or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple removes iPod classic click wheel games from iTunes Store
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple removes iPod classic click wheel games from iTunes Store - Page 2

post #41 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

SOME people obviously think they need that much storage.

Yeah, but not enough to generate sufficient profit. Apple doesn't make products to fit some tiny niche market, not if they can help it.

Apple now makes products that appeal to the broad masses. ISTM that they are having much success with that strategy.
post #42 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Yup, and Caltrain, MUNI, various bus systems, the ferry, my bike...

The cloud works great.

AHAHAHAHA!!!!


... for no network fee, no cloud fee to store 150GB libraries.

I'm beginning to think this topic is pure troll-bait. I'm happy with my Classics and have spare parts stocked just in case.
post #43 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

spotify, $10 a month for mobile use. free for desktop use

i'll keep my CD's for memories but i don't even have any itunes music on my ipad anymore

Interesting point. I use Spotify and it's excellent. The free version does have a limit on the amount of songs you can listen to in the month but the paid versions are good value. The only thing that worries me is what happens when the record companies put the squeeze on and the monthly fee goes up to £20 or £30. At least with my iTunes collection now I've got no monthly fees, especially as I mostly listen to older music I've already paid for.

Apple will have to offer an iTunes subscription service eventually to compete.
post #44 of 116
Even with a smartphone my Classic sees use every day, too bad they are getting rid of them. Even if there are 128GB Touch's/iPhones next gen, they won't be nearly as cheap. Oh well, at least this probably means my resale value will stay high.
post #45 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Yeah, but not enough to generate sufficient profit. Apple doesn't make products to fit some tiny niche market, not if they can help it.

That may be true. But you said that NOBODY needs that much storage. You were wrong. As usual.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #46 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

Maybe, but they still work and have much larger capacity then flash based players. Not to mention actual physical controls.

Except when you drop or bump them and then they die.
post #47 of 116
Who was buying the games for the iPod classic anyhow? They seemed to be novelties more than anything.

On a side note, I've got a 160GB classic purchased when they were first made available and it lives in my car hooked up to the audio system. For anything outside that I have either my computer, or my iPhone.
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
Reply
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
Reply
post #48 of 116
Perhaps a spike in sales do to rumors?

How much R&D is needed to maintain a product like the classic. It seems their pouring tons more into several gens of the flash versions. Walking away from profit because the % doesn't fit the current curve on other products doesn't feel like a good reason.
post #49 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

You were wrong. As usual.

a bit harsh, mate.
post #50 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

Apple needs to focus on what it's customers want.

If Henry Ford were to give customers what they wanted, he would have built a faster horse. IOW, big corporations like Apple can be trusted to give you what you need; they skate to where the puck is going to be.

And the puck is headed towards iCloud. Mechanical hard drives and local storage are like, so 20th century. Trust Apple to do what is best for most people.

It has happened again and again. The whiners with niche usage patterns lament everything Apple does. But Apple makes products for The Most of Us.

The iPod was Apple's entry into mass-market success. But not when they made it for niche computer users - they had massive success starting when they made it able to sync with Windows machines. They haven't turned back yet, and their stock has made many people rich. This isn't your daddy's Apple anymore. If you have a niche usage pattern, look for a niche company to appeal to you.

If you are like most consumers, like Grandma, then Apple is your pride and joy.
post #51 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by iKol View Post

Except when you drop or bump them and then they die.

If the HDD isn't spinning a modern HDD can handle several G's impact. A similar drop will smash the touch screen of an iPhone or iPod Touch.

I have had my iPod Photo for years and never had a problem.
post #52 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Yeah, but not enough to generate sufficient profit. Apple doesn't make products to fit some tiny niche market, not if they can help it.

Apple now makes products that appeal to the broad masses. ISTM that they are having much success with that strategy.

Apple TV
Mac Pro / Mac Mini (Server models)
OS X Lion Thumbdrive
Nike + iPod

Each of those targets markets smaller (and probably less profitable) than the iPod Classic. Of course, Apple does cut products that have sales that slow (Plastic Macbook or iPod Hi-Fi, anyone?)

It's a shame, I'll miss the iPod Classic. Glad I have mine, though. I have far too much music to store on an iPod Touch and having it locally is always nice in comparison to having it on the cloud where access can become spotty at times.
post #53 of 116
1) It seems certain now the Classic is out.

2) I'd wager that a 128GB iPod Touch is in.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #54 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

Even with a smartphone my Classic sees use every day, too bad they are getting rid of them. Even if there are 128GB Touch's/iPhones next gen, they won't be nearly as cheap. Oh well, at least this probably means my resale value will stay high.

Ditto. I love my iPhone, it does a lot of fantastic things, but it's not a very good iPod.

I use my Classic everyday. The large capacity and the physical controls are a godsend when on the go. When at work, going for a run, at the gym, cycling, in the car, etc, it's a superior experience. Most of the time, if I'm using an iPod, I'm also doing things that make a touchscreen an annoyance at best, and some times even a hazard. I'm also most likely to be somewhere where cell reception is poor or non existant. On road trips (or any time I'm away from my computer for more than a day), having all of your music with you is fantastic.

The spinning platter itself I'm not married to, but it's still a lot more durable than the iPhone that's made of glass! I've dropped my Classic on pavement more times than I can count and it just keeps on working.

Ideally, what I'd like to see Apple do is resurrect the 5th gen iPod Nano form factor, with 160GB or larger flash storage. Until flash memory prices come down enough to allow such a creature to sell for $300 or less, the current Classic needs to stay. What I definitely don't want, is a larger capacity Touch.
post #55 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Good. Nobody needs that much storage in a pocketable device.

Apple needs to focus on what makes them the most profits, and iCloud is the way forward.

You mean you don't need it?

Some people have their ipod with them when on holiday for 2/3 weeks, or when working away from home for months at a time. Like me, some have completely uncompressed audio files for live broadcast quality playback - thirty hours of uncompressed audio doens't fit on a 32gig device, and the touch screen can be problematic when accurate control of playback is needed.

There are lots of reasons that people want, use and like their iPod classics and despise the touch. For some of us, a music player that has an OS focussed on just playing music and has twice the capacity, twice the battery life, is more robust in build quality and costs less than the touch alternative is a very attractive and very useful product, especially when working in areas that there is no net connection or access to a machine to sync.

So don't make stupid statements like "nobody needs that much storage in a pocketable device". It's simply not true.

PS. iCloud is free, what profit is to be had from that?
post #56 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) It seems certain now the Classic is out.

2) I'd wager that a 128GB iPod Touch is in.

long live ifixit.com
post #57 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

spotify, $10 a month for mobile use. free for desktop use

i'll keep my CD's for memories but i don't even have any itunes music on my ipad anymore

Yippee for you. Everyone doesn't have 3G service, nor should they.
post #58 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No one who buys an iPod classic today is buying it for the tiny applications on it. They're buying them to have a backup when their current one dies because they 'need' an iPod over 128GB.

It still amazes me the posters on here who think everyone else reads Mac rumors sites. Most Apple customers have no idea that Apple is holding a special event next week. Some people are actually buying iPods today because they want an iPod.
post #59 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

Please educate everyone here WHY is is "disgusting" and "should be eliminated immediately"

It's old.
It looks ugly.
The technology it uses is practically obsolete.
It doesn't support any of Apple's pioneering touch hardware or software.

iPod Classic is embarrassing and gives Apple a bad name.

it's over johnny, it's over.
post #60 of 116
No one knows how many clickwheel app Apple is selling except for Apple and maybe the developers. My guess would be not much if any.

This is what I think will happen. Apple will discontinue the iPod classic and we will see a 128GB iPod touch. Want more storage for your songs? Apple will tell you use iTunes Match.
post #61 of 116
Remember when Xserve got the boot?

Wasn't Steve reported to answer, "Hardly anyone was buying them".

I splurged on the fatter 160GB when it first came out.

I bought I think three $5 games. Zuma's really cool, and fairly good on the click-wheel. I don't remember the other two and don't play any of them anymore.

Perhaps the sales-rate dropped below the laser-focus level that Apple demands, so it's OUT.

Click wheel games got "3.5-inch Floppy'd".
post #62 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) It seems certain now the Classic is out.

2) I'd wager that a 128GB iPod Touch is in.

I wonder that means that Oct 4 will also see a 128GB iPad announced without much fanfare (the vaunted 'new' 2011 iPad from Apple?).
post #63 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

That's a serious deadpan you have there.

Multitouch is so much more useful than the old click wheel, it's not even funny. The death of the click wheel games doesn't mean the end of high capacity iPods, it probably means the end of the click wheel as a user input paradigm for Apple going forward. I wouldn't mind seeing higher capacity iPod Touches. Flash RAM chips will only go up in density and down in per-gigabyte prices.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #64 of 116
All I know is that Phase for the Classic beats any of the rhythm games for iOS any day of the week, for one very obvious reason: You can use your own playlist, made up of your own songs, that you've already paid for, and that you just happen to like more than the shit they sell you for Tap Tap Revolution or whatever.
post #65 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

Yippee for you. Everyone doesn't have 3G service, nor should they.

I don't think anyone does on their iPod Touch - the blog appointed heir apparent to that medieval spinny tech thing that no one needs.

post #66 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by eksodos View Post

It's old. Yes
It looks ugly. Maybe
The technology it uses is practically obsolete. Surely
It doesn't support any of Apple's pioneering touch hardware or software. Indeed

iPod Classic is embarrassing and gives Apple a bad name. Embarrassing? Extremist much?

it's over johnny, it's over.

^^^^^

iPhone 4S 64GB, Black, soon to be sold in favor of a Nokia Lumia 920
Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

Reply

iPhone 4S 64GB, Black, soon to be sold in favor of a Nokia Lumia 920
Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

Reply
post #67 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

All I know is that Phase for the Classic beats any of the rhythm games for iOS any day of the week

Quite agree, Phase is superb.
I only use the iPod classic to backup iTunes and selected iPhoto content; as another backup solution.

I can see their motivation, considering that with the Mac App Store and iOS App Store the movie devices act as a constant income stream as we purchase on the go. The only income from a classic owner post purchase is via iTunes, and given other music suppliers are more competitive this isn't a guaranteed earner.

Sell people iOS devices, sit back, and wait for the cash to continue to roll in!
post #68 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Multitouch is so much more useful than the old click wheel, it's not even funny. The death of the click wheel games doesn't mean the end of high capacity iPods, it probably means the end of the click wheel as a user input paradigm for Apple going forward. I wouldn't mind seeing higher capacity iPod Touches. Flash RAM chips will only go up in density and down in per-gigabyte prices.

iPod controls are integrated into my vehicle's audio system. I don't click wheel or multi-touch on any iDevice while driving or boating. I don't want to pay for features I won't use. The pod is locked inside the console 99.9% of the time - taken out when I (OMG!) buy a CD.

Look, I'm not an iPod only user. I have a 2 Classics, an iPhone, two iPads, two MBPs using Apple MagicMouses & Apple Trackpads. Yuh wanna make a touch version of the classic using cheap storage, I'm all for it. For many applications, I don't need super fast, super shock resistance, super small, slick-ass interface touch.

Not related to your reply: I find it disingenuous to argue that spinny things getting dropped is worse than an iPod touch getting dropped. A) Heads move to safe places B) HD doesn't spin unless it has to. A impact resistant HD is far more resilient than those glass touch displays.

Edit: Don't get me started about how much more heat intolerant the current touch devices seem to be.
post #69 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by iKol View Post

Except when you drop or bump them and then they die.

Look, you can say something negative about any device ever. All I can say is that I've had multiple HD based iPods since they were first introduced and I've never had one die on me. Not one. In fact, my 1st gen iPod still works though with a diminished battery. The only reason I ever got a new one was for new features or extra space.

HD based iPods have served me extremely well. I still use one daily. And yes, I could use even more space.
post #70 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Good. Nobody needs that much storage in a pocketable device.

Apple needs to focus on what makes them the most profits, and iCloud is the way forward.

What you are saying is that YOU don't need that much storage. There are a lot of us that do, the iPod is a great backup for photographs and other information when traveling. iCloud is great in theory but we are far from living in an on-line world.
No, Steve, I think its more like we both have a rich neighbor named Xerox, and you broke in to steal the TV set, and you found out I'd been there first...
Reply
No, Steve, I think its more like we both have a rich neighbor named Xerox, and you broke in to steal the TV set, and you found out I'd been there first...
Reply
post #71 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkimak View Post

iCloud is great in theory but we are far from living in an on-line world.

Try to keep up with Apple. They skate to where the puck is going to be. That is why they score so often, and that is why companies like Archos and Cowan get left behind.

If you insist on using 20th century technology, here's a choice for you:


Cowon X7 160GB Pmp MP4 Player (Black) X7-160BL
http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CH4Q8wIwAA
post #72 of 116
I forgot the other reason I use my iPod Classic almost daily: as a portable hard drive. I was confused and somewhat pissed off when I couldn't figure out how to enable that on my iPhone. I was certain that the guy at the Apple store was either kidding or didn't know what he was talking about when he told me that it can't do that.
post #73 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Try to keep up with Apple. They skate to where the puck is going to be. That is why they score so often, and that is why companies like Archos and Cowan get left behind.

If you insist on using 20th century technology, here's a choice for you:


Cowon X7 160GB Pmp MP4 Player (Black) X7-160BL
http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CH4Q8wIwAA

Hyperbole much? You've offered very little to back up your statements.
post #74 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Hyperbole much? You've offered very little to back up your statements.

"I skate to where the puck is going to be," Jobs said as he introduced the long-rumored iPhone in January, "not to where it's been."
http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2007/...r.biz2/42.html


http://investing.businessweek.com/re...cker=056000:KS


http://www.euroinvestor.co.uk/stock/...aspx?id=344345


post #75 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Try to keep up with Apple. They skate to where the puck is going to be. That is why they score so often, and that is why companies like Archos and Cowan get left behind.

If you insist on using 20th century technology, here's a choice for you:


Cowon X7 160GB Pmp MP4 Player (Black) X7-160BL
http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CH4Q8wIwAA

You're either a great troll or a giant idiot.

Yeah, wanting to have my music with me is so 20th century.
post #76 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

"I skate to where the puck is going to be," Jobs said as he introduced the long-rumored iPhone in January, "not to where it's been."
http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2007/...r.biz2/42.html


http://investing.businessweek.com/re...cker=056000:KS


http://www.euroinvestor.co.uk/stock/...aspx?id=344345



ConradJoe - "Nobody needs that much storage in a pocketable device."

People here use it and daily.

ConradJoe - "Apple now makes products that appeal to the broad masses."

They own the iPod space already. And I wouldn't describe their market share for OS or their Macs targeting the broad masses.

Conradjoe - "If you insist on using 20th century technology, here's a choice for you:"

They'd better stop shipping all spinny drives on all Macs regardless of need or cost.


Conradjoe in response to Cloud skeptic - "Try to keep up with Apple. "

So we all have to buy iPhones and a wireless services and not have access to our full library because the service doesn't stream in the sense that what's in the cloud isn't available without some annoying remove old, download new to local storage.

Cost benefit analysis says, "OMG!"

Hey, if Apple goes that way, fine. It'll be interesting making it work remotely the same with how people use the Classic now - large libraries for cheap, integration with vehicles, simple convenience of not selecting and re-syncing based on theme or season . Taking a product that sells (yes declining but still profitable) off the market without a replacement I won't understand. Of course I couldn't do what Apple does either.
post #77 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by eksodos View Post

It's old.
It looks ugly.
The technology it uses is practically obsolete.
It doesn't support any of Apple's pioneering touch hardware or software.

iPod Classic is embarrassing and gives Apple a bad name.

it's over johnny, it's over.

You're old.
you're ugly.
You're obsolete.
It supports 250GB of music on the go without any need to for access to a network. It's the perfect music server for large collections.
post #78 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Good. Nobody needs that much storage in a pocketable device.

And 640KB is more memory than anyone will ever need.
post #79 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

ConradJoe - "Nobody needs that much storage in a pocketable device."

People here use it and daily.

ConradJoe - "Apple now makes products that appeal to the broad masses."

They own the iPod space already. And I wouldn't describe their market share for OS or their Macs targeting the broad masses.

Conradjoe - "If you insist on using 20th century technology, here's a choice for you:"

They'd better stop shipping all spinny drives on all Macs regardless of need or cost.


Conradjoe in response to Cloud skeptic - "Try to keep up with Apple. "

So we all have to buy iPhones and a wireless services and not have access to our full library because the service doesn't stream in the sense that what's in the cloud isn't available without some annoying remove old, download new to local storage.

Cost benefit analysis says, "OMG!"

Hey, if Apple goes that way, fine. It'll be interesting making it work remotely the same with how people use the Classic now - large libraries for cheap, integration with vehicles, simple convenience of not selecting and re-syncing based on theme or season . Taking a product that sells (yes declining but still profitable) off the market without a replacement I won't understand. Of course I couldn't do what Apple does either.


We'll see if Apple keeps selling iPods with mechanical hard drives. As of now, it is an open question.
post #80 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naboozle View Post

And 640KB is more memory than anyone will ever need.

Surely we need RAM in the Cloud when it's more practical to just have it in your machine.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple removes iPod classic click wheel games from iTunes Store