or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple updates iPod nano with improved interface, expanded fitness features
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple updates iPod nano with improved interface, expanded fitness features

post #1 of 43
Thread Starter 
Apple's iPod nano now features an even easier to navigate user interface with larger icons, as well as an improved fitness experience that can track runs without any extra sensors.

Phil Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing, said the new iPod nano models are available immediately, referring to the nano model as "really fun way to enjoy music wherever you are."

The new refreshed iPod nano retains the same square form factor with multitouch screen and integrated pedometer and FM radio, but is now easier to navigate, with full screen app icons that are swiped between.

The new model has an "improved fitness experience," with no need for an external Nike+ sensor to track runs or walks.

Third parties have introduced watch bands to hold the iPod nano, and Schiller remarked that Apple "though that was really fun," so it has added a total of 16 new clock faces available for users who wear the device on their wrist as a watch.



"Why not, right?" Schiller asked. The electronic watch faces include classic and sporty designs, even a faux LED segment face and a Mickey Mouse watch face, a design that garnered specific applause during the announcement.





The new iPod nano is available in 7 colors, with a 8GB version for $129, or 16GB model for $149, a price drop from the original $149 and $179.
post #2 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's new iPod nano features an even easier to navigate user interface with larger icons, as well as an improved fitness experience that can track runs without any extra sensors.

The refreshed iPod nano also has a total of 16 new clock faces available for users who wear the device on their wrist as a watch.....

All of this sounds like software. Do you really need to buy a new nano to get these features? Is there a reason why a software update to the previous nano couldn't give you all of this?
post #3 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

All of this sounds like software. Do you really need to buy a new nano to get these features? Is there a reason why a software update to the previous nano couldn't give you all of this?

Apple has a strong history of releasing a new iPod that's basically just a software update but requiring users to re-buy to get the latest features. Big bummer. I know.

I have a nano and would love to get the new watch faces, but I'm not going to buy a whole new device just for that.
post #4 of 43
I wish it had GPS and Nike+GPS app built in, but I do like it enough that I'll likely get it.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #5 of 43
Having to swipe through a bunch of icons to find what I'm looking for is NOT an improved interface. Proof that Apple has completely lost interest in the iPod.
post #6 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

Having to swipe through a bunch of icons to find what I'm looking for is NOT an improved interface. Proof that Apple has completely lost interest in the iPod.

I couldn't tell from the feeds, but did they change to the large icons only? In other words, it's not just an option?
post #7 of 43
16 clock faces?? No Bluetooth 4 to talk to the iPhone 4s and get alerts and weather etc..

Common apple, your really not doing much with the nano. Do you really want to sell these things?
post #8 of 43
Meh.

Sort of entertaining to sit here and watch AAPL stock drop while this event is going on. Investors not pleased. And nothing here for me. Don't need a 4s, the nano not really an upgrade, iMessage won't work on my Mac, no appleTV additions. I miss Steve.
post #9 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

All of this sounds like software. Do you really need to buy a new nano to get these features? Is there a reason why a software update to the previous nano couldn't give you all of this?

That's my question. Will they give this to 6th gen nano owners as a software update or no?
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
post #10 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

Having to swipe through a bunch of icons to find what I'm looking for is NOT an improved interface. Proof that Apple has completely lost interest in the iPod.

+1

iPod sales have stagnated/dropped in part because Apple has lost interest in doing anything with the product line. The nano is one of the worst iPod's Apple has ever created. This is "lipstick on a pig". I'd love to see a graph of nano sales over the years, and I'd bet you'd see it huge drop coinciding with the release of the "wristwatch" nano. These's new "features" aren't going to change that.
post #11 of 43
It's unfortunate that the Nano didn't hit the $99. sweet spot. This is just a rest-on-your-laurels update.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #12 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

iPod sales have stagnated/dropped in part because Apple has lost interest in doing anything with the product line.

Or because people already have one.

Quote:
The nano is one of the worst iPod's Apple has ever created.

Subjective as all get out.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #13 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

+1

iPod sales have stagnated/dropped in part because Apple has lost interest in doing anything with the product line. The nano is one of the worst iPod's Apple has ever created. This is "lipstick on a pig". I'd love to see a graph of nano sales over the years, and I'd bet you'd see it huge drop coinciding with the release of the "wristwatch" nano. These's new "features" aren't going to change that.

I really dig the nano. It's tiny yet jammed with features that I use daily. The new one icon at a time interface doesn't work for me, but it's just an option. You can view the regular four icons at once as well if you choose. As far as I can tell though, there is still no option to leave the screen on at all times which is helpful when using it as a watch or wearable art.

I doubt my nano from last year will get this cool software update, but that's how Apple has been doing iPod updates for a long time now.
post #14 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

+1

iPod sales have stagnated/dropped in part because Apple has lost interest in doing anything with the product line. The nano is one of the worst iPod's Apple has ever created. This is "lipstick on a pig". I'd love to see a graph of nano sales over the years, and I'd bet you'd see it huge drop coinciding with the release of the "wristwatch" nano. These's new "features" aren't going to change that.

iPod sales have dropped because no one has any use for the iPod. There is a small market (i.e. the fitness market) that has use for something outside the iPod Touch, and that is it.

If it was only Apple doing poorly, then why isn't anyone else being able to step in and fill the gap? Why is even MS killing their dedicated music player?
post #15 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

It's unfortunate that the Nano didn't hit the $99. sweet spot. This is just a rest-on-your-laurels update.

Actually, I think Apple has realized (and I am sure their sales figures show this) that there is a very small market for a dedicated music player outside the iPod Touch, and that market is probably almost completely made of the fitness market, hence the focus on fitness features.
post #16 of 43
I like that the Mickey Mouse watch face is live on the nano product page. It'd be nice if Apple would release an SDK for the nano so developers could create their own watch faces or other goodies that would fit - like alarms.

Certainly the jump from $129 to $199 for a touch is not enough to keep people from buying a touch rather than a nano. But there must be a big enough audience that likes the small form-factor.

- Jasen.
post #17 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

I couldn't tell from the feeds, but did they change to the large icons only? In other words, it's not just an option?

On the nano product page it says you can choose 1 or 4 icons to a page.
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
post #18 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

Having to swipe through a bunch of icons to find what I'm looking for is NOT an improved interface. Proof that Apple has completely lost interest in the iPod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

+1
iPod sales have stagnated/dropped in part because Apple has lost interest in doing anything with the product line. The nano is one of the worst iPod's Apple has ever created. This is "lipstick on a pig". I'd love to see a graph of nano sales over the years, and I'd bet you'd see it huge drop coinciding with the release of the "wristwatch" nano. These's new "features" aren't going to change that.

Agreed... I never liked the new Nano. From the Nano design page, "View icons one at a time, or display four icons on each screen. And you can change the order of the icons to find your stuff fast." It does seem iPod sales in general must be way down, notice they bragged about numbers for everything except iPod which was the shortest part of the event. Outside of the touch it seems they lost iPod interest will put less resources in to them over time, but adding a few updates to keep some level of interest and maybe make em low production/cost grab bag items
post #19 of 43
The "fitness features" is pretty minimal. So it has an accelerometer, and is somehow using that to track the distance of a run? I really wonder just how accurate that might be? No HR, no GPS, nothing other than running or walking?

The nano could be so much more. At least for now it appears AAPL is mostly ignoring it. Put BT on it? A rudimentary camera as a full-up iOS device? Even drop ANT+ sport onto it so as to make it a expandable fitness device by third party developers? I do understand that the battery and processor power would be a significant engineering hurdle. No one at AAPL is apparently interested.
post #20 of 43
Actually Apple has just pushed an update for existing iPod Nano. Check for update in iTunes.
post #21 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

It does seem iPod sales in general must be way down, notice they bragged about numbers for everything except iPod which was the shortest part of the event. Outside of the touch it seems they lost iPod interest will put less resources in to them over time, but adding a few updates to keep some level of interest and maybe make em low production/cost grab bag items

Cook said they sold 45 million iPods from July 2010 to June 2011. That's not a small number, though of course it's down from a few years ago.
post #22 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by bahiatronic View Post

Actually Apple has just pushed an update for existing iPod Nano. Check for update in iTunes.

Bahiatronic is right; Update 1.2 for the 6th gen iPod Nano is now available from iTunes. Downloading it as we speak. According to the release notes it contains all of the new features mentioned in the keynote.
post #23 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo View Post

Bahiatronic is right; Update 1.2 for the 6th gen iPod Nano is now available from iTunes. Downloading it as we speak. According to the release notes it contains all of the new features mentioned in the keynote.

Wow, Apple. You've done something wonderful.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #24 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by elroth View Post

Cook said they sold 45 million iPods from July 2010 to June 2011. That's not a small number, though of course it's down from a few years ago.

Oh okay... I was only going by the event photos on Engadget. Good to know they're still selling even if less.
post #25 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

The "fitness features" is pretty minimal. So it has an accelerometer, and is somehow using that to track the distance of a run? I really wonder just how accurate that might be? No HR, no GPS, nothing other than running or walking?

The nano could be so much more. At least for now it appears AAPL is mostly ignoring it. Put BT on it? A rudimentary camera as a full-up iOS device? Even drop ANT+ sport onto it so as to make it a expandable fitness device by third party developers? I do understand that the battery and processor power would be a significant engineering hurdle. No one at AAPL is apparently interested.

Why should they be? All those things you listed add complexity and cost. If Apple is selling enough with the current features to be profitable, then they're happy. How many more nanos would they sell with ANT+? How much would GPS cost and how much would it shorten battery life?

If all those things were good selling points, some other manufacturer like Samsung or Garmin could do it. No one is competing with Apple in the same product space so why should they add to the manufacturing cost?
post #26 of 43
Very nice of Apple to give us this update. Just updated my Nano and I really like the new watch faces, might just buy a wrist watch for it now
post #27 of 43
Is there a calculator watch face?
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #28 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

Apple has a strong history of releasing a new iPod that's basically just a software update but requiring users to re-buy to get the latest features. Big bummer. I know.

I have a nano and would love to get the new watch faces, but I'm not going to buy a whole new device just for that.

No problem. You are mistaken. It is not true Apple sells hardware for software only updates. They always give you feature updates for free if they can on old hardware.

Just plug your 2010 Nano into your iTunes, run software Updater 1.2 and your old Nano is like new with all the new software features.

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

Reply

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

Reply
post #29 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Is there a calculator watch face?

No. But stopwatch and countdown timer are in there now.

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

Reply

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

Reply
post #30 of 43
I've got a LunaTik and I'm very pleased with this update. However, I'd love to see the return of the 5th Generation video, organizer and games features.
post #31 of 43
Still has that annoying clip & still no bluetooth/wireless headphones. Who wants a watch with headphone wires sticking out? I'm seriously pissed at this years iPod update or lack off.
post #32 of 43
post #33 of 43
If it's in the same form factor as the current version, these are the improvements I want:

1. Bluetooth
2. Built-in speaker like the Gen 5
3. Alarm clock
4. Calendar
5. SDK and third-party apps
6. Video playback like the Gen 5
7. Retina display

Just off the top of my head.
post #34 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

If it's in the same form factor as the current version, these are the improvements I want:

1. Bluetooth
2. Built-in speaker like the Gen 5
3. Alarm clock
4. Calendar
5. SDK and third-party apps
6. Video playback like the Gen 5
7. Retina display

Just off the top of my head.

Really? You do realize that it's a one inch screen right? This is a tiny (bordering on too small) device that's dedicated to basically do one thing--music. Watching a movie on a one inch screen? Trying to view a calendar? Your post implies you don't have one. All those features are for the iPhone/iPod Touch. I'm glad Apple still offers iPods, as I don't like to exercise with my iPhone (too big, bulky, heavy).

Meanwhile, this is an AWESOME update, and so glad Apple let us existing owner update! This update allows you to turn off icons (app?) I don't use (like Photos, Podcasts, audiobooks, clock). My home screen is now down to four icons I use, totally totally awesome!

And the second feature they ADDED was that a double-click of the sleep/wake button is configurable to play/pause, a feature that was sorely lacking before.

I dare say, I think the Nano is now perfected.
post #35 of 43
Yeah, but without video playback you can't talk back to the watch and pretend to be Dick Tracy.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #36 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Rick_V_ View Post

Really? You do realize that it's a one inch screen right? This is a tiny (bordering on too small) device that's dedicated to basically do one thing--music. Watching a movie on a one inch screen? Trying to view a calendar? Your post implies you don't have one. All those features are for the iPhone/iPod Touch. I'm glad Apple still offers iPods, as I don't like to exercise with my iPhone (too big, bulky, heavy).

All these features were available on the 5th generation iPod Nano. I'm not saying anyone would want to watch a movie on the screen of the new Nano, but video playback capability could provide other functions.
Quote:
And the second feature they ADDED was that a double-click of the sleep/wake button is configurable to play/pause, a feature that was sorely lacking before.

This implies that you don't have one. No, I'm joking. But this feature actually WAS in the version 1.1 software. Did you forget to update when 1.1 came out?
Quote:
I dare say, I think the Nano is now perfected.

You're serious? Bluetooth and a tiny speaker like the iPod Touch wouldn't make it way better?
post #37 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

All these features were available on the 5th generation iPod Nano. I'm not saying anyone would want to watch a movie on the screen of the new Nano, but video playback capability could provide other functions.

This implies that you don't have one. No, I'm joking. But this feature actually WAS in the version 1.1 software. Did you forget to update when 1.1 came out?

You're serious? Bluetooth and a tiny speaker like the iPod Touch wouldn't make it way better?

Bluetooth and video and most importantly 3rd party apps and I'd get one, if it could receive info e.g. notifications from iOS or in a dream world, an Android. It's a pretty cool device as a watch.

I don't think a speaker would fit, though. There isn't even room for an earbud! Too small. No one would want or use it, it'd be like 0.1 watts.
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
Reply
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
Reply
post #38 of 43
Is the 1.2 software update being made available to all sixth-generation iPod nano? Reason I ask is I bought one today on the assumption that 1.2 was pre-loaded, but it in fact wasn't. I called the store and they told me the update was available (which it was, I've since installed it), but I do wonder if anyone who bought a new nano in the last year can get the new features.
post #39 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

No problem. You are mistaken. It is not true Apple sells hardware for software only updates. They always give you feature updates for free if they can on old hardware.

Just plug your 2010 Nano into your iTunes, run software Updater 1.2 and your old Nano is like new with all the new software features.

Ah, didn't see this. That explains it, then. The "new" nano is essentially last year's model with a price drop.

Also, I don't think that's always the case. I remember the 5G iPod was never given the "5.5G" software update that merely added a very simple search feature. I highly doubt that was impossible to work onto the slightly older model. I'm sure there are other examples, but that was always a notable one for me.
post #40 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

I don't think a speaker would fit, though. There isn't even room for an earbud! Too small. No one would want or use it, it'd be like 0.1 watts.

How big do you think the speaker in the iPod Touch is?

It's a square half the width of the dock connector, and that includes its housing. They could make it smaller for the Nano, or just use a piezoelectric disc pasted to the inside of the case for minimal feedback. Even a click like the Classic would be better than nothing.

And the speaker is not for listening. No one listens to music through the Touch speaker, though it can be helpful for games. It's so that there's feedback when you plug it in to charge, or when you make a selection, or... when the theoretical alarm clock rings.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple updates iPod nano with improved interface, expanded fitness features