or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Leaked photos from Foxconn Brazil show new 'N90A' iPhone 4 model

Leaked photos from Foxconn Brazil show new 'N90A' iPhone 4 model

post #1 of 81
Newly released photos, allegedly leaked from a Foxconn factory in Brazil, depict a new iPhone model codenamed "N90A," that is believed to be a cheaper version of the iPhone 4 to will be announced next week.

Gizmodo's local Brazilian site claims it "got one of their men inside" the Apple manufacturer's facility and took photos of an alleged new model in production.

The photos do not appear to show any external differences to the device, but, according to a quality control form from the factory, the new iPhone model being produced there is classified as "N90A." Apple's iPhone 4 was reportedly codenamed "N90," while the CDMA version of the handset was said to have been dubbed the "N92." Recent reports have claimed that Apple has added an "N90A" model to its inventory system.

The form also shows that the devices in question did not pass Apple's stringent quality control.

Speculation has arisen that the "N90A" will be a cheaper version of the iPhone separate from a next-generation smartphone also expected to be announced next week. A brand new device would likely require a new number, rather than the simple addition of an "A." Some have suggested that the pictured device could represent a cheaper 8GB model of the current iPhone 4.

Last week, Apple sent out invitations to a "Let's talk iPhone" press event scheduled for Tuesday, Oct. 4. The event will presumably feature the unveiling of Apple's next generation iPhone.

Alongside a new device, Apple has traditionally continued to sell a cheaper model of the previous generation. In fact, the iPhone 3GS has continued to sell well, with one recent report noting the device as AT&T's second strongest selling handset.

Parts allegedly for the fifth-generation iPhone that were marked by the codename "N94" surfaced this summer.

Conflicting reports have disagreed on whether Apple plans to introduce an "iPhone 5" with a new design or an "iPhone 4S" that would feature the same externals as the iPhone 4 with new and improved internals. But, references to an iPhone 4S have been uncovered in an iTunes beta, providing further evidence supporting assertions that Apple will make minimal changes to the appearance of the device.

On the other hand, silicone sleeves sporting a new design for the "iPhone 5" have reportedly arrived at some AT&T retail stores. Also, leaked photos of AT&T's inventory system show entries for several iPhone 5 cases from Case-Mate.

Foxconn has been working closely with Brazilian officials to set up production facilities for Apple's devices in the country. However, Reuters noted last week that negotiations for a $12 billion investment from the contract manufacturer may have stalled. Brazil's Minister of Science, Technology and Innovation, Aloizio Mercadante had said in September that the first iPads produced at the factory would arrive by December.
post #2 of 81
Well, according the the iTunes beta strings the iPhone 4S is going to be called N94AP

post #3 of 81
Contracts have been stalled, so doesn't that strongly suggest that there is no Apple production in Brazil, meaning that no one could snap a pic of anything Apple in said factory, making the photos bogus.

Then again Giz has to do something since they are banned for life from all things Apple so am I shocked they would make claims about the source of something, nope.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #4 of 81
In other words, nobody knows what Apple is going to release.

Playing the guessing game is ridiculous.
post #5 of 81
So this Brazilian Foxconn factory making cheaper iPhones seems to just be another source of leaks. How can anybody even take a picture inside of the factory and snap pictures of iPhones? Which moron is in charge of security there?

Foxconn needs to think like a druglord. Have everybody fully searched before they enter the factory and make them pass through metal detectors. That way, nobody would be able to even enter with a phone, camera or any other device. And If they really want to be secure, then have everybody who works there strip and work naked, like a bunch of women counting money for a drug cartel. That would keep security tight. Factory workers are not to be trusted.
post #6 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

Playing the guessing game is ridiculous.

Quite the opposite.

What better on a dreary Sunday?
post #7 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

And If they really want to be secure, then have everybody who works there strip and work naked,

If we did this in North America it might solve our obesity and fitness problem.
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #8 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Contracts have been stalled, so doesn't that strongly suggest that there is no Apple production in Brazil, meaning that no one could snap a pic of anything Apple in said factory, making the photos bogus.

No, not quite.

The problem, as presented in recent press reports, is not with contracts, but rather, that Foxconn hasn't agreed to abide by certain federal regulatory requirements.

And that applies to their new iPad factory.

My guess is that the iPhone is being produced in a different factory. Anybody here know how much production Foxconn does in Brazil currently?
post #9 of 81
What kind of rubbish is this? Foxconn are not building anything yet in Brazil. How can they even leak a photo is beyond me!

iMac mid 2011 • 27 in • 3,4 GHz Core i7 • 32 GB RAM • AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB VRAM

iMac mid 2011 • 27 in • 3,4 GHz Core i7 • 32 GB RAM • AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB VRAM

post #10 of 81
Quote:

work naked, like a bunch of women counting money for a drug cartel.

The beautiful naked chicks are the ones cutting the product.

The money gets counted by the ugly middle aged guys in the dark little room.
post #11 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by einsteinbqat View Post

What kind of rubbish is this? Foxconn are not building anything yet in Brazil. How can they even leak a photo is beyond me!

Rumor debunked by foxconn insider einsteinbqat!!
post #12 of 81
Quote:

I wasn't sure, so I looked it up:

"Brazil
All existing and currently planned Foxconn facilities in the South American continent are located in Brazil,[36] including mobile phone factories in Manaus and Indaiatuba as well as production bases in Jundiai, Sorocaba, and Santa Rita do SapucaÃ*.[37] The company is considering more investments in Brazil.[8]"

It looks like Foxconn might build huge amounts of stuff in Brazil.
post #13 of 81
Are they? None are build so far. When you read the references to what the wiki writes about, you realise that they are talking about the 12-billion-dollar plan to build manufacturing factories in Brazil.

In April, Foxconn (Hon Hai) announced their plans to invest 12 billion dollars in Brazil to increase its production capacities. However, the deal is stalling because Foxconn and the government of Brazil can't agree on the terms of the invest. Nothing is signed yet, so nothing can be built or produced. Therefore there is no way that a picture can leak from Brazil.

And in addition to that, the factories in Brazil are meant for the iPad. So the iPhone thing in Brazil doesn't stand ground.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mobiledi...ct-production/

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...78S4O420110929

(Also, my first post was not directed to ConradJoe, but was a reaction to the silliness of the news article.)

post #14 of 81
Quote:

Foxconn needs to think like a druglord. Have everybody fully searched before they enter the factory and make them pass through metal detectors. That way, nobody would be able to even enter with a phone, camera or any other device. And If they really want to be secure, then have everybody who works there strip and work naked, like a bunch of women counting money for a drug cartel. That would keep security tight. Factory workers are not to be trusted.

iPad 3, Galaxy S4
iPad 3, Galaxy S4
post #15 of 81
....Unapproved because of "lentes manchados"?!?...Stained lenses?
post #16 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Nah, Americans have no sense of shame.
post #17 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Newly released photos, allegedly leaked from a Foxconn factory in Brazil, depict a new iPhone model codenamed "N90A," that is believed to be a cheaper version of the iPhone 4 to will be announced next week. ...

This is just more reason to hate the childish assholes that work at Gizmodo and everything they claim to stand for (selfishness, hatred, stupidity, irresponsibility, etc.)
post #18 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

This is just more reason to hate the childish assholes that work at Gizmodo and everything they claim to stand for (selfishness, hatred, stupidity, irresponsibility, etc.)

@Wow!~ What a bizarre thing to claim!@

Why did they do that?
post #19 of 81
Quote:

Are they? None are build so far. When you read the references to what the wiki writes about, you realise that they are talking about the 12-billion-dollar plan to build manufacturing factories in Brazil.

In April, Foxconn (Hon Hai) announced their plans to invest 12 billion dollars in Brazil to increase its production capacities. However, the deal is stalling because Foxconn and the government of Brazil can't agree on the terms of the invest. Nothing is signed yet, so nothing can be built or produced. Therefore there is no way that a picture can leak from Brazil.

And in addition to that, the factories in Brazil are meant for the iPad. So the iPhone thing in Brazil doesn't stand ground.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mobiledi...ct-production/

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...78S4O420110929

(Also, my first post was not directed to ConradJoe, but was a reaction to the silliness of the news article.)

Sounds like they have factories that produce phones currently to me.

"All existing....including mobile phone factories in Manaus and Indaiatuba as well as production bases in Jundiai, Sorocaba, and Santa Rita do SapucaÃ*."-wiki
post #20 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

@Wow!~ What a bizarre thing to claim!@

Why did they do that?

Off his meds I think
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #21 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Nah, Americans have no sense of shame.

Nothing like a good broad brush stroke eh?
post #22 of 81
Quote:

If they really want to be secure, then have everybody who works there strip and work naked, like a bunch of women counting money for a drug cartel. That would keep security tight. Factory workers are not to be trusted.

Apple ][ what kind of person are you? You manage to say something idiotic in every post securing your status of jackass. You've really upped your game this time so congratulations.

I doubt you are in charge of anything or managing people. A lot of those factory workers already live in bad conditions but you would have them work naked and exposed to industrial hazards. I would feel bad for anyone that has to work or be around you. Flame away.
post #23 of 81
I am gonna say it for the third time : DAMN YOU APPLE IF YOU RELEASE SOME UPGRADED iPhone 4 POOP!
post #24 of 81
Don't these look identical to the current ones? I mean, what's so special about something that's been on the market for 16+ months
post #25 of 81
I think there will be some seriously confused people if Apple offers new low-end phones, new high-end iPhone 4S and the existing mid-entry iPhone 4 which all look physically identical to each other.

Nothing like having the choice of purchasing a Toyota Corolla or a Lexus IS 350 on the car lot that look indistinguishable from each other.
post #26 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Yuk! Naked fat yanks on sight...

Back to the topic, err nothing to add apart from I am convinced there will be two models but not necessarily on sale at the same time. Perhaps, iPhone 5 this Tue and iPhone 4S just before thanksgiving or the other way around. No?
post #27 of 81
My guess is the improved iPhone 4 ready now and the iPhone 5 on some near date before december. Probably rolled out to countries over time like for the iPad 2
post #28 of 81
If they are redesigning a special low-end iPhone 4, wouldn't they change the antenna?
The rumour says it looks identical.

Also...
If something like this is true (a new low-end version of the iPhone 4),
AND the old Verizon iPhone CDMA is GSM/UMTS compatible (without SIM card)
AND the new iPhone will add Verizon compatibility to the regular UMTS version...

... then wouldn't a re-make of the iPhone 4A be UMTS+Verizon compatible too?

Lastly - if they want a low-end iPhone 4, using a regular-resolution screen would make more sense than a retina display.

Still, all things considered, I see nothing wrong with making a new low-end version of the iPhone 4 instead of the 'typical' continuation of the older iPhone model.
post #29 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBRSTREETG View Post

Apple ][ what kind of person are you? You manage to say something idiotic in every post securing your status of jackass. You've really upped your game this time so congratulations.

I doubt you are in charge of anything or managing people. A lot of those factory workers already live in bad conditions but you would have them work naked and exposed to industrial hazards. I would feel bad for anyone that has to work or be around you. Flame away.

This is an Apple forum. My main concern is Apple, not third world factory workers who may already live in bad conditions. Frankly, that is their problem, and they are proving themselves to be unreliable and untrustworthy, hence the need for tighter security measures.

And I'm going to play a good samaritan for a few seconds and I would like to alert you to a revolutionary new feature found on these forums called the ignore list. If my insights and opinions about Apple offends certain people, then I would suggest that these people put me on ignore.

I don't have anybody on ignore, but I wish that there was a reverse-ignore list on these forums. I feel that there a few people who are unworthy of reading my insightful comments and if it were up to me, I would block certain people from ever reading any of my posts.
post #30 of 81
What better on a dreary Sunday? [/QUOTE]

Must be a Florida fan.
post #31 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by alienzed View Post

My guess is the improved iPhone 4 ready now and the iPhone 5 on some near date before december. Probably rolled out to countries over time like for the iPad 2

Apple is not going to announce a new iPhone model on Tuesday that won't be available for 1-2 months. For a totally new product like the original iPhone or original iPad they will advance announce by a few months, but not for an iteration of an existing product.
post #32 of 81
To be honest, while there's an understandable amount of hype regarding the iPhone 4S/5, I'll be happy to finally get to use iOS 5 on both the iPhone and iPad. I'm interested in what additional features will be unveiled - voice assistance, Facebook integration or whatever else.

I don't really see much more they can do hardware wise other than a bigger screen. All the cameras, etc. are included and NFC is a way off. Of course spec improvements are more or less a given. I like the iPhone 4 design so hoping they improve it rather than revamp it. Seeing as I find the side buttons a bit annoying to get to on the iPad 2.
post #33 of 81
All the evidence I've seen points to 2 new iPhones, the N90A and the N94. The form factor will remain the same. They will be both CDMA and GSM compatible world phones. AT&T has gotten new "iPhone 5" cases, because the form factor will change to the Verizon iPhone. The slimmer, wider cases out of China may be for an updated iPod Touch.
post #34 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

Lastly - if they want a low-end iPhone 4, using a regular-resolution screen would make more sense than a retina display.

I disagree. I think they'd use the high-res TN panel used in the iPod Touch if they were going to cut costs on the low-end phone's display.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #35 of 81
Quote:

So this Brazilian Foxconn factory making cheaper iPhones seems to just be another source of leaks. How can anybody even take a picture inside of the factory and snap pictures of iPhones? Which moron is in charge of security there?

I REALLY hope you're joking. [insult removed]. It's a factory that makes phones. You want them to have a mentality of a drug cartel? Now i've heard it all.
post #36 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by openminded View Post

I REALLY hope you're joking. It's a factory that makes phones. You want them to have a mentality of a drug cartel? Now i've heard it all.

Welcome!

See that sentence I've removed from your quote? You'll want to do the same to your post proper. Thanks!

Quote:
…2 new iPhones… The form factor will remain the same. …AT&T has gotten new "iPhone 5" cases because the form factor will change…

Why does that make any sense in any way under any preconceptions? Not just the logical fallacy at the end, oh, no, the two brand new devices with identical form factors that have changed.

“The only thing more insecure than Android is its userbase.” – Can’t Remember

“The only thing more insecure than Android is its userbase.” – Can’t Remember

post #37 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBRSTREETG View Post

He is a right-winger. Was a great post. Probably a teabagger.
OSX, because making UNIX user friendly is easier than debugging windows.
OSX, because making UNIX user friendly is easier than debugging windows.
post #38 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Apple is not going to announce a new iPhone model on Tuesday that won't be available for 1-2 months. For a totally new product like the original iPhone or original iPad they will advance announce by a few months, but not for an iteration of an existing product.

The first iPhone was announced January 9th and was available June 29th (nearly 5 months).
The second iPhone was announced June 9th, available July 11 (1 month).
The third iPhone was announced June 9th, available June 19 ( < 2 weeks ).
The fourth iPhone was announced June 7th, available Jun 24 ( ~ 2 weeks ).

The OP hypothesized 1 - 2 months. I don't think that's totally unreasonable if they are having trouble with the design, which they might be; certainly 1 month would not be surprising.

We'll see on Tuesday!

EDIT: I also want to say that I don't find the waffling on whether there will be a new design or not at all surprising. Apple may have a new touch in the pipeline, and / or they may have tested multiple designs. After having seen some of the renderings for supposed designs, I could easily see Apple stepping back and deciding they need to punt; many of them were just awful. The teardrop stuff had me telling my wife that this may be the first time that I don't actually want a new iPhone. The industrial design of the iP4 is going to be very difficult to beat.
post #39 of 81
Roll on Tuesday!
post #40 of 81
Why all Apple's other products come in different flavors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

I think there will be some seriously confused people if Apple offers new low-end phones, new high-end iPhone 4S and the existing mid-entry iPhone 4 which all look physically identical to each other.

Nothing like having the choice of purchasing a Toyota Corolla or a Lexus IS 350 on the car lot that look indistinguishable from each other.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Leaked photos from Foxconn Brazil show new 'N90A' iPhone 4 model