads that mock the mac vs pc campaign? maybe then they will get some love

Verizon did it before and they still got Apple love.
post #10 of 39
Has T-mobile tried calling Apple or are they content to sit home alone on a Saturday night?
post #11 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

It's the AWS band. OEM's don't seem to want to support another band.

Yup. The USA probably only can support 2 or 3 incompatible wireless networks. With T-Mobile's 3G on 1700 MHz AWS, the pool of cell phones to select from is smaller, and their negotiating power for handset discounts weak.

If they had 800/900 MHz and 1900/2100 MHz 3G bands, their cheaper plans would have provided a nice counter to AT&T along with providing compatibility with the ROTW, but with AWS, they are essentially relegated to also rans.

Hopefully Sprint can survive their Nextel and Wimax blunders to be a competitive 3rd player in the USA. They have to convert to LTE ASAP. I don't think T-Mobile can last as long as they've got the AWS band for their 3G, faux G network.

Quote:
And now it seems to me like T-Mo just doesn't really want the iPhone. If they get it, that's one less excuse for this merger.

They want it. Whether they can afford the subsidy is a total different matter, or whether Apple was to support AWS is another matter.
post #12 of 39
There is no technological reason that Apple can't offer a T-Mobile iPhone. So, I think the reason for not doing so is two fold. Apple is only going to release with one new carrier at a time. This helps earnings (as each new carrier will give it a spike and two smaller spikes are better then one large), and makes sure Apple care more adequately judge demand. I also think Apple will go with Sprint first because of the unknown surrounding the AT&T deal.

The number one reason people leave T-Mobile is to go to a carrier with the iPhone. Obviously, T-Mobile wants the iPhone there. There also is over a million unlocked iPhones on T-Mobile US.

If the rumors are true, and Apple offers a iPhone 4GS unlocked for around three hundred dollars, T-Mobile will benefit from that. I will get one for T-Mobile, and sell my 3GS. When the iPhone 5 comes, I will get that and give the other phone to my girlfriend.
post #13 of 39
They can afford the subsidy. They currently offer more expensive phones then the current iPhone. They do so by having tiered unlimited data plans. So, if you want an expensive phone, you have to pay the higher tiered data plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrike View Post

They want it. Whether they can afford the subsidy is a total different matter, or whether Apple was to support AWS is another matter.
post #14 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMinnesotan View Post

Has T-mobile tried calling Apple or are they content to sit home alone on a Saturday night?

If the T-Mo girl was content to sit home alone on a Saturday night, I'd never want to go out ever again!

http://coedmagazine.com/2011/01/03/w...y-foulkes-1/#3
/
/
/

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
post #15 of 39
I read a Sprint person say that Verizon got a six month exclusive where Apple couldn't offer it to anybody new until that time. Sprint might have the same deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMinnesotan View Post

Has T-mobile tried calling Apple or are they content to sit home alone on a Saturday night?
post #16 of 39
I don't believe they need the iPhone not when they are selling the android products so well, wait the return rate is equally well too.
post #17 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

If the T-Mo girl was content to sit home alone on a Saturday night, I'd never want to go out ever again!

http://coedmagazine.com/2011/01/03/w...y-foulkes-1/#3
/
/
/

Smoken!!!!
post #18 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando View Post

He's waiting for a Blackberry comeback?

While he's at it he might as well wait for a beeper comeback. lol

Pre iphone half the email I receive had the footer "sent from my blackberry" whatever. Within a couple months of its release, every one of them changed to saying "sent from my iphone". I can't even think of an exception to this. Anyway at some point the iphone will see some better competition, but I doubt it'll be from RIM.
post #19 of 39
Perhaps they are awaiting the final outcome of the *merger*.
post #20 of 39
T-mobile does not have the iphone.
T-mobile does not have a widely supported band
T-mobile does not even have good android phones (The ones they do have are easily overshadowed by heavyweights exclusives ike the Evo 3d or the Bionic.)
post #21 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

T-mobile does not have the iphone.

post #22 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by majjo View Post

This.

It basically means all the manufacturers have to make a special T-Mobile version of their phones, and not many want to do that; it really limits their phone selection.

Well, to be fair, there are a few markets that AWS is present in, not just the US. So Apple could expand their market further by supporting AWS and gain maybe 20 more markets to choose from. Except that they're being focused like a laser and going for the low hanging fruit first. Once apparently all that is exhausted, they'll probably launch on T-Mobile. I fear, however, that T-Mobile might not be able to last that long to make it through the next year (or more) required to get the iPhone.

Shame, because I really liked T-Mobile. Everything about their respect for the customer and prices. I'll be sad to see them go.

I suspect that Apple thinks that not upsetting their relationship with AT&T while AT&T tries to pull off the merger might be wise. Since AT&T subsidizes the iPhone so much, and it'd be hard for Apple to take a subsidy cut. Because that very much could happen if T-Mobile gets the iPhone with the merger in action. Although that would probably raise anti-competitive concerns.
post #23 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by majjo View Post

This.

It basically means all the manufacturers have to make a special T-Mobile version of their phones, and not many want to do that; it really limits their phone selection.

Wouldn't it just mean they would just need to add support for the T-Mobile frequency, like other manufacturers currently do?
post #24 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

There is no technological reason that Apple can't offer a T-Mobile iPhone. So, I think the reason for not doing so is two fold. Apple is only going to release with one new carrier at a time. This helps earnings (as each new carrier will give it a spike and two smaller spikes are better then one large), and makes sure Apple care more adequately judge demand. I also think Apple will go with Sprint first because of the unknown surrounding the AT&T deal.

The number one reason people leave T-Mobile is to go to a carrier with the iPhone. Obviously, T-Mobile wants the iPhone there. There also is over a million unlocked iPhones on T-Mobile US.

If the rumors are true, and Apple offers a iPhone 4GS unlocked for around three hundred dollars, T-Mobile will benefit from that. I will get one for T-Mobile, and sell my 3GS. When the iPhone 5 comes, I will get that and give the other phone to my girlfriend.

Well, there is and there isn't. There's no reason Apple couldn't make a version of the iPhone for T-Mobile, but they just haven't. Keep in mind that the Sprint & Verizon versions of the iPhone are likely interchangeable except for the carrier lock. T-Mobile shot themselves in the proverbial foot when they decided to implement 3G on an odd band. Supporting T-Mobile means that Apple would have to make a third version of the phone for the US market, for a carrier that is in fourth place w/ 30-odd million customers, and one that isn't doing a very good job of holding onto said customers. What rationale does Apple have there, at least in the long term? Yeah, they'd likely prop up their sales figures for a quarter or two with people converting from other platforms to iOS on T-Mo, but they'd rather quickly reach a saturation point with the carrier. Then what?
post #25 of 39
There is no technical reason for Apple not to offer the iPhone at 3G ,3.7G or 4G speeds to Tmobile USA . They currently use the qualcomm gobi chipset family that offers CDMA/hspa+ on a single chip in every frequency, and soon LTE as well.. Even before the Verizon iPhone appeared, Nokia offered gsm pentaband *3G phones unlocked, so one just had to change the sim card and could use anywhere in the world that is gsm, so Apple could have done the same.There must be other reasons why Apple did not go Tmobile ( AT&T exclusivity comes to mind) but technically not being able is not one.
The world belongs to who wants it , now who deserves it.
Reply
The world belongs to who wants it , now who deserves it.
Reply
post #26 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

What's the story behind this? Can anyone speculate why they have been left till last?

AT&T said no.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #27 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


My thought exactly!

Apple essentially GAVE T-mobile the iPhone. What T-Mobile COULD do is... tell customers to go to the Apple store, purchase the iPhone unlocked, then give their customer a nice $400 rebate for a 2 year service contract. Heck, if Tmobile were to just give $300 rebate, MANY customers would gladly stay with them.
post #28 of 39
"he would love to have the iPhone"
Is easy to beleive - he would love the additional income !
post #29 of 39
This is due to the AT&T acquisition ... so T-Mobile just has to wait (along with all their customers).
post #30 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by axual View Post

This is due to the AT&T acquisition ... so T-Mobile just has to wait (along with all their customers).

Except we don't know that it's going through yet
post #31 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeromeus View Post

My thought exactly!

Apple essentially GAVE T-mobile the iPhone. What T-Mobile COULD do is... tell customers to go to the Apple store, purchase the iPhone unlocked, then give their customer a nice $400 rebate for a 2 year service contract. Heck, if Tmobile were to just give $300 rebate, MANY customers would gladly stay with them.

Problem is that it'll be EDGE data only. Mind as well get a iPod and cheap AWS phone that can WiFi tether.

There's no way to get around it. As long as T-Mobile has the 1700 MHz frequency band for 3G/4G data, they are going to have slim pickings out of the pool of available smartphones. They should have outbid everyone else for the 700 MHz spectrum auction way back. Their survival depended on it.
post #32 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrike View Post

Problem is that it'll be EDGE data only. Mind as well get a iPod and cheap AWS phone that can WiFi tether.

There's no way to get around it. As long as T-Mobile has the 1700 MHz frequency band for 3G/4G data, they are going to have slim pickings out of the pool of available smartphones. They should have outbid everyone else for the 700 MHz spectrum auction way back. Their survival depended on it.

There are 1,000,000 T-mobile subscribers who didn't care about 3G and they went out of their way to get an out of warranty unsupported iphone to use with Tmobile. I'm sure once Tmobile offers the rebate, more people will be willing to get the unlocked iphone which is under warranty, brand new, and apple supported regardless of 3G or 4G.
post #33 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeromeus View Post

There are 1,000,000 T-mobile subscribers who didn't care about 3G and they went out of their way to get an out of warranty unsupported iphone to use with Tmobile.

Not all of those are out of warranty.
post #34 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Not all of those are out of warranty.

People who unlock their iphones are also likely to jailbreak it. That automatically voids their warranty.
post #35 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeromeus View Post

People who unlock their iphones

Implying they didn't buy it unlocked.

Quote:
are also likely to jailbreak it.

You can't unlock without jailbreaking, so it's implied in my response that I'm not talking about that sort of iPhone use at all.
post #36 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Implying they didn't buy it unlocked.



You can't unlock without jailbreaking, so it's implied in my response that I'm not talking about that sort of iPhone use at all.

Go back and read my original post.
post #37 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeromeus View Post

Go back and read my original post.

I read the whole string. And yet here we are again.

Remember the old SATs? It's like that. Not all iPhones on T-Mobile are out of warranty, but all iPhones on T-Mobile are unlocked.
post #38 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeromeus View Post

There are 1,000,000 T-mobile subscribers who didn't care about 3G and they went out of their way to get an out of warranty unsupported iphone to use with Tmobile. I'm sure once Tmobile offers the rebate, more people will be willing to get the unlocked iphone which is under warranty, brand new, and apple supported regardless of 3G or 4G.

I doubt those 1m T-Mobile subscribers with iPhones would give T-Mobile the same amount of revenue that a T-Mobile specific iPhone would. A T-Mobile iPhone is basically $80/mo guaranteed for T-Mobile.

An unlocked iPhone on T-Mobile? Who knows. I certainly believe it is less than $80/mo on average. In addition, a T-Mobile iPhone would likely double or triple the number of iPhones on the network. Force multiplier. They would simply make a lot more money if they could sell an AWS iPhone.
post #39 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I read the whole string. And yet here we are again.

Remember the old SATs? It's like that. Not all iPhones on T-Mobile are out of warranty, but all iPhones on T-Mobile are unlocked.

"There are 1,000,000 T-mobile subscribers who didn't care about 3G and they went out of their way to get an out of warranty unsupported iphone to use with Tmobile. I'm sure once Tmobile offers the rebate, more people will be willing to get the unlocked iphone which is under warranty, brand new, and apple supported regardless of 3G or 4G."

As you can see, I didn't say ALL iphones on T-Mobile are out of warranty. I said people who bought their iphones outside of Apple's official channels are out of warranty and unsupported by Apple. Well, I didn't say that word for word, but it's implied.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Android-dominated T-Mobile still waiting for Apple's iPhone call