or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple leaks "iPhone 4S" product name in latest iTunes beta
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple leaks "iPhone 4S" product name in latest iTunes beta - Page 8

post #281 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Nice revisionism. Here are some of the posts I was responding to:

Some of those posts were from Android fans. Its easy to tell - they say Apple's OS is worse than Android, or HTC will eat their lunch. But not all. Hilariously the one obvious troll was Samsung Vs Apple, and I retorted to him, not you.



Quote:
Now, if someone had said that THEY would be disappointed, that's an entirely valid opinion.

Is it?

Tell that to the guy with 3 posts who claimed exactly that and you retorted that he had no right to that opinion because he wasn't the entire market ( apparently you are).
I responded saying he should stay, so I may have saved AI an eyeball.

You've been bullying your way through this thread calling anybody , like goofy1958 who joined merely to say he wasn't going to upgrade, a hater, or a Fandroid, or a loudmouth. All he said was he wouldn't upgrade.

You bascially want Apple Insider to be a Party Line organ. It's never been that. Generally we are dissapointed. ( normally on release days, but this seems like it is from the horse's mouth). The only exception I can think of was the iPhone. The iPad raised a few hackles.

Quote:
My favorite was the one who claimed that it was ALREADY a failure because Apple's stock had dropped in the past week - completely ignoring that Nasdaq and GOOG had dropped by roughly the same amount.

That was me. Not that I said failure. I said the market would, and has, taken it badly. And I was right. You can check this yourself on the link I provided. Hoever, dont just click on the link - as I explained to the guy ( EDIT: YOU) who "rubbished" my claim - because that shows one day only. Click on the 5 day option and compare with Goog and NASDAQ.

http://www.google.co.uk/finance?client=ob&q=NASDAQ:AAPL

( Apple is beating nasdaq, handily over 1-3 months but down - and below nasdaq - in the last 5 days: EDIT as of 3rd Oct. 2011).

Its not just that, however, in general Apple stock appreciates before keynotes, or announcements, this time it hasnt. That indicates that this rumour is putting downward pressure on the market). I am also certain that if the 4S is all that is released the market, and opinion makers will re-act badly. Will be popping in here tomorrow with those links.

Quote:
You need to learn the difference between expressing an opinion and stating something as fact - which is clearly NOT factual.

Indeed, you do.

Attempts to make this some kind of totalitarian forum where there can be no criticisms of Apple are not going to work, Mate.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #282 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Attempts to make this some kind of totalitarian forum where there can be no criticisms of Apple are not going to work, Mate.

Attempts to spread your inane lies aren't going to work.

I never said that it was unfair to criticize Apple. Nor did I ever claim that Apple was perfect.

I do, however, respond to people (including you - as shown above) who present their opinions as if they are fact. It's rather telling that you interpret that as totalitarianism. I guess you've completely lost touch with reality. But, then, that was obvious from your posts where you pretend that the failure of the iPhone 4S is already fact.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #283 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Wrong. Liquidmetal is metallic in appearance. From a consumer's perspective, a liquidmetal back looks like an aluminum back, not what people would consider a 'glass' back.

Just because it's technically a glass, doesn't mean that it looks like the clear, brittle material you think of as glass.



If you'd bother learning about the subject, you'd realize that liquidmetal is a product range, not a specific product. One can make liquidmetal from any number of metal compositions. One can make a liquidmetal product from a radio-transparent alloy or from an alloy which is suitable for an antenna.

I don't think you read his posts on this thoroughly before blasting him. He clearly implied it was not a single product. Sometimes, I think people like you are simply looking for reasons to blast people. It's real shame. You should apologize to the poor guy, who appears to be a relative newbie. What he wrote is at least an attempt to be informative. Your purpose is to appear superior, to look up wikipedia (or whatever) just enough to jump all over someone. Shame on you.
post #284 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoanderson View Post

My predictions for Tuesday:

ACCURATE PREDICTION:
Apple will unveil one new phone: the 4s. It will be made using cheaper components, and will save Apple a boatload of money. It will carry the same pricing as the iPhone 4. No mention of the iPhone 6 until October 2012.

Fixed.
post #285 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Some of those posts were from Android fans. Its easy to tell - they say Apple's OS is worse than Android, or HTC will eat their lunch. But not all. Hilariously the one obvious troll was Samsung Vs Apple, and I retorted to him, not you.





Is it?

Tell that to the guy with 3 posts who claimed exactly that and you retorted that he had no right to that opinion because he wasn't the entire market ( apparently you are).
I responded saying he should stay, so I may have saved AI an eyeball.

You've been bullying your way through this thread calling anybody , like goofy1958 who joined merely to say he wasn't going to upgrade, a hater, or a Fandroid, or a loudmouth. All he said was he wouldn't upgrade.

You bascially want Apple Insider to be a Party Line organ. It's never been that. Generally we are dissapointed. ( normally on release days, but this seems like it is from the horse's mouth). The only exception I can think of was the iPhone. The iPad raised a few hackles.



That was me. Not that I said failure. I said the market would, and has, taken it badly. And I was right. You can check this yourself on the link I provided. Hoever, dont just click on the link - as I explained to the guy ( EDIT: YOU) who "rubbished" my claim - because that shows one day only. Click on the 5 day option and compare with Goog and NASDAQ.

http://www.google.co.uk/finance?client=ob&q=NASDAQ:AAPL

( Apple is beating nasdaq, handily over 1-3 months but down - and below nasdaq - in the last 5 days: EDIT as of 3rd Oct. 2011).

Its not just that, however, in general Apple stock appreciates before keynotes, or announcements, this time it hasnt. That indicates that this rumour is putting downward pressure on the market). I am also certain that if the 4S is all that is released the market, and opinion makers will re-act badly. Will be popping in here tomorrow with those links.



Indeed, you do.

Attempts to make this some kind of totalitarian forum where there can be no criticisms of Apple are not going to work, Mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Attempts to spread your inane lies aren't going to work.

I never said that it was unfair to criticize Apple. Nor did I ever claim that Apple was perfect.

I do, however, respond to people (including you - as shown above) who present their opinions as if they are fact. It's rather telling that you interpret that as totalitarianism. I guess you've completely lost touch with reality. But, then, that was obvious from your posts where you pretend that the failure of the iPhone 4S is already fact.


Are the two of you proud of clogging an (intermittently) interesting thread with your personal, petty attacks?
post #286 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by svnipp View Post

Well... IF there is an iPhone 5 to follow shortly for the holiday season, Apple would pretty much HAVE to unveil it tomorrow also. Otherwise you would have a LOT of seriously pissed off customers who went ahead and bought the 4S on release and would then be left out in the cold being stuck with the 4S when they really wanted a 5. Glad the announcement is tomorrow and all of this rumor business can be put to rest.

Agreed. I don't see a scenario where they release 4S next week and then 5 a month later. That, for sure, will stifle sales. Apple is too smart for that.
post #287 of 300
You're absolutely correct on that. I didn't think thru the obvious downside before I posted. If there's no mention of an iPhone 5 tomorrow, it's safe to assume it will be sometime next year before it rears it's head IMO.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #288 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

You're absolutely correct on that. I didn't think thru the obvious downside before I posted. If there's no mention of an iPhone 5 tomorrow, it's safe to assume it will be sometime next year before it rears it's head IMO.

Next July or October?
post #289 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Next July or October?

As a guess, announced by April.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #290 of 300
Hey, what's the word on when these become available? When apple announces something on Tuesday, is it available the same day? Or the next weekend? Anyone know?
post #291 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So… what's your point? The first-gen looks the best of any of the iPhones. LiquidMetal is radio transparent, so the entire back can be one piece, no seams, no plastic.

Liquid Metal is not described as radio transparent by the company anywhere on their website that I can find. Maybe you can provide some documentation to substantiate your claim. Liquid Metal is described as a conductor, weak but nevertheless a conductor. Maybe it is suitable as a cell phone chassis but I tend to think not.

Anything that is a conductor is not completely radio transparent. In the case of cell phones, the substance through which radio waves are to pass should be radio transparent. Therefore it would not be advisable to use any substance except those with the absolute lowest radio opaqueness in order to achieve optimum efficiency. This conduciveness of Liquid Metal would seem to exclude it as an appropriate substance for a cell phone back unless the radiation was to be emitted through an external antenna.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #292 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay View Post

Hey, what's the word on when these become available? When apple announces something on Tuesday, is it available the same day? Or the next weekend? Anyone know?



How could we know? Look at past iPhone releases for clues.
post #293 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post



How could we know? Look at past iPhone releases for clues.

WEll I can't go to pastiphonereleases.com to find out. I was hoping for someone who recalled better than I
post #294 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

Android phones have already seen larger displays, curved glass, 3D displays, NFC, 4G, 1.5 GHz dual-core processors, 1 GB RAM, 8 MP cameras, etc. Quad-core processors and 16 MP cameras are about to hit Android phones soon.

I'm seriously hoping Apple has an iPhone 5 surprise planned for next week. If the best Apple can deliver in 16 months is an iPhone 4 chassis with some iPad 2 upgrades, there will be some disappointed people and investors. iOS 5 mostly seems to play catchup with Android and Windows Phone, so most of the new software features are a "been there, done that."

As I consider the possibility of only an iPhone 4S I realize that the only thing truly necessary is specification updates. Faster processor, more RAM, better camera, better antenna architecture, etc. While a silly part of me likes the idea of something which looks different, I can admit that is silly, because the iPhone 4 has a great design and appearance. I do hope they release an iPhone 5 with some small and appropriate adjustments, though.

But what you've listed above smacks of viewing products by specification lists rather than actual use and performance. I would gladly take an 8 MP camera in my phone paired with good photo quality over a 16 MP camera with poor photo quality, and just as today's iPhone takes better photos than most 8 MP smartphone cameras out there I expect tomorrow's 8 MP iPhone to trounce the 16 MP smartphones handily. MP today reminds me of GHz in times past as applied to processors. Without high quality, the only thing a higher MP number does for you is create photographs which take up more space on storage. Paired with quality, it allows for print at very large sizes and improved cropping (the later of which being the worthwhile bonus for a fair amount of users).

Why does curved glass matter? It will allow for cooler designs in the right hands, I suppose, but it is not a game-changing feature or something anyone should properly lose sleep over.

Improved communication methods would be nice.

Larger screens are relative. I really don't care about that, though I realize some people do (more so in the tech community). Less so in the public.

3D display? That's a complete trash gimmick. I hope Apple never does it.

What matters most at the end of the day is how the phone performs, how quickly and easily it can be used, how reliable it is, availability of apps and quality of apps, etc.
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
Reply
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
Reply
post #295 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay View Post

Hey, what's the word on when these become available? When apple announces something on Tuesday, is it available the same day? Or the next weekend? Anyone know?

If memory serves, the earliest that iPads and iPhones have been made available was the Friday of the same week of announcement. Typically, the waiting period is longer.

Macs, however, are sometimes available on the same day.
post #296 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

If memory serves, the earliest that iPads and iPhones have been made available was the Friday of the same week of announcement. Typically, the waiting period is longer.

Macs, however, are sometimes available on the same day.

My bet is on next Friday (10/14). I've seen lots of rumors/speculation on this date also and I think this is probably correct. Keep in mind that the iPhone 4 release had phones being delivered a day or two before the actual in store release. This would mean that they would have to start selling the phones online tomorrow night to even have a chance at the shipping to arrive by Friday for the online purchasers, like me.

I would guess that orders might go live online this Friday with "announced" delivery next Friday. I'm guessing though that Apple will allow actual deliveries by Wednesday of next week. There will still be lines wrapped around the buildings, but I'd love to NOT spend 10 hours waiting in line this time.
post #297 of 300
Will probably be fully subsidized so they can move 30.5m units in a quarter. Great strategy to own Christam season. Could be huge for Sprints recovery.

Free with $90 per month plan data unlimited would blow the market apart.
post #298 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by svnipp View Post

My bet is on next Friday (10/14). I've seen lots of rumors/speculation on this date also and I think this is probably correct. Keep in mind that the iPhone 4 release had phones being delivered a day or two before the actual in store release. This would mean that they would have to start selling the phones online tomorrow night to even have a chance at the shipping to arrive by Friday for the online purchasers, like me.

I would guess that orders might go live online this Friday with "announced" delivery next Friday. I'm guessing though that Apple will allow actual deliveries by Wednesday of next week. There will still be lines wrapped around the buildings, but I'd love to NOT spend 10 hours waiting in line this time.

So you are saying ... screw the show-n-tell today and just go line up?
post #299 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoanderson View Post

Tim Cook: "And now for the big unveil.... last spring's phone."

Seriously, this is the first product unveil post-Steve Jobs. They really need to unveil something that'll blow people's socks off; and slightly tweaking an almost-two year old model isn't going to cut it. The best I can hope for is that the 4S ends up being dirt-cheap, because I'm not paying $400 for last year's phone + a 2-year contract.

Actually, right now they don't need your business. The iPhone is still new to most of the world and they can afford to roll out in more and more markets with a nearly unchanged product that is still the best selling phone. Your individual needs may not be quite as important as the overall market this round.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #300 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoanderson View Post

Tim Cook: "And now for the big unveil.... last spring's phone."

Seriously, this is the first product unveil post-Steve Jobs. They really need to unveil something that'll blow people's socks off; and slightly tweaking an almost-two year old model isn't going to cut it. The best I can hope for is that the 4S ends up being dirt-cheap, because I'm not paying $400 for last year's phone + a 2-year contract.

Quick question, how is this last years phone when the internals are COMPLETELY different?

... at night.

Reply

... at night.

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple leaks "iPhone 4S" product name in latest iTunes beta