or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple invites press to 'talk iPhone' at media event on Oct. 4
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple invites press to 'talk iPhone' at media event on Oct. 4 - Page 3

post #81 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

1) Covered in the original article.

Thanks. I obviously missed the first sentence of the article.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #82 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

I heard it'll support LTE and have a curved screen.

i heard it is going to be unibody lucite.
post #83 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by iReality85 View Post

Hmm, iPhone 4S or iPhone 5?

Judging from past invitations, Apple loves hidden meanings. I'm seeing a lot of "4" references here.

- The 4th of October as a double entendre.

- 4 icons.

- The sum of all visible digits, divided by the number of icons:
4+10+280+1=295.
2+9+5=16.
16/4=4

Or, If you take the map icon as meaning 1 Infinite Loop:
4+10+1+1=16
16/4=4.


Ok, I'll put my tinfoil hat away!

Why not 4+1 (4 icons + 1 missed call) = 5? ))))))
iPod, iPhone, iCloud, iOS and something else???? )))))
post #84 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by skimmy23ser View Post

number 1 next to phone icon, could it be that Apple is releasing just 1 iPhone? "lets talk iPhone- singular-hmmm.

good observation...
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Reply
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Reply
post #85 of 189
I know it's the year of the iPad 2 and all. But I'm really hope that "One more thing...." becomes, "And here's the iPad 3."
post #86 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I look forward to all the wild theories about the teaser image.

Wait, no longer.

Clearly, the badge showing the #1 on the phone icon means that there will only be one iPhone released. Also, it will be a minor hardware update because the #1 is just a small addition to the icon. Finally, it will be called the iPhone 4 something because there are only four icons and not 5. The big upgrade will be software, not hardware.
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Reply
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Reply
post #87 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

About damn time. Fingers crossed that the new iPhone is everything it should be, and not just a 4s minor spec bump.

And just what, in your opinion, should it be? I'm dying to read your reply.
Apple, bigger than Google, ..... bigger than Microsoft,   The universe is unfolding as it should. Thanks, Apple.
Reply
Apple, bigger than Google, ..... bigger than Microsoft,   The universe is unfolding as it should. Thanks, Apple.
Reply
post #88 of 189
Wonder if Apple's trademarked iAsk
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #89 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

Wait, no longer.

Clearly, the badge showing the #1 on the phone icon means that there will only be one iPhone released. Also, it will be a minor hardware update because the #1 is just a small addition to the icon. Finally, it will be called the iPhone 4 something because there are only four icons and not 5. The big upgrade will be software, not hardware.

Obviously a joke...

How can Apple introduce the new iPhone/s without reference to iOS 5? Surely it will come with IOS 5 pre-installed?
post #90 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Obviously a joke...

How can Apple introduce the new iPhone/s without reference to iOS 5? Surely it will come with IOS 5 pre-installed?

Absolutely! I'm just saying that the hardware will be essentially the iPhone 4. The software will be iOS 5 plus some stuff not available in the betas. As ever, it will be the software experience that sets the next iPhone apart from the wannabes.
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Reply
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Reply
post #91 of 189
Let's talk iPhone! The only thing that means is that iPod Touch its going to dissapear.

Apple knows that device it's a waste of technology, for that reason it is going to be converted in an iPhone, easier to get one (note that I don't say cheaper) for people that don't like contracts. You can buy it as a Touch if you don't want the phone, it isn't obligatory.That's the best response Apple could give back to Google's Android devices (most of them cheaper in quality).

With a converted-to-phone iPod Touch Apple will put in the market an excellent device with high quality that no Android could match, in fact, they'll distract all other manufacturers to compete with that phone while the iPhone 5 will remain untouched up in its throne. That's an excellent strategy, and I'm pretty sure that's what's going to happen the next 4th.

Update: Why am I so sure? well, facts:

- There wasn't a new iPhone this year's june. It's been always in june since 2007.
- There wasn't a music event this year's september. It's been always in september the new iPod models.
- This october 4th event calls it Let's talk iPhone! so, what's with the new iPods? That one is too obvious.
- A lot of people do not buy iPhones because of the contract.
- Apple needs to give more options.
lvidal.-
Reply
lvidal.-
Reply
post #92 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by eksodos View Post

I'm so excited for this moment to arrive, this will be the happiest day of my life.

Can we take it then that you're a virgin? Or perhaps your experiences in that department haven't been so hot ...

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply
post #93 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvidal View Post

Let's talk iPhone! The only thing that means is that iPod Touch its going to dissapear.

Makes no sense.

Apple sells two iPod touches for every three iPhones. The demographics of the two products are considerably different. The iPod touch sells primarily to the 13-24 age bracket (basically young people who can't afford expensive monthly smartphone fees); the iPhone sells primarily to the 25-49 age bracket.

Steve himself has called the iPod touch as "training wheels" for the iPhone. Today's young iPod touch owners will be future iPhone owners.

Additionally, the iPod touch has no credible competitors now that Microsoft has killed off the Zune. The iPod touch is now the best selling model in the iPod family. If Apple wanted to kill off an iPod model (or two), the likely candidate would be the iPod classic followed by a merging of the shuffle and nano.
post #94 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Makes no sense.

Apple sells two iPod touches for every three iPhones. The demographics of the two products are considerably different. The iPod touch sells primarily to the 13-24 age bracket (basically young people who can't afford expensive monthly smartphone fees); the iPhone sells primarily to the 25-49 age bracket.

Steve himself has called the iPod touch as "training wheels" for the iPhone. Today's young iPod touch owners will be future iPhone owners.

Additionally, the iPod touch has no credible competitors now that Microsoft has killed off the Zune. The iPod touch is now the best selling model in the iPod family. If Apple wanted to kill off an iPod model (or two), the likely candidate would be the iPod classic followed by a merging of the shuffle and nano.

First: read my post update.
Second: For apple to add phone capabilities for the Touch it's a no-brainer, that does cost nothing. YOU'll have the option to use the phone part of it. If you want it to be just what it is now, then buy it as is. Nothing to lose here.
lvidal.-
Reply
lvidal.-
Reply
post #95 of 189
Maybe all these assumptions have nothing to do with only one iPhone, or no new iPhone 5, or the date means this, or the icons mean this. The "Lets Talk iPhone" could mean the new voice software and the fact that it's happening on 10/4 could be a reference to 10-4, as in the old hand radio command.

I'm guessing the iPhone 5 will be pretty much, AWESOME!
post #96 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

The i4 is more than most people need. Unless the form factor is changed, and even if it is a "winner" (however anybody wants to define THAT) it will be hard to see it as major.

But loosey-goosey words aside, lots of people have been waiting a long time, and expect something more than an old style phone with a few better specs. Many of those folks might be disappointed with less than what was expected.

The thing is it doesn't matter what it is some people will claim disappointment.

It could have an An 8 Core A6 that uses no power and performs better than any desktop PC ever made, an 8 inch screen that physically only takes up the space of a four inch screen, lighter than air, thinner than paper, antenna that can reach your home calling network from anywhere on the planet, and it would not matter. Some forum user would say he is disappointed and switching to Android. He would say that since it does not have odd feature X that he expected, it is fail. (Odd feature X is inevitably something everyone needs on a phone like a laser pointer or pocket knife).

having said that. The iPhone is not designed as a compelling upgrade to people who just purchased an iPhone 4....
post #97 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by iReality85 View Post

Well, I was going by the implied meaning of the clock, which is "10 AM"


Also, more tinfoil hatting (I can't help myself):

The number of characters in "Let's talk iPhone." (including apostrophe and period) is 16.

16, as we all know, is a perfect square of 4.

Each of the icons has...... gasp..... four sides!
post #98 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

I know it's the year of the iPad 2 and all. But I'm really hope that "One more thing...." becomes, "And here's the iPad 3."

I'm not sure about iPad 3, but it would be cool for Tim Cook to keep the "one more thing..." tradition alive.
post #99 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

The thing is it doesn't matter what it is some people will claim disappointment.

It could have an An 8 Core A6 that uses no power and performs better than any desktop PC ever made, an 8 inch screen that physically only takes up the space of a four inch screen, lighter than air, thinner than paper, antenna that can reach your home calling network from anywhere on the planet, and it would not matter. Some forum user would say he is disappointed and switching to Android. He would say that since it does not have odd feature X that he expected, it is fail. (Odd feature X is inevitably something everyone needs on a phone like a laser pointer or pocket knife).

having said that. The iPhone is not designed as a compelling upgrade to people who just purchased an iPhone 4....

+1 Let the whining begin.
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #100 of 189
The images plainly reveal what Apple is going to do.

The calander image lists "Tuesday", which, as we all know is borrowed from the Latin des Martis, which associates the day with the planet Mars--the fourth planet in our solar system. Couple this with the number four in the image and you get two 4s (or 4S). It's plain to see that Apple will be announcing an iPhone 4S, rather than an iPhone 5.

The second icon shows a clock, which replaced the sun dial centuries ago. This represents the iPhone 4S being powered by the sun via solar panels.

The map shows two intersecting yellow lines which, if zoomed out, would form a cross. If you remember, the original iPhone was dubbed the "Jesus Phone" by many fans. The symbol here shows that the new iPhone will actually fulfill this fanboy wish, in that it will allow the user to speak directly to God.

And finally, the phone image shows a white phone, along with the number 1, which represents the fact that the new iPhone will only come in white for the first few months, likely due to a painting-process error on the black versions, similar to what delayed the white iPhone 4.

It's all so simple. It's right there for everyone to look at; you just need to open your eyes.
post #101 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by guch20 View Post

The images plainly reveal what Apple is going to do.

The calander image lists "Tuesday", which, as we all know is borrowed from the Latin des Martis, which associates the day with the planet Mars--the fourth planet in our solar system. Couple this with the number four in the image and you get two 4s (or 4S). It's plain to see that Apple will be announcing an iPhone 4S, rather than an iPhone 5.

The second icon shows a clock, which replaced the sun dial centuries ago. This represents the iPhone 4S being powered by the sun via solar panels.

The map shows two intersecting yellow lines which, if zoomed out, would form a cross. If you remember, the original iPhone was dubbed the "Jesus Phone" by many fans. The symbol here shows that the new iPhone will actually fulfill this fanboy wish, in that it will allow the user to speak directly to God.

And finally, the phone image shows a white phone, along with the number 1, which represents the fact that the new iPhone will only come in white for the first few months, likely due to a painting-process error on the black versions, similar to what delayed the white iPhone 4.

It's all so simple. It's right there for everyone to look at; you just need to open your eyes.

Geez, I so stoopit.
post #102 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Geez, I so stoopit.

It's ok, my real name is "whatever that guy's name is from The DaVinci Code."
post #103 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwlaw99 View Post

If it has LTE on Verizon, I will probably get one. I don't want to wait another 2 years for LTE.

4G is a dealbreaker for me. I really hope it has 4G but, from what I am reading, it may not have it.
post #104 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by guch20 View Post

The images plainly reveal what Apple is going to do.

etc. etc. etc.

It's all so simple. It's right there for everyone to look at; you just need to open your eyes.

You left out the explanation for the period.
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #105 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Each of the icons has...... gasp..... four sides!

Correction: those icons have more than 4 sides. If it's a square, then yes, it has 4 sides. But those aren't squares... The rounded edge give the icons infinite sides.
post #106 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Each of the icons has...... gasp..... four sides!

Which brings me to the corners...
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #107 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeromeus View Post

Correction: those icons have more than 4 sides. If it's a square, then yes, it has 4 sides. But those aren't squares... The rounded edge give the icons infinite sides.

Rounded edges mean we're getting curved glass on all sides.
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
Reply
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
Reply
post #108 of 189
I think the changes are gonna be conservative. Some spec bumps, better camera, and ios 5. I remember the past few years of Apple events, and no device really had a massive leap over its predecessor (with the iphone 4 being the biggest leap, and if i remember correctly, people were still unhappy because of the UI being the same).

I think it'll be ballsy moves by Apple if:

There's a bigger screen
Different form factor from ip4
Announce more than one phone
Has 4G

My full prediction is: Tim Cook appears starts talking about Apple's success for a while. Shows off the new Iphone 5. It look pretty much like the iphone 4 except it has a touch sensitive menu button. Talks about the new specs (A5, more ram, better battery life, etc). He'll emphasize how the graphics are a lot better. Then a popular app developer will appear showing off the new graphics with a new game. Tim Cook reappears, calls an Apple person out to show off the camera and its new features. Cook comes back out, talks about ios 5, introduces another Apple person, who proceeds to give a demo on how the new phone works with ios5. Finally, Cook comes back and tells us the price, and announces that the phone will appear, for the first time ever, on Sprint. There will be a "And one more thing" moment, where Cook announces 3G facetime...and calls up Steve Jobs. (ok maybe that ones a stretch).

The order of how all this happens is probably different, but this is what I'm expecting when i sit down and watch. So if anything more is added I'll be even happier
post #109 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by skimmy23ser View Post

number 1 next to phone icon, could it be that Apple is releasing just 1 iPhone? "lets talk iPhone- singular-hmmm.

1 iPhone - My though exactly. You beat me to the Post :-)
post #110 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

I heard it'll support LTE and have a curved screen.

A curved screen doesn't sound terribly user friendly for a touchscreen device.

Most Apple rumors that are posted to tech media sites end up being incorrect, probably around 98%. You just can't count on anything that doesn't emanate from Apple.com to be factual.
post #111 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

You left out the explanation for the period.

iPad 3?
post #112 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Each of the icons has...... gasp..... four sides!

I think you could be on to something here.
post #113 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

You left out the explanation for the period.

The period means that it'll be presented by a woman who hasn't reach menopause.
post #114 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

iPad 3?

Clever response!
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
Reply
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
Reply
post #115 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee View Post

And just what, in your opinion, should it be? I'm dying to read your reply.

Larger screen, thinner, 8 MP camera, HSDPA+ at least. Anything less, and it won't even be as good as Samsung's 5 month old Galaxy S II, which would be just plain wrong considering how long they've been working on it.
post #116 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

The iPhone is not designed as a compelling upgrade to people who just purchased an iPhone 4....

Why not? While you could make that argument for the 3G<3Gs, you'd be hard pressed to do the same for the Original iPhone<3G, or the 3Gs<iPhone 4. With stiff competition from phones like the Galaxy S II, I don't think Apple can afford not to raise the bar again. You don't remain the market leader by getting complacent.
post #117 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by iReality85 View Post

Hmm, iPhone 4S or iPhone 5?

Judging from past invitations, Apple loves hidden meanings. I'm seeing a lot of "4" references here.

- The 4th of October as a double entendre.

- 4 icons.

- The sum of all visible digits, divided by the number of icons:
4+10+280+1=295.
2+9+5=16.
16/4=4

Or, If you take the map icon as meaning 1 Infinite Loop:
4+10+1+1=16
16/4=4.


Ok, I'll put my tinfoil hat away!

4 is cosmic.....
four = 4
one = 3 (three) = 5 (five) = 4
ten = 3 (three) = 5 (five) =4
twohundredeighty = 16 (sixteen) =7 (seven) = 5 (five) = 4

Anyway - I'm getting one of them whatever it is.
post #118 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

I heard it'll support LTE and have a curved screen.

You heard wrong.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #119 of 189
And remember this, kiddies... No matter what happens, you'll feel terribly let down, whine and cry about what it "shoulda been", and end up buying one anyway.

Introducing iPhone 4S, now with built in Pez dispenser!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #120 of 189
3gs with iphone 4 internals and the ipod touch retina display for $99.

iPhone 4 materials too expensive to be cost effective at the $99 level. An actual improvement to this phone, and we're really dreaming that they can hit the $99 level.

OR, we can look at it as an 8gb ipod touch with a cellular radio. $99 on contract, $350 unsubsidized.

Either way, nothing about the iPhone 4 screams "budget" from a business standpoint.

BUT, WTF do i know...haha.

Also, my take on the teaser image is...

first icon: day and date of event
second icon: local time (Pacific) of the event
third icon: the location (picture of 1 infinite loop, CA on the map)
fourth icon: iPhone missed call (missed the June announcement, pushed back to October)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple invites press to 'talk iPhone' at media event on Oct. 4