or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Amazon's new $79 Kindle, $99 Kindle Touch stick with e-ink display
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Amazon's new $79 Kindle, $99 Kindle Touch stick with e-ink display

post #1 of 38
Thread Starter 
Achieving an attractive sub-$100 price point, Amazon's new $79 Kindle and $99 Kindle Touch still sport e-ink displays for reading books and other content, while ditching the physical keyboard found on previous models.

The $79 Kindle with "special offers" is available today, and features a simpler design than previous models, which featured a full hardware keyboard for text input. The new model maintains a directional pad and buttons for page turning. An ad-free version of the Kindle costs $109.

Amazon also unveiled a $99 Wi-Fi Kindle Touch, also featuring a black-and-white e-ink display that is touch-sensitive. The Kindle Touch lineup also includes a model with 3G connectivity for downloading books on the go, available for $149. The ad-free Kindle Touch is $139, while the 3G model without "special offers" goes for $189.

Both Kindle Touch models are available for pre-order today, and are scheduled to ship on Nov. 21.

Kindle
30 percent lighter, less than 6 ounces
18 percent smaller body, same 6-inch screen size - Fits in your pocket
Most advanced E Ink display, reads like paper
Built in Wi-Fi - Get books in 60 seconds
Massive book selection, over 800,000 titles are $9.99 or less
New - Borrow Kindle books from your public library


Kindle Touch
Most-advanced E Ink display, now with multi-touch
New sleek design - 8 percent lighter, 11 percent smaller, holds 3,000 books
Text-to-speech, plus audio books and mp3s
Built in Wi-Fi - Get books in 60 seconds
Massive book selection, over 800,000 titles are $9.99 or less
New - Borrow Kindle books from your public library


X-Ray
Amazon also announced a new feature called "X-Ray," which allows users to see all of the passages in a book that mention ideas, fictional characters, historical figures, places or topics that interest them with a single tap. Users can also access detailed descriptions from Wikipedia and Shelfari, Amazon's own community-powered encyclopedia. X-ray is said to be powered by language processing and machine learning technology built by Amazon.



AppleInsider revealed on Monday that Amazon was set to announce three new Kindle models this week, with two of them being e-ink-based. Also revealed Wednesday was the third model: the Amazon Kindle Fire, a color 7-inch touchscreen tablet that will sell for $199.

Amazon is expected to build 12 million new e-ink Kindles this year -- 8 million of the low-end $79 model, with another 4 million Kindle Touches. The high-end touch model, code-named "Whitney," features a Freescale i.MX515 processor and 256MB of RAM with its 6-inch display. The touchsreen model is arriving later because of a "more complicated design and assembly," analyst Ming-Chi Kuo revealed.

The new $79 model is said to feature the same processor as the touch model, but has an integrated controller that will provide "better system design and lower cost" when compared to previous Kindle hardware, Kuo said.

The Kindle lineup may expand even further in 2012, as Amazon is said to be exploring color touchscreen tablets with sizes of 10.1 inches and 8.9 inches for potential launch next year.
post #2 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple is expected to build 12 million new e-ink Kindles this year -- 8 million of the low-end $79 model, with another 4 million Kindle Touches.

Oops! I don't think Apple is building ANY Kindles.
post #3 of 38
post removed
post #4 of 38
I am not seeing this on the Amazon store yet. Interested in the touch, I think a great addition to my iPad for reading in the sun.
post #5 of 38
I still say Apple should use the name iBook and build a dedicated e-ink book reader product. Nobody does hardware and software like Apple and LCD screens are just not for reading full books. I should know, I own both an iPad 2 and a Kindle 3. I still prefer paper books BY FAR, but if apple took e-books seriously I might think about going e-ink. Amazon's Kindle software and Kindle hardware on the Kindle 3 was in my opinion: TERRIBLE. The page buttons are so awfully designed it's criminal. The software was painful and the keyboard was the most ridiculous thing I have even used. Not to mention - a 6" book reading display is just too small. Even the smallest paperbacks are 8" on the diagonal.

I slapped this together 5 months ago:

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #6 of 38
I looked at Amazon's website and noticed that the prices listed in the article for e-ink readers are "With special offers".

Kindle: $79 with special offers, $109 without
Kindle Touch: $99 with special offers, $139 without
Kindle Touch 3g: $149 with special offers, $189 without

For $30, I would do without advertisements on the screensaver and home screen.
post #7 of 38
No mention of on board memory. How d I get to the cloud from my airline seat.

On the other hand,Kindle books some Kindle books offered for free download through "overdrive" through my local library. 3 week free check out. Limited supply, but I found a couple of programming books for my son last night. These can be downloaded through Overdrive App and then read with Kindle App on iPad.

If text books were made available on the cheap Kindle, the price point could effectively kill the hard copy editions. My son's math book must weigh 5 pounds. His school can't afford iPads nor can a lot of the families with 1/3 of students on "free lunch" program.
post #8 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by msuberly View Post

I looked at Amazon's website and noticed that the prices listed in the article for e-ink readers are "With special offers".

Kindle: $79 with special offers, $109 without
Kindle Touch: $99 with special offers, $139 without
Kindle Touch 3g: $149 with special offers, $189 without

For $30, I would do without advertisements on the screensaver and home screen.

That's exactly what I was thinking.
post #9 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by pridon View Post

No mention of on board memory. How d I get to the cloud from my airline seat.

On the other hand,Kindle books some Kindle books offered for free download through "overdrive" through my local library. 3 week free check out. Limited supply, but I found a couple of programming books for my son last night. These can be downloaded through Overdrive App and then read with Kindle App on iPad.

If text books were made available on the cheap Kindle, the price point could effectively kill the hard copy editions. My son's math book must weigh 5 pounds. His school can't afford iPads nor can a lot of the families with 1/3 of students on "free lunch" program.

The price of textbooks on the Nook aren't much cheaper than the hard copies. Personally, textbooks would be the last thing I'd want on an e-reader.

It's not easy to skim through a book on the readers - and I'd rather have a highlighter to mark on the book than the "highlight" they have on the readers.
post #10 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by pridon View Post

No mention of on board memory. How d I get to the cloud from my airline seat.

On the other hand,Kindle books some Kindle books offered for free download through "overdrive" through my local library. 3 week free check out. Limited supply, but I found a couple of programming books for my son last night. These can be downloaded through Overdrive App and then read with Kindle App on iPad.

If text books were made available on the cheap Kindle, the price point could effectively kill the hard copy editions. My son's math book must weigh 5 pounds. His school can't afford iPads nor can a lot of the families with 1/3 of students on "free lunch" program.

It says 8 GB.
post #11 of 38
I think these products will fly off the shelves.

I think that Amazon is seriously upping the ante.
post #12 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by msuberly View Post

I looked at Amazon's website and noticed that the prices listed in the article for e-ink readers are "With special offers".

Kindle: $79 with special offers, $109 without
Kindle Touch: $99 with special offers, $139 without
Kindle Touch 3g: $149 with special offers, $189 without

For $30, I would do without advertisements on the screensaver and home screen.

I seriously doubt they are profiting on the hardware at all. They get you to use their device and buy ebooks through them. The hardware cost probably breaks even after factoring in returns/warranty servicing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobycat View Post

The price of textbooks on the Nook aren't much cheaper than the hard copies. Personally, textbooks would be the last thing I'd want on an e-reader.

It's not easy to skim through a book on the readers - and I'd rather have a highlighter to mark on the book than the "highlight" they have on the readers.

These things should improve especially if they remain afraid of Apple and the ipad in this market (as they should be). Really you want things you would have when viewing reading materials in printed form. On an e-reader it should also be easy to skip between sections or look something up quickly in the index without losing your place. Also yeah the screens are pretty small relative to something like a textbook.
post #13 of 38
X-Ray sounds like an amazing feature. But how would I take notes without the physical keyboard? No note-taking = no buy.
post #14 of 38
Why are eReaders mentioned on AI at all?
Because the iPad has an iBooks app?
Why not smart TVs then as well or any thing with a monitor? And B&N Nooks etc?
post #15 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I think these products will fly off the shelves.

I think that Amazon is seriously upping the ante.

Does this mean Jeff Bezos will make his annual pilgrimage to Charlie Rose tonight?
post #16 of 38
I think the real story here isn't the Kindle Fire... Another 7" Android tablet in a sea of better Android tablets and the 80,000 lbs gorilla in the room, the iPad. No, the real announcement is a $79 Kindle. Sure, it's got no touchscreen, but then Amazon sold (well, lots) of Kindles without touchscreen. I guess ditching the keyboard saves quite a bit. Very competitive!

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #17 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobycat View Post

That's exactly what I was thinking.

WRONG! I'd choose the Special Offers. They actually give you pretty cool deals at Amazon including the wonderful 20% off laptops deal from a few months back that allowed me to get a 2011 13" MacBook Air for under $987 shipped.

Besides, the ads only display when the device is idle... big whoop.
post #18 of 38
Glad Amazon didn't abandon e-ink as something was mentioned in an article a few weeks ago. I love my Kindle for reading, easy to read.

Not that I would buy a Fire since I have an iPad, but seriously no 3G option especially on a device which is built around the cloud.
post #19 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobycat View Post

The price of textbooks on the Nook aren't much cheaper than the hard copies. Personally, textbooks would be the last thing I'd want on an e-reader.

It's not easy to skim through a book on the readers - and I'd rather have a highlighter to mark on the book than the "highlight" they have on the readers.

I can easily see that textbooks would be great to have here. For starters, my daughter carries a backpack around school that's about 1/3 her weight. That's not healthy or convenient. In addition, with an eBook, you can search for the information you need rather than having to rely on a table of contents or manually skimming through the book. Finally, I could picture an 'upgrade' policy where you could upgrade an e-Textbook for less than the cost of buying a new one. That doesn't work for printed books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

WRONG! I'd choose the Special Offers. They actually give you pretty cool deals at Amazon including the wonderful 20% off laptops deal from a few months back that allowed me to get a 2011 13" MacBook Air for under $987 shipped.

Besides, the ads only display when the device is idle... big whoop.

He's not WRONG. He's entitled to his opinion. I would also take the special offers - as long as they don't interfere when I'm reading. If they ever start popups while reading a book, I'd pay extra to avoid them, but now they're not in the way.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #20 of 38
Never had a Kindle,...wife wants one....$79 Kindle should be good.
Now to send back the refurb 6" i ordered from Amazon last week, For $85
http://www.flickr.com/photos/allanmichael/
iPhone 4S, iPad 3 WiFi, 80gb ipod,5G nano, 3G shuffle, 4 shuffles, '11 MBA 13", macmini 2.26, iMac QC i5 27"
Reply
http://www.flickr.com/photos/allanmichael/
iPhone 4S, iPad 3 WiFi, 80gb ipod,5G nano, 3G shuffle, 4 shuffles, '11 MBA 13", macmini 2.26, iMac QC i5 27"
Reply
post #21 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I can easily see that textbooks would be great to have here. For starters, my daughter carries a backpack around school that's about 1/3 her weight. That's not healthy or convenient. In addition, with an eBook, you can search for the information you need rather than having to rely on a table of contents or manually skimming through the book. Finally, I could picture an 'upgrade' policy where you could upgrade an e-Textbook for less than the cost of buying a new one. That doesn't work for printed books.



He's not WRONG. He's entitled to his opinion. I would also take the special offers - as long as they don't interfere when I'm reading. If they ever start popups while reading a book, I'd pay extra to avoid them, but now they're not in the way.

The point is, the ads are not in place when you are actively using the device, plus if you shop Amazon a lot, the discounts received pay for the device in no time.

It's a win-win situation.
post #22 of 38
Just seen the UK prices - WTF!

$79 in the US > £89 in the UK
$99 in the US > £109 in the UK

What a f****** rip off. At todays exchange rates it should be £50 and £63.

post #23 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

What a f****** rip off. At todays exchange rates it should be £50 and £63.


Because American companies don't have to pay licensing, fees, shipping, and international taxes. Nope, 1:1 absolutely must be the only choice.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #24 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkettpolitur View Post

X-Ray sounds like an amazing feature. But how would I take notes without the physical keyboard? No note-taking = no buy.

Agreed. I'll probably keep my 2nd Gen Kindle for now.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #25 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Because American companies don't have to pay licensing, fees, shipping, and international taxes. Nope, 1:1 absolutely must be the only choice.

The iPad starts at $499 in the US and £399 in the UK.

I've never heard of someone charging more in pounds than dollars. I know a lot of companies use 1:1 even though the exchange rate is 0.64.

I know the Amazon UK price includes taxes, etc - does the US price include all the taxes or do you have to add anything on? If not it's nearly twice the price in the UK. I wonder if the US models work over here?
post #26 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by iKol View Post

Does this mean Jeff Bezos will make his annual pilgrimage to Charlie Rose tonight?

I hope so. I love those interviews.
post #27 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

The iPad starts at $499 in the US and £399 in the UK.

I've never heard of someone charging more in pounds than dollars. I know a lot of companies use 1:1 even though the exchange rate is 0.64.

I know the Amazon UK price includes taxes, etc - does the US price include all the taxes or do you have to add anything on? If not it's nearly twice the price in the UK. I wonder if the US models work over here?

They likely have to pay VAT on the full price, not just the discounted "special offers" price.
post #28 of 38
For any foreigners whining about prices. You should know that tax is not included in the US prices.
post #29 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

For any foreigners whining about prices. You should know that tax is not included in the US prices.

Thanks. Jonny foreigner duly chastised. I'll just go sulk in the corner if you don't mind.
post #30 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

Thanks. Jonny foreigner duly chastised. I'll just go sulk in the corner if you don't mind.

Even with taxes, US customers still wind up paying nearly $100 USD less than UK customers for the base-model iPad.
post #31 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

Just seen the UK prices - WTF!

$79 in the US > £89 in the UK
$99 in the US > £109 in the UK

What a f****** rip off. At todays exchange rates it should be £50 and £63.


The $79 version of Kindle is not on sale in the UK. The UK version is equivalent to the new $109 version of Kindle "without special offers" (as Amazon doesn't serve the special offers in the UK).

The UK price is £89. Subtract the 20% VAT that is included in that price and you get £71.20. Converted to dollars it's $111.06, or $2.06 more than the US price.
post #32 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

The $79 version of Kindle is not on sale in the UK. The UK version is equivalent to the new $109 version of Kindle "without special offers" (as Amazon doesn't serve the special offers in the UK).

The UK price is £89. Subtract the 20% VAT that is included in that price and you get £71.20. Converted to dollars it's $111.06, or $2.06 more than the US price.

$2.06 more!!!! Those slimey SOBs

Thanks for the clarification.
post #33 of 38
Amazon, in the world of tech is a hack. All this Kindle stuff is nothing but a rebrand of some sh** they are getting from Korea or China. Maybe both.
And one should ask themselves, is the Kindle crowd tech progressive? I think not.
Amazon is in for an uphill battle trying to convince older folks they should buy a new Kindle like every 5 months or whatever.
post #34 of 38
I haven't seen a Kindle in person. If the newest e-ink displays are improved then I'll consider getting one. I have seen the Sony reader and the Nook e-ink reader. I won't use an e-reader to purchase any e-books that cost more than the ones that are available in paperback plus shipping charges. I'll use it for library books.

Until e-books cost less than their paperback equivalents with shipping charges the concept won't take hold with all of the population. It's already huge with the tech crowd but it could grow so much more with better pricing.

Amazon can keep it's whole library on just one huge hard drive. If they would switch to all e-books then their entire business could be located in just one building instead of several shipping centers around the world. How soon do you think they'll actually make that transition? Will Barnes & Noble beat them to it? I think it will happen one day.
post #35 of 38
don't you just love tech ads which show the product in someone's back pocket.

crunch...
you only have freedom in choice when you know you have no choice
Reply
you only have freedom in choice when you know you have no choice
Reply
post #36 of 38
I notice today on the Amazon UK website that the new Kindle Touch has disappeared from view. We can only buy the basic new Kindle plus the old ones with the keyboard. So it looks like only the US get the Touch and Fire for now.
post #37 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by cy_starkman View Post

don't you just love tech ads which show the product in someone's back pocket.

crunch...

i was sitting at the genius bar the other day next to a woman who sat on her iPhone4 and cracked the screen cause it was in her back pocket!
post #38 of 38
is the world's most advanced e-ink screen marketing speak for the same rubbish e-ink perl screen as last years kindle? Cause last years e-ink screen was still rubbish, and this comes from a guy who really thought e-ink would take off and was something worth having. Sadly, nowhere near as good as paper.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Amazon's new $79 Kindle, $99 Kindle Touch stick with e-ink display
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Amazon's new $79 Kindle, $99 Kindle Touch stick with e-ink display