or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Talk of two new iPhone models continues to cool off ahead of Apple event

Talk of two new iPhone models continues to cool off ahead of Apple event

post #1 of 71
Murmurs from Apple's overseas supply chain, combined with potential hints in the invitation to next week's iPhone event, have dampened speculation that Apple will introduce two new iPhone models next week.

Checks with Apple's overseas supply chain have indicated that Apple will only introduce one new iPhone model next week, analyst Shaw Wu with Sterne Agee said in a note to investors on Wednesday.

In addition to those rumors, Wu said he found it "intriguing" that Apple's invitation to next week's iPhone event features the recognizable green iOS phone icon with a number 1 displayed on it. He sees that as a potential signal that Apple intends to introduce only one true fifth-generation iPhone next Tuesday.

Similarly, John Gruber of Daring Fireball offered his own commentary on Tuesday after the invitations went out: "Something tells me there's only one new iPhone," the well-sourced author wrote.

Also joining Wu is analyst Gene Munster with Piper Jaffray, who said on Tuesday that he does not expect Apple to introduce a low-end iPhone this year. He sees one proper "iPhone 5" model, being sold at the traditional $199 and $299 price points seen by previous Apple handsets.

For weeks prior to the invitations being issued, there was rampant speculation that Apple will introduce two iPhone models this year: a low-end, contract-free handset dubbed the "iPhone 4S," and a full-fledged, redesigned "iPhone 5." Various reports claimed that the iPhone 4S would look nearly the same as the current iPhone 4, and would be geared toward midrange smartphone buyers in predominantly prepaid markets like China.

Like Munster, Wu sees Apple announcing a single new flagship iPhone model at next week's event. He believes the current iPhone 4 could see "minor changes," along with a likely price cut to $99 with a new service contract.

Instead of introducing a new handset to address the entry-level market, Wu said he believes it is more likely that Apple could offer the iPhone 3GS, first released in 2009, for as little as free to customers on contract.
post #2 of 71
Only one phone=4s=failure.
post #3 of 71
Keeping the 3GS makes sense. However what doesn't is a 16 month delay to put in new processor in a phone with no other changes.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #4 of 71
Likely it'll be an actual iPhone flagship replacement and a repositioning of the iPhone4 as the entry level offering.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #5 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Keeping the 3GS makes sense. However what doesn't is a 16 month delay to put in new processor in a phone with no other changes.

See what is actually released. Apple has thrown up a great smoke screen this year, no one really knows what to expect anymore
post #6 of 71
I hope it's a brand new model (larger screen). Otherwise this "Let's talk iPhone" will be a very short conversation.
post #7 of 71
But Al Gore said "iPhones" so it must be more than one!
post #8 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by realitycheck69 View Post

Apple MUST be doomed.

Come off it.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

post #9 of 71
Do all the rumor mongers experience severe depression once Apple actually announces its plans? It seems some people will lose their reason for living!
post #10 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwana_Dik View Post

Do all the rumor mongers experience severe depression once Apple actually announces its plans? It seems some people will lose their reason for living!

No, they just make reading the forums a living Hell as they whine and complain about features Apple was never going to give them in the first place.

post #11 of 71
Wow. As maddening as it is, good job to Apple for keeping their plans in the dark this time around. First the new iPhone was going to be a small tweak, then a major revision, then one of each, then just one.

Next Tuesday will definitely be one of the more interesting presentations from Apple. 1) Mystery iPhone 2) Hidden iOS 5 features ("Assistant"?) 3) First presentation without Steve Jobs 4) Possible iPod refresh?
post #12 of 71
Quote:

Won't make Verizon and Sprint too happy. I agree that it makes sense if iOS 5 and the new cloud stuff works fine. I'd guess that much of the delay was timing it with the new OS - pretty new-feature-rich.
post #13 of 71
Quote:

This is what makes me hope that they have in fact made a big change, (like perhaps it's an LTE phone already) and they will surprise us.

Even so however, the argument could be made that the delay was more about moving the "expected" iPhone release date to the fall, so that they would have a blockbuster fall product (considering the poor performance of the iPod lately and the expected demise of same). It may be no more than that and we will see the iPhone released in the fall each year from now on.
post #14 of 71
Quote:

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

post #15 of 71
Quote:

absolutely agree! apple needs to introduce new products. while every new product doesnt have to be revolutionary, they should be ok that evolutionary isnt a bad thing. an improved iphone w/ features consumers want will only help. they dont have do break the mold with every event. also, while the iphone4 is a great device that has sold like crazy, i know a good amount of people who say they preferred their droids. all for the same reason: using the iphone as a phone is not great. not just on att but vz as well. and others say they cant get used to the on screen keypad.
apple should realize ios is losing ground to android because there are phones in every price range that use the android os. having greater variety of apple products using ios will only help keep apple at the top of the pile. not to mention that they must be getting a lot of people to buy more apple product because of the iphone. i have multiple friends who have switched to mac because they were so pleased with their iphone and figured a mac would be worth the extra over a pc.
post #16 of 71
As Apple usually disappoints, it's always best to err on the side of caution. I am placing my bets on an iPhone 4S being the only new iPhone. The redesign won't come until the entire Western world is ready for 4G.
post #17 of 71
Quote:

Absolutely.
post #18 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by ham_bone View Post

absolutely agree! apple needs to introduce new products.

Yeah!
post #19 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by ham_bone View Post

absolutely agree! apple needs to introduce new products.

And the next model of iPhone is a new product. Or maybe that's not good enough for you. Maybe you DESERVE to have two models of iPhone. Maybe Apple OWES IT TO YOU to make something 100% new every single time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

Absolutely.

You people are making me very, VERY incredulous.

Look, forget it. You're all trolls anyway.

post #20 of 71
Quote:

Dunno about failure, Apple moves massive numbers of products. I bet that the new iPhone will sell big, no matter what. Like real big. Massive.

That being said, the year-and-a-half wait for a refreshed iPhone 4 will be a big disappointment for many people.
post #21 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by msuberly View Post

Apple usually sells more than one phone each year.

-------
WTF is wrong with this thread anyway? It's almost exclusively trolls and weirdos.
I have no idea what a picture of Al Gore throwing up Al Gore even means.

Let me try to fit in:

"Apple is stoopid! I love them so much. What a dumb strategy they have. They are going to win!!! but for now they are DOOMED!"

post #22 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

"Apple is stoopid! I love them so much. What a dumb strategy they have. They are going to win!!! but for now they are DOOMED!"

Good stuff!
post #23 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I have no idea what a picture of Al Gore throwing up Al Gore even means.

It's based off the original, which is the troll face throwing up troll faces.

I tried to find that and suggest it as an alternative (because you can't post a picture of a political figure without someone being offended), but I couldn't, which I found strange.

post #24 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And the next model of iPhone is a new product. Or maybe that's not good enough for you. Maybe you DESERVE to have two models of iPhone. Maybe Apple OWES IT TO YOU to make something 100% new every single time.

You people are making me very, VERY incredulous.

Look, forget it. You're all trolls anyway.

Yes we are all Android loving trolls who are concerned about Apples new releases.

You are the worst kind of commentator here. Apple is never wrong. If Apple released the iPhone 4 with a 10% bump in processor speed you would be ecstatic.

We can be fans of Apple and criticse them. If all their design team has done in a year and a half is add a new camera and a new processor - which takes no design skills , in fact - then criticism is warranted. I was at a lunch today where nobody had an iPhone though sone used to. People move between models. An iPhone 4 copy with a new processor will change none of these peoples buying decisions.
post #25 of 71
Quote:

A lot of people have complained that a 16-month delay would be ridiculous for just a speed bump (if that's what really happens), but I think it's a strategic change by Apple to have the new iPhones come out just before the holiday shopping season like iPods have for years. The iPhone is overtaking iPods, IMO. I think the iPhone refresh will be during this timeframe from now on, but I doubt we'll ever know the true reason for the delay.
post #26 of 71
Quote:

If Apple released the iPhone 4 with a 10% bump in processor speed you would be ecstatic.

It would be better than this buildup of nonsensical speculation that inevitably leads to Apple "falling short" when they had never planned half of that at all.

post #27 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Good stuff!

If you've never tried a little pussy, you're missing out.
post #28 of 71
If the iPhone 4S/5 turns out to be an iPhone 4 chassis with an A5 chip, then Apple should have released it much earlier. iOS 5 does not seem like an upgrade worthy of holding up the new iPhone for unless the iPhone itself turns out to be a game changer that everybody is going to rip-off in 6 months from now.
post #29 of 71
Quote:

snip

If Apple released the iPhone 4 with a 10% bump in processor speed you would be ecstatic.

Not me. I'd be waiting for 2012 and the LTE version. My current 4 smokes with iOS 5; I don't game and prefer my Canon 5D for digital photography.

Edit: That said, they've yet to disappoint me with their revs.
post #30 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

If the iPhone 4S/5 turns out to be an iPhone 4 chassis with an A5 chip, then Apple should have released it much earlier. iOS 5 does not seem like an upgrade worthy of holding up the new iPhone for unless the iPhone itself turns out to be a game changer that everybody is going to rip-off in 6 months from now.

IMO it will be the teardrop design, with A5. Kind of makes sense to follow MBA form factor (once ol Jonny I gets on a terror ya know) .

Will it have LTE, NFC, HSPA+, NFL, NBA, NCAA, AFL-CIO, CIA, FBI, ELO(the band) etc... who knows.

But what will they do to try to fit in LTE chip if it isnt in this one... hmmmm.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
post #31 of 71
anyone else notice how much that invitation looks like the iPod nano interface?
post #32 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, they just make reading the forums a living Hell as they whine and complain about features Apple was never going to give them in the first place.

Don't forget about them starting the rumors of the next release, before the announced product is actually out
post #33 of 71
Courtesy of Mr X, 9to5Mac has news on a new iPod Touch and Apple inventory numbers for the new iPhone(s).

http://9to5mac.com/2011/09/28/new-ip...entory-system/
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #34 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by msuberly View Post

Yeah, but he also invented the Internet!
post #35 of 71
There is more than one likely reason for the event invitation to have the red numeral "1" on the page.

It may just as easily imply that scenario that "Apple placed a phone call... which you missed" and so here's your written invitation to back up the missed call.
post #36 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

I hope it's a brand new model (larger screen). Otherwise this "Let's talk iPhone" will be a very short conversation.

Yep. I will just keep using my Samsung Focus running Mango and buy an iPad for my iOS needs. I NEED a 4 inch screen (old eyes). Nothing bigger, just 4 inches.

I guess we will see (excuse the pun).
post #37 of 71
All the speculation has gotten a little out of hand. My guess is there will be one phone with a new design. My guess for the delay is they wanted to wait for iOS5 to be mature to release both in the same week. My guess is the 4 will be discounted for the entry level market. These seem to be reasonable assumptions that a majority share. People need to stop putting words in Apple's mouth. You'd think we had learned that from previous releases. We will know when we know..not a second before.
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
post #38 of 71
Just because there is talk of one iPhone being introduced, doesn't mean it's the iPhone 4s.
Apple is testing the iPhone 5 in iPhone 4 like shells.
The iPhone 5 has a 4 inch screen, 8 mp camera, a5 chip and has a slightly tapered design.

There may or may not be a cheaper version of the iPhone 4 with less memory, but the iPhone 5 is certainly real.
post #39 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mholtz2323 View Post

Just because there is talk of one iPhone being introduced, doesn't mean it's the iPhone 4s.
Apple is testing the iPhone 5 in iPhone 4 like shells.
The iPhone 5 has a 4 inch screen, 8 mp camera, a5 chip and has a slightly tapered design.

There may or may not be a cheaper version of the iPhone 4 with less memory, but the iPhone 5 is certainly real.

Your first post and you're that certain? Any proof?
post #40 of 71
Apple would be stupid to announce the 4S after the splash Amazon made today.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Talk of two new iPhone models continues to cool off ahead of Apple event
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Talk of two new iPhone models continues to cool off ahead of Apple event