or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung, Google believed to launch flagship Nexus Prime at Android event on Oct. 11
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung, Google believed to launch flagship Nexus Prime at Android event on Oct. 11

post #1 of 72
Thread Starter 
Samsung and Google are partnering up for an event on Oct. 11 that will showcase "what's new from Android" and will likely launch the Nexus Prime, the first phone running Android 4.0 "Ice Cream Sandwich," just one week after Apple unveils its next-generation iPhone.

Samsung on Wednesday sent out invitations to its "Mobile Unpacked 2011: Google Episode" event, which will be held in San Diego, Calif., as noted by TechCrunch.

Given that the invitation depicts the Android logo peeking out from a box, waiting to be unpacked, the event is widely believed to launch the highly-anticipated Nexus Prime smartphone. The Prime is expected to be the first device to run Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich.

Rumors have suggested the phone will sport a dual-core processor, 4.-5inch or 4.65-inch screen and Verizon Long-Term Evolution 4G.

The Nexus line of Android phones generally represents Google's flagship device for the platform. The search giant originally partnered with HTC to release the Nexus One last year, then teamed up with Samsung late last year to release the Nexus S. That device served as the "lead device" for the Android 2.3 Gingerbread update and featured a unique curved glass screen and integrated near-field communication technology.



For its part, Apple has accused Samsung of infringing on its patents with the Nexus S and Nexus S 4G, as well as numerous other devices.

The timing of the event appears set to counter interest in Apple's next-generation iPhone, set to debut at an Oct. 4 media event on the company's campus. In August, reports emerged that Google was rushing to finish Ice Cream Sandwich in time to compete with the next iPhone. The Mountain View, Calif., software company is said to have moved up a release date from the end of the year to October.

Ice Cream Sandwich will be Google's effort to merge its tablet-specific 3.0 Honeycomb release with the smartphone-focused Gingerbread. The company previewed the release in May, highlighting the fact that it will be "one OS everywhere." The update will include a new "state of the art" user interface, as well as new widgets and applications.

Android Ice Cream Sandwich. Google I/O 2011 photos via Gizmodo.

However, Google could face an uphill climb in bringing partners on board to build tablets using Ice Cream Sandwich. According to one recent report, notebook makers are pessimistic that Android 4.0 will help them compete with Apple in the tablet market.

"[S]ources pointed out that non-Apple players may need to wait until the Android version after Ice Cream Sandwich or Windows 8 hit the market to fight back against Apple," DigiTimes said.

Meanwhile, the smartphone market will see fierce competition this fall, as Apple, Google and Microsoft are now lined up for major releases in October. The companies are each jockeying to finalize major mobile operating system updates ahead of the coveted holiday shopping season. Microsoft said last week that its Mango update to Windows Phone 7 will arrive in two weeks, roughly coinciding with the timing of Apple's and Google's releases.
post #2 of 72
If its the 4.65inch screen, then the resolution would be 1280 x 720.

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply
post #3 of 72
Who cares, I want a Kindle Fire Phone. Come on Amazon jump in the game!
post #4 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

If its the 4.65inch screen, then the resolution would be 1280 x 720.

This will be the killer feature that the iphone will lack.

That's 50% more pixels than the iphone resolution....wow.
post #5 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by realitycheck69 View Post

This will be the killer feature that the iphone will lack.

The nexus prime will have 50% MORE pixels....wow.

people are going go get the iPhone
post #6 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by realitycheck69 View Post

This will be the killer feature that the iphone will lack.

The nexus prime will have 50% MORE pixels....wow.

The killer feature is..... being too big to be a phone?

I will get two! And tape them together! And make the Optimus Nexus Prime mini tablet! MUAHAHAHAhahahah........
OSX, because making UNIX user friendly is easier than debugging windows.
Reply
OSX, because making UNIX user friendly is easier than debugging windows.
Reply
post #7 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by realitycheck69 View Post

This will be the killer feature that the iphone will lack.

Unpocketability is a killer feature, all right. It'll kill that phone right off.
post #8 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Unpocketability is a killer feature, all right. It'll kill that phone right off.

Pish posh, you just need the pockets all the Kindle people have in their pants that make a 7" tablet pocketable.

Am I the only one who assume people who post that a 7" screen is pocketable must weigh over 350 and buy clothes in the "OMG did you eat the entire McDonalds?!" section?
OSX, because making UNIX user friendly is easier than debugging windows.
Reply
OSX, because making UNIX user friendly is easier than debugging windows.
Reply
post #9 of 72
[insult removed]
post #10 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

[insult removed]

Hey, a personal attack! Haven't had one of those in a while. Surprised, really.
post #11 of 72
So Google did waste its money on Motorola.
post #12 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

If its the 4.65inch screen, then the resolution would be 1280 x 720.

Quote:
Originally Posted by realitycheck69 View Post

This will be the killer feature that the iphone will lack.

That's 50% more pixels than the iphone resolution....wow.

What are you basing this on? It's speculation without an basis. Just because the screen is larger does not mean the resolution will be. In fact, it almost certainly means the PPI will be reduced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Unpocketability is a killer feature, all right. It'll kill that phone right off.

It should, but it won't. I know plenty of fandroids who already a carry phones the size of roofing tiles in their pockets and mock my iPhone. I remember when everyone said the 2007 iPhone was massive lol.

On another note, how utterly AWFUL is that publicity image! It loos like a kid on work experience knocked it up on PowerPoint during his lunch break. These are the people designing Android. Gives you some idea why Android lacks any sense of aesthetic. Typography? Pah, Times New Roman will do just fine!
post #13 of 72
hope apple creates a redesign. Not that i'd ever jump ship as a diehard apple fan...but im sure it would cause other people to...over the course of a years worth of declining market share of course.

I'm sure Cook is sitting in his mansion with a grand scheme to create the best phone in history. Steve Jobs is of course there making smalltalk.
post #14 of 72
4.5 is too big if you have:

A) Small hands
B) Wear skinny jeans


720p is going to be the new standard in high-end phone resolution, just like LTE. Apple is severely slipping here.
post #15 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonamac View Post

What are you basing this on? It's speculation without an basis. Just because the screen is larger does not mean the resolution will be. In fact, it almost certainly means the PPI will be reduced.


Do you visit any tech sites beyond apple ones? Try HTC Vigor for one:



720p screens are a reality.
post #16 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by realitycheck69 View Post

This will be the killer feature that the iphone will lack.

That's 50% more pixels than the iphone resolution....wow.

That's hardly a killer feature, at least in terms of what the mass market wants.
post #17 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2director View Post

That's hardly a killer feature, at least in terms of what the mass market wants.

Really? What was that deal with the iphone 4 screen....retina or something? Is that right?
post #18 of 72
Stop feeding the troll.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
post #19 of 72
[insult removed]
post #20 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by realitycheck69 View Post

Do you visit any tech sites beyond apple ones? Try HTC Vigor for one:



720p screens are a reality.

How come there is no Matte Finish?

I couldn't help it. It's the dumbest argument that still goes around and I couldn't resist after seeing what a slob you are with your phone.
post #21 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

How come there is no Matte Finish?

I couldn't help it. It's the dumbest argument that still goes around and I couldn't resist after seeing what a slob you are with your phone.

LOL my phone? You trollin?

HTC vigor isn't quite out yet.
post #22 of 72
The potential for new cellular hardware ready to drop in October sounds great. Lots of neat stuff.

Unfortunately, lest there be some bizarre change of course, we (the customers) have must look forward to the love offered by Verizon, At&t, and Sprint. I leave-off T-Mo, as they actually do love us all, but have likely unhappy future.

As long as there are eager consumers, whatever the plan fees, the big-3 plan fees will be major.

Of course, there's no way that folks could actually come together and boycott the new i-device ("over 41% of current cellphone customers say they'll buy the i-p...5"), or back-off getting the latest Sam-ung' & H_C's.

A new-toy boycott for a few months would move a little of the power back towards the users.

Such agony?
post #23 of 72
That's a nice looking tablet.
post #24 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by realitycheck69 View Post

This will be the killer feature that the iphone will lack.

That's 50% more pixels than the iphone resolution....wow.

For all we know, Apple will announce an iPhone on the 4th that meets or beats said feature.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #25 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by realitycheck69 View Post

LOL my phone? You trollin?

HTC vigor isn't quite out yet.

Then the slob goes to the slob with the prototype. Take to heart the joke and not the sarcastic condemnation of being a slob.
post #26 of 72

Setting all HW specs aside, the real question is Ice Cream Sandwich, will it be stable?

Then there's the UI, will Samsung ripoff the iOS UI again?

Or maybe we'll see some genuine innovation, perhaps?
post #27 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Beige View Post


Setting all HW specs aside, the real question is Ice Cream Sandwich, will it be stable?

Then there's the UI, will Samsung ripoff the iOS UI again?

Or maybe we'll see some genuine innovation, perhaps?

Its a nexus phone all of the software is done by google. Samsung will have a very minimal part in the software creation process. Yes ICS will be stable android has been stable for the last two years on nexus phones. Genuine innovation similar to pull down notification?
post #28 of 72
Oh man... this Samsung phone will be hot!! People will be lined up around the block to buy it. It'll be sold out for weeks...

Oh wait... wrong phone... my bad...

</keep forgetting that tech heads,nerds,phandroids, whiners don't represent majority consumers>
post #29 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by realitycheck69 View Post

Do you visit any tech sites beyond apple ones? Try HTC Vigor for one:



720p screens are a reality.

I read plenty thanks, enough to take screenshots with a pinch of salt. I suspect the screenshot is real but it doesn't change the fact that it is speculation to suggest the new Nexus phone will be 720p.

Either way, I really don't care. I'm fed up of hearing Android fanatics quote silly spec points at me. The fact is Android phones are a mess and the reason I buy iPhones is deeper than a headline hardware spec here and there.

I see Android fans getting sucked into the same old tech trap of waiting desperately for the next new thing. 3D, Dual-core, qHD, 720p. They get bogged down in the hardware. As a unit, with balance between battery life and performance, combined with its operating system and App Store, there just isn't a comparison between Android devices and iPhones. Developers make more on iOS so the apps are better too. The hilarious thing is that so many Android fans buy Android phones because they hate Apple, instead walking straight into the arms of the oh so moral Google. The number one reason people buy Android phones at the iPhone price point is because they're not made by Apple. That's just a stupid reason and they're the only ones that suffer. For years I didn't buy an iPod because I hated Apple based on irrational notions that had been drilled into my by PC users. I was the one that missed out.

If a 720p screen will give you comfort when you're experiencing the fragmented mess that is Android, then lap it up. I just wonder at what point we'll see an Android phone with wheels so you can drag the slab around with you.
post #30 of 72
Lte is going to be the deciding factor for me. I don't want to wait two more years for it as I have great LTE coverage in my area. I can get my iOS fix from my iPad and unlike other iPhone owners, I have no problem with Android.
post #31 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonamac View Post

I read plenty thanks, enough to take screenshots with a pinch of salt. I suspect the screenshot is real but it doesn't change the fact that it is speculation to suggest the new Nexus phone will be 720p.

Either way, I really don't care. I'm fed up of hearing Android fanatics quote silly spec points at me. The fact is Android phones are a mess and the reason I buy iPhones is deeper than a headline hardware spec here and there.

I see Android fans getting sucked into the same old tech trap of waiting desperately for the next new thing. 3D, Dual-core, qHD, 720p. They get bogged down in the hardware. As a unit, with balance between battery life and performance, combined with its operating system and App Store, there just isn't a comparison between Android devices and iPhones. Developers make more on iOS so the apps are better too. The hilarious thing is that so many Android fans buy Android phones because they hate Apple, instead walking straight into the arms of the oh so moral Google. The number one reason people buy Android phones at the iPhone price point is because they're not made by Apple. That's just a stupid reason and they're the only ones that suffer. For years I didn't buy an iPod because I hated Apple based on irrational notions that had been drilled into my by PC users. I was the one that missed out.

If a 720p screen will give you comfort when you're experiencing the fragmented mess that is Android, then lap it up. I just wonder at what point we'll see an Android phone with wheels so you can drag the slab around with you.

You done?

Consider the fact that a lot of the top Android devs use Apple computers kind of shoots your point in the face (Paul O'Brien a notable dev)

Why is it so hard to accept that some people happen to like Android more than iOS? I do. Many people do. It happens. Nothing is for everyone.

Also android being a "fragmented mess" is hardly of concern to users, moreso to devs and power users.

Stop spitting all those easily falsifiable talking points.

I get it. You love Apple. Your first child will be named Apple. You have Apple tattooed o your ass and the logo on your neck. Good for you. But people don't all think like you. Not everyone wants what you want. I bet there are people who think you dress poorly and that your girlfriend is ugly. So what. Be happy you like what you like.

Also there's a good reason to assume the Nexus 3/Prime will be 720p.
post #32 of 72
"Galaxy Nexus is said to be packing a 4.65-inch 1280x720 Super AMOLED Plus display, 1.5GHz dual-core Exynos processor, 16GB storage, 1GB RAM, 2,000mAh battery, and Ice Cream Sandwich. The body of the phone is reportedly made of metal and measures 8.8mm thick."

"...details on the Galaxy S III. Reportedly set for a debut at MWC 2012 and a worldwide launch in mid-2012, the GSIII is said to feature a 4.65-inch Super AMOLED III display with a resolution of 1280x1024 and 352ppi. Other features slated to make it into the Galaxy S III include a 2.0GHz quad-core processor, 32GB storage, 1.5GB RAM, 10-megapixel camera, 1080p video capture at 60fps, 2,250mAh battery, and ICS beneath TouchWiz 5. This new version of Samsung's skin is supposedly co-developed by Google"

http://www.phonedog.com/2011/09/16/s...etails-emerge/


"...Samsung Galaxy Note. This handset, which features the model number GT-i9220, is packing a 5.3-inch 1280x800 Super AMOLED HD display. The Note's also featuring a 1.4GHz dual-core processor, 8-megapixel camera, 2-megapixel front-facing shooter, stylus, 4G LTE and 2,500mAh battery, available by the end of this year"

http://www.samsung.com/global/micros...ote/index.html

Mac IIcx, Mac Quadra 800, Mac Performa 5200, Power Mac 8600, LaserWriter, iPhone 3G, iPad 3G, iPhone 4S | MacBook Pro, 27" iMac, iPad 3 LTE

Reply

Mac IIcx, Mac Quadra 800, Mac Performa 5200, Power Mac 8600, LaserWriter, iPhone 3G, iPad 3G, iPhone 4S | MacBook Pro, 27" iMac, iPad 3 LTE

Reply
post #33 of 72
this seems unlikely given that they just purchased motorola.
post #34 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by hewsthat View Post

this seems unlikely given that they just purchased motorola.

you do know it is official that Samsung is making the next Nexus right?

buying Motorola and immediately (if ever) giving preferential treatment to Motorola would decimate Android ultimately.
post #35 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMan365 View Post

You cant afford an iPhone can you? Is that why you are so angry at him and others?
There is no need to insult the guy and his girlfriend.. sheez.

I didn't insult him or his girlfriend. I was stating that despite how much he likes his style or his girlfriend someone out there thinks his style sucks or his girl is ugly. People have different tastes. He seemed really upset that people can even dare choose something he doesn't like.

And the iPhone cost just as much as my phone now (and was less than my old phone)
post #36 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Meanwhile, the smartphone market will see fierce competition this fall, as Apple, Google and Microsoft are now lined up for major releases in October. The companies are each jockeying to finalize major mobile operating system updates ahead of the coveted holiday shopping season. Microsoft said last week that its Mango update to Windows Phone 7 will arrive in two weeks, roughly coinciding with the timing of Apple's and Google's releases.

This is great news for all CE aficionados, and especially those of us who enjoy following the portable device markets.

Finally the ducks are getting into line. If (and it is a big if) M$ finally starts to gain market share again, will it be at the expense of Google or Apple? Or will RIM just fade away totally (not likely).

This is stacking up to be a very interesting time for the cellphone and tablet markets. Amazon is poised, M$ is walking up to the starting line, and Google is currently sprinting away while Apple runs in place. But Apple is waiting for the ChiComs to pass them the new i5 baton (or is it?) and will have at least a bit of a sprint if true.

Good stuff!
post #37 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by shen View Post

I will get two! And tape them together! And make the Optimus Nexus Prime mini tablet! MUAHAHAHAhahahah........

You might be better off sticking with Apple products.
post #38 of 72
[insults removed]
post #39 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2director View Post

That's hardly a killer feature, at least in terms of what the mass market wants.

I'm not sure that the flagship phone is intended to be a "mass market" phone. Apple does that, but most companies make different products for different people's desires.
post #40 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

</keep forgetting that tech heads,nerds,phandroids, whiners don't represent majority consumers>

Apple fans certainly do not represent the majority of consumers either. Look at the Mac - tiny market share. Look at the iPhone - beat by sucky Android more than 2 to 1.

The iPad is the exception.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Samsung, Google believed to launch flagship Nexus Prime at Android event on Oct. 11
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung, Google believed to launch flagship Nexus Prime at Android event on Oct. 11