or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple leaks "iPhone 4S" product name in latest iTunes beta
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple leaks "iPhone 4S" product name in latest iTunes beta - Page 3

post #81 of 300
I never expected Apple to drastically redesign the iPhone just one year after a major redesign. It costs too much R&D, and if you upgrade when the redesigns come out, then you have to wait 2 years anyway because of your phone carrier contract. Apple is rewarding those in that cycle, and the people 1 year out of cycle get a speed bump. This year's speed bump will come (hopefully) with huge software updates to make it worthwhile. I always expected a 4S and not a 5.

Those who want to upgrade will, and those who don't will wait until next year.
MBA 13" i7/4GB/256GB

C2D MBP 2.33GHZ/2 Gig/120 Gig/256MB
Reply
MBA 13" i7/4GB/256GB

C2D MBP 2.33GHZ/2 Gig/120 Gig/256MB
Reply
post #82 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post




ROTFLMAO.

Go to that page. Click on the box that says NASDAQ and the one that says GOOG. Apple's drop was about the same as the NASDAQ and Google over the same time period. So much for your theory.



Exactly.

But it doesn't have 4 USB 3.0 ports, serial ports, a parallel port, and 1959 Cadillac style tailfins, so it's of no use.. .


People who roll eyes too much should be perm-banned. Particularly if they are talking crap.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #83 of 300
I think they're going to launch both the 4S and 5. Check out this quote from the Case Mate website:

Will it be iPhone 5 or 4s?

The debate continues on whether the new iPhone will be an iPhone 5 or iPhone 4S. From our inside resources, it appears that Apple will be indeed launching both an iPhone 5 and an iPhone 4S in early October. The speculation indicates that the iPhone 4S will feature the same form factor as the iPhone 4 but will be upgraded with the latest technology, including the A5 dual-core processor and 8 mega-pixel camera.

http://www.case-mate.com/iphone-5-4s-cases/
post #84 of 300
But to justify the claim of crap - putting in google into the model shows them down 2% over 5 days ( not the one day the poster above was talking about) , and Apple is down 5%. Nasdaq is down 2%.

Over the month Apple is back where it started and google is down 2%; however Apple bucked the market - when he rumours of two models of iPhone were announced - mid month September.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #85 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDevil View Post

The Android landscape wasn't nearly as developed in 2009 as it is now, and Windows Mobile had crashed and burned. There is significantly more competition in the smartphone space than there was two years ago. I doubt Apple will be able to use improved software to gloss over the lack of a new design the way they did with the 3GS.



Indeed. I think the most troubling thing about the lack of redesign would be that it makes it look like Apple's R&D has hit a wall. If this were happening in June, I might be able to give them the benefit of the doubt. But they've had almost a year and a half to work on this! How could they possibly only be putting in a faster processor, more RAM, and a better camera after all that time? Keep in mind also that the A5 processor is already almost half way through its life cycle (assuming Apple continues to introduce a new processor on a yearly cycle).



Apple will never lower the pixel density back to pre-retina levels. But we can always hope that they might violate their pixel count rule!

I personally do not hope that. Many developers would agree with me, I believe.
post #86 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guava View Post

I think they're going to launch both the 4S and 5. Check out this quote from the Case Mate website:

Will it be iPhone 5 or 4s?

The debate continues on whether the new iPhone will be an iPhone 5 or iPhone 4S. From our inside resources, it appears that Apple will be indeed launching both an iPhone 5 and an iPhone 4S in early October. The speculation indicates that the iPhone 4S will feature the same form factor as the iPhone 4 but will be upgraded with the latest technology, including the A5 dual-core processor and 8 mega-pixel camera.

http://www.case-mate.com/iphone-5-4s-cases/

If this is true, in Orwellian fashion, the people claiming that only software matters will be proclaiming the brilliance of the new design.

My 2 Euro cent on it is this: There is an iPhone 5. Apple will massively diversify their line in terms of pricing. iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4 and 3GS.

Everybody hostile to the idea now, will love it when it happens. I'll be definitely resurrecting this thread on Tuesday.

( Seriously the Apple can do no wrong posters really give the rest of us a bad name).
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #87 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

And don't discount iOS5. Form factor is not why people buy the iPhone. It's apps, features, and usability.

I agree 100 percent. Right now I am using a Samsung Focus running Mango and it is great. The form factor of the Focus is nice. The phone is light, well constructed (even if it is plastic), and the screen is gorgeous...AND...4 inches is a perfect size for a screen. Some of the new features in Mango put iOS to shame.

BUT...I use a number of apps that are iOS only. My problem is that I hate the iPhone form factor. It is just uncomfortable to hold versus the Focus and my old 3GS. If the only upgrade are internal components I will either buy a nice, used 3GS OR keep using the Samsung Focus and just buy an iPod Touch (or iPad).

My hope is the next iteration of iPhone that I buy will be have a metal back like the 1st gen iPhone versus the glass or plastic seen in the iPhone 4 and 3GS, respectively.
post #88 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Controls stay the same size but can be programmed to keep the same distance from the edge of a screen, or another control etc. None too different to the way resizing works on a window on OS X when resized. Its not a huge challenge.

Not a huge challenge but the result is inconsistent look of apps. You cannot compare this to a Mac because there are no windows on the iPhone. Key to Apple's design ethos is the consistency of the look and feel of the apps. As someone else wrote (sorry, too lazy to look you up), developers would have been forewarned about such a change. Apple will NOT do this. Take it to the bank.

As for lowering the dpi, it is less of a travesty. But, as mentioned, this leaves the iPhone screen inferior to the Samsung. Would Apple allow this? Think, man, think!
post #89 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Common sense, or not, it wont drive "explosive growth". The ratio of people who bought the 3GS two years ago is a small minority of all existing iPhone owners. Apple cant rely on them to drive growth. If there is no compelling reason for a switch from Android without a new form factor, so that wont drive growth, and if Apple dont have a wow factor, they wont get new smart phone users either.

Agreed. Apple needs a compelling phone to bring in new customers. If Apple does not deliver a new phone that more on par with modern smart phones, Apple may likely see their market share slip by mid next year. iPhone's market share has already been stagnant as Android's continues to grow as is.

And, yes, Apple deeply cares about market share despite some people who ignorantly claim otherwise. Android is a threat that Apple needs to take seriously. Much of their profits stem from iOS-based devices, and if consumers end up favoring Android based devices, there goes the profits from the iPhone and iPad sales.
post #90 of 300
Here is another perspective - if Apple is going to release a single model, why wouldn't they just call it iPhone 5? Why would one of the most savvy marketing companies in the world emphasize the lack of new features by calling it 4S?
post #91 of 300
June ain't that far off now.
post #92 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I can see a case for a $49 (under AT&T/Verizon contract) iPhone 4, an iPhone 4S with updated internal components in an iPhone 4 casing, and the tapered iPhone 5 with the larger display.

I agree with this 100%+ except for the iP5's new tapered design. Aside from the wedge design of the Air line of MacBooks, which I feel is both for ease of carrying and additional perceived overall thinness, Apple (Jonathan Ive) is a symmetrical form factor design company (person).

I believe the new model is being kept totally hush-hush in classic Apple style. 2 models are the perfect argument for the delayed refresh. New iP5 with an iPad 2 rounded corner aluminum back and larger screen, plus a bumped processor/camera/antenna for the iP4S.

Just a guess, of course, but makes perfect, logical Apple sense in my mind.

Edit: Plus the fact that it's "game on" with too many other competitors. Apple knows they have to stay far ahead to keep their edge.....or look for the stock to drop at least 8-10% as soon as Tim Cook says "Thanks for coming" without introducing a totally new iPhone device.

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Reply

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Reply
post #93 of 300
If an iPhone 4S is all that Apple releases next week, I'll be a bit disappointed.

When the iPhone 3GS was released in 2009, I stood in line for 3 hours at Crabtree Valley Mall in Raleigh, NC to get mine -- the day before my wedding no less, when I had guests coming in from out of town . But back in 2009, the iPhone really had no competition -- why would I want to go with anything else?

When the iPhone 4 came out, I pre-ordered on day one because while the Android competition had started to gain some steam, Apple was still clearly ahead of the pack in more ways than one.

However, fourteen months later, I wonder. If Apple is going to use the same design with upgraded innards, it seems like a poor decision to make. The competitive landscape is very different now. According to Nielsen, Android smartphones make up 43% of the U.S. smartphone market. Apple is losing market share, now down at 28%.

http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/...acing-android/

Playing it safe isn't in the cards anymore. It's time to start curb-stomping the competition.

And the same tired complaints don't work anymore:

1) Well, Apple sells only needs to sell two types of phones (iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS)
2) Well, Apple makes more profit per phone
3) Well, Android manufacturers dump cheap phones and B1G1 offers on consumers

To tell you the truth, that stuff may matter to investors, but it obviously doesn't matter to consumers, or they wouldn't be buying Android smartphones. Apple obviously sees the threat, hence all the lawsuits.

I guess my point is; I'd like to see Apple take some chances on the hardware side (again). Thinner, lighter, larger screen, with an aluminum unibody makes sense. We've been on a 3.5" screen since day one -- give it up. It's time to move on.

Remember, this isn't just about grabbing onto existing Apple customers; this is also about taking BACK those customers that have jumped ship to Android. Dual-core processor, 512MB of RAM, 8MP camera? Pfff, Android users have been eatin' that s**t up for nearly year. What would make them want to move to an iPhone 4S?

I also think that LTE should be in there as well. Verizon has already substantially built out its LTE network (AT&T's LTE network is still in its infancy, however), it'd be a damn shame if we have to wait another year (or fourteen months) just to have the privilege of having LTE on an iPhone when everyone in their grandma on the Android side has been enjoying it for nearly a year now.

STOP PLAYING IT SAFE, APPLE. KNOCK SOME F**KING TEETH OUT!
post #94 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

STOP PLAYING IT SAFE, APPLE. KNOCK SOME F**KING TEETH OUT!

See, this is EXACTLY what I want to see from Apple. Apple redefined the phone with the original iPhone. Apple set the standard on modern smart phone functionality and usability. I want to see Apple introduce a new phone and say, "hey guys, nice job on ripping off our old stuff, but here is the next big thing."

Anybody who visits tech websites should notice there are constantly raving reviews on the latest Android phones. Apple needs to take note of this and introduce a phone that makes any new Android phone that is introduced in the next year receive a review that says "nice, but it's not quite the iPhone."
post #95 of 300
Just went to Best Buy and I noticed they had a LOT of iPhone 4 cases marked as "Clearance".
post #96 of 300
Ok, So there is an iPhone 4S

and there is likely an iPhone 5



post #97 of 300
Anyone else notice the white iPhone 4s has finally fixed the black light sensor bar above the speaker hole on the top?
I have the iPhone 4 I white and I have an ugly black oval above my speaker
post #98 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

Android phones have already seen larger displays, curved glass, 3D displays, NFC, 4G, 1.5 GHz dual-core processors, 1 GB RAM, 8 MP cameras, etc. Quad-core processors and 16 MP cameras are about to hit Android phones soon.

I'm seriously hoping Apple has an iPhone 5 surprise planned for next week. If the best Apple can deliver in 16 months is an iPhone 4 chassis with some iPad 2 upgrades, there will be some disappointed people and investors. iOS 5 mostly seems to play catchup with Android and Windows Phone, so most of the new software features are a "been there, done that."

to be fair though I like the way iOS 5 handles notifications better than Android. The fact that you can dismiss a single line at a time pretty much is a huge improvement over any android pre 3.0
post #99 of 300
Just wait and see...I'm sure Apple won't disappoint and I'm willing to bet something amazing is going to happen on Tuesday.
post #100 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

Android phones have already seen larger displays, curved glass, 3D displays, NFC, 4G, 1.5 GHz dual-core processors, 1 GB RAM, 8 MP cameras, etc. Quad-core processors and 16 MP cameras are about to hit Android phones soon.

Oh Really? All of those phones have their caveats as well. There are tons of 8MP Android cameras that are vastly inferior to iPhone 4's. Similary, everyone complains that 4G kills off the already poor battery life of those devices. And thanks to "TRUE MULTITASKING" and Flash and other OS inefficiencies, that 1GB of RAM and processor don't result in really meaningful differences considering the iPhone 4 is 15 months old. NFC is sure to be coming but outside Japan it's not BIG, so it's more of a "features for features sake" thing, which also applies to 3D screens (that's a negative feature for me, in fact). I also couldn't care less about curved glass. Bigger screens is the only thing on this list the iPhone could really use, and anything beyond 4" is just too big.

Quote:
I'm seriously hoping Apple has an iPhone 5 surprise planned for next week. If the best Apple can deliver in 16 months is an iPhone 4 chassis with some iPad 2 upgrades, there will be some disappointed people and investors. iOS 5 mostly seems to play catchup with Android and Windows Phone, so most of the new software features are a "been there, done that."

Except they are done right? Oh wait, that doesn't count. Sorry bout that

iPhone 4S 64GB, Black, soon to be sold in favor of a Nokia Lumia 920
Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

Reply

iPhone 4S 64GB, Black, soon to be sold in favor of a Nokia Lumia 920
Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

Reply
post #101 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

However, fourteen months later, I wonder. If Apple is going to use the same design with upgraded innards, it seems like a poor decision to make. The competitive landscape is very different now. According to Nielsen, Android smartphones make up 43% of the U.S. smartphone market. Apple is losing market share, now down at 28%.!

Android growth has stalled. That's some rather old news.

iPhone 4S 64GB, Black, soon to be sold in favor of a Nokia Lumia 920
Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

Reply

iPhone 4S 64GB, Black, soon to be sold in favor of a Nokia Lumia 920
Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

Reply
post #102 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by dna550 View Post

Ok, So there is an iPhone 4S

and there is likely an iPhone 5

[images - very delectable ones! - snipped]

I agree. I am still convinced that the invite hints at "4+1."
post #103 of 300
A whole year and all Apple has is a iPhone 4S? Pretty lame. That is not much better than an iPhone 4 Plus. At the minimum they should have an iPhone 4GS. Or an iPhone 4 Pro. With Steve Jobs gone now, all we will probably see is an iPhone Performa.
post #104 of 300
iPhone 4 is the most popular smartphone ever. Does Apple need to change a winning design?

For those who argue Android competition does not allow Apple to *stand* still, is iOS 5 a sign of standing still? Furthermore, take a good look at the Galaxy S and Galaxy S2. Are they very different in form factor?

A5 processor. 8 MP camera. iOS 5. All inside the most popular smartphone design ever.

That sounds like a winning combination.
post #105 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

Except they are done right? Oh wait, that doesn't count. Sorry bout that

Apple doesn't always "do things right." The notification system in iOS 4 was extremely terrible, Maps is a vastly inferior app compared to Android's offerings, and well, Apple finally embraced resizing a window from any side in Lion a la Microsoft Windows.
post #106 of 300
One thing to consider: One benefit of having this iPhone 4 body is the universe of peripherals that is all ready out there and able to support - a new one will have a lag before manufactures can put out replacements. If you're trying to woo new people, that is not a minor consideration.

Also, a lot of people whined about the 3gs when it came out - and Apple's been selling it for nearly 3 years. In the world of today to have a single model sell for 3 years in incredible. It is a huge value that a body Apple designed nearly 5 years ago (For the original iPhone 3g) is able to be used, and have the ecology of peripherals it can. If it can get the same life out of the iPhone 4 body, that is a huge positive for Apple. It keeps costs down.

That said, I think Apple has both. Going forward, Apple will want more power to push iCloud, so having better chips in the low-end model will help make it a better product. And while I'm not a big believer in huge screens on Mobile devices, it will help sales to have a 4" screen.

One possibility no one's said: iOS 5, today, iCloud, next week, iPhone 4s, available next week, iPhone 5, available, say, Thanksgiving - it would give any extra development/bug fix time they need, and get it out for Christmas season.
post #107 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintstryfe View Post


One possibility no one's said: iOS 5, today, iCloud, next week, iPhone 4s, available next week, iPhone 5, available, say, Thanksgiving - it would give any extra development/bug fix time they need, and get it out for Christmas season.

Not going to happen.

This whole iPhone 5 obsession is funny. Apple has never, ever committed to consistently naming the iPhone based on the generation number of the product. There was no iPhone 2, after all. There may never be an iPhone 5, if they come up with a better name next year - e.g. iPhone LTE.
post #108 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPOM View Post

Hopefully there's also "just one more thing" in the form of an iPhone 5. I'm not sure a basic spec bump after 15+ months will be worthwhile for many. Perhaps there will be an "S" with immediate availability (and a lower price), and an iPhone 5 available a few weeks later.

I think the "one more thing" bit will be retired. That was Steve's shtick. Won't look right coming from anyone else.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #109 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiyifan View Post

You must be kidding me. Wait more than a year just to update cpu and camera?
I hope that's not true. Otherwise, AAPL trading at $381 two days before iPhone 4s introduction means all insiders are so ethical on the stock market.

I would believe this piece of news if AAPL closes below $350 on Monday.

Insider trading is rampant. Always has been. Only the high profile cases make the news.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #110 of 300
Most likely situation: Apple has done a great job of messing with the minds of those who try to predict the future.
post #111 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

Android phones have already seen larger displays, curved glass, 3D displays, NFC, 4G, 1.5 GHz dual-core processors, 1 GB RAM, 8 MP cameras, etc. Quad-core processors and 16 MP cameras are about to hit Android phones soon.

I'm seriously hoping Apple has an iPhone 5 surprise planned for next week. If the best Apple can deliver in 16 months is an iPhone 4 chassis with some iPad 2 upgrades, there will be some disappointed people and investors. iOS 5 mostly seems to play catchup with Android and Windows Phone, so most of the new software features are a "been there, done that."

Apple is the biggest company on Earth now. What do they have to worry about? (snicker)

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #112 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPOM View Post

Hopefully there's also "just one more thing" in the form of an iPhone 5. I'm not sure a basic spec bump after 15+ months will be worthwhile for many. Perhaps there will be an "S" with immediate availability (and a lower price), and an iPhone 5 available a few weeks later.

iPhone5 is the "teardrop" unibody-back, glass-front super duper new iPhone. A5 chip, 512MB RAM, new GPU but not as good as iPad2, better than iPhone4. Same retina display, slightly larger but not quite 4".

iPhone4 becomes the new "iPhone3GS", hence, iPhone4S.

iPhone5 and iPhone4 are unified GSM/CDMA models but not the Chinese CDMA.

Mah Predictions.
post #113 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by macapptraining View Post

Well if just this new iPhone 4S launches, I guess that's cool. Sure did save Apple time on designing a new one. Hopefully all that time saved will have been put towards improving the design flaws of the current iPhone 4. I'm all for recycling the old design and focusing on the flaws, creating a better product. By the time an iPhone 5 comes out, it will probably be completely redesigned and hopefully they would have had enough time to fix any problems with the redesign BEFORE it launches. Unlike what happened with the iPhone 4. Plus, this would be great for accessory manufacturers, not having to come out with a new design. Plus, customers won't have to buy new cases! It's a win-win for everyone.

Maybe we should all reserve our comments until the iPhne4S is announced and ships. Just because the 4S may look the same on the outside doesn't mean the insides don't represent a major improvement / redesign. Any manufacturer would be thrilled to design a a phone as flawed as the iPhone4, the best selling smartphone on the planet.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

 

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete...

Reply

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

 

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete...

Reply
post #114 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I think the "one more thing" bit will be retired. That was Steve's shtick. Won't look right coming from anyone else.

Phil Schiller tried it one keynote. He massacred it.
post #115 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

Maybe we should all reserve our comments until the iPhne4S is announced and ships. Just because the 4S may look the same on the outside doesn't mean the insides don't represent a major improvement / redesign. Any manufacturer would be thrilled to design a a phone as flawed as the iPhone4, the best selling smartphone on the planet.

iPhone4 currently just becomes the iPhone4S. The only difference is they are going to take the iPhone4 CDMA not GSM design and then make that the GSM/CDMA iPhone4S... But still A4 chip, same screen, same size, 512MB RAM, etc.

iPhone5 will still be cool. Definitely more like an iPad 2 but a smartphone instead.
post #116 of 300
I agree. Of all iOS user subsets, AI forum readers should be able to discern the true distinctions between any iPhone model and the "competition." It takes a tremendous amount of money and quality time to conceive, design, engineer, code, test, debug and manufacture a device of the iPhones stature. So why should they not benefit from the efficiencies of longer product life-cycles? I never expected a major redesign this year because it does not make any economical sense.

I look at Apple products as I do entry level German luxury cars: sheer utilitarian beauty. Apple would be like BMW only selling 3 series sedans. These cars crush the competition in a multitude of substantive ways big and small. They cost more to produce and their platforms have longer life cycles. These cars are fast but they are not the fastest and one can't buy the latest, most cutting edge tech in these cars because it doesn't make economical sense. Think night-vision for cars and NFC for phones. Cheap AND early implementation of the latest cool technology requires compromises I am glad Apple is unwilling to make.

So how anyone who claims to appreciate the iPhone4 for what and how it is could seriously consider the latest Android device with a bigger screen or this and that is beyond me. I am reminded of the movie quote, "they don't drink the sand because they think it's water. They drink the sand because the don't know the difference."
post #117 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

If an iPhone 4S is all that Apple releases next week, I'll be a bit disappointed.

When the iPhone 3GS was released in 2009, I stood in line for 3 hours at Crabtree Valley Mall in Raleigh, NC to get mine -- the day before my wedding no less, when I had guests coming in from out of town . But back in 2009, the iPhone really had no competition -- why would I want to go with anything else?

When the iPhone 4 came out, I pre-ordered on day one because while the Android competition had started to gain some steam, Apple was still clearly ahead of the pack in more ways than one.

However, fourteen months later, I wonder. If Apple is going to use the same design with upgraded innards, it seems like a poor decision to make. The competitive landscape is very different now. According to Nielsen, Android smartphones make up 43% of the U.S. smartphone market. Apple is losing market share, now down at 28%.

http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/...acing-android/

Playing it safe isn't in the cards anymore. It's time to start curb-stomping the competition.

And the same tired complaints don't work anymore:

1) Well, Apple sells only needs to sell two types of phones (iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS)
2) Well, Apple makes more profit per phone
3) Well, Android manufacturers dump cheap phones and B1G1 offers on consumers

To tell you the truth, that stuff may matter to investors, but it obviously doesn't matter to consumers, or they wouldn't be buying Android smartphones. Apple obviously sees the threat, hence all the lawsuits.

I guess my point is; I'd like to see Apple take some chances on the hardware side (again). Thinner, lighter, larger screen, with an aluminum unibody makes sense. We've been on a 3.5" screen since day one -- give it up. It's time to move on.

Remember, this isn't just about grabbing onto existing Apple customers; this is also about taking BACK those customers that have jumped ship to Android. Dual-core processor, 512MB of RAM, 8MP camera? Pfff, Android users have been eatin' that s**t up for nearly year. What would make them want to move to an iPhone 4S?

I also think that LTE should be in there as well. Verizon has already substantially built out its LTE network (AT&T's LTE network is still in its infancy, however), it'd be a damn shame if we have to wait another year (or fourteen months) just to have the privilege of having LTE on an iPhone when everyone in their grandma on the Android side has been enjoying it for nearly a year now.

STOP PLAYING IT SAFE, APPLE. KNOCK SOME F**KING TEETH OUT!

Both Verizon's and AT&T's LTE networks are far from being fully deployed and generally available.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

 

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete...

Reply

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

 

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete...

Reply
post #118 of 300
THIS IS INFORMATION INCLUDED BY APPLE AS A.....


Anyway...I REALLY want a new design and larger screen.

Com'on Apple! Don't let me down.
post #119 of 300
Tim Cook: "And now for the big unveil.... last spring's phone."

Seriously, this is the first product unveil post-Steve Jobs. They really need to unveil something that'll blow people's socks off; and slightly tweaking an almost-two year old model isn't going to cut it. The best I can hope for is that the 4S ends up being dirt-cheap, because I'm not paying $400 for last year's phone + a 2-year contract.
post #120 of 300
The iPhone5 is definitely going to be something fresh, the current iPhone4 becoming the iPhone4S.

BTW I like the BMW 5 Series. 3 Series is a little "stunted" in my view. , while the 6 and 7 series are ridiculously massive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoanderson View Post

Tim Cook: "And now for the big unveil.... last spring's phone."

Seriously, this is the first product unveil post-Steve Jobs. They really need to unveil something that'll blow people's socks off; and slightly tweaking an almost-two year old model isn't going to cut it. The best I can hope for is that the 4S ends up being dirt-cheap, because I'm not paying $400 for last year's phone + a 2-year contract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubris1 View Post

I agree. Of all iOS user subsets, AI forum readers should be able to discern the true distinctions between any iPhone model and the "competition." It takes a tremendous amount of money and quality time to conceive, design, engineer, code, test, debug and manufacture a device of the iPhones stature. So why should they not benefit from the efficiencies of longer product life-cycles? I never expected a major redesign this year because it does not make any economical sense.

I look at Apple products as I do entry level German luxury cars: sheer utilitarian beauty. Apple would be like BMW only selling 3 series sedans. These cars crush the competition in a multitude of substantive ways big and small. They cost more to produce and their platforms have longer life cycles. These cars are fast but they are not the fastest and one can't buy the latest, most cutting edge tech in these cars because it doesn't make economical sense. Think night-vision for cars and NFC for phones. Cheap AND early implementation of the latest cool technology requires compromises I am glad Apple is unwilling to make.

So how anyone who claims to appreciate the iPhone4 for what and how it is could seriously consider the latest Android device with a bigger screen or this and that is beyond me. I am reminded of the movie quote, "they don't drink the sand because they think it's water. They drink the sand because the don't know the difference."
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple leaks "iPhone 4S" product name in latest iTunes beta