or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Jobs contacted Samsung in 2010 to resolve Apple patent dispute
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Steve Jobs contacted Samsung in 2010 to resolve Apple patent dispute - Page 3

post #81 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

Enlighten us then ...

The injunction was based on a drawing of a non existent product. Not the iPad.
post #82 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangcookie View Post

Trust me, you are correct in your logic, but wrong in how it actually plays out. The number 2 man in our company visited our office last month, and sat down with our Web dept lead (my boss), with a keen interest in getting tips about it "iPhone." Turns out he didn't have an iPhone. It was (shocker) an Android-powered phone. He had ZERO idea. There are a lot of (older, perhaps) people who are in fact buying these "smart" phones with zero understanding of the differentiation. They know through word-of-mouth that the iPhone is the gold standard, but somehow they are talked into another option at the point of purchase. Still, they think they have an iPhone. Totally illogical, but rampant. I know it's hard, but -- deep breath -- let your argument go.

I don't see why any company should be blamed because consumers are ignorant or dumb.

Should Hyundai be sued because an idiot thought the Genesis was a BMW?
post #83 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Nonsense. While there are plenty of geeks who are well-informed, there are also lots of other people who aren't. I had someone show me their new 'iphone' last month - which turned out to be one of the Samsung copies. Samsung's entire marketing plan seems to revolve around creating confusion in the market place and making people think that they're getting an iPhone - or at least that Samsung's phones take advantage of all the things that iPhones do like iTunes.

I don't think the main problem is that some people think they're actually buying an iPhone - it's more that they look at the Samsung phone and think it's the same as an iPhone. And even more, salespeople are telling them that the Samsung phone is just about the same as an iPhone, and they can show them the screen to "prove" it.
post #84 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangcookie View Post

Trust me, you are correct in your logic, but wrong in how it actually plays out. The number 2 man in our company visited our office last month, and sat down with our Web dept lead (my boss), with a keen interest in getting tips about it "iPhone." Turns out he didn't have an iPhone. It was (shocker) an Android-powered phone. He had ZERO idea. There are a lot of (older, perhaps) people who are in fact buying these "smart" phones with zero understanding of the differentiation. They know through word-of-mouth that the iPhone is the gold standard, but somehow they are talked into another option at the point of purchase. Still, they think they have an iPhone. Totally illogical, but rampant. I know it's hard, but -- deep breath -- let your argument go.

Don't be a dick and act in a asinine and condescending manner.

If the number 2 person in your company is too stupid to understand the difference between 2 differently branded phones (when all it takes is a 1 minute Google/Bing search) then maybe he shouldn't be involved in running your company. Does he also not understand the difference between a Honda and Toyota?
post #85 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by smaceslin View Post

While I may have misspoke when stating an 'Order' was issued, I would still not be surprised (though I don't know for a fact) that Steve's legal team asked Samsung to 'cease and desist'. Calling this statement idiotic is both rude and uncalled for in this forum. This is supposed to be a place where opinions can be made without someone being rude.

Yep, there are some hotheads hanging out here from time to time. I think your original point is unanswered: was the first exchange a carrot, a stick, or maybe just an invitation to work things out?

Edit: see the post above for more fighting roosterism. Emotions are close to the surface in this 'culture' of extremity. Maybe it's why you find yourself in southeastern Turkey, where apparently the original squarish icon was invented:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Göbekli_Tepe
post #86 of 134
I do not know if they are being tricked, but there is customer confusion. I was in Best Buy last month, and I heard two different sets of people look at the Samsung phone display and comment on the so called iPhone.

So I think it fair to assume Samsung probably gets a fair amount of customers who at least initially think the Galaxy is an iPhone. If so, Samsung in the very least is violating Apple's trademark.



Quote:
Originally Posted by lamewing;
1952695


OMG. People are NOT BEING TRICKED into buying a Samsung phone thinking it is an Apple product.

1. The phones are not the same size as in the picture.
2. The Samsung phone has "Samsung" on the front.
3. The main OS on the Samsung doesn't look like iOS. Only the app drawer has a grid of icons.
4. People DO UNDERSTAND that these are not iPhones and many people WANT this phone.

I am sorry, I like my iPhone and Win7 phone, and will not use an Android phone...BUT come on...you sound like a broken record. That Samsung phone looks no more like an iPhone than the Honda Insight looks like the Prius. Similar, but not the same. Unfortunately for Honda, they chose to copy the Prius look hoping that people would believe that is what a Hybrid should look like. Sales figures show otherwise.

You really must have a very low opinion of the people (around the world) if you believe they are so stupid as to be duped into buying a Samsung, thinking it is an Apple product.
post #87 of 134
deleted
post #88 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwlaw99 View Post

How many TVs aren't black? There is a good reason for this as perceived contrast is higher. Even insinuating Apple has a design patent on a black bezzel is absurd. Can you imagine TV companies suing each other because they are all black glossy rectangles? Look at the picture below and tell me where you see any buttons on the bezel? Do the icons and background look like an iPad? I love my iPad because of the apps, but this whole "Apple has a patent on the glossy black rectangle" is absurd.


LOL, yeah... Beause we all know how similar those homescreen calendar and weather widgets look to the plethora ( ) of homescreen widgets that are available for iOS...
post #89 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajun View Post

That's not the issue. The issue is the diluting of Apple's brand. Apple spends a lot of time, effort, and money on their designs; they are not a cookie-cutter company. They sell their products based on the designs. Everybody knows this.

So, when lazy Samsung decides to glom onto Apple's "cool factor" by stealing Apple's designs, it makes Apple's products look less special. Apple's brand is no longer distinct.

Samsung has got to be the dumbest company on the face of the earth, because they are willing to risk an almost $9 billion dollar supplier relationship with Apple just so a couple of their products can have cases that look like Apple's.

The first two paragraphs seem like the best summary of the problem here.

Don't know about the last point though. It could be better Korean industrial practice to copy and then work out the legal IP issues with the Americans and Europeans later.

Example: How great would it have been if two of the other dumbest companies on earth, GM and Ford, had copied Japanese auto manufacturing back in the 70s, rather than stubbornly going all-out with their antiquated bloatware for two decades more?
post #90 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

I do not know if they are being tricked, but there is customer confusion. I was in Best Buy last month, and I heard two different sets of people look at the Samsung phone display and comment on the so called iPhone.

So I think it fair to assume Samsung probably gets a fair amount of customers who at least initially think the Galaxy is an iPhone. If so, Samsung in the very least is violating Apple's trademark.

BS. Just because something looks similar (and people are not observant) doesn't mean that one company is violating a trademark. By the way, this isn't about trademarks, but patents. Look at the current Prius and the Insight. Easy to mix them up when taking a glance, but up close it is obvious. Same with the phones. Up close...come on....this isn't rocket science.
post #91 of 134
Doesn't matter anymore. I simply cannot waste time and energy worrying about this nonsense. My current phone is a Samsung Focus (testing out Mango). My next phone is either an iPhone 4 / 4S / 5 / whatever comes out next week.

Let them fight it out and waste time and money. It seems this is all about either stupidity, greed or ego...or all of the above.

Time to move on.
post #92 of 134
Interesting comments out of Australia


"This is going to be launched on the market with the velocity of a fire hose and [the Galaxy Tab 10.1 is] going to just come in and take away iPad 2 sales so quickly that by the time we get to final hearing the full impact of the patent infringement will be [felt] to the detriment of Apple and to the benefit of [Samsung]."


http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/57...-two-customers
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
post #93 of 134
deleted
post #94 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

I don't see why any company should be blamed because consumers are ignorant or dumb.

Should Hyundai be sued because an idiot thought the Genesis was a BMW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elroth View Post

I don't think the main problem is that some people think they're actually buying an iPhone - it's more that they look at the Samsung phone and think it's the same as an iPhone. And even more, salespeople are telling them that the Samsung phone is just about the same as an iPhone, and they can show them the screen to "prove" it.

It stops being the consumer's problem at the point where Samsung decided to make their entire market strategy revolve around trying to convince consumers that they were buying iPhones.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #95 of 134
I don't know why people keep saying Samsung copies Apple. For instance, what possible other interface could you use for a voice recorder app other than a big picture of a studio condenser mic? I mean, it's so obvious!


They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #96 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangcookie View Post

Trust me, you are correct in your logic, but wrong in how it actually plays out. The number 2 man in our company visited our office last month, and sat down with our Web dept lead (my boss), with a keen interest in getting tips about it "iPhone." Turns out he didn't have an iPhone. It was (shocker) an Android-powered phone. He had ZERO idea. There are a lot of (older, perhaps) people who are in fact buying these "smart" phones with zero understanding of the differentiation. They know through word-of-mouth that the iPhone is the gold standard, but somehow they are talked into another option at the point of purchase. Still, they think they have an iPhone. Totally illogical, but rampant. I know it's hard, but -- deep breath -- let your argument go.

In other news, hoovers, xerox, walkman, yada yada yada

Ignorant or stupid consumer base is not suitable evidence for lawsuits.
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
post #97 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mock Turtleneck View Post

The top rated comment in that thread does a pretty good job of demolishing that image. Considering the fact that it's posted in the Apple sub-forum in the first place.

Here you go:



You can love Apple's products and services, without being a blind fanboy (I'm not implying you are one btw). These patent wars are an absolute joke.

I hear you but it's not like it's just one thing. Add it all up.

After they finished mocking Apple when the iPhone first announced and realized that the iPhone was a hit, they release phones that magically began to look so close to Apple's hardware that it is difficult to tell them apart.

PLUS

The charging cable

PLUS

the charging block

PLUS

look of the packaging

PLUS...


The iPhone defined what a smartphone is and does. Apple took a big gamble. If Samsung simply just copied one or two things, fine, I'd agree with you. That's not the case here.

In the end Samsung will likely skate away relatively unscathed, so whatever. I'm tired of all of this too.
post #98 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

In other news, hoovers, xerox, walkman, yada yada yada

Ignorant or stupid consumer base is not suitable evidence for lawsuits.

Yes and no.

Dr. Joyce Brothers was a witness for the Cabbage Patch Dolls case, as an expert testifying whether the public might confuse CPD lookalikes with the real McCoy. So yes, confusing the public is another important factor.
post #99 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajun View Post

That's not the issue. The issue is the diluting of Apple's brand. Apple spends a lot of time, effort, and money on their designs; they are not a cookie-cutter company. They sell their products based on the designs. Everybody knows this.

So, when lazy Samsung decides to glom onto Apple's "cool factor" by stealing Apple's designs, it makes Apple's products look less special. Apple's brand is no longer distinct.

Samsung has got to be the dumbest company on the face of the earth, because they are willing to risk an almost $9 billion dollar supplier relationship with Apple just so a couple of their products can have cases that look like Apple's.

This is what has me flummoxed by the whole thing: Samsung is willing to piss away a huge customer deal for a hope of making it big in the tablet market.

I spent last week in S. Korea, visiting Hynix, another large electronics firm there. Hynix also supplies memory to Apple (a fact that is trumpeted on the front of one of their buildings). My Korean co-workers there, one of whom owns an iPhone and the other of whom may get an iPhone as his next phone, cannot explain Samsung's "strategy". all they can say is that there are many business departments in Samsung. Who apparently don't talk to each other and who apparently don't answer to any single head guy, as far as I can determine.

It all seems a very dubious enterprise to me. Of course, now Samsung has upped the ante all over the world, and they don't dare back down. I really have to wonder about the decision making process in that company, though. They surely cannot imagine that Apple will ever back down, either. And this is not a case of who has the most patents to cross-license; Apple is out for blood on this one. And Samsung is, from all I can determine, already bleeding a bit; Apple doesn't have a scratch yet. I wonder what Samsung management hopes the end game of this will be. And how they hope to get there?
post #100 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

If there is one thing that characterizes Apple's corporate history, it is its ability to learn from its mistakes (lost bar iPhones aside). Apple should never again leave itself open to the kind of extortion and leverage that Samsung has. Too many eggs in one basket. Fortunately, they have a CEO in place who has made his reputation on supply chain management. The right man for the job.

Right-o. Mr. Cook will certainly be able to rectify this. He was only maximizing supply in the first place, but time to spread out.

To those of you who say 'So what if apple sells 10% fewer, it's still in the billions...',
Well, screw you but that's a lot to take out of anybody's bottom line. As a shareholder I expect apple to take action on these blatant violations. Apple has had their iPad concept on the drawing boards for a decade!! They ingeniously decided to interpret it into smaller form and build the phone first. I'll be damned if some lazy company gets to just copy the general concept and make it as close as possible in overall look and feel! And it's also true that many people are just looking for a sleek black phone and may figure to add iTunes later, not understanding that the imitator is junk that won't do what they want. They may very well conclude there is no point in buying another sleek black phone like the iPhone itself. This HURTS Apple in a material way.

I agree with the poster who said Samsung is disorganized and idiotic. Have any of you tried to go to their website and try to find a current driver for anything? Try to find it, good luck. Their site is a mess.

I bought a Samsung TV based partly on the fact that they are an Apple supplier. I wish I hadn't. I'm not really pleased with it and should have returned it when I could. I know I won't be buying anything from them anymore, based on the fact that they are lazy disorganized copiers of technology.

I doubt Apple really wants the patent wars. I think they are necessary. Look at Apple's overall history, they invent things. They put already invented things together in new ways that have a refined user experience. The jealousy out there shouldn't surprise me so much but it always does. Why can't we have an American owned company to be proud of? Would you be happier without Apple? Really?
What is really factored into the price is a kind of perpetual sense of disbelief that any company could be as good as Apple is. ~Retrogusto
Reply
What is really factored into the price is a kind of perpetual sense of disbelief that any company could be as good as Apple is. ~Retrogusto
Reply
post #101 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajun View Post

That's not the issue. The issue is the diluting of Apple's brand. Apple spends a lot of time, effort, and money on their designs; they are not a cookie-cutter company. They sell their products based on the designs. Everybody knows this.

So, when lazy Samsung decides to glom onto Apple's "cool factor" by stealing Apple's designs, it makes Apple's products look less special. Apple's brand is no longer distinct.

Samsung has got to be the dumbest company on the face of the earth, because they are willing to risk an almost $9 billion dollar supplier relationship with Apple just so a couple of their products can have cases that look like Apple's.

Yeah, this deserves to be quoted again. Lots of folks are snickering about how any given instance of copying is trivial, or not really that close of a copy, or certainly not enough to confuse a customer into thinking it was an Apple product.

But Samsung is very obviously hitching a ride on Apple's all over look and feel, across a number or products, packaging and accessories. The net effect isn't so much that anyone will mistake them for Apple products, but rather the distinctness of Apple's trade dress is diluted. I don't think you can look at the various pictures that have been posted and not see that that is the case.

One thing or another, there's no litigation. Put them all together, it's a pattern and triggers a lawsuit. So maybe folks could also stop seizing on this or that and carrying on like it's a bizarre a abuse of the legal system to claim such trivialities matter. It's the whole thing.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #102 of 134
Well, bitching and whining about Samsung here isn't going to do a bit of good.
post #103 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

I find it interesting that Apple sues Samsung for copying the look and feel, but then does the following (just two simple examples):

Apple has added the notification bar to iOS 5. It looks a lot like the notification bar in Android.
Apple is touting wireless syncing in iOS 5, yet the laughed at the same feature when it was introduced in the Zune a few years ago.

Apple is not as honorable as you might think. They are a corporation out to make $$$ for their shareholders.

I have read this from you more than once. And more than once people pointed out the obvious reasons this is a bad comparison. And you keep bringing it up. I guess unlike the people you think can read and do a simple google search, you can't.

See, human nature. You sure those people are all so stupid now that you are doing it too?

The wireless syncing, to focus on one, is not copied, and they did make fun of it. They pointed out that t was too slow, and drained power. They didn't copy it, because they solved it instead. Adding the delta updates, syncing only when charging, syncing in the background so the device was usable, all these things make syncing wirelessly change from a bad idea and a joke to a workable solution. That isn't copying, not anymore than the first airplane to actually fly was a copy of all the non-working airplanes before it.

It really is that simple.
OSX, because making UNIX user friendly is easier than debugging windows.
Reply
OSX, because making UNIX user friendly is easier than debugging windows.
Reply
post #104 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Beige View Post



Consider how much disdain Samsung has for its customers when they find out there's no iTunes, no App Store, and the Samsung UI lacks the intuitiveness and elegance of iOS. Samsungs arrogance is stunning.

Do you consider consumers to be complete idiots who cant read?

Perhaps YOUR arrogance is stunning.

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply
post #105 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Business Students Life View Post

Was speaking with a fantastic radio host here in California - Bill Handel - Lawyer and MILIONS of listeners M-S.

He recently purchased a Samsung Washer and Dryer - his wife found a deal in NY_ cheap, free shipping.

Gets it - all the sheets et al are in a "ball" .. tries it himself, doesn't work. Calls the 800 Samsung number - guy comes out - says nothing to do - that's the machine design - defective. Then he calls them back - gets a VP - just references the 800 number.

No one does a darned thing. Does a radio show about how its impossible to get anyone at Samsung to deal with this defective product. Calls again - referenced 800 number again - this call was all the way to the top of Samsung

Still nothing - Does radio show #2 - talking about the defective Samsung washer and dryer. Still no reply.

... finally a VP in the US of Samsung hears the show and they refund the $ to Bill.

Korean business people are out to lunch in general. They are close-minded, cannot figure out the big picture. Why didn't they pick up the machine without Bill having to speak about it to MILLIONS of people in SouthernCal. Why??????? Bill had an experience with a credit card delay, misspelled name - called the company (US) and they called back in 1 hour and said that they would take the card to him before the morning show (he said FEDEX it - that's okay - great guy).

Steve Jobs made a personal call just like Bill Handel did - they seriously have PR and communication problems Samsung will lose close to $10 BILLION in business .. that could have been avoided if they simply came up with their own design and worked it out. But that is the Korean way it seems. They need seriously American or local individuals - not Korean - to communicate ...

I have had many similar personal incidences ... this is a very ARROGANT/STUPID/CLOSEMINDED company/culture in general. Its going to finally get to Samsung - like it did with the washer and dryer when the American VP called Bill and said he would take it back and refund him for the defective product.

You call yourself a "lawyer" yet you are one prejudiced one at that.

To sum up an entire nations business practices by the behavior of ONE of its company.

You signed up just to say that? How about sticking to your old account?

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply
post #106 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

Well, bitching and whining about Samsung here isn't going to do a bit of good.

Well, bitching about Apple here isn't going to do a bit of good either, Mr. Troll.
What is really factored into the price is a kind of perpetual sense of disbelief that any company could be as good as Apple is. ~Retrogusto
Reply
What is really factored into the price is a kind of perpetual sense of disbelief that any company could be as good as Apple is. ~Retrogusto
Reply
post #107 of 134
I'm guessing the conversation went something like this:

Jobs: "I really don't like you building phones that kinda look like ours."
Samsung: "Maybe we can work something out."
Jobs: "Shut down your Android lineup or we'll take our business elsewhere."
Samsung: "In the long run, we'd rather make more from the value added of an entire phone than being the parts bin for Foxconn."

I don't like Samsung's copying. Touchwiz is such an iOS rip. That said, given how much Apple is going around suing every Android vendor and given the whole community design fiasco, it's hard to imagine that Jobs made anything approaching a reasonable offer to Samsung. Somehow I highly doubt, Jobs said, "We'll pay you more for your parts if you stop making Android phones."
post #108 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

Don't be a dick and act in a asinine and condescending manner.

If the number 2 person in your company is too stupid to understand the difference between 2 differently branded phones (when all it takes is a 1 minute Google/Bing search) then maybe he shouldn't be involved in running your company. Does he also not understand the difference between a Honda and Toyota?

To some people "iPhone" is simply a generic term for a smartphone, regardless of who made it. My daughter's mother-in-law is the ideal example of that, asking my son if he got a new iPhone when she saw him playing Words with Friends on his cheap pre-paid Android. To her every touchscreen phone is an iPhone. Kinda like ordering a "Coke" at lunch or asking if anyone has a "Kleenex".

By the way, you could have made the post without the personal attack. It added nothing.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #109 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

Apple has added the notification bar to iOS 5. It looks a lot like the notification bar in Android.
Apple is touting wireless syncing in iOS 5, yet the laughed at the same feature when it was introduced in the Zune a few years ago.

Tapping on notifications on the top of the screen to pull down information has been a part of iOS for years e.g. when on an active call the green bar across the top of the screen, when WiFi tethering a blue bar, some Apps use a red bar across the top of the screen tapping any of these takes you to the active process.

Apple is extending existing functionality.

MobileMe and others have offered a form of wireless syncing for quite a few years now, as a matter of fact once activated an iOS device NEVER has to be plugged into a computer at all.
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
post #110 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

I'm guessing the conversation went something like this:

Jobs: "I really don't like you building phones that kinda look like ours."
Samsung: "Maybe we can work something out."
Jobs: "Shut down your Android lineup or we'll take our business elsewhere."
Samsung: "In the long run, we'd rather make more from the value added of an entire phone than being the parts bin for Foxconn."

I don't like Samsung's copying. Touchwiz is such an iOS rip. That said, given how much Apple is going around suing every Android vendor and given the whole community design fiasco, it's hard to imagine that Jobs made anything approaching a reasonable offer to Samsung. Somehow I highly doubt, Jobs said, "We'll pay you more for your parts if you stop making Android phones."

I'm guessing you don't have a clue as you embark on your hyperbolic rant.

So where are the court cases Apple has launched against ZTE, Huawei, Sharp, Panasonic, Dell, Amazon and other Android vendors?

So Judges upholding the law is a "fiasco"?

Methinks you've been taking too many of the Canadian meds, Google was recently fined $500 million for helping to illegally sell.
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
post #111 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

Interesting comments out of Australia


"This is going to be launched on the market with the velocity of a fire hose and [the Galaxy Tab 10.1 is] going to just come in and take away iPad 2 sales so quickly that by the time we get to final hearing the full impact of the patent infringement will be [felt] to the detriment of Apple and to the benefit of [Samsung]."


http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/57...-two-customers

I thought that was quite assuming when I read it yesterday, it reads like they are suing out of fear rather than any technical reasons
post #112 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Interesting indeed, and coming from Apple's own counsel no less.

Also from the article:

So it seems all the noise here about "Samsung being banned in AU" isn't really what's been happening there at all. If this article is correct, only a single product is being pursued for injunction, the injunction itself is only temporary, and it hasn't even gone into effect yet.

And according to Apple this isn't about patents or tablets. It's the ecosystem stupid
Apple's attorneys say the concern is that Samsung will take potential iTunes customers and that once in the Android ecosystem they won't switch over to iOS.

http://9to5mac.com/2011/09/29/apple-...ts-or-patents/
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #113 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by palomine View Post

I'll be damned if some lazy company gets to just copy the general concept

Then you is gonna be damned. General concepts get no legal protection.
post #114 of 134
Samsung must have some of the dumbest executives in the world! They must also lack the talent to innovate on their own, rather than steal from others. Motto: No innovation, just duplication.
post #115 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Do you consider consumers to be complete idiots who cant read?

Perhaps YOUR arrogance is stunning.

Galbi - YOU are the dick! just STFU and go find somewhere else to hang out as your comments on this site are stupid and contribute nothing to the conversation.
post #116 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

So Judges upholding the law is a "fiasco"?

From the article someone else cited:

Justice Bennett made it clear that she would only be making a decision on the Australian version of the Galaxy Tab 10.1, no other products. She is not expected to make a final decision on whether to grant a temporary injunction until at least next week. The full hearing is likely to be later in the year.

It must really suck for Apple to have to deal in a situations where "We have lots of money" is not a trump card.
post #117 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

From the article someone else cited:

Justice Bennett made it clear that she would only be making a decision on the Australian version of the Galaxy Tab 10.1, no other products. She is not expected to make a final decision on whether to grant a temporary injunction until at least next week. The full hearing is likely to be later in the year.

It must really suck for Apple to have to deal in a situations where "We have lots of money" is not a trump card.

No, what sucks for Apple are the hordes of technically challenged pseudo-geeks who fail to distinguish between 'copy' and 'reverse-engineer'. Apparently, an affinity for Android is a characteristic of note.

Cheers
post #118 of 134
FreeRange, Galbi's post could not avoided the mention of ignorance, but trolling responses don't contribute anything either. We're all better off without insults and accusations.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #119 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

That's touchwhiz (app drawer not homescreen) not Android thus Google is not to blame.

Android looks considerably different than iOS does. And the next version looks to differentiate even more for the few remaining idiots who seem to feel stock Android resembles iOS.

Note: I am not calling YOU an idiot in any way and apologize if you assumed such.

Oops... I was trying to say Samsung and Google took it one step too far. Not just Google and Android. The Google part is in relation to Android concepts in general and Java infringements, etc.

I agree with Ice Cream Sandwich for phones and tablets Google has differentiated the OS enough. Samsung though, still has several infringing products actively sold. Amazing though, here in Australia still no Galaxy Tab due to court action... Which leaves iPad and Kindle the forces to rule in 2012 here... Given RIM is on its way down and Moto gobbled up by Google and no major LTE in Australia yet.
post #120 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

And the Samsung guy said to Jobs...

"When I left you, I was but the learner; now *I* am the master!"

Is this before or after the Samsung guy got his arms and legs chopped off?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Jobs contacted Samsung in 2010 to resolve Apple patent dispute