or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › It Was In 20 Years Ago

It Was In 20 Years Ago

post #1 of 8
Sorry, I'm adding yet another thread to the hallowed grounds of PO.

Some of you who have followed politics more closely rhan I for the last 20 hears or so are probably looking looking back, wondering "No shit!"

Your thoughts?
"I have been made victorious by terror~ Muhammad

"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam," ~ Barack Obama

"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam," ~ Barack Obama

post #2 of 8
It's now been 17 minutes and still no replies.

post #3 of 8
How about you begin, set the tone, then maybe we can decide if it is worth the time to post anything.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

How about you begin, set the tone, then maybe we can decide if it is worth the time to post anything.

20 years ago I was 21 and whilst I read the newspaper during the school lunch break (as in high school) I paid hardly any attention after that for years. So, I don't have a whole lot of input.

Things have changed, 9/11, GW is better understood, (save jazz ) and a more global world etc.

I'm still in the same place politically...still thinking "Who gains and who really cares?"

I will say that back then, I was a lot more concerned with banking. I've all but dropped it now.

post #5 of 8
Just eight years ago it was "in" for Romney-

"Much of the business community in Massachusetts was puzzled. Mitt Romney, a Republican with high-caliber corporate credentials, had run for governor pledging to sweep aside barriers to business and act as the states top salesman. By the next year, he was in campaign mode and had scaled back a plan to close tax loopholes.

But just a few months after Mr. Romney took office in 2003, what he delivered seemed anything but friendly to the C.E.O. crowd: a bill to financial firms for what they saw as $110 million in new corporate taxes and a promise of more to come.

For the next three years, the Romney administration relentlessly scoured the tax code for more loopholes, extracting hundreds of millions of corporate dollars to help close budget gaps in a state with a struggling economy. It was only after Mr. Romney was gearing up in 2005 for a possible White House bid that he backed away from some of his most assertive tax enforcement proposals amid intensifying complaints from local companies and conservative antitax groups in Washington."
~ http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/02/us...e.html?_r=1&hp

post #6 of 8
(Duplicate)
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

Sorry, I'm adding yet another thread to the hallowed grounds of PO.

Some of you who have followed politics more closely rhan I for the last 20 hears or so are probably looking looking back, wondering "No shit!"

Your thoughts?

There has been a marked departure in the timeline from what I had initially anticipated... not just due to personal experiences.

For me I always was left-leaning but definitely have become more centrist in the past few years. I have honestly also had a spiritual "awakening" of sorts (note spiritual not religious) and so indeed much of what we see as "real" is not as real as we think it is.

That said one thing is clear. Once I got my first job out of college and the novelty of earning decent cash wore off a little, it dawned on me all the "dots that connected" that enabled me to succeed due to my middle-class upbringing.

In the context of the 20th century, the first and second world wars were of course absolutely hideous and brought humanity to the brink. The cold war intensified that brinkmanship but thankfully it all unravelled in the 90's... In the 21st century we face the next greatest threats... financial and environmental. Not as horrible perhaps as being invaded and taken over by war-crazed psychos or being nuked due to someone "accidentally" pressing a button.

But I do believe in the 21st century financial and environmental challenges will pose the biggest threat. I was hoping for a zeitgeist of mass awareness ("Age of Aquarius" type stuff) but it will be the plain ol' regular folk going, WTF?!! that will be the shift in consciousness.

The banks all over the world are spending massive amounts of money on PR and marketing to try and convince people they are not the problem. This will only intensify. If politics are the problem, think about who controls or at least puts the constraints on the politicians.
post #8 of 8
I'm honestly not sure what this thread is about. Our own personal and political development?
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › It Was In 20 Years Ago