or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Adobe keynote coincides with Apple's 'Let's talk iPhone' event
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Adobe keynote coincides with Apple's 'Let's talk iPhone' event

post #1 of 60
Thread Starter 
Adobe is planning to hold a keynote on Tuesday, Oct. 4, at 10 a.m. Pacific, the same date and time of Apple's highly-anticipated press event, where the company is expected to announce a next-generation iPhone.

The event, part of Adobe's annual week long MAX developer conference, will focus on product solutions for web browsers and apps, according to the company's website (via The New York Times). The MAX conference is scheduled to run from Oct. 1-5.

Adobe will also hold a keynote, entitled "Creativity unleashed," on Monday. The event will feature Adobe CTO Kevin Lynch as he showcases how the company is "transforming the creative process across mobile devices, personal computers, and the cloud.

Apple rivals BlackBerry (Research in Motion), HP, Motorola, Samsung and Sony are listed as "platinum sponsors" of the conference.

It is not immediately clear which company first chose their respective keynotes, though Apple only sent out invitations for its event on Tuesday of this week. However, Adobe is not expected to make any major product announcements at the event, as it would likely be eclipsed by Apple's news.



For its part, Apple is expected to announce the fifth-generation iPhone next Tuesday. The handset is assumed to feature a faster A5 processor and an improved camera. Recent evidence suggests that the so-called "IPhone 5" could feature virtual personal assistant voice control functionality.

The Cupertino, Calif., company will also likely highlight its iOS 5 and iCloud software on Tuesday ahead of their release this fall.

Apple's Oct. 4th iPhone event also conflicts with Oracle's OpenWorld conference. That event runs from Oct. 2-6 at the Moscone Center in San Francisco and will attract tens of thousands of attendees.

Adobe and Apple exchanged tense words in 2010 over the issue of Flash on iOS devices. Apple's then CEO Steve Jobs said in an open letter that his company shared "few joint interests" with Adobe and had "grown apart." Adobe CEO Shantanu Narayen called Jobs' letter a "smokescreen."

In recent months, the two companies' relationship appears to have improved. Earlier this month, Adobe announced support for Apple's Newsstand application, new to iOS 5, in its Digital Publishing Suite. Users will now be able to create Newsstand-compatible digital publications for iOS devices. The company also recently added HTML5 video support for iOS devices in its Flash Media Server product.
post #2 of 60
"So let's talk Flash."



"Um it's nice?"
post #3 of 60
adobe makes dev tools. they don't care what language you code in as long as you use their product
post #4 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

adobe makes dev tools. they don't care what language you code in as long as you use their product

Much as people express their dislike for Adobe's dev tools I ha e never been able to do without DW and PS. They are both hugely overpriced and have become total overkill I that I use less and less of their features, but I still need them frequently. Specially PS. Never found a usable alternative.
post #5 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple rivals BlackBerry (Research in Motion), HP, Motorola, Samsung and Sony are listed as "platinum sponsors" of the conference.

Shocker!

Apple itself is listed as a "tin sponsor."
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
post #6 of 60
D'oh!!!

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply
post #7 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Much as people express their dislike for Adobe's dev tools I ha e never been able to do without DW and PS. They are both hugely overpriced and have become total overkill I that I use less and less of their features, but I still need them frequently. Specially PS. Never found a usable alternative.

I use GIMP, and I've become quite proficient at it. It runs photoshop plugins and opens photoshop project files as well. Best of all its free.
post #8 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Shocker!
Apple itself is listed as a "tin sponsor."

post #9 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In recent months, the two companies' relationship appears to have improved...

This sounds like some sort of "Brad And Jen Patch Up!" kind of thing.
post #10 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericblr View Post

I use GIMP, and I've become quite proficient at it. It runs photoshop plugins and opens photoshop project files as well. Best of all its free.

I use GIMP as well, but the plugin support for the latest PS is not there, or has that changed with 2.7.3?
post #11 of 60
Apple should do what they did when they announced FCX and tell Adobe to move their keynote to a different day and time. Just because.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #12 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Apple should do what they did when they announced FCX and tell Adobe to move their keynote to a different day and time. Just because.

why stoop?

this is the first that i've heard of the adobe eventanywhere. i'm sure they're attempting to steal some of apple's thunder, but even if they're announcing a new product, it's quite pale to the attention apple has gotten everywherefor several months, now.

honestly, there really is nothing to see here.
post #13 of 60
Here in Japan the news has been mentioning the Apple event since the invites went out... Not a whisper about Adobe...

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #14 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_dog View Post

why stoop?

this is the first that i've heard of the adobe eventanywhere. i'm sure they're attempting to steal some of apple's thunder, but even if they're announcing a new product, it's quite pale to the attention apple has gotten everywherefor several months, now.

honestly, there really is nothing to see here.

Spot on dog.
post #15 of 60
Way to make sure you get no media attention, Adobe. What company in their right mind would try to steal Apple's thunder on their day? That doesn't happen. Idiotic move if this was Adobe's intent, unless they plan to announce a time machine or something of equal magnitude.
post #16 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericblr View Post

I use GIMP, and I've become quite proficient at it. It runs photoshop plugins and opens photoshop project files as well. Best of all its free.

I tried Gimp a long time ago but never found the time to learn it properly. It was pretty rough at the edges. I have used Elements a few times but in PS I know my way around. Its like when people insist that the Mac is easier to use than PC - it may be true to a beginner but the easiest tool to use is usually the one you know.
post #17 of 60
Adobe is getting into the smartphone game.

They're releasing the DobePhone. Its OS? ENTIRELY Flash-based. Its web browser? Doesn't even render HTML, only Flash.

Video support? Sure. If it's Flash.

Audio support? Flash, sure.

Pictures? Horribly-designed Flash image galleries, yep.
post #18 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

t is not immediately clear which company first chose their respective keynotes, though Apple only sent out invitations for its event on Tuesday of this week. However, Adobe is not expected to make any major product announcements at the event, as it would likely be eclipsed by Apple's news.

...

Apple's Oct. 4th iPhone event also conflicts with Oracle's OpenWorld conference. That event runs from Oct. 2-6 at the Moscone Center in San Francisco and will attract tens of thousands of attendees.

That's the beauty of Apple's secrecy.

Both Adobe and Oracle have booked their respective venues (LA and SF) for months and probably had a keynote slated for Tuesday at 10am (a typical keynote time for high-tech companies due to the legacy publishing deadlines for weekly periodicals).

Apart from their own financial conference calls, there's literally nothing from stopping Apple from scheduling an announcement whenever they'd like. They don't participate in trade shows anymore.
post #19 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Shocker!

Apple itself is listed as a "tin sponsor."

No, Apple is an aluminum [unibody] sponsor.
post #20 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I have never been able to do without DW and PS. They are both hugely overpriced and have become total overkill I that I use less and less of their features, but I still need them frequently. Specially PS. Never found a usable alternative.

I think your latter statement explains the "hugely overpriced" you are lamenting formerly.
post #21 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Way to make sure you get no media attention, Adobe. What company in their right mind would try to steal Apple's thunder on their day? That doesn't happen. Idiotic move if this was Adobe's intent, unless they plan to announce a time machine or something of equal magnitude.

Umm...people have known about Adobe Max 2011 since at the very least the beginning of June. So, no, it's not Adobe but APPLE that scheduled the event that is in conflict with other shows. Not that either side really cares since these events really aren't geared for the same type of people.
post #22 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Much as people express their dislike for Adobe's dev tools I ha e never been able to do without DW and PS. They are both hugely overpriced and have become total overkill I that I use less and less of their features, but I still need them frequently. Specially PS. Never found a usable alternative.

Are you kidding me? Dreamweaver is a big fat fail. Textmate, Coda, Komodo, Cappuccino and VIM work just fine and without all of the overhead that DW has associated with it. It's a ram hog and it's slow and crashes a lot. I need something fast and quick. DW only has like a couple of features that I would even want but the features aren't used often enough for them to matter at all. I use VIM, Textmate and Coda almost exclusively now with VIM being my favorite.
post #23 of 60
I guess not many people will show up at the Apple event because they'll all be heading to the Adobe event. I hear CEO Narayen delivers a great speech about the amazing powers of Flash.
post #24 of 60
The headline should be reverted to..

Adobe "PowerPoint presentation" coincides with Apple's 'Let's talk iPhone' event
post #25 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_dog View Post

why stoop?

this is the first that i've heard of the adobe event—anywhere. i'm sure they're attempting to steal some of apple's thunder, but even if they're announcing a new product, it's quite pale to the attention apple has gotten everywhere—for several months, now.

honestly, there really is nothing to see here.

Nope. This article is a bit misleading as it paints a picture that Adobe might be deliberately trying to time their event the same as Apple's. The fact is that Adobe MAX is held around the same date every year and the keynotes are similar times. Adobe MAX 2009 was held on October 4th as well. Also, Adobe announced their date first. I can find an announcement on August 11th about this event:
http://blogs.adobe.com/infiniteresol...-max-2011.html

I don't think Adobe was expecting Apple to change their usual July announcement to coincide with Adobe's usual October dates.
post #26 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Are you kidding me? Dreamweaver is a big fat fail. Textmate, Coda, Komodo, Cappuccino and VIM work just fine and without all of the overhead that DW has associated with it. It's a ram hog and it's slow and crashes a lot. I need something fast and quick. DW only has like a couple of features that I would even want but the features aren't used often enough for them to matter at all. I use VIM, Textmate and Coda almost exclusively now with VIM being my favorite.

Umm, and how many people use VIM compared to DW to create websites? Yeah, thought so. Anyone who thinks DW isn't a big fat success is delusional. I'm not saying DW is any good, just that it's a success. Heck, there are probably more DW users who don't know what VIM is, as there are VIM users creating websites.
post #27 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

Nope. This article is a bit misleading as it paints a picture that Adobe might be deliberately trying to time their event the same as Apple's.

Yup, pretty much.
Either AI haven't done their homework or they are just trying to create controversy out of...well, nothing.
Considering it only takes a 5 sec Google search to find out the truth, it's probably the latter.
post #28 of 60
Cmon guys, I think we should get behind Adobe, and forego the Apple event. After all, 80% of users using Adobe products said they would upgrade to the next version, whereas only 40% of iphone users would upgrade to the next version. I've only been waiting 3 years with my 3G phone, to upgrade. Why should I be so greedy to go up to current technology....Yep...Adobe here I come....Apple take a back seat for once, will ya!

Yea, right.
post #29 of 60
There truly is no end to these companies' acting like children on the playground.
post #30 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Much as people express their dislike for Adobe's dev tools I ha e never been able to do without DW and PS. They are both hugely overpriced and have become total overkill I that I use less and less of their features, but I still need them frequently. Specially PS. Never found a usable alternative.

Is that ever a true statement. Why of why has someone, even Apple not come up with viable alternatives to fundamental DTP software be it web or print. Back in the day at least we had some such as Freehand v Illustrator, Quark v PageMaker and so on. I know many will chime in about low end alttatives to PS but in truth for the professional there is not really anything that compares. I also agree Adobe has followed MS into creating bloatware and a cluttred mess. I hope the resurgence of the Mac will inspire some company out there or perhaps Apple themselves but the move from pro to prosumer applications prevalent at Apple doesn't bode well for that aspiration.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
post #31 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Adobe is getting into the smartphone game.

They're releasing the DobePhone. Its OS? ENTIRELY Flash-based. Its web browser? Doesn't even render HTML, only Flash.

Video support? Sure. If it's Flash.

Audio support? Flash, sure.

Pictures? Horribly-designed Flash image galleries, yep.

It doubles as a portable stove top with the optional ceramic hot plate attachment. There is also a discount for a portable generator of your choice.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
post #32 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Shocker!

Apple itself is listed as a "tin sponsor."

Wow that's a list of companies to be proud to be sponsored by, all so successful in the post PC era.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
post #33 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by robogobo View Post

There truly is no end to these companies' acting like children on the playground.

No company in this instance is acting childish. This is just a sensationalized article
post #34 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

No company in this instance is acting childish. This is just a sensationalized article

Agreed. What would have been more accurate would be "Apple scheduled iPhone event during Adobe conference" since the Adobe event (like Oracle Openworld) was planned a year ago at this time. Apple is the one who scheduled this week rather quickly. Articles like this make AI look pretty amateurish.
post #35 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_dog View Post

why stoop?

this is the first that i've heard of the adobe eventanywhere. i'm sure they're attempting to steal some of apple's thunder, but even if they're announcing a new product, it's quite pale to the attention apple has gotten everywherefor several months, now.

honestly, there really is nothing to see here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post

Agreed. What would have been more accurate would be "Apple scheduled iPhone event during Adobe conference" since the Adobe event (like Oracle Openworld) was planned a year ago at this time. Apple is the one who scheduled this week rather quickly. Articles like this make AI look pretty amateurish.

I don't think either side has anything to complain about. It's no different than saying that Apple scheduled its iPhone conference during a GM press conference. Or the Boston Marathon. Apple's press conference is completely unrelated to what Adobe is doing (other than the very broadest sense). Apple's releasing a new phone. Adobe is talking about (and maybe releasing) new developer tools. While there might be SOME people who would be interested in both conferences, the number is undoubtedly very small. The audiences are unrelated.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #36 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post

Agreed. What would have been more accurate would be "Apple scheduled iPhone event during Adobe conference" since the Adobe event (like Oracle Openworld) was planned a year ago at this time. Apple is the one who scheduled this week rather quickly. Articles like this make AI look pretty amateurish.

These things happen more often with iOS news than Mac OS news.
post #37 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I don't think either side has anything to complain about. It's no different than saying that Apple scheduled its iPhone conference during a GM press conference. Or the Boston Marathon. Apple's press conference is completely unrelated to what Adobe is doing (other than the very broadest sense). Apple's releasing a new phone. Adobe is talking about (and maybe releasing) new developer tools. While there might be SOME people who would be interested in both conferences, the number is undoubtedly very small. The audiences are unrelated.

Indeed. The only really relevant headline would be something like two major tech companies to host keynotes at the same time!. The reality is, they have nothing to do with each other, they involve different products, they are at different locations. If anything, the fact that they are at the same day and time is purely coincidental. In fact given that tech keynotes are typically held on Tuesdays at the same time, the chances of any two companies coinciding their events is something like 1 and 52. Not all that small.

Apple was not thinking about Adobe when they booked this conference. It was based purely on their own needs. Even if they were aware of Adobes conference it would be more of a gee, what a coincidence. I guess we should host this on our campus since the venue Adobe is using is occupied.

Adobes conference is night and day compared to Apples. Its not even supposed to have the same media focus that Apple gets. The similarities can be reasonably counted on one hand and dwarfed by the differences. Nobody is trying to steal anybodys thunder here.

As you said. Maybe some people would be interested in both conferences, but those numbers are likely small and is not unique to this situation. Its called a schedule conflict. It happens everywhere.
post #38 of 60
From the article:
Quote:
Adobe is planning to hold a keynote on Tuesday, Oct. 4, at 10 a.m. Pacific, the same date and time of Apple's highly-anticipated press event, where the company is expected to announce a next-generation iPhone.

Ok, English 101. Let's take out the parenthetical statement, and see the simpler meaning of the sentence:
Quote:
Adobe is planning to hold a keynote on Tuesday, Oct. 4, at 10 a.m. Pacific, ... where the company is expected to announce a next-generation iPhone.

Adobe's announcing a new phone?! Not.

If you meant the final phrase "...where the company is expected..." to modify the parenthetical phrase about Apple, you should've used "Apple" instead of "the company" in order to be clear. Although, even then, it would sound like Apple is releasing a new phone at Adobe's event. This really needed to be 2 independent sentences.

AI writers really need some writing lessons.
post #39 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

adobe makes dev tools. they don't care what language you code in as long as you use their product

someone gets it.
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
Reply
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
Reply
post #40 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Are you kidding me? Dreamweaver is a big fat fail. Textmate, Coda, Komodo, Cappuccino and VIM work just fine and without all of the overhead that DW has associated with it. It's a ram hog and it's slow and crashes a lot. I need something fast and quick. DW only has like a couple of features that I would even want but the features aren't used often enough for them to matter at all. I use VIM, Textmate and Coda almost exclusively now with VIM being my favorite.

Yes - DW is not perfect and I do use several less bloaty pieces of software but where I need DW is when I update table content. It's the only time I use wysiwyg but for tables code view is a big pain. DW is also good at cleaning up HTML created through pasting info I get emailed into txtedit and saving as HTML. DW is overkil perhaps, but for dealing with tables it save me a lot of time.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Adobe keynote coincides with Apple's 'Let's talk iPhone' event