or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple leaks "iPhone 4S" product name in latest iTunes beta

Apple leaks "iPhone 4S" product name in latest iTunes beta - Page 2

post #41 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

This is silly.

Who says that the device has to be redesigned every year or two? It's still selling and leading the industry, so why constantly change it - just to make a tiny percentage of people on AI who might care happy?

There have been a number of times that Apple kept designs in use for years. It's not the end of the world.

Its a much more competitive world.. And it is not just Apple Insider. Take a look at AAPL since the rumours of the iPhone 5 not being anything other than an iPhone 4S went into over-drive. It;s off by $30.

http://www.google.co.uk/finance?client=ob&q=NASDAQ:AAPL

Quote:
Besides, what else does it need? There are plenty of software updates coming - which will work just fine on a 4S. It's supposedly getting more RAM, better camera, faster CPU, and becoming a 'world phone'. For 99% of people, that's plenty. Sure, some want a bigger screen, but others won't buy it if it has a bigger screen, so that's a wash. What else does it really need? Would it really be a better phone with an FM tuner, 8-track player, and tailfins?

Apple lives and dies by it's design. I will buy one of these 4S as I have a 3GS, I update every two cycles ( and thus the delay has bugged me anyway). However there will be little reason for someone on the 4 to update to the 4S. The 3GS was a dog. The 3GS was much better.

If iOS5 screams on the 4S it may sell. Otherwise people on an iPhone 4 will stick to it.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #42 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

And the hits just keep on coming!...

There is a TUAW post of a reader who "captured" an image from Cincinnati Bell of an iPhone 5 with 4" screen and 4G

What to believe?... Is your head spinning from the rumor jerk around? C'mon Tuesday!
/
/
/

That site doesn't mention Apple that I can see

http://i-ontheweb.com/shop/phones.aspx

Except for the case leaks, I'm unaware of any actual iP5 hardware 'leaks'.

Looks like it will be 4s.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
post #43 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

It is a fact that apple can no longer compete in the smartphone market against such large players now like HTC and Samsung with just hardware and physical features that would be impossible as these companies are willing to throw all of their profits in R&D to crank out phones every other month

Apple is the biggest company in the world.

Quote:
Is iOS 5 a worthwhile OS for someone who already has a Samsung Galaxy S II or a Evo 3d to make the switch to the iPhone. Well they would now have to sacrifice their larger screen, NFC, 3D, HDMI ports Dual flash, and for what. They would go to an OS with a new notification system that is not as good as the one they came from. They would have twitter integrated. Is that really a big deal? NO they would have had all the features of this on their last phone it was just nothing that was bragged about. They will have the new assistant feature, which is good because android has had that since 2.2 so its not a big deal to them. They will notice that allot of the videos in some of the websites they frequent don't work anymore. In all I don't think apple would be wise to just release a small spec bump with competition this fearsome and iOS really being a Catch-up OS.

With that said Google will be announcing Ice Cream Sandwich soon so we will know what features iOS 6 will have. JK

Ice Cream Sandwich is paying catch=up with iOS 4.0, by integrating the Tablet and Phone OS. Thats only a year later than iOS 4. iOS 5, like all of Apple's OSes, are far better than Android's VM, precisely because it is an OS, not a VM.

Android's only advantage is maps.

( As for the voice assistant. Most people dont care, on either phone. We can type).
post #44 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

That sight doesn't mention Apple that I can see

That site did. But it's just guesswork.
post #45 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Its a much more competitive world...

Apple lives and dies by it's design. I will buy one of these 4S as I have a 3GS, I update every two cycles ( and thus the delay has bugged me anyway). However there will be little reason for someone on the 4 to update to the 4S. The 3GS was a dog. The 3GS was much better.

If iOS5 screams on the 4S it may sell. Otherwise people on an iPhone 4 will stick to it.

ditto.

But it is a bit puzzling it took so long. Lots of reason why, but don't know if they hold with the competition coming on so strong.
post #46 of 300
I dont understand the "its all about iOS 5" arguments though. Really? iOS 5 runs on my 3GS. It cant be all about the software.
post #47 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

The 3GS was essentially the same aesthetically as the 3G. The feature set was not a significant improvement. It was essentially *just* a speed bump, which was proven not to be bad mojo at all as the iPhone only became more popular. So Apple may well be staying consistent.?

This is a very different world compared to June 2009. Apple's competitors have stepped up their game, and sticking to the tired old form factor could prove to be disastrous this time.

Note that I owned a 3GS and thought it was a great update at the time (an incredible speed bump). It was more than good enough to deal a significant blow to the competition. Hell, Android was only really put on the map for mainstream consumers months later, in November 2009, with the first Droid. Things are very, very different today - the next few weeks will see the release of Android phones with 1.5 Ghz dual core CPUs and 720p-screens, and WP7 has really come into its own. I will be horribly disappointed if Apple stick with the iPhone 4 design.
post #48 of 300
Quote:

That site did. But it's just guesswork.

corrected.
post #49 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

Sure, but what would developers do? Add another button in a row of horizontal buttons because they could do this while keeping their 'physical' size the same?

Can anybody with some experience with Android tell me how this is done there? If you run the same app on a 3.5" Android phone and on a 4.3" Android phone. Are the control elements (buttons etc.) larger (in millimetres) on the 4.3" device? Are there more control elements? Or use the control elements the same pixel numbers and the extra space (and pixels) are used to display more non-fixed size content (eg, longer lists, larger photos)?

Controls stay the same size but can be programmed to keep the same distance from the edge of a screen, or another control etc. None too different to the way resizing works on a window on OS X when resized. Its not a huge challenge.
post #50 of 300
I can see a case for a $49 (under AT&T/Verizon contract) iPhone 4, an iPhone 4S with updated internal components in an iPhone 4 casing, and the tapered iPhone 5 with the larger display.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #51 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

The 3GS was essentially the same aesthetically as the 3G. The feature set was not a significant improvement. It was essentially *just* a speed bump, which was proven not to be bad mojo at all as the iPhone only became more popular. So Apple may well be staying consistent.

On the other hand, 15 months are a long time for a speed bump, unless the software is the reason for the delay.

Except when the 3GS came out there was still no real smartphone competition, so it was almost like Apple saying "others still can't do what we do, but we're improving on ourselves". Now the playing field is very different. iOS is still loads better in my mind than Android, but the fact is a lot of consumers are going for larger screens, more memory, etc (as others have posted above). For Apple to do a "tweak" at this point - and especially after so long - would in fact be a disappointment, at a minimum.
post #52 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

This is silly.

Who says that the device has to be redesigned every year or two? It's still selling and leading the industry, so why constantly change it - just to make a tiny percentage of people on AI who might care happy?

There have been a number of times that Apple kept designs in use for years. It's not the end of the world.

Besides, what else does it need? There are plenty of software updates coming - which will work just fine on a 4S. It's supposedly getting more RAM, better camera, faster CPU, and becoming a 'world phone'. For 99% of people, that's plenty. Sure, some want a bigger screen, but others won't buy it if it has a bigger screen, so that's a wash. What else does it really need? Would it really be a better phone with an FM tuner, 8-track player, and tailfins?

I agree. The iPhone 4 design is near-perfect in my opinion. As Steve said,"...like a fine Leica camera."

The smartphone is all about software. I am willing to bet that iOS5 with Assistant speech recognition and iCloud storage will knock the socks off everybody.

If they don't change the case design, that means they will be amortizing the iPhone 4 design over 2 generations, and that is good for profitability. Apple is super good at maximizing margins. They keep the number of models to a minimum. Why do they need 2 case designs?

I expect that on Tuesday, we will have an iPhone 4 8GB at $99, iPhone 4s 16GB at $199, and iPhone 4s 32GB at $299. Improved specs on the 4s (such as A5, 1GB RAM and 8MP camera) and loads of software improvements (such as stabilization for video, perhaps).

Look for long lines outside Apple stores on introduction day.
post #53 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

Maybe, but I don't expect them to be selling 600,000 in the first weekend of pre-orders like they did with the iPhone 4.
post #54 of 300
So it has a significantly faster dual-core processor, twice as much RAM, a better camera and is HSPA+ ready. What exactly would make this any more of a 'new' phone? It's an across the board upgrade!

Sure, it's nice to have a new look every now and again, but the iPhone 4 looks BEAUTIFUL, it's silly thin and it's sold like hot cakes with auntie Maggie's jam on top!

I can't think of anything hardware-wise that I would expect in excess of what is listed here. iOS5 is where my excitement lies. When Apple released the iPhone 4 last year I thought to myself 'they're gonna struggle to come up with something new for next year after this.' Not that I want them to, because I think they've hit a ceiling now with features. More speed is all we can expect each year from now on. The odd new thing like NFC sure, but the major areas like resolution, multitasking, front facing cameras etc. have all be resolved now.

Think about it, what's changed in a MacBook in the last 5 years? It's got thinner and faster, that's it. It's about the software now and that's fine by me.
post #55 of 300
Quote:

I agree. The iPhone 4 design is near-perfect in my opinion. As Steve said,"...like a fine Leica camera."

The smartphone is all about software. I am willing to bet that iOS5 with Assistant speech recognition and iCloud storage will knock the socks off everybody.

Who cares? Apart from possibly Assistant, all of this stuff will work on my iPhone 4 too. Good software is obviously of paramount importance, but I expect Apple to lead in the hardware deparment as well. They're not doing that if they stick to a 15-month old design with a diminutive screen. So where's the incentive to upgrade my 4? Now, if they gave it a bigger screen with 720p-resolution, the rumored elongated capacitive home button, an aluminium back... I'd jump on that.
post #56 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I can see a case for a $49 (under AT&T/Verizon contract) iPhone 4, an iPhone 4S with updated internal components in an iPhone 4 casing, and the tapered iPhone 5 with the larger display.

Tapered iPhone 5 is unlikely. Read this:

http://daringfireball.net/2011/09/teardrop_skepticism
post #57 of 300
If the iPad 2 in relation to the original iPad is any reflection, the speed bump would not be minor. It doubled. Further, Apple used to redesign the casings for its Macs every year when it was struggling to sell Macs. Now that its Mac market share is increasing and it doesn't need to rely on the Mac faithful upgrading every two years, it has not significantly redesigned the casings of any of its Macs. By all indications, the iPhone is still the number one selling phone. Apple might redesign the casing, but the market isn't really giving Apple a significant reason to do so. Further, it would be foolish to do a major redesign as that would risk its current sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealestmc View Post

I might sit on the sideline this time around. I don't think i can spend over 600 dollars on an iPhone 4 with minor speed bumps. i am holding onto my iPhone 4 or i will get a htc or samsung phone until apple comes out with the iPhone 5 new year.
post #58 of 300
Quote:

Speech is not the big deal everybody seems to think. And iOS 5 runs on a 3GS. iCloud storage we already know about .

Quote:
If they don't change the case design, that means they will be amortizing the iPhone 4 design over 2 generations, and that is good for profitability. Apple is super good at maximizing margins. They keep the number of models to a minimum. Why do they need 2 case designs?

Why not amortize the design of the iPhone 1 over 4 generations?

Quote:
I expect that on Tuesday, we will have an iPhone 4 8GB at $99, iPhone 4s 16GB at $199, and iPhone 4s 32GB at $299. Improved specs on the 4s (such as A5, 1GB RAM and 8MP camera) and loads of software improvements (such as stabilization for video, perhaps).

Those prices are basically you taking the existing on contract an US based prices, which are not reflective of the actual prices at all and applying them to the new models. That makes no sense. There is no reason to get rid of the 3GS, for instance. In fact you contradicted yourself in two paragraphs - amortizing the 4S design is good, getting rid of a top selling phone like the 3Gs is good.

And where, in this business plan. is the cheap model? The iPhone 4 8GB at $99 is really selling at $450 off contract. Not cheap. Even if - maybe especially if - they just have a 4S they will keep the 3GS. It runs iOS 5. It can be their entry model outside the US. <$300 of contract. Or cheaper.

Quote:

For just the 4S? Tumbleweed. I'll get one because I waited two cycles. I have no reason to see one, as there is nothing to see ( unlike the retina display last year). So even though I didnt buy last year, I went to take a look the day after the release in the UK. This year - an online order.
post #59 of 300
Quote:

Most people update every 2 cycles. At least those who are on a 2-year contract. I skipped both 3G and 3Gs. Got my iPhone 4 on the first day it was available. AT&T will not give me a subsidized price again until Feb 2012. So, I will wait and upgrade as soon as eligible. Now, if AT&T were to cut my monthly charge as soon as the contract was over, I would not upgrade for a long time.
post #60 of 300
Quote:

Controls stay the same size but can be programmed to keep the same distance from the edge of a screen, or another control etc. None too different to the way resizing works on a window on OS X when resized. Its not a huge challenge.

Not a huge challenge but if Apple releases a 4" phone on Tuesday, it will nevertheless take quite some time until most apps actually take advantage of it. I mean, how long did it take until most apps had their iPad version which is also just a larger window? iPad app developers had a three month headstart between announcement and shipment but it still took quite some time.
post #61 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

What about those iPhone5 case and other rumors?

So much is pointing to two phones. Evidence of one is not evidence against two.

And don't discount iOS5. Form factor is not why people buy the iPhone. It's apps, features, and usability.

There's been a lot of case imagery floating around, some of it convincing enough for me to think the cases are real, and plentiful. This is not to say that they'll fit anything Apple will introduce, but it appears significant money has been spent to make cases for something which is clearly not an iPhone 4S.
post #62 of 300
Quote:

Most people update every 2 cycles. At least those who are on a 2-year contract. I skipped both 3G and 3Gs. Got my iPhone 4 on the first day it was available. AT&T will not give me a subsidized price again until Feb 2012. So, I will wait and upgrade as soon as eligible. Now, if AT&T were to cut my monthly charge as soon as the contract was over, I would not upgrade for a long time.

Maybe, but if that is universal, then the 4S will only sell to those of use who own a 3GS from two years ago. And thats not going to set the world alight. They need to get the kind of poeple who upgrade every cycle. Or get people back from Android.
post #63 of 300
Quote:

Tapered iPhone 5 is unlikely. Read this:

http://daringfireball.net/2011/09/teardrop_skepticism

I think there is enough info from China that I wouldn't count it out. From that opinion piece Gruber also said
Benm.ats photos of their prototype, to my eyes, make this design seem less severely tapered than MacRumors mockups based on the same purported form factor. Its not balanced or symmetric, but, its not as unbalanced and asymmetric as Id been thinking.
post #64 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

Not a huge challenge but if Apple releases a 4" phone on Tuesday, it will nevertheless take quite some time until most apps actually take advantage of it. I mean, how long did it take until most apps had their iPad version which is also just a larger window? iPad app developers had a three month headstart between announcement and shipment but it still took quite some time.

Yes, I was talking about how it works on Android. YOu are correct - the fact that Apple has not told devs to worry about this is telling. if the screen is bigger it will have a lower DPI and the same proportions.
post #65 of 300
Quote:

Speech is not the big deal everybody seems to think. And iOS 5 runs on a 3GS. iCloud storage we already know about .

Speech recognition is a big deal. Maybe not to you. The fact that iOS 5 may run on 3Gs and that we know about iCloud is not the point. The point is that these things taken together will make using the iPhone 4 and 4S a fantastic experience. And that means explosive sales worldwide.

Quote:

Why not amortize the design of the iPhone 1 over 4 generations?

Those prices are basically you taking the existing on contract an US based prices, which are not reflective of the actual prices at all and applying them to the new models. That makes no sense. There is no reason to get rid of the 3GS, for instance. In fact you contradicted yourself in two paragraphs - amortizing the 4S design is good, getting rid of a top selling phone like the 3Gs is good.

And where, in this business plan. is the cheap model? The iPhone 4 8GB at $99 is really selling at $450 off contract. Not cheap. Even if - maybe especially if - they just have a 4S they will keep the 3GS. It runs iOS 5. It can be their entry model outside the US. <$300 of contract. Or cheaper.

Clearly, you don't understand business strategy. Apple is very consistent about how they do things. You also seem to be confusing contract with no-contract prices.
post #66 of 300
Quote:

It is a fact that apple can no longer compete in the smartphone market against such large players now like HTC and Samsung with just hardware and physical features that would be impossible as these companies are willing to throw all of their profits in R&D to crank out phones every other month. Apple on the other hand has always been more into releasing one product a year. In the fast advancing field of Smart phones you can't expect to make any real headway off of one release a year with just hardware so it requires some form of software to complement it.

Is iOS 5 a worthwhile OS for someone who already has a Samsung Galaxy S II or a Evo 3d to make the switch to the iPhone. Well they would now have to sacrifice their larger screen, NFC, 3D, HDMI ports Dual flash, and for what. They would go to an OS with a new notification system that is not as good as the one they came from. They would have twitter integrated. Is that really a big deal? NO they would have had all the features of this on their last phone it was just nothing that was bragged about. They will have the new assistant feature, which is good because android has had that since 2.2 so its not a big deal to them. They will notice that allot of the videos in some of the websites they frequent don't work anymore. In all I don't think apple would be wise to just release a small spec bump with competition this fearsome and iOS really being a Catch-up OS.

With that said Google will be announcing Ice Cream Sandwich soon so we will know what features iOS 6 will have. JK

This one's a keeper.
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
post #67 of 300
disappointing.

I have all these Android guys showing me their larger screened, thinner devices.

I so wished they'd have two models to at least have some variance in the line as people are finicky when they buy things.

I was hoping for a slightly larger screen for my fat fingers. The 1G iPhone I have is ready for retirement.

Here's hopin.\
post #68 of 300
Quote:

Maybe, but if that is universal, then the 4S will only sell to those of use who own a 3GS from two years ago. And thats not going to set the world alight. They need to get the kind of poeple who upgrade every cycle. Or get people back from Android.

Not really. Initially, the 4S will sell to those who own a 3GS from 2 years ago. And new users who are coming off a contract from somewhere else (Android or otherwise). And those who are getting a phone for the first time in the U.S and other countries (i.e. market growth).

Eventually, iPhone 4 users will get the 4s when their contract expires.

This is all just common sense.
post #69 of 300
Quote:

Speech recognition is a big deal. Maybe not to you.

To very few people, and it exists on Android. Voice activation seems like some kind of holy grail because if makes up for everything else - the delay, the same design. to who?

Quote:
The fact that iOS 5 may run on 3Gs and that we know about iCloud is not the point.

Why not? If it is all about the OS and the OS runs fine on the 3GS what is the point?

Quote:
. The point is that these things taken together will make using the iPhone 4 and 4S a fantastic experience. And that means explosive sales worldwide.

If the iPhone 4 and the iPhone 4S are both a "fantastic experience" why would it mean "explosive sales" worldwide? That makes no sense. iOS 5 has to be much better on the 4S to garner explosive sales, which are just going to come from people moving from Android, or upgrading from iPhone 4. It wont happen with just people upgrading from the 3GS.

Quote:
Clearly, you don't understand business strategy. Apple is very consistent about how they do things. You also seem to be confusing contract with no-contract prices.

NO YOU ARE. It was you who was using contract prices in the US. I pointed out that was incorrect. In very simple English. So lets repeat: no iPhone sells at $99. Or anything like it. The price of all iPhones is it's off contract price. Stop quoting contract prices in one country. It is meaningless.

As for Apple's business strategy - you cant judge their future by their past. If we were talking about iPod's back in 2004 you would say they always produce a new model which has the same design but with more storage, and sell last years model at a discount. Then came the mini, nano, shuffle etc.

releasing this years model, and reducing last years model in price ( to a price still very high off contract) is not going to work going forward. And I am sure it is not what they are going to do going forward. If that is what they do in 2015, they will have 5% of the market.

For instance: where in this business model of yours is the cheap off-contract PAYG China phone?
post #70 of 300
ooooh hahahahaha only 2 more days..I gonna wet my pants?
post #71 of 300
Quote:

Not really. Initially, the 4S will sell to those who own a 3GS from 2 years ago. And new users who are coming off a contract from somewhere else (Android or otherwise). And those who are getting a phone for the first time in the U.S and other countries (i.e. market growth).

Eventually, iPhone 4 users will get the 4s when their contract expires.

This is all just common sense.

Common sense, or not, it wont drive "explosive growth". The ratio of people who bought the 3GS two years ago is a small minority of all existing iPhone owners. Apple cant rely on them to drive growth. If there is no compelling reason for a switch from Android without a new form factor, so that wont drive growth, and if Apple dont have a wow factor, they wont get new smart phone users either.
post #72 of 300
Quote:

It was you who was using contract prices in the US. I pointed out that was incorrect. In very simple English. So lets repeat: no iPhone sells at $99. Or anything like it. The price of all iPhones is it's off contract price. Stop quoting contract prices in one country. It is meaningless.

Yes. I was quoting contract prices in the U.S. Anybody with half a brain would have understood that.

So, I will repeat: the iPhone 3Gs sells for $49 (previously $99) with a 2-year contract in the U.S.

Is this clear enough for you? Or, am I still confusing you?
post #73 of 300
He is wrong anyway, that really is what they sell for here. No US iPhone Carrie gives you a discount for bringing an unlocked phone, so you are not really paying more over time. The price to the consumer is $99.
post #74 of 300
E*get already showed screenshots of both iphone 5 and iphone 4s. This article should be updated.
post #75 of 300
Quote:

Its a much more competitive world.. And it is not just Apple Insider. Take a look at AAPL since the rumours of the iPhone 5 not being anything other than an iPhone 4S went into over-drive. It;s off by $30.

Please. Tech has generally been off in the last two days: NASDAQ down 5%. Even Amazon was not spared: after an impressive runup on Wed (Fire), it was off by 7.5% in the past two days.

Who knows why.

Apple's moves are generally in line, and not attributable to anything as specific as iPhone 5.
post #76 of 300
I understand how people are saying that we all will disappointed in apple if they just release a 4S, heck I will too, but to say that it won't be a success is plain rubbish. Most of the people saying that they won't buy, are those who already have the iPhone 4 (yes tech geeks I'm talking to you). There are a lot of regular costumers who still have a contract with the 3GS. If the new iPhone is just a speed bump and camera upgrade than for iPhone 4 owners to upgrade wouldn't make sense, but to the rest of us it would be a great upgrade, granted not as great as the iPhone 5 mockups but enough to sell Apple some phones. But hey, maybe apple was so irritated with the whole gizmodo showing off there iPhone before the keynote that they made it their priority to conceal the real iPhone 5. wouldn't that be sweet?
post #77 of 300
Judging by how well the 3Gs is still selling I suspect the 4s will become a uniformed low-end offering on both GSM and CDMA networks replacing the 3Gs and the iPhone 5 will be the new top end. I don't think that the 4 (or at least the 4 form factor) will go away, especially considering how popular it is.
post #78 of 300
Quote:

Yes. I was quoting contract prices in the U.S. Anybody with half a brain would have understood that.

So, I will repeat: the iPhone 3Gs sells for $49 (previously $99) with a 2-year contract in the U.S.

Is this clear enough for you? Or, am I still confusing you?

No, I know what you are quoting but it as relevant as quoting the Romanian price a contract with O2. Or the Hungarian contract with MagyarMobile.

All the more stupid because the rest of the world - where a good percentage of people on this forum, like me reside - can get the latest phone for free, or for $200(ish), or for $100(ish) because there are many and varied contracts. Quoting a phone price in one country on one contract is nonsense when we are trying to work out how expensive the iPhone is.

in any case all you did was take this year's prices, remove the 3GS, and refactor the prices so that the iPhone 4 takes the place of the 3GS, and the iPhone 4S replaces the 4. This is merely copying what happened 16 months ago.
post #79 of 300
Quote:

It is a fact that apple can no longer compete in the smartphone market against such large players now like HTC and Samsung with just hardware and physical features

I guess that explains why the #1 and #2 phones in the world by sales are from HTC and Samsung.

Oh, wait....

Quote:

http://www.google.co.uk/finance?client=ob&q=NASDAQ:AAPL

ROTFLMAO.

Go to that page. Click on the box that says NASDAQ and the one that says GOOG. Apple's drop was about the same as the NASDAQ and Google over the same time period. So much for your theory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonamac View Post

So it has a significantly faster dual-core processor, twice as much RAM, a better camera and is HSPA+ ready. What exactly would make this any more of a 'new' phone? It's an across the board upgrade!

Exactly.

But it doesn't have 4 USB 3.0 ports, serial ports, a parallel port, and 1959 Cadillac style tailfins, so it's of no use.. .
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #80 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

He is wrong anyway, that really is what they sell for here. No US iPhone Carrie gives you a discount for bringing an unlocked phone, so you are not really paying more over time. The price to the consumer is $99.

What they sell for in the US is the off contract price. What carriers decide to do when you come to them with an unlocked phone is up to them ( it reeks of being a cartel) but it totally irrelevent to the rest of the world where Apple hopes to grow in future. In the rest of the world you get cheap off contract plans, per month, with data from $10 in many cases.

If there is only a 4S, and no 5, the 3GS has to be the cheap model. If there is a 5, the 4 can be the cheap model. At the moment there is no cheap model.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple leaks "iPhone 4S" product name in latest iTunes beta