or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › T-Mobile wants iPhone, appeases customers with Android alternatives

T-Mobile wants iPhone, appeases customers with Android alternatives

post #1 of 51
In a blog posting to its customers, T-Mobile' s chief marketing officer Cole Brodman noted that many of its customers are "disappointed that we dont carry the iPhone," answering that "Apple knows that wed like to add it to our line-up" while offering Android-based alternatives in the meantime.

Brodman stated that T-Mobile now hosts over one million unlocked iPhones on its network, but because it is unable to officially sell Apple's popular smartphone, it recommends Android alternatives, which it says it is confident will "rival or beat any smartphone out there in terms of functionality, speed, overall experience and features including the iPhone."

T-Mobile specifically recommends Samsung's Galaxy S II or HTC's Amaze, both of which support T-Mobile's 4G service plans. None of Apple's existing iPhone models support T-Mobile's 4G or even its non-standard 3G service in the US, leaving its million iPhone users stuck with EDGE-style mobile service.

Apple has filed for worldwide injunctions barring the sale of Samsung's Galaxy S II, and has already won a preliminary injection in the Netherlands, on the basis that the Galaxy S II appears to violate Apple's proprietary patents related to how it displays and navigates photos.

"Android is rivaling and even outpacing the iPhone," Brodman wrote, "including consumer adoption, market share and capabilities like support for faster 4G networks. Moreover, Android offers consumers the freedom of choice. You can choose from a variety of colors, screen sizes, slide-out keyboards, price points and customization options, as well as enjoy the numerous benefits of open source innovation, cloud services and amazing apps."

If Android's freedom of choice were actually winning over T-Mobile's customers, Brodman wouldn't have needed to beg his customers to consider the alternatives his company can actually sell as opposed to the iPhone, which T-Mobile can't currently sell via its official sales channel.

While Apple is rumored to soon bring the iPhone to Sprint, America's third largest network, there have been no credible reports of an iPhone model that will support T-Mobile's non-standard UMTS 3G frequencies, which are unique to T-Mobile's US market and not used by any other GSM-type carrier worldwide.

AT&T hopes to acquire T-Mobile and repurpose the fourth largest US carrier's radio spectrum to deliver LTE service in the US. Apple's existing iPhone do not yet support 4G but will likely adopt the new "4G" LTE networks being rolled out by Verizon and AT&T over the next year.
post #2 of 51
"Blah blah, we want it but we refuse to do anything for it, blah blah, we deserve to just be given it because we're a telecom and we make the rules blah blah, sorry, it's entirely Apple's fault, blah blah, here's the crap that we have instead."

That's T-Mobile right now.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

post #3 of 51
Tallest, could you do us a favor and summarize all the articles here in that manner? It'd be like a snarky "Cliffs Notes" version we could skim when we don't have time to digest the whole article.
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
post #4 of 51
Headlines are comical, so buttery toward apple. It's funny, which is good, but hurts credibility and legitimacy.
post #5 of 51
The statement that no one else uses the T-Mobile UTMS frequencies anywhere else in the world is incorrect. There are at least 3 providers in Canada (Wind, Moblicity and Videotron) that run on the AWS frequency.
post #6 of 51
deleted
post #7 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

If Android's freedom of choice were actually winning over T-Mobile's customers, Brodman wouldn't have needed to beg his customers to consider the alternatives

Get a Mac?
post #8 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

I knew it was a Digler the moment I read "appeases".

Me too!
post #9 of 51
T-Mobile is acting short-sighted in this case or just doesn't care anymore knowing it will either be eaten up by AT&T or Sprint. AT&T paid major money for the iPhone, as did Verizon, and likewise with Sprint. If T-Mobile wanted to survive, it would cough up the money to Apple and take a temporary loss for a MAJOR long-term gain.
post #10 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErosLWS View Post

T-Mobile will be eaten up by Sprint

Who isn't even attempting to buy T-Mobile

Quote:
paid major money for the iPhone Sprint

Who doesn't even have the iPhone

Seriously, people, are you reading what you're typing?

post #11 of 51
Is this guy working for a technology company or a cereal box maker? IF it's a technology company, then this guy Broadman is THE WORST CMO in the history of mankind.

IF, he is really 'waiting for " that call" from Apple', then he should be fired immediately. If I was a stockholder in ANY PART of T-Mumble I would be screaming for hie replacement.
post #12 of 51
You've got a million iPhones that you DIDN'T subsidize, that are running the worst possible data speed (and thus putting minimal strain on your network), while you're collecting the same monthly fees that you otherwise would.

Seriously, what are you complaining about?! Especially considering that no carrier has a 4G iPhone, and your 3G is non-standard.
post #13 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstring View Post

Headlines are comical, so buttery toward apple. It's funny, which is good, but hurts credibility and legitimacy.

The headline seems fairly accurate to me.

I think that T-Mobile is the only major carrier in the US to not offer the iPhone and they'd obviously kill to have it. They're not stupid and businesses are usually in the business of making money. Since they can't currently offer their customers what many of them want, they have to try and entice their customers with some lesser choices, such as a few different Android models.

People who want iPhones are not going to be happy with some second rate Android phone. They want the silky smoothness of iOS, they want Apple's appstore along with the huge selection and they want Apple's industrial design.
post #14 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Who isn't even attempting to buy T-Mobile

Who doesn't even have the iPhone

Seriously, people, are you reading what you're typing?

Read the reason why they are opposing the AT&T and T-Mobile merger. Sprint believes an AT&T buyout is anti-competitive but a Sprint buy-out would make Sprint competitive with the big two.

Sprint is almost certainly getting the iPhone (vacation blackouts, rampant rumors, etc.). It's not a fact yet, but welcome to rumors websites.

post #15 of 51
Quote:

Read the reason why they are opposing the AT&T and T-Mobile merger. Sprint believes an AT&T buyout is anti-competitive but a Sprint buy-out would make Sprint competitive with the big two.

And they'd go bankrupt dismantling T-Mobile's infrastructure and replacing it with LTE/CDMA or they'd go bankrupt dismantling their infrastructure and replacing it with LTE/GSM, so I don't really see how that makes any sense.

Quote:
Sprint is almost certainly getting the iPhone (vacation blackouts, rampant rumors, etc.). It's not a fact yet, but welcome to rumors websites.

Except they don't have it until it's said by Apple.

Quote:

Presenting rumor as fact. It makes you look like a complete idiot. I would know.

post #16 of 51
Quote:

I knew it was a Digler the moment I read "appeases".

Guess I'm a little slow. It took me until "If Android's freedom of choice were actually winning over T-Mobile's customers, Brodman wouldn't have needed to beg his customers to consider the alternatives" to think DED.
post #17 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by msuberly View Post

Guess I'm a little slow. It took me until "If Android's freedom of choice were actually winning over T-Mobile's customers, Brodman wouldn't have needed to beg his customers to consider the alternatives" to think DED.

Guys, why does any of this matter? Who is this guy? Who gives a frick? Seriously, this is as annoying as that one guy who doesn't post anything but "OH TYPO HERP DERP".

post #18 of 51
I don't Apple will ever make any effort to make the iPhone compatible with T-Mobile's 3G frequency because the market is just too small. They should pray that the baseband chip Apple chose to put in iPhone 5 will just happen to support their AWS band. I think this is the best they can hope for.
US consumers are screwed. In most of the rest of the world, multiple carriers share the 2100 band happily. In the US, not only are there only two GSM carriers, but also one of them has to use an uncommon band. Essentially there is no portability at all; if you switch carrier you pretty much have to change your phone unless you don't use 3G data. And now at&t is saying buying T-Mobile will provide more competition.
post #19 of 51
Ugh, your customers want gold you offer them toe cheese.
post #20 of 51
I bet the next iPhone will work perfectly with T-Mobile 3G but Apple will not sign a deal with T-Mobile to offer the iPhone subsidized.

Quote:

Guys, why does any of this matter? Who is this guy? Who gives a frick? Seriously, this is as annoying as that one guy who doesn't post anything but "OH TYPO HERP DERP".

We have many DED stalkers here.
post #21 of 51
I don't think you understand business. Apple wants to be on all the carriers. But as a starting point, AT&T didn't pay Apple anything other then its subsidies for the iPhone. AT&T gave Apple control of the customer experience, Apple gave AT&T exclusivity. AT&T gained tremendously because the iPhone became huge. Google, however, benefited because it used Apple's exclusivity with AT&T against Apple to become entrenched on the other networks. All Verizon got was a six month period of exclusivity. Maybe Sprint has the same.

It doesn't, however, make sense for Apple to open the flood gates to all carriers at once. By opening it up to one carrier at a time, Apple can 1) better manage inventory; and 2) better sustain growth. If Apple goes Sprint this quarter it will get a sales bump, which will translate into earnings. If it then goes T-Mobile next quarter, it then will get another sales bump next Quarter. For earnings purposes that is better.

Also having carriers initially come on board in different Quarters also manages future sales better because people's contracts expiring will be spread out into different Quarters over the networks. For instance, the iPhone was introduced on Verizon and AT&T's networks in different Quarters so Apple can expect renewals to be spread out.

Apple benefits from their being as many carriers as possible as it provides it more leverage when negotiating subsidies. It only makes sense for Apple to bring Sprint on board first considering the uncertainty with T-Mobile's future. Apple doesn't want Sprint's customers fleeing. T-Mobile will come on board last if AT&T doesn't buy it.

Quote:

T-Mobile is acting short-sighted in this case or just doesn't care anymore knowing it will either be eaten up by AT&T or Sprint. AT&T paid major money for the iPhone, as did Verizon, and likewise with Sprint. If T-Mobile wanted to survive, it would cough up the money to Apple and take a temporary loss for a MAJOR long-term gain.
post #22 of 51
Dear T-Mobile,

I've been a loyal customer of T-Mobile for many years. Although I've ached for an iPhone since its introduction, I felt it was merely a matter of time before you'd have it since the mothership in Germany was the exclusive carrier in that country. I'd always been impressed with T-Mobile's customer service and felt the combination of your service and Apple's iPhone would be nirvana in mobile communications.

I waited, and I waited. Each year, Apple introduced yet another updated iPhone without T-Mobile USA. I frustratingly continued to wait. Still no iPhone.

Now, we're on the cusp of iPhone 5 and you not only won't be on the bandwagon but now blame Apple.

Well, T-Mobile, I'm done. This will mark my last month with T-Mobile. I've not yet decided with whom I'll go with but whoever it is will offer the iPhone. I suspect I'll not be alone this time around. I'm confident your customer base will diminish considerably and not only because you don't have the iPhone but because you have morons for managers who don't have a clue that a manager's job is to make things happen, not wait for things to happen. If you really wanted the iPhone, you'd have it. I suggest you talk to managers in the mothership in Germany and learn your job. They obviously know how to make things happen.

Sincerely,
A soon to be former customer.
post #23 of 51
Although the BGR {BoyGeniusReports} article {http://www.bgr.com/2011/04/23/exclusive-apple-testing-iphone-4-for-t-mobile-usa/} is one of the few articles supporting my prediction, 26 pictures of different EVT field tests are harder to deny than none. {http://www.bgr.com/nggallery/page-320/album-all/gallery-158/image/2104/}. According to a macnn.com article, Apple has 2 field tests phases: EVT and AP; the AP phase, which is after the EVT phase, is just before it hits the store shelves for sale. {http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/10/18/verizon.iphone.may.be.in.last.testing.stages/}. The iPhone N94 Prototype was tested on T-Mobile's 3G frequency bands; and it seems that this prototype went through 2 EVT phases when we take a closer look at the picture macrumors.com gave us. {http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/26/iphone-n94-prototype-back-cover-is-this-actually-the-iphone-5/}. This prototype then went into the AP testing phase and received an FCC ID soon after. {http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/09/02/fifth_gen_iphone_fcc_id_revealed_in_ios_5_beta_7_r eaffirms_imminent_announcment.html}. Unless there were more than one iPhone N94 model tested for other networks such as Sprint, I would place my bets on T-Mobile getting before or at the same time Sprint gets it on this Oct. 4. This predictions occurs whether AT&T acquires them or not. I haven't yet seen any physical evidence such as these for a Sprint iPhone; and after talking with a few of their sales representatives, the company's management has not received any word either.
post #24 of 51
[URL="the actual URL of the website"]Here's how to do a real link[URL]

Just put a backslash in front of the closing URL.

post #25 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tingri View Post

Dear T-Mobile,

I've been a loyal customer of T-Mobile for many years. Although I've ached for an iPhone since its introduction, I felt it was merely a matter of time before you'd have it since the mothership in Germany was the exclusive carrier in that country. I'd always been impressed with T-Mobile's customer service and felt the combination of your service and Apple's iPhone would be nirvana in mobile communications.

I waited, and I eek of . Each year, Apple introduced yet another updated iPhone without T-Mobile USA. I frustratingly continued to wait. Still no iPhone.

Now, we're on the cusp of iPhone 5 and you not only won't be on the bandwagon but now blame Apple.

Well, T-Mobile, I'm done. This will mark my last month with T-Mobile. I've not yet decided with whom I'll go with but whoever it is will offer the iPhone. I suspect I'll not be alone this time around. I'm confident your customer base will diminish considerably and not only because you don't have the iPhone but because you have morons for managers who don't have a clue that a manager's job is to make things happen, not wait for things to happen. If you really wanted the iPhone, you'd have it. I suggest you talk to managers in the mothership in Germany and learn your job. They obviously know how to make things happen.

Sincerely,
A soon to be former customer.

Agree with Tingri
If T-mobile will not get iPhone 5 with AT&T/Verizon and Sprint I will terminate my relationship with TMO (Voicestream) which I have for 10+ years and go probably to Sprint.
post #26 of 51
Quote:

"Blah blah, we want it but we refuse to do anything for it, blah blah, we deserve to just be given it because we're a telecom and we make the rules blah blah, sorry, it's entirely Apple's fault, blah blah, here's the crap that we have instead."

That's pretty concise and accurate -- are you sure you aren't a Professional Journalist?

T-Mobile WISHES to sell the iPhone -- but cannot yet. Android is outpacing the iPhone -- because it is cheap and available. People want smartphones and the Android is "good enough". But it is clear, when the iPhone is available, people always prefer it over the alternatives.

As soon as AT&T buys up T-Mobile and they have the iPhone, the Galaxy Tab will be a throw-away purchase.
post #27 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

While Apple is rumored to soon bring the iPhone to Sprint, America's third largest network, there have been no credible reports of an iPhone model that will support T-Mobile's non-standard UMTS 3G frequencies, which are unique to T-Mobile's US market and not used by any other GSM-type carrier worldwide.

Might wanna check your facts before you publish your articles, there are three new providers in Canada that run on AWS HSPA+ like T-Mobile does, Videotron, Wind and Mobilicity. Also, AT&T and MetroPCS own AWS bands in the US, though they're not using them just yet. They both plan to use them for their LTE network. Just saying'!
post #28 of 51
deleted
post #29 of 51
Quote:

They're asking to sell it. They've stated publicly that they'd like to sell it as opposed to simply hosting jailbroken (blah I made up that word) phones on their network. Why not post something constructive like what you'd expect them to do here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Ugh, your customers want gold you offer them toe cheese.

Again this is a stupid comment. You're actually blaming them for selling what they have available which is just remarkably stupid. Do you really think Verizon pushed the iphone before they received it?

Quote:

Oh joy.... another person with misinformation. AT&T put up a lot of money for an exclusivity contract, but I don't recall that being upfront. Apple received a portion of the earnings from them after Verizon turned down similar terms. When did they ever write a big check? Verizon was the obvious choice after AT&T due to sheer subscriber volume. Anyway what were you expecting them to fund?

Edit: My guess is that Apple is waiting to see if one of the other carriers will take over T-Mobile in the near future.
post #30 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmm View Post

They're asking to sell it.

They go to Apple. Not the other way around.

Quote:
Why not post something constructive like what you'd expect them to do here?

'Kay.

Here's something constructive. The question every shareholder needs to ask T-Mobile: "Why don't you morons man up and ask Apple what you have to give them to get the iPhone?"

Quote:
Do you really think Verizon pushed the iphone before they received it?

All the more reason this move from T-Mobile is so pathetic.

post #31 of 51
Quote:

Here's something constructive. The question every shareholder needs to ask T-Mobile: "Why don't you morons man up and ask Apple what you have to give them to get the iPhone?"

Euros, right? Large piles of them.

post #32 of 51
Quote:

They go to Apple. Not the other way around.

'Kay.

All the more reason this move from T-Mobile is so pathetic.

You have both anger and an agenda here. What makes you think they haven't tried to go to Apple? I would think they would have tried to set up meetings like this in the past. They're selling what is currently available to them, and people are bringing iphones onto their network anyway. Like I said Apple might be waiting to see if a takeover is imminent. The potential sales volume might not be high enough to warrant this taking priority with obvious last minute work needed on whatever will be the next iphone generation. Apple has their priorities and a finite number of employees just like any other company, so they do have to pick and choose what they work on and when. If a takeover doesn't happen I still wouldn't expect to see the iphone make it to T-mobile until after Sprint.
post #33 of 51
Why can't Apple simply add radio support for T-Mobile's 3G band and call it a day? Oh I know, GREED. Apple would be able to sell unsubsidized iPhone's by the truckload in this scenario but instead choose to provide only to the carriers they can milk. With highly competitive pricing and smallest subscriber count, T-Mobile simply can't afford to participate in this fleecing.

I like the iPhone, but not enough to jump ship. The problem with Sprint is that their network is awful (just wait until people realize they are getting 2G speeds on Sprint's 3G network and 3G speeds on Sprint's very sparse 4G network). AT&T and Verizon are just too crazy expensive. Fortunately, despite what all the Apple evangelists spew, there are plenty of very nice Android phones that already do and will continue to fit most of my needs. At least I can still tether off to my iPad AND T-Mobile won't charge me extra or gripe about it.
post #34 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmm View Post

You have both anger and an agenda here.

My agenda is to find out why they're sitting on their butts about this.

Quote:
What makes you think they haven't tried to go to Apple?

The part where he says, "We're waiting for Apple's call."

Quote:
The potential sales volume might not be high enough to warrant this taking priority with obvious last minute work needed on whatever will be the next iphone generation.

Well, we have a million iPhones on T-Mobile now. That's not good enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo42 View Post

Why can't Apple simply add radio support for T-Mobile's 3G band and call it a day? Oh I know, GREED.

No, not really. Not at all, in fact.

post #35 of 51
Quote:

My agenda is to find out why they're sitting on their butts about this.

The part where he says, "We're waiting for Apple's call."

Well, we have a million iPhones on T-Mobile now. That's not good enough?

No, not really. Not at all, in fact.

Stop being so thick headed. T-Mobile either can't afford to pay Apple for the iPhone, or Apple has an agreement with other carriers not to give it to them. If you have some other (logical) explanation, feel free to provide it.
post #36 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo42 View Post

T-Mobile either can't afford to pay Apple for the iPhone

But they can subsidize Android phones that cost the same amount? If you think 'afford' is about paying Apple to add the 1700MHz band, Apple has to do that for other carriers, anyway.

Quote:
or Apple has an agreement with other carriers not to give it to them.

Is that even legal?

post #37 of 51
They are likely blaming Apple because they probably did approach Apple and Apple told them they'd get the iPhone when they got bought out. That and Apple probably asked for the BOD's first-born children to get the iPhone now.

T-Mo isn't Verizon. Apple isn't going to go out of their way to support them. If you were Apple why would you not wait for T-Mo to get bought? This is probably what's frustrating T-Mo's CMO.
post #38 of 51
deleted
post #39 of 51
Quote:

Why does it matter to you?

Are you unhappy with your current iPhone experience?

I have no current iPhone experience. That has nothing to do with it, nor should it.

The more carriers actually have to fight, the less collusion there is, the better my cell prices are.

And the better the cell hardware is if we get every band known to mankind supported.

post #40 of 51
T-Mobile is pretty much in "closure" mode now anyway, right? Either they get gobbled by AT&T or they close shop. That's their argument for merging with AT&T in the first place!

If T-Mobile got the iPhone5 that would tide it over but the spectrum AFAIK is not compatible with AT&T and Verizon so no way in heck Apple is going to tailor one for them.

T-Mobile got 1700 and 1900 spectrum but the compatible spectrum with world standards for GSM 3G is 1900 and 2100 MHz as well as 850 and 900 (all in mhz).

Part of their mistake was in not rolling out enough 3G in the 1900mhz band.

If Sprint gets iPhone 5 that's pretty much game over for T-Mobile.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › T-Mobile wants iPhone, appeases customers with Android alternatives