or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Amazon Kindle Fire aims to undercut Apple's iPad with $199 price
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Amazon Kindle Fire aims to undercut Apple's iPad with $199 price - Page 7

post #241 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggernaut30 View Post

I really hope this competition forces Apple to reconsider the 7" form factor. An iPad Nano or iPad light with 7" screen, no GPS or camera would be great and could really compete in this space. Or if they don't want to make Steve look bad for bashing the 7" form factor they could call it an iPod Touch HD. I would love to have something like this in my house. And with an iTunes library that is now cresting 1 Terabyte in size with ~100 apps in it I really don't want to repurchase apps for a different device.

Bottom line is that competition is good and I really hope Tim steps up to this tablet challenger.

If, by "competition" you mean throw everything at the wall and desperately hope something sticks, then I hope you are sorely disappointed by Tim Cook.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #242 of 303
now that I actually watched the video and saw some quotes...

"It wasnt overly explicit, but Jeff Bezos took a pretty big shot at Apple and the iPad this morning while introducing the new Kindle Fire: he flashed a photo of Apples white USB cable, called syncing and backup a broken model, and went on to emphasize the Fires Whispersync cloud storage capabilities."

Does he know that Apple is days away from removing sync themselves? Did he set himself up to have his thunder stolen? WTH is he thinking?
OSX, because making UNIX user friendly is easier than debugging windows.
Reply
OSX, because making UNIX user friendly is easier than debugging windows.
Reply
post #243 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjw View Post

This could well stop me getting an ipad. I want a tablet for viewing content and lying on the sofa web browsing. For less than half the price I can get something that pretty much meets my needs from amazon.

I'm guessing the operative words here are "pretty much meets my needs".
post #244 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I think the proper phrase is "doesn't directly compete ..."

The Amazon tablet is aimed at a different end user, but this same end user has up until now been buying iPads at lest some of the time. So if you are buying an iPad and just using it for reading and playing the occasional game then you might the tempted to use this device instead. It doesn't do as much, but it's cheaper.

It doesn't "directly compete" because what it does is just a subset of what the iPad can potentially do. At the same time, recent studies have shown that a lot of iPad buyers do regard them as "toys" and do primarily use them just for reading and playing the occasional game.

I don't think it's right to say that the two devices compete or don't compete. The situation is more complicated than that.

In terms of iPad sales, I would say that some sales will indeed be stolen by "dumb" or "locked" tablets like Amazon's as tablet's gain popularity in general. But the iPad is still stealing sales away from netbooks and laptops on the other end and operating in markets that the Amazon tablet will never be in. The markets for each overlap, but don't directly compete.

It is not unlike netbooks and tablets. While they don't directly compete, a lot of people were using netbooks simply because they didn't have other option... until iPad came out. Now... how many people are using iPad simply because they don't have other option (considering that Android tablets are in the same price range)?
post #245 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Or, for the price of a refurb 16 GB WiFi iPad 1 you get:

$299 iPad 1
-Free 5 GB iCloud storage
-Free unlimited iCloud storage for purchased iTunes (and you don't have to spend hours/days uploading your music)
-Free unlimited iCloud storage for purchased Apps

What is iCloud?

Why would you relegate yourself to a single core AND pay $100 more when you can have a dual core processor, all the music, apps, movies + others all on a free cloud basis system. All for $199?

Plus its small enough so you can take it with you where ever. Inside a hand bag, even. Also, you can check out books from the local public library with the Kindle Fire.

Good try.

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply
post #246 of 303
I'm surprised none of you mention its a direct copy of the iPad.

Rounded corners, flat even borders all around, with a touch screen interface.

What gives?

Is this a double standard?

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply
post #247 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

I'm surprised none of you mention its a direct copy of the iPad.

Rounded corners, flat even borders all around, with a touch screen interface.

What gives?

Is this a double standard?

Maybe we feel that we should give companies that deserve a fighting chance a fighting chance?

Though, again, I guess it IS Android-based.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #248 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

I'm surprised none of you mention its a direct copy of the iPad.

Rounded corners, flat even borders all around, with a touch screen interface.

What gives?

Is this a double standard?

You honestly can't see how this is an independent design compared to this crap from Samsung?
http://i.imgur.com/TmUj2.jpg I feel bad that you can't see the difference between the Samsung and Amazon or how your post is proof that the so-called Apple fanboy isn't claiming any tablet competitor to the iPad is rip off of Apple. I have feeling that if someone points at something you quizzically look at their finger.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #249 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Maybe we feel that we should give companies that deserve a fighting chance a fighting chance?

Though, again, I guess it IS Android-based.

I suspect even the most faithful of fans is growing tired of the daily beat of patent infringement claims, design lawsuits and general saber-rattling.

Honestly it's tiresome. Nobody is going to "win" and everyone's reputation ends up damaged in some way.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #250 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Why would you relegate yourself to a single core AND pay $100 more when you can have a dual core processor, all the music, apps, movies + others all on a free cloud basis system. All for $199?

Plus its small enough so you can take it with you where ever. Inside a hand bag, even. Also, you can check out books from the local public library with the Kindle Fire.

Good try.

Why? Lets see, because you want apps, because you have Apple tunes already, because you want a larger screen, because you dislike the android interface, because you know that "dual core" doesn't automatically mean faster....

You get the picture yet?

And you do know the movies and apps aren't free, right?

Also, you can even check out books from the local public library with an iPad....

Seriously, personally, I think it is going to be a great device. I think Amazon just made the tablet market a two company game. Good for them. I may even buy one.

But you just successfully made the worst argument yet for getting one. Quit while you are behind...
OSX, because making UNIX user friendly is easier than debugging windows.
Reply
OSX, because making UNIX user friendly is easier than debugging windows.
Reply
post #251 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I suspect even the most faithful of fans is growing tired of the daily beat of patent infringement claims, design lawsuits and general saber-rattling.

Honestly it's tiresome. Nobody is going to "win" and everyone's reputation ends up damaged in some way.

Actually, most of us are just tired of the daily patented Apple bashing trolls. STFU.
OSX, because making UNIX user friendly is easier than debugging windows.
Reply
OSX, because making UNIX user friendly is easier than debugging windows.
Reply
post #252 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by shen View Post

Actually, most of us are just tired of the daily patented Apple bashing trolls. STFU.

You might take a few minutes and read thru this thread. Pay particular attention to the definition of egregious trolls.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=133031
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #253 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You honestly can't see how this is an independent design compared to this crap from Samsung?

http://i.imgur.com/TmUj2.jpg I feel bad that you can't see the difference between the Samsung and Amazon or how your post is proof that the so-called Apple fanboy isn't claiming any tablet competitor to the iPad is rip off of Apple. I have feeling that if someone points at something you quizzically look at their finger.

Independent my ass. The same arguments can be made for the Kindle Fire as it was made for the Galaxy Tab.

The descriptions speaks for themselves.

Apple used those very words to describe how similar the Galaxy Tab was to the iPad.

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply
post #254 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by shen View Post

Why? Lets see, because you want apps, because you have Apple tunes already, because you want a larger screen, because you dislike the android interface, because you know that "dual core" doesn't automatically mean faster....

You get the picture yet?

And you do know the movies and apps aren't free, right?

Also, you can even check out books from the local public library with an iPad....

Seriously, personally, I think it is going to be a great device. I think Amazon just made the tablet market a two company game. Good for them. I may even buy one.

But you just successfully made the worst argument yet for getting one. Quit while you are behind...

Worst argument? I call them facts.

Not all everyone has iTunes.

The interface for Amazon is a completely overhauled version and has no relation to Android what so ever when it comes to UI.
It is completely Amazon's own. I would even go far as to say that the UI on the Kindle Fire is more simple than the iPad.

Who said the movies were free?

Quote:
all the music, apps, movies + others all on a free cloud basis system.

Exact words that I typed. No where do I reference the movies or songs were free but rather the system that runs all those contents were free.

Guess English isnt your first language.

Also, let me state by saying that YOUR argument was the worst yet for NOT getting one.

On reflection, no amount of convincing arguments would turn a fanboy of a rival company into convert, so whats the point?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Maybe we feel that we should give companies that deserve a fighting chance a fighting chance?

Though, again, I guess it IS Android-based.

What a great way of discriminating companies so easily.

So tell me, what critieria does a company must meet to fall under the "deserve a fighting chance" banner?

You wanna know my answer? Those who wont directly compete with Apple is what, as those that do have been under litigation.

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply
post #255 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Independent my ass. The same arguments can be made for the Kindle Fire as it was made for the Galaxy Tab.

The descriptions speaks for themselves.

Apple used those very words to describe how similar the Galaxy Tab was to the iPad.

So now it's not about consumers having an independent observation vis a vis opinion about products but you adhering to an generic patent definition that no one on this forum ever cared about or agreed with? Sounds like you're the unobjective fanboy here.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #256 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

The interface for Amazon is a completely overhauled version and has no relation to Android what so ever when it comes to UI.
It is completely Amazon's own. I would even go far as to say that the UI on the Kindle Fire is more simple than the iPad.

Talk about double standards. I haven't seen you make one derogatory comment about the Kindle Fire being proprietary and closed.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #257 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Talk about double standards. I haven't seen you make one derogatory comment about the Kindle Fire being proprietary and closed.

I will get to that after the design argument is panned out.

So I take it you are in agreement with me since you are moving onto another topic?

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply
post #258 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

I will get to that after the design argument is panned out.

So I take it you are in agreement with me since you are moving onto another topic?

1) I am agreement with reasonable people that Samsung has blatantly stolen Apple's HW and UI designs whilst Amazon has created something that can't be confused with an Apple product at first glance.

2) You can't hold more than one text-based conversations at a time?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #259 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

I'm surprised none of you mention its a direct copy of the iPad.

Rounded corners, flat even borders all around, with a touch screen interface.

What gives?

Is this a double standard?

So why don't you fill us in on how the entire SIX points the German judge used when reaching a decision on the Galaxy Tab 10.1 relate to the Kindle Fire?

You know, to show you aren't just another run of the mill, tiresome, "OMG Apple patented the rectangle!!!" troll.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #260 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Or, for the price of a refurb 16 GB WiFi iPad 1 you get:

$299 iPad 1
-Free 5 GB iCloud storage
-Free unlimited iCloud storage for purchased iTunes (and you don't have to spend hours/days uploading your music)
-Free unlimited iCloud storage for purchased Apps

What is iCloud?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Why would you relegate yourself to a single core AND pay $100 more when you can have a dual core processor, all the music, apps, movies + others all on a free cloud basis system. All for $199?

Plus its small enough so you can take it with you where ever. Inside a hand bag, even. Also, you can check out books from the local public library with the Kindle Fire.

Good try.

Here's your answer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

Some points to keep in mind:

1) This thing has no mic or camera. So it won't support apps like Skype.
2) The Amazon Appstore (6 countries?) and all their various media services are still not available everywhere.
3) Kindle Games are US only I believe.
4) Amazon Prime is US only
5) It won't have the most popular apps on Android: all the Google apps (Maps, GMail, Gtalk, Google Earth)..

And an iPad is small enough to take anywhere, even if it's not as small as the Fire.

Dick, I think the iPad 2 as a lower-cost model next year, ala the iPhone line-up, would be the way to go if Apple were going down that route. But a refurb iPad 1 @ $299 is currently a good alternative to the Fire, particularly if want to be able to do a bit more (especially on the app side) and you're already in the iTunes "echo system"
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
post #261 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robodude View Post

I don't make straw men, but feel free to take out a line of the argument and attacking it.

it wasn't an argument; it was a statement that had absolutely nothing to do with my initial comment.
post #262 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I suspect even the most faithful of fans is growing tired of the daily beat of patent infringement claims, design lawsuits and general saber-rattling.

Honestly it's tiresome. Nobody is going to "win" and everyone's reputation ends up damaged in some way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shen View Post

Actually, most of us are just tired of the daily patented Apple bashing trolls. STFU.

This.
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
post #263 of 303
Amazon seems to be putting great stock in its Cloud services. So the decision to NOT have 3G on the Fire strikes me as somewhat curious. Or at least one that will limit the Fire's potential success to markets where free WiFi is pervasive.

Also interesting is the marketing photo showing the Fire being used in Portarit mode by a quite young child. The cynic in me said that they were not playing up the simplicity of use ("even a child can use it") , but down playing the 7" screen size.

Personally, at this moment in time, I find the Apple ecosystem much more compelling. iOS, Airplay, iTunes all works for me. But like I said, that's just me.
post #264 of 303

the article alludes to a larger form factor of the Kindle Fire; no more, no less.
post #265 of 303
There is one thing that I'm liking about this Amazon mini tablet. It'll make Fandroids look pretty stupid (as if they already don't look like retards), because they've been whining for ages about Apple being closed for so long now and along comes an Android tablet which is heavily skinned by Amazon and features a walled garden and it's probably going to sell more than all of the other Android tablets combined!
post #266 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by emacs72 View Post

it wasn't an argument; it was a statement that had absolutely nothing to do with my initial comment.

Well, the line wasn't exactly the whole argument as I alluded to earlier. I meant it to be analogous, the point was that less functional device does compete with more functional hardware. Depends on what 'market' you're trying to define.

To get back to your original point, you could you not expect the Kindle Fire to be compared to the iPad? How does the iPad market/target audience differ from that of the Kindle Fire?
post #267 of 303
I've said it before, and I will say it again; the best yardstick for potential success of a product on here is the panic it induces in the general posting populace. It would appear Amazon have a huge hit on their hands.

The "doesn't do as much" as the iPad argument holds no water, when 95% of users don't use half of the features the iPad uses. It does nearly everything the iPad does, just as well as the iPad, that's the point. Think early iphone. It didn't do what the Nokias of the day did, but it did enough of it really well that no-one cared. And why in God's name would I buy a recon iPad 1 when I can buy a dual core more modern tablet for less money?

A parent buying tablets for their children this Xmas, so they can read/watch films/surf the web - 97% of what people use the iPad or ANY tablet for - will the be thinking 4 X $499 or 4 X $199???
post #268 of 303
I'd say most apple "fans" here would think that the Fire will do well. I don't see any panic on these boards, however.
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
post #269 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaramanga89 View Post

And why in God's name would I buy a recon iPad 1 when I can buy a dual core more modern tablet for less money?

You ask that question because you're clearly ignorant as to the very big differences between an iPad and the Amazon mini tablet. The Amazon tablet will probably sell ok compared to other previous Android tablet failures and flops which came before it, but it is not in the same league or even comparable to an iPad.

(1) It's fucking tiny, less than half the screen area of an iPad.
(2) No microphone, no Skype, no calls, no communication, no voice commands etc.
(3) Shorter battery life.
(4) No real multitouch, only dual touch. This one is pretty important in my view.
(5) Half the internal storage of even the lowest spec iPad.
(6) iOS > Amazon's skinned Android
(7) It's strictly a media consumption device. The iPad is that and more as it's also a productivity device being used and adopted by all sorts of businesses and enterprise and quite a few productivity apps do exist for the iPad in all different kinds of fields and areas.
(8) 3:4 aspect ratio > 16:9 aspect ratio for tablets. 16:9 is better for movies, it's worse for everything else, including reading books, surfing, games etc.

If you want to buy an Amazon Kindle Fire, then go right ahead, nobody's stopping you. There is a certain market for such a tablet, but even an iPad 1 > Kindle Fire, don't kid yourself.
post #270 of 303
If anyone wants to watch he pressconference, it's here > KindleFire Debut - 51m

Personally, I think it's a tad disingenuous for Amazon to write all that ad copy of
"do this ...."/"stream that ...."/"download the other thing ...." but have ZERO mention of
1] WiFi or 3G connectivity [In all the images I've seen, there's only the WiFi logo in the upper right corner] or 2] Battery life ....

Add to that no mic or camera plus people who'll buy into this immediately because they're so inexpensive and you've got a disaster in the making when, according to reports, in just a matter of months, KindleFire 2 comes out with a mic and a 2-way camera and 3G and a longlasting battery.

That said, I still think Amazon's got a monster hit on it's hands, as people look at this as something that,
for the price of just 1 iPad, they can get for themselves and give one to the kids for ganes, coloringbooks & Dora The Explorer.
"Technology Alone Is Not Enough -- Married With The Liberal Arts & The Humanities,
It Yields Us The Results That Make Our Hearts Sing." - Steven P. Jobs
Reply
"Technology Alone Is Not Enough -- Married With The Liberal Arts & The Humanities,
It Yields Us The Results That Make Our Hearts Sing." - Steven P. Jobs
Reply
post #271 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaramanga89 View Post

I've said it before, and I will say it again; the best yardstick for potential success of a product on here is the panic it induces in the general posting populace. It would appear Amazon have a huge hit on their hands.



The only 'panic' here is in the posts of Amazoids and possibly fandroids who are desperate for something (anything) that can put Apple in its place! Fine - no one cares! Post your android market share statistics, price point arguments, form factor arguments and 'echo-system' arguments. We've read them all and the pervading theme is simply a tirade against the iPad. Gone are the arguments about the iPad not being a computer and about Apple's walled garden.

Consider this - where has Apple met real competition in its relentless climb? Well, not in the music player and tablet markets. It has met stiff competition in the mobile phone and computer markets. The competitors in this latter segment are established and highly efficient hardware manufacturers. Apple too is an established and highly efficient hardware manufacturer that also controls every aspect of its operating system. Amazon is not and does not. They are going to release a 7" tablet because they simply cannot compete against Apple's offering. The Fire has less than half the display area of the iPad (at a slightly higher resolution) and yet:

- is over two-thirds the weight of an iPad (413g vs 609g).
- is nearly 80% of the length of an iPad (190mm vs 241.2mm).
- is 130% of the thickness of an iPad (11.4mm vs 8.8mm but who cares right?)
- offers 8 hours of reading with WiFi off, against 10 hours on the web with the iPad.

I believe too that the 7" screen will prove frustratingly small but in the end, who cares? The regulars on AI don't! We could not care less!
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
post #272 of 303
Here's an interesting take (emphasis mine):
Quote:
Kindle Fire may force Android tablet makers to cut prices


* Kindle Fire set to disrupt other Android tablet sales-analysts
* Non-iPad tablet makers under pressure to cut prices
* Samsung may lose No.2 tablet position in 2012-analysts

By Miyoung Kim
SEOUL, Sept 29 (Reuters) - Asian technology companies came
under pressure on Thursday to slash prices of their tablet
computers after Amazon.com <AMZN.O> launched its Kindle Fire at
a mass market-friendly $199.
From Samsung Electronics <005930.KS> to Sony Corp <6758.T>,
major Asian tablet makers have ambitious plans to take on Apple
<AAPL.O>, whose iPad is the gold standard in the booming market.
With their me-too type of products priced almost at the same
level as the iPad's starting price of $499, none of them have
however been able to gain any significant market share from
Apple.
So far, Samsung has been seen as the most credible
challenger to the iPad and some analysts suggest it could lose
its No. 2 position to the eagerly anticipated Fire.
The South Korean company's tablet marketing campaign has
also stumbled in recent months due to Apple's legal attempts to
ban Samsung's tablet sales in Australia, the United States and
Germany, over patent infringement, among other claims.
The Kindle Fire, while lacking many of the high-tech bells
and whistles common on tablets from cameras to 3G wireless
connection, may sound the death knell for a raft of devices
based on Google Inc's <GOOG.O> Android operating system.
"The pricing is critical to gain traction in the tablet
market... Rival manufacturers have failed to attract consumers
as they have matched the iPad's price point without matching its
content offering," said Adam Leach, an analyst at research firm
Ovum.
"Amazon's retail-based business model allows the company to
subsidize the device on the premise that consumers will buy more
from Amazon, be that physical goods or its digital content."
Samsung's Galaxy Tab, Sony's S tablet, Motorola's <MMI.N>
Zoom and many others from Acer Inc <2353.TW> and Asustek
Computer Inc <2357.TW> all run on Android, which Amazon's Fire
also uses and combines with its online store.
*
*
*
By pricing the Fire at less than half the iPad -- yet
stripping out costlier components and features -- the Internet
retailer hopes to get the device into millions of consumers'
hands and then into Amazon books, movies, music and other
content.

TOUGH FOR SAMSUNG
Samsung's new tablet Galaxy 10.1 is priced roughly the same
as the iPad. Even at that price, a slim profit margin of around
5 percent makes it difficult for Samsung to cut prices sharply,
analysts say.

Worldwide tablet shipments will more than triple to 60
million units this year and surge to 275.3 million units by
2015, research firm IHS iSuppli forecasts.
Apple dominates the North American tablet market, with 80
percent of the 7.5 million units shipped during the second
quarter of 2011, Strategy Analytics says.
Analysts had expected Amazon's tablet to be priced around
$250, roughly half the price of Apple's iPad, which starts at
$499.
Sony vowed in January to become the world's No. 2 tablet
maker -- behind Apple -- by 2012 and Sony executives have since
stuck to that ambitious claim.
"We expect the Amazon tablet to... put pressure on the other
non-iPad competitors as they are unlikely to be able to compete
on price and value," UBS analysts said in a note.
"At the $199, we believe Amazon's tablet has the potential
to be disruptive to the market and, in particular, the non-iPad
market...Other tablet vendors will find it difficult to match
Amazon's price point."
HP's firesale of its TouchPad tablet at $99 just six weeks
after its launch created strong demand for its soon-to-be-killed
product, a sign of just how critical prices are in the sector.

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #273 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Plus its small enough so you can take it with you where ever. Inside a hand bag, even. Also, you can check out books from the local public library with the Kindle Fire.

I don't take my nook color every where any more than I take the iPad.

Until your library buys kindle e-books you can't. Many or most will via overdrive but Amazon's refusal to support epub sucks.
post #274 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettieblue View Post

The effing ignorance of some people is amazing. This product will impact iPad sales with out a doubt.

95% of iPad users are very simplistic users, browse the web, email and 10-20 apps. The iPad is at least $499.

With this Kindle Fire you can do the same thing basically. If the app is already written for andriod it will run on this. Yes it has fewer apps, no camera, smaller screen etc. For some people that will be a show stopper, however WAY MORE people will jump at this device because it SAVES you at least $300!!!

95% of iPad users buy the iPad because it is an iPad.

There are already cheaper tablets that do basically the same thing, if people wanted those, they would buy them. The only people that will buy these Amazon tablets are those people looking to upgrade from their Kindle readers or those looking to switch away from their B&N Nooks.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
post #275 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Why would you relegate yourself to a single core AND pay $100 more when you can have a dual core processor, all the music, apps, movies + others all on a free cloud basis system. All for $199?

Plus its small enough so you can take it with you where ever. Inside a hand bag, even. Also, you can check out books from the local public library with the Kindle Fire.

Good try.

Because the iPad is a more capable device, which is why people are buying them up in many, many, many more numbers than all other tablets combined.

Good try.

And if you're already carrying a hand bag, then it wouldn't take much more to carry a slightly bigger bag to carry an iPad in. Either way, you're still carrying something.

Good try.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

I'm surprised none of you mention its a direct copy of the iPad.

Rounded corners, flat even borders all around, with a touch screen interface.

What gives?

Is this a double standard?

Hardly a direct copy. Perhaps you should actually read Apple's trade dress application before looking stupid on these message boards. And while you're at it, you should look up what "double standard" actually means.

Good try.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
post #276 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Apple


(1) It's fucking tiny, less than half the screen area of an iPad.

For movie content it's not much smaller and it's a 1024x600 IPS display. That's not bad. Web surfing is slightly degraded but its a usable aspect ratio for a tablet that also does portrait (vs a 1024x600 netbook that couldn't).

Quote:
(2) No microphone, no Skype, no calls, no communication, no voice commands etc.

Seems a like a reasonable trade. I can get a Kindle Fire and a iPod Touch for the price of an iPad. If I don't do much content creation beyond email this is a reasonable trade for skype.

Quote:
(3) Shorter battery life.

7-8 hours is reasonable. About the same as the iPod Touch.

Quote:
(4) No real multitouch, only dual touch. This one is pretty important in my view.

This is the only killer and only for some games.

Quote:
(5) Half the internal storage of even the lowest spec iPad.

Same as the $28 more expensive iPod Touch.

Quote:
(6) iOS > Amazon's skinned Android

Depends on the skinning. It seems extensive.

Quote:
(7) It's strictly a media consumption device. The iPad is that and more as it's also a productivity device being used and adopted by all sorts of businesses and enterprise and quite a few productivity apps do exist for the iPad in all different kinds of fields and areas.

Sure, so what? A large segment of the consumer market (Amazon's demographic) are just media consumers. Amazon could make 0 enterprise sales and be quite happy.

Quote:
(8) 3:4 aspect ratio > 16:9 aspect ratio for tablets. 16:9 is better for movies, it's worse for everything else, including reading books, surfing, games etc.

It's actually a 10:6 aspect ratio.

Quote:
If you want to buy an Amazon Kindle Fire, then go right ahead, nobody's stopping you. There is a certain market for such a tablet, but even an iPad 1 > Kindle Fire, don't kid yourself.

I would hope that an iPad 1 > Kindle Fire given it's more expensive. Even the refurb closeout was $100 more.
post #277 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Here's an interesting take (emphasis mine):
Quote:
Kindle Fire may force Android tablet makers to cut prices
* Kindle Fire set to disrupt other Android tablet sales-analysts
* Non-iPad tablet makers under pressure to cut prices
* Samsung may lose No.2 tablet position in 2012-analysts
By Miyoung Kim
SEOUL, Sept 29 (Reuters) - Asian technology companies came
under pressure on Thursday to slash prices of their tablet
computers after Amazon.com <AMZN.O> launched its Kindle Fire at
a mass market-friendly $199.
From Samsung Electronics <005930.KS> to Sony Corp <6758.T>,
major Asian tablet makers have ambitious plans to take on Apple
<AAPL.O>, whose iPad is the gold standard in the booming market.
With their me-too type of products priced almost at the same
level as the iPad's starting price of $499, none of them have
however been able to gain any significant market share from
Apple.
So far, Samsung has been seen as the most credible
challenger to the iPad and some analysts suggest it could lose
its No. 2 position to the eagerly anticipated Fire.

The way they think the Fire is going to damage the market for Android tablets, this Kim Miyoung is obviously an apple fanboi, or fangrrl.
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
post #278 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by sennen View Post

And an iPad is small enough to take anywhere, even if it's not as small as the Fire.

The same could be said about a 17 inch desktop replacement notebook. Or a suitcase.
post #279 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

There is one thing that I'm liking about this Amazon mini tablet. It'll make Fandroids look pretty stupid



Very very strange POV.
post #280 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryMG View Post

Add to that no mic or camera plus people who'll buy into this immediately because they're so inexpensive and you've got a disaster in the making

People said exactly the same thing about the iPad 1. No camera! $500 is so inexpensive!

But no disaster, at least, none that I heard about. Leaving out basic features is a typical Apple method of selling two similar products to the same customer. I'm surprised that you would think it to be a disaster in the making.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Amazon Kindle Fire aims to undercut Apple's iPad with $199 price
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Amazon Kindle Fire aims to undercut Apple's iPad with $199 price