or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple TV to launch in Netherlands, Belgium, 5 more countries next week
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple TV to launch in Netherlands, Belgium, 5 more countries next week

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 
The iOS-powered Apple TV is set to launch next Tuesday in seven European countries: Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway and Sweden.

Availability will occur on the same day that Apple will hold a media event to show off its next-generation iPhone hardware. Word of the impending launch came from a note sent by Apple to resellers, obtained by MacRumors on Friday.

"We are delighted to announce the all-new Apple TV, with an enhanced user interface and a breakthrough price point, is now available to order in Belgium, Luxembourg, The Netherlands, Sweden, Denmark, Norway and Finland," the note reads. The set-top box is reportedly set to sell for 119 including VAT in Finland.

Global expansion of the hardware comes as Apple has launched its iTunes Store in 12 new European Union countries, ending an eight year wait. The expanded availability signals Apple's interest in selling more content throughout Europe through iTunes, which has become the largest music and movie store in the world.

The launch in seven new countries could be seen as a sign that Apple does not intend to refresh the Apple TV with a hardware upgrade this year. Some rumors earlier this year suggested the company was working on a new model powered by the A5 processor found in the iPad 2 and capable of displaying 1080p content, a higher resolution than the current maximum of 720p with the A4 CPU.



The redesigned Apple TV, which sells for $99 in the U.S., was launched in late 2010 and found success in the market, though Apple still famously refers to the device as a "hobby." Sales of the new Apple TV topped 2 million in April.
post #2 of 25
A friend of mine - a long-time American ex-pat in Belgium said that many of her friends don't watch much TV. I'm wondering how well something like Apple TV would do there?
post #3 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2P View Post

A friend of mine - a long-time American ex-pat in Belgium said that many of her friends don't watch much TV. I'm wondering how well something like Apple TV would do there?

I wouldn't think that she is representative of the majority

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_in_Belgium
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ons_in_Belgium
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #4 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2P View Post

A friend of mine - a long-time American ex-pat in Belgium said that many of her friends don't watch much TV.

I found a page that ranks media in Europe. (http://www.nationmaster.com/country/...gium/med-media). Belgium has 98% penetration of TV's; pretty large penetration of Cable subscribers (2nd of 18 - 37%) and 2.75 hours a day. Hmm.
post #5 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2P View Post

I found a page that ranks media in Europe. (http://www.nationmaster.com/country/...gium/med-media). Belgium has 98% penetration of TV's; pretty large penetration of Cable subscribers (2nd of 18 - 37%) and 2.75 hours a day. Hmm.

Nice find. Also note that the AppleTV far exceeds TV show watching to which your friend might be referring.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #6 of 25
This is like a bad news. If there will be a new model soon surely they will wait to launch a new one instead?
post #7 of 25
By far the best value-for-money product from Apple.

Can't wait for the day when it's actually bundled with a tv.
post #8 of 25
W00t!

Post #7000.

(Sorry, couldn't resist!)
post #9 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

By far the best value-for-money product from Apple.

Can't wait for the day when it's actually bundled with a tv.

I don't want it to be bundled with the tv (I don't mind if it is...) but what I want is for my cable co to create an app for it so the Apple TV is my only box... with an Apple interface.

Oh, and congrats on 7000 posts. Time to get a life, perhaps? Just kidding, geeez. Who needs a life when we have AI, right?
post #10 of 25
These country-by-country licensing issues must be an absolute nightmare to manage and negotiate.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #11 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

This is like a bad news. If there will be a new model soon surely they will wait to launch a new one instead?

Agreed. I am really hoping that Apple opens it up to apps. Would be so nice to stream video other than Netflix and iTunes. Airplay is okay, but kind of ackward.
post #12 of 25
Using it for almost a year now to watch most of the movies I see.
It's an exellent device and it's nice to see content for it in iTunes, finally.
It was a lot cheaper than 119€ though, about 69€ if I recall correctly.

J.
post #13 of 25
I just rented a movie on my AppleTV and I live in Brussels.

However the French (dubbed) and Dutch (subtitle) versions are mixed up on the same catalogue pages.

As always this is a complicated country.....
post #14 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

W00t!

Post #7000.

(Sorry, couldn't resist!)

Shouldn't that have been "700t!"
post #15 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post

Using it for almost a year now to watch most of the movies I see.
It's an exellent device and it's nice to see content for it in iTunes, finally.
It was a lot cheaper than 119 though, about 69 if I recall correctly.

J.

I agree, we really like ours. We used to say we love ours - but in the last few weeks it seems like iTunes access has really slowed down. I'm talking "7 minutes until ready" (or whatever the message says exactly) to download an episode of Modern Family - and it's not our connection; I can start streaming a Netflix episode instantly. (Note, this was the extreme; but it's not uncommon for it to say "2 minutes until ready"; and we've had buffering issues more than once with iTunes, but almost never with Netflix.)

Has anyone else noticed this? D'you suppose it's related to Apple bringing the cloud online and finishing up iOS5?
post #16 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

This is like a bad news. If there will be a new model soon surely they will wait to launch a new one instead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by msuberly View Post

Agreed. I am really hoping that Apple opens it up to apps. Would be so nice to stream video other than Netflix and iTunes. Airplay is okay, but kind of ackward.

I agree with the basic logic - but look at the bright side, I don't think Apple would be rolling it out to 6 European markets if it was still just a "hobby". I have to think with this news that Apple's taking an ever-more-serious interest in the AppleTV.
post #17 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post

I agree with the basic logic - but look at the bright side, I don't think Apple would be rolling it out to 6 European markets if it was still just a "hobby". I have to think with this news that Apple's taking an ever-more-serious interest in the AppleTV.

No necessarily, they sell it in other markets providing not much more than iTunes streaming
post #18 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Pierre Bobbaers View Post

I just rented a movie on my AppleTV and I live in Brussels.

However the French (dubbed) and Dutch (subtitle) versions are mixed up on the same catalogue pages.

As always this is a complicated country.....

"Complicated" is not the word that came to mind.......
post #19 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post

Shouldn't that have been "700t!"

Nice!
post #20 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post

I agree, we really like ours. We used to say we love ours - but in the last few weeks it seems like iTunes access has really slowed down. I'm talking "7 minutes until ready" (or whatever the message says exactly) to download an episode of Modern Family - and it's not our connection; I can start streaming a Netflix episode instantly. (Note, this was the extreme; but it's not uncommon for it to say "2 minutes until ready"; and we've had buffering issues more than once with iTunes, but almost never with Netflix.)

Has anyone else noticed this? D'you suppose it's related to Apple bringing the cloud online and finishing up iOS5?

I have had the exact opposite issue: to the point where I have now suspended my Netflix account!
post #21 of 25
Apple doesn't have any offering of TV shows, or movie in Norway so what is the point in selling it here? They sold 1st gen Apple TV before, but you could only play photo, music, youtube etc. which is pretty pointless if you ask me.
post #22 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

"Complicated" is not the word that came to mind.......

Was it compliquée if spoken and gecompliceerd if written?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #23 of 25
It is working since yesterday, subtitles and all if you want it. FINALLY!!! Loved it for streaming the content to the big screen. Loving it even more now. Not all movies can be bought, only rentals and no TV shows yet.

It's a big step in the good direction
post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

"Complicated" is not the word that came to mind.......

No. A Belgian colleague has told me that Brussels has a minister for agriculture (with staff, car, etc.). And about 2 farmers in all. The German Language community also has a minister for agriculture. And a whopping 20 farmers or so.
post #25 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by gctwnl View Post

No. A Belgian colleague has told me that Brussels has a minister for agriculture (with staff, car, etc.). And about 2 farmers in all. The German Language community also has a minister for agriculture. And a whopping 20 farmers or so.

What's whopping is that the country has 6 governments!

1 Federal government
2 Flemish government
3 Government of the French Community
4 Government of the German-speaking Community
5 Government of the Walloon Region
6 Government of the Brussels-Capital Region

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...nts_in_Belgium
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple TV to launch in Netherlands, Belgium, 5 more countries next week