or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple unveils iPhone 4S with A5 CPU and 4G-like data speeds

Apple unveils iPhone 4S with A5 CPU and 4G-like data speeds - Page 5

post #161 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarges View Post

..... and they expect us iPhone 4 users upgrade to this at the tune of 700 buck?

No, you're going to keep your phone. It's all the new folks who will sign new contracts that will take up the iPhone 4S. They expect you to upgrade next year for the iPhone 5.

I'm an Android user and I think this is a good and worthwhile update. Some people just expect too much. I use voice commands and voice dictation on my handset all the time. It's a more useful update than some of you realize. And the new camera? All I can say is wow. If point and shoots weren't dead before, they will be now.

The biggest innovation I see from this announcement though is the marketshare grab of making the iPhone 3GS free. That will help a lot of carriers to convert their pre-paid clients into post-paid clients. That might be huge.
post #162 of 636

Get your pencil sharpeners ready!
post #163 of 636
And it's going to be really funny to read this board when the iPad 3 comes out. It would not surprise me one bit if it had the exact same external design as the iPad 2. It will likely have a A6 processor, retinal display, more storage and better cameras, but hey what really matters is that it LOOKS different right? LMFAO!
Too many Apple products to list...
Too many Apple products to list...
post #164 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by tt92618 View Post

Are you kidding me? The shape of the phone is not 'game changing innovation', and that is unfortunately what everyone has fixated upon: the form factor.

Siri and iCloud are game changers - it's really sad how few people have the capacity to grasp that.

Listen, I NEED at least a 4 inch screen! My eyes need a bigger screen! Almost all other phones have a bigger screen. I like the Apple ecosystem, I like Siri, I like iCloud, but if the next iPhone will not have at least a 4 inch screen (preferably 4.5 for me), I WILL LEAVE! I will probably buy a future Windows Phone 8 as I don't like the Android mess. For now, I'm sticking with my iPhone 4, but next year...
post #165 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarges View Post

how can he expect iPhone 4 users to fork out 700 bucks for this damp squib of an upgrade. he's taking us for a ride

How much did you shell out for the iPhone 4?
post #166 of 636
Not being called an iPhone 5 is apparantly a big deal. Sure, it looks the same on the outside, but the inside is just about completely revamped--Apple wasn't lying about it being brand new inside. I think Apple is saving the "5" moniker for a true exterior redesign.

Save your anger for the iPod touch getting zero updates this time around.
post #167 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by NelsonX View Post

Listen, I NEED at least a 4 inch screen! My eyes need a bigger screen! Almost all other phones have a bigger screen. I like the Apple ecosystem, I like Siri, I like iCloud, but if the next iPhone will not have at least a 4 inch screen (preferably 4.5 for me), I WILL LEAVE! I will probably buy a future Windows Phone 8 as I don't like the Android mess. For now, I'm sticking with my iPhone 4, but next year...

You can pick up reading glasses at Walmart for $10.

Apple isn't responsible for your vision problems.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #168 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

Anyways...I am more than impressed with Siri....I know I'd never ever ever use it except the alarm thing which I use on Android already but that "note that I spent 12 on lunch" is awesome. Plus just the general way you speak to it is cool too...seems much more natural. As opposed to shouting demands.

+1

I use the commands on all the time. "Go to xyzwebsite." "Navigate to ..." "Text xyz ...Hey what's up" "Call xyz" "Set Alarm to..."

It's very handy. Especially when driving. Siri has pulled off a lot of the same functions as Google Voice Actions in a more polished fashion with a bit more functionality.
post #169 of 636
Quote:

Unless they stretch the screen to the edges of the device (approaching 4 inches) I would bet money that it isn't going to happen. If you truly need a larger screen due to vision problems you should probably start looking at other devices rather than stressing over the next iPhone release. Or use glasses, if that solves the problem and isn't a deal breaker.

Unfortunately for some folks, Apple designs for the mass market.
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
post #170 of 636
I think the people most disappointed are the ones who let their imaginations run wild when talking about what the next iPhone will be like.

This is a cool phone. Apple's just keeping up with the Jones'.

BTW, since Samsung had 1080p before Apple, can we say Samsung paved the way?
post #171 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That said, most people (even those of us with 20/20) do find it easier to read on a bigger screen with bigger text. That's just reality.

It's debatable though whether Apple will lose any sales for not upsizing the screen.
post #172 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

No, you're going to keep your phone. It's all the new folks who will sign new contracts that will take up the iPhone 4S. They expect you to upgrade next year for the iPhone 5.

that is if you live in America or if Tim Cook thinks that iPhone should be sold exclusively there. I don't buy on contract any phone (iPhone or otherwise), so I was ready to upgrade now if they had announced iPhone 5. It seems to me that Tim Cook played for home audience only. What a great way to start as CEO, not!
post #173 of 636
Ha, anyone remember when phones made, shocking, phone calls? I gotta say, I love my dumb flip phone more then ever.

post #174 of 636
This is BY FAR the worst announcement Apple has ever done... This is worse than MobileMe !!!

AWFUL..JUST Crap...
post #175 of 636
Quote:

Don't count on a 4.5" display if you also expect them to keep the 3:2 aspect ratio. Even 4" is getting awfully close to the portrait view width of the 16:9 Android-based devices that are 4.3".
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #176 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by alienzed View Post

Faster processor? I4 wasn't slow, useless
Faster data speeds? Yah because we all bit torrent on our phones, useless
New antenna? Wasn't ever a problem before so who faking cares
Greatly improved camera? It's a phone! And the camera was already great, fun maybe, useful, no.
Incredible voice recognition? That remains to be seen buddy
Improved software? Yes but all iPhones and iPads are getting that, invalid argument.
World phone capability? What your phone didnt work before? Seriously useless for 95% of people, maybe better for Apple and carriers.
Up to twice the storage capacity: 16 months for a chip they could have put in 16 months ago? So they arent holding back anymore, not exactly a positive note.

Everything is new except the case...

If you have a 40" Sony TV and sony releases a new 40" Tv with a faster processors, faster wireless speeds, improved cabling, voice-enabled features with slightly better UI that should have been that way from the start, are you going to upgrade? F*ck no. It's still just a 40" tv

Excellent points. And I like your TV analogy.

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

post #177 of 636
Quote:

All this whining amazes me. I realize that there are a lot of people who like nothing better than attacking Apple, but this is absurd.

The new phone has:
- much faster processor
- much faster data speeds
- new antenna
- greatly improved camera
- incredible voice recognition
- Improved software
- World phone capability
- up to twice the storage capacity

In fact, virtually everything is new except the case.

Yet everyone is whining "we didn't get anything new - just a faster iPhone). So do you use your phone to make calls or access the internet - or do you spend all your time staring at the case? It's funny that it's the Apple haters who are spending the most time focusing on the package rather than what's inside.

It's a great update - whether they called it iPhone 4S or iPhone 5 or Swiss Cheese.

For iPhone 4 users that had no real antenna problems, almost all of what you quote that is better....was not broken. The iPhone 4 was fast enough. The camera worked fine for casual pictures etc.

Fazizle.
post #178 of 636
Quote:

Seriously, if you NEED a bigger screen, go out and buy one. But I'm curious about this. Does an bigger screen automatically mean bigger font sizes on text? I really don't know.
post #179 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiJoe View Post

I think it's great! Contracts are two years anyway so that puts everybody in two camps (not counting early up graders ) those who get the NEW model and those who get the S series. I think this makes it easier to swallow not upgrading till your contract is up. I am happy two be on the S schedule because I'm getting the more refined version. My 3GS has held up great but I have liked the form factor of the 4, can't wait for my new 4s.

Ditto. I didn't get the 4 because I wanted to wait for the refined version. This seems to be it. I will do the same thing when the 5 comes out.
post #180 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by airnerd View Post

THIS is the best part of today. Sub $360 is a given today.

Dude, welcome neewbie. The stock sell off on announce days is noting unusual.

The iphone 4s is going to sell very nicely. 4G is not ready for primetime nukklehead. Any Android owner I know bitches how the battery needle goes to zero in a hour. Doh!

http://www.apple.com/iphone/#video-4s
post #181 of 636
BTW, I feel it necessary to point out that Apple never promised us anything. It was all the tech blogs and news outlets that hyped up a mythical iPhone 5. Apple didn't make those teardrop renderings after all. So really, Apple just did what they've done in the past, announced an incremental update. Was there this much whining and moaning when the 3GS was announced?
post #182 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post

Absolutely underwhelming. Did Tim limp off the stage. Thanks Apple, you just saved me $200 because I'll save my upgrade money for something that is new, innovative and modern like a unibody iphone5.

AppleInsider and MacRumors make "promises" that Apple has to deliver on. And you believed it. The cycle begins again tomorrow. Sigh.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #183 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

What a let down. Did they really need a big announcement for this???

I love Apple but I'm not blindly in love with them like some of the people here that are getting offended people are disappointed. The iPhone 4 has been out a long time for a smart phone. A boost in speed and better camera??? What a bummer. Sorry Apple, but I'm not biting on this one. I really wanted a bigger screen...even if it was just a little bigger.

I admit that I will continually be at least a little dissappointed until the iPhone receives a larger screen. Before any apple nut jumps on me for that, there are alot of sizes in between the iphone and the latest gigantic droid, and I'd trust apple to get it into the thinnest and smallest form factor when they do in fact go that route.

In the mean time this is very much like the iPad 2 in that there is not quite enough umph here to induce everyone with a iP4 to grab the new iP4S.

But it is a great update to the phone IF they nail iOS 5 and iCloud.

I'm still really excited to get both next week. Just get it right apple.

In the meantime I'll wait for the next iPhone hardware in 2012.
post #184 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcstarheel View Post

I was hoping for a 5. Oh well. As long as iOS5 and all the features work on my 4 I'm not upgrading until next year.

AFAICT, Siri* requires the 4S.

I couldn't think of a reason that the iPhone needed an A5. But with Siri, a better camera/videoCam I think it is needed/justified.

I look at it this way -- my day 1 iP4 has lasted more than a year and I will hand it down to my daughter -- she's been using a 3G (since my granddaughter pulverized my daughter's 3GS).

So, I'll be getting one.

* For those of you who thing that Siri is just glorified voice commands -- couldn't be further from the truth. You can ask it questions and it keeps track of the conversation and can maintain a running dialog.

Watch the Keynote video when it gets posted.

Siri is a really big deal!

Edit: From what I could tell from the liveblogs, Tim Cook and company ran a very tight and effective show. Congrats to all -- and to Steve for putting that team together!

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #185 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granmastak View Post

Really? I know two people here in the office with Evos and they're constantly charging them. One of them even changed the battery. Those things are big, ugly, the display looks faded out and despite the higher megapixel, the pictures look way inferior to the ones I take with the iPhone. Everything from color accuracy to shadows to fill light.....

Suddenly you went from owning one to using your co-workers as an example?

Anyhow, I could say the same about a professor of mine who asked me about why his iPhone 4 needed to be charged every few hours. He was in an area with a poor signal, which constantly puts a strain on the battery. Do I assume that every iPhone 4 has poor battery life because of this? No.

I'm glad you think they're big and ugly, since they're only MARGINALLY bigger than the iPhone 4 (I'd bet the total volume difference is less than a cubic inch). And I take better pictures with my Evo than you do with your iPhone? Want to compare anything else over the internet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtwwg View Post

I call BS. I've had an EVO since it was released and I have to carry 2 extra batteries around with me if I'm going to be away from a plug. It has the worst, bar none, battery life of any device out there.

Either you're a fool with how you're taking care of your phone, or you're making this story up. I can promise you I charge my phone only when I go to bed despite the fact that I'm on it constantly throughout the day.
TalkAndroid anyone?
TalkAndroid anyone?
post #186 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

That said, most people (even those of us with 20/20) do find it easier to read on a bigger screen with bigger text. That's just reality.

It's debatable though whether Apple will lose any sales for not upsizing the screen.

Horse crap. People find reading better with higher pixel density. You can have the largest screen in the world, but with low pixel density you won't be making out the on-screen objects that well.

Whine somewhere else.

I'm glad I waited for this phone.
post #187 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwinski View Post

This is BY FAR the worst announcement Apple has ever done... This is worse than MobileMe !!!

AWFUL..JUST Crap...

So you don't like the better cellular performance, the world mode option, the switchable smart antennas, the faster CPU, better graphics, or better camera megapxils, optics and sensors, or any of the other internal changes because the casing isn't different?

And you don't like having Siri Assistant which looks to be many times faster and smarter than those server-side-only services, like Google has?
post #188 of 636
Why'd they name the voice recognition thing Siri? They should've called it Stevie.
post #189 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndc121 View Post

Since Verizon doesn't support HSDPA, does this mean (in theory) that the ATT 4S will have higher download speeds than Verizon's?

Yes, and by far.

AT&T iPhone 4=7.2mbs
AT&T iPhone 4s=14.4mbs

Verizon (or Sprint) iPhone 4=3mbs (and lacks data/voice multitasking)
Verizon (or Sprint) iPhone 4s=3mbs (and still lacks data/voice multitasking)

Of course these are theoretical speeds.
post #190 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYitGuy View Post

How much did you shell out for the iPhone 4?

£500 pounds
post #191 of 636
Quote:

Ha! Some CEO you would make. I have 20/20 vision and the screen is a bit small at times, especially when compared to the newer droids.

post #192 of 636
Why is anyone surprised? Because of "leaks"

This was obvious and it is Apple's pattern. Every other year is a design upgrade with a internal component upgrade on the opposite years.

They're not trying to get IP4 owners to upgrade. They do a two year cycle. I had a 3G and went to the 4. People with the 3GS will go to the 4S.

The phone has nice upgrades that make it an awesome phone. Especially coming from a 3G.
post #193 of 636
All the whiners want to do is check boxes. They could care less if the sht works or not. OR how well it works. Or if it really matters. They just need to check each box so they can say they brag on the internets in 5 words or less.
post #194 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_YVP View Post

Ditto. I didn't get the 4 because I wanted to wait for the refined version. This seems to be it. I will do the same thing when the 5 comes out.

I can see that except the retina display and upgraded camera were not something I would have wanted to wait for.

I dont think I'm going to regret missing Siri for the next year as much as I would have those two features.
post #195 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"4G-like", of course, being a term for HSPA+.

Still regular HSPA.

HSPA+ is speeds from 21bps->. In reality though, full speed HSPA (up to 14.4Mbps) and basic HSPA+ (21Mbps) offer the same practical speed. MIMO or Dual Cell would improve from this, but require more from the networks to be really plausible. Maybe iPhone5?

Regs, Jarkko
post #196 of 636
Impressed with Siri, disappointed that there is no redesign. Overall I am happy with the update.

October 2011 "Apple Events" is coming soon.
post #197 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettieblue View Post

For iPhone 4 users that had no real antenna problems, almost all of what you quote that is better....was not broken. The iPhone 4 was fast enough. The camera worked fine for casual pictures etc.

Fazizle.

This is a SMART move by Apple. This phone is a bridge product to the real 4G upgrade is ready for primetime.

Apple in no way could have released a phone to the huge fricking market it has gathered only to be a battery DUD like ALL the current 4G phones on the market.

Smart move means let people on Droids get pissed at shit 4G performance and Apple becomes a KING MAKER again when it PERFECTS the battery life and experience that 4G will command, when the networks are ready. Classic APPLE move. Apparently you don't know their game. Doh. Let others fail and perfect the experience. That's Apple

EVERYONE ON HERE SHOULD WATCH THIS; http://www.apple.com/iphone/#video-4s
post #198 of 636
Does anyone know if Siri will work on an iPhone 4?
post #199 of 636
Anyone seeing AT&T upgrade eligibility that bought the iPhone 4 at launch?

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=133488
post #200 of 636
Feel sorry for Cook... Having to keep a straight face during a non event... Stock is now down $60 from its high... Obviously a lot of insiders knew about this pathetic very late iPhone update...

Apple has fallen asleep... No one wonder they are suing Samsung... It's a diversion tactic...

Apple is unable compete anymore in the phone business...

Sad, sad, sad, I miss the days when they way in the lead... Now they are just followers, last place no less...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple unveils iPhone 4S with A5 CPU and 4G-like data speeds