or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Steve Jobs 'expected' to appear at Apple's iPhone 5 event - report

Steve Jobs 'expected' to appear at Apple's iPhone 5 event - report

post #1 of 93
Despite the fact that he is no longer CEO of Apple, Steve Jobs is "expected" to appear at Tuesday's iPhone event alongside current Chief Executive Tim Cook, a new report claims.

The information stems from a Reuters story filed on Monday, which suggested Jobs will appear at this week's iPhone event. However, the report also cautioned that "a no-show by the Apple co-founder will not be a major disappointment."

Author Poornima Gupta did not indicate whether the expectations of an appearance by Jobs come from inside information obtained through sources, or if rumors of an appearance by Jobs are simply speculation on the part of Wall Street analysts quoted in the story.

Facing continued health issues, Jobs resigned as CEO of Apple in August, though he remains an employee as chairman of the company's board of directors. Jobs typically introduces Apple's newest products to the public, including a surprising return to the stage in March, where he unveiled the iPad 2 despite being in the midst of a medical leave of absence.

For this week's event, reports have indicated that Cook, the current CEO, will preside over the keynote and introduce Apple's fifth-generation iPhone. The only iPhone that wasn't introduced by Jobs was the iPhone 3GS in 2009. That keynote was led by Phil Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing.

Cook, Jobs & Schiller in 2009 | Source: Getty Images.

In fact, prior to the report from Reuters on Monday, rumors had suggested Jobs would not appear at the iPhone media event. John Paczkowski of All Things D said weeks ago that Cook is "certain to preside over" the unveiling and all future Apple media events, inheriting that responsibility from his predecessor.

The latest Reuters story also reiterated its report from August, in which the publication cited sources who said Apple's next iPhone will have a bigger touchscreen but will look largely the same as the current-generation iPhone 4. The publication also claimed that the iPhone 5 will have a better antenna, faster processor and an 8-megapixel camera.
post #2 of 93
Oh, good. A thirtieth thing with which Apple will "disappoint" us when it doesn't actually happen.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

post #3 of 93
First!

EDIT: Damit! God damn geostationary towers

post #4 of 93
If there was ever a secret that was easy to keep it would be the status of Steve Jobs' attendance tomorrow. Any outsider "knowledge" of this is just a guess.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

post #5 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by success View Post

First!

EDIT: Damit! God damn geostationary towers

You can't even imagine the data rates we get up here.

post #6 of 93
I just assumed Steve Jobs would make a brief appearance... A final appearance to publicly thank everyone and pass the torch to Tim.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
post #7 of 93
Steve's not completely uninvolved with the company. He's still part of the board, and I would not be a bit surprised if he makes a brief appearance. My prediction is he'll make an appearance of some sort on these big events as long as his health permits.
post #8 of 93
Sheesh. I find myself real hype about this event.

Wanna see how Cook fares.
post #9 of 93
Er, as to the phone, I would like to see a larger screen that goes edge to edge. I also like this design. I don't know how much thinner Apple can make it and still squeeze in the same size battery.
post #10 of 93
Pretty obvious: Jobs will receive a FaceTime call over 3G at the building site for the new HQ. And he'll be wearing a hard hat.
post #11 of 93
The baton has been passed. Any appearance by Mr. Jobs would undermine the very idea of him stepping down and passing the helm to Mr. Cook. This will not happen folks.
post #12 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

I just assumed Steve Jobs would make a brief appearance... A final appearance to publicly thank everyone and pass the torch to Tim.

Agreed, a public hand over would be nice and quite plausible I'd have thought.
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
post #13 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Pretty obvious: Jobs will receive a FaceTime call over 3G at the building site for the new HQ. And he'll be wearing a hard hat.

Yes, I think this would be the best way for SJ to make a cameo appearance. Tim Cook needs to show that he can be the front-man in these types of events. Besides, I wouldn't want to see SJ if he's looking even thinner than the last time we saw him.
post #14 of 93
What? Did everyone think Steve would just ride off into the sunset without another appearance? Not likely...Apple is still his baby.
post #15 of 93
Apple Insider:

Outcome A is a possibility.

But if not A then B, and that's ok too.
post #16 of 93
Please don't do this and ruin Tim Cooks event.
A brief FaceTime only- if anything. Like Dick Clark on New Years eve.
Otherwise the press will be watching his every move for his fanboys.
post #17 of 93
It will be good to roll out the old guy for his last hurrah!
post #18 of 93
I don't think it would undermine Cook at all. Jobs became more than just a CEO. He became an icon. One of the true innovators in tech. His vision was impeccable. Him appearing to introduce something or to give a final speech or even in the audience smiling would be a great sight. I'm not expecting it but it would be nice.
post #19 of 93
I would like to see Steve Jobs appear to introduce a brand new product. A "One More Thing" intro. Something the public is not expecting.
post #20 of 93
I just don't think it's appropriate for Steve to appear on stage. All of this slobbering over him is completely misplaced and inappropriate...it would be so ridiculously condescending and undermining to have Steve introduce the CEO, or any similar fanfare. This is a business, not a love affair, not a movie.

Steve resigned. Tim is in charge. Tim should take the stage and OWN it tomorrow, if he ever has a chance at impressing investors and customers.
post #21 of 93
I think Steve will welcome everyone to the event, go through the usual boring stuff (Sales etc), introduce iPhone 5, then hand it over to Cook.

This will
A) Prove that Steve is alive and well and;
B) show that Steve has faith in Cook.
post #22 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

if he ever has a chance at impressing investors

So the past year he has worked as C.E.O. and past yearS he has finagled extraordinary deals just don't mean squat, apparently.

post #23 of 93
On a network newscast, the anchor gives the headlines, then introduces a reporter with the actual story. Thats how it will be here. Jobs will come on stage first, say there is a new iPhone 5 and the other products, say what they will do, then instead of actually whipping out the product, will give it over to Cook et al to do the reveal. So. Less than before, but still the MC. That could be a decent keynote transition plan.
post #24 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So the past year he has worked as C.E.O. and past yearS he has finagled extraordinary deals just don't mean squat, apparently.

No apparently it doesn't, considering all people care about is seeing a mythical figurehead, rather than the person who is responsible for the last few years success.
post #25 of 93
Quote:

I just don't think it's appropriate for Steve to appear on stage. All of this slobbering over him is completely misplaced and inappropriate...it would be so ridiculously condescending and undermining to have Steve introduce the CEO, or any similar fanfare. This is a business, not a love affair, not a movie.

Steve resigned. Tim is in charge. Tim should take the stage and OWN it tomorrow, if he ever has a chance at impressing investors and customers.

Spot on. I agree 100%.
post #26 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

If there was ever a secret that was easy to keep it would be the status of Steve Jobs' attendance tomorrow. Any outsider "knowledge" of this is just a guess.

Yep I agree 100%. This is just another waste of time story by a writer probably under pressure to drive traffic in the build up to the Apple event.

Saying something could happen, while also stating it would be no surprise or concern if it doesn't, what a tremendous fluff piece.
post #27 of 93
Quote:

No apparently it doesn't, considering all people care about is seeing a mythical figurehead, rather than the person who is responsible for the last few years success.

\

Anyway,

*Steve walks on, pretty darn gaunt, frail, and otherwise not good*

*standing ovation, thunderous applause*

*Steve slowly and silently bows and walks off*

*Cue Tim Cook*

post #28 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGJ View Post

I think Steve will welcome everyone to the event, go through the usual boring stuff (Sales etc), introduce iPhone 5, then hand it over to Cook.

This will

Agree, but I think it would be cool if Tim did the boring stuff, and then let Steve introduce the iPhone 5. Would be a good moving on type of moment.
post #29 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

It will be good to roll out the old guy for his last hurrah!

468 posts in one month. It would be good for you to roll yourself into a new job that doesn't involve self-humiliation.
post #30 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

Agree, but I think it would be cool if Tim did the boring stuff, and then let Steve introduce the iPhone 5. Would be a good moving on type of moment.

How would that be "moving on" at all? That's exactly like every keynote ever.

post #31 of 93
I hope the rumor is true! He is Apple's chairman and co-founder, after all. Entirely appropriate.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #32 of 93
I hope he shows up and sits in the front row, if he is not too busy strengthening Yahoo via ABC/Disney.
post #33 of 93
Of course Steve's gonna be there.

To those troglodytes who belived that atrocity of a fake image -- you know the one -- that circulated
the day after he stepped down, he is nowhere near that condition, and like he said the last time the talk
of him leaving us was at at this much of a feverpitch: '"The statements concerning my health are greatly exaggerated."

This has NOTHING to do with Tim's being "overshadowed" or making awkward his first public apperance as CEO.
Steve is, after all, literally Apple.
What it does have to do with is letting the fans have thier last "Good-Bye".
I wouldn't be surprised if Wozzie jumped on stage for a quick bow with Steve.
There will be an ovation that will not end & more than a few tears in the crowd.
And I, for one, am not ashamed to say thst one of the people supplying them will be me.

WE LOVE YOU, STEVE!
"Technology Alone Is Not Enough -- Married With The Liberal Arts & The Humanities,
It Yields Us The Results That Make Our Hearts Sing." - Steven P. Jobs
"Technology Alone Is Not Enough -- Married With The Liberal Arts & The Humanities,
It Yields Us The Results That Make Our Hearts Sing." - Steven P. Jobs
post #34 of 93
Quote:

He's the Chairman of the Board. In the US system of governance, the CEO reports to the Board. So, he's actually Cook's boss. Period.

It would be perfectly apropos of him to make an appearance simply as CoB, given his stature. And, I don't think he really needs a lot of condescending advice from anyone--least of all, us--on on how to behave in a manner consistent with putting the best foot froward for Apple.
post #35 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by iKol View Post

Please don't do this and ruin Tim Cooks event.
A brief FaceTime only- if anything. Like Dick Clark on New Years eve.
Otherwise the press will be watching his every move for his fanboys.

Steve is Chairman, and co-founder. And an extremely skilled salesman, pop culture icon (he's been parodied on The Simpsons, South Park and SNL) with a strong vision for the future. How in the hell could adding a Steve Jobs to your event RUIN ANYTHING???

It's not "just for fanboys." Steve Jobs is a household name, his stage presence is legendary.

Aww...did your Droid crash while you were typing that post?

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #36 of 93
Quote:

This will

Steve's faith in Tim Cook was "proven" when he specifically recommended the Board choose Tim to succeed him in his letter when he stepped down, so this has already been done and checked off the list.

With regard to Steve's health, Apple has never been interested in proving anything. Steve took leaves of absence when he wanted, he disclosed what he wanted to about his health (which was very little), he announced the products he wanted even when on medical leave, and he stepped down as CEO when he wanted. There is no longer any need for Apple to prove anything about Steve's health. We all know his health is not good, which is why he left in the first place.

Steve may or may not show up to the event, but if he does, it won't be for either of the two reasons you mention. And Tim will definitely be running the show. A Facetime cameo would be fitting.
post #37 of 93
Quote:

This will

SJ showed his faith in Tim Cook when he recommended to the board that Tim become CEO. SJ coming out and going through the "boring stuff" will not exactly convey a message of "I trust him to run the company". I think, as PMZ stated, that Cook needs to go out there tomorrow and own it.
post #38 of 93
putting business and hype aside...

I hope and pray that Steve Jobs is able to still enjoy life. He is an inspiration to me both intellectually and spiritually. I would love to see him on stage doing what he loves to do as long as possible.
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
post #39 of 93
Phil Schiller should do all of the events since he is the head of marketing. That is what marketing people do. They present things to the public. He could have the various heads of departments talk about their areas when necessary. Marketing is about promotion. He is probably the head of how the web site looks and in charge of all of the advertising too.
post #40 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

He might. Then again, he might not since the torch was passed when he sent that letter of resignation. He might actually stay away to reaffirm the notion that it isn't his ship anymore. It is Tim Cook's. Not showing up would actually also reaffirm the notion that Apple and Steve Jobs aren't the same thing.

That said, I'm not shocked that some analyst expects Jobs to be there. they will expect him to be there until hell freezes over. They just can't detach him and Apple, which was most of the trouble back in 2007 when they pushed the doom and gloom and the stock price down to something like $50 a share with their talk that Apple would be over if Jobs left, as if everyone else there were idiot robots that had no brains of their own and were commanded by Jobs Borg style

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

I don't think it would undermine Cook at all. Jobs became more than just a CEO. He became an icon.

Yep. He became synonymous with Apple. Which is why it is best that he stay away. Steve Jobs walking out on that stage, appearing in a FaceTime or whatever for even half a second pulls too much attention on Steve Jobs. If he's not tanned and weighing 200 LBS of strapping muscle then it will be all over the place with out he's frail and gaunt and on his deathbed. So what that there's another CEO, too many folks still think that Steve is the brain and everyone else a puppet just like in 2007.

After that disaster Steve made a deliberate move to get other folks on the stage. I think that is also a lesson he would have pushed on Tim. Don't ever be the only face they see. Come out, do the financial recap and then play MC to the other boys and girls getting their 15 minutes of fame. That way you never become THE person in the eyes of the media and Apple never suffers a value drop because you were out for a couple of weeks with the flu or whatever. And I can't see him undermining that lesson by coming out on the stage, upstaging Cook and continuing his rock and roll esque icon position as Mr Apple.

I think if there is any Steve Jobs on that stage it will be via Tim Cook saying something. Tim might ask him to come up on the stage for a moment if he happens to be there but that will be Tim doing it on his own, not part of the agenda. And if Steve says good luck, he'll be playing golf, no one will try to talk him into being there.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Steve Jobs 'expected' to appear at Apple's iPhone 5 event - report