or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple unveils iPhone 4S with A5 CPU and 4G-like data speeds

Apple unveils iPhone 4S with A5 CPU and 4G-like data speeds - Page 7

post #241 of 636
This was the right move for a bad economy.
post #242 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

The iPhone 3GS was a better iPhone 3G with some new hardware features, and all-around improvements to existing features. The iPhone 4S is that and more with the introduction of Siri. So much for your "That's a shame" theory.

Yeah, but the 3G was so slow that the speed increase in the 3GS was nothing to sneeze at.

The difference between the 4 and 4s is no where near that important.
post #243 of 636
That make my decision easy. I'll get the Droid Bionic or the Nexus Prime....

It is a little nicer than the iPhone 4, but not what I am looking for....

I want 4G and a bigger screen....
post #244 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by jahonen View Post

Still regular HSPA.

HSPA+ is speeds from 21bps->. In reality though, full speed HSPA (up to 14.4Mbps) and basic HSPA+ (21Mbps) offer the same practical speed. MIMO or Dual Cell would improve from this, but require more from the networks to be really plausible. Maybe iPhone5?

Regs, Jarkko

Check out the 2nd post by Brian Klug...

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4304/a...spire?all=true
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #245 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by richwl View Post

I can't believe that people are getting so emotional about this! It's a PHONE people! And it's nearly entirely new where it matters the most which is INSIDE. Why should Apple redesign the outside every time they upgrade the phone? They don't do that with their computers do they? I think that the problem is that they have moved so quickly on both fronts that people simply expect it to always be that way. It was inevitable that they would slow down on changing the form factor. I'm typing this on a late 2008 15" MacBook Pro. It looks virtually identical to a 2011 15" MacBook Pro. Big deal! It's funny because this makes me think of how people are with cars. They think a car is so different/better if the sheet metal gets changed significantly, but the internals are all the same as there previous model. Car companies take advantage of this all the time! Apple most likely feels that the current design of the iPhone 4 is good enough to stick with for another year. And you know what? They'll sell MILLIONS of them! So stop crying like a bunch of babies that just got their lollipops stolen. The iPhone 4S is a serious upgrade where it really counts and that's in performance!

+1

Yeah, of course I'd have loved to have some spankin' new design to show off as I walk around or on CalTrain - ooh look, he's got the iPhone5! - but the fact remains that the 4S is a killer phone on any and all fronts and it will still perform and amaze beyond my expectations.
post #246 of 636
iPhone 4S = iPhone 5 with the name "4S" instead of "5"
It would have the same internals - don't deny it.

Why is everyone bitching in here? Its a good phone - the only thing I see missing from the rumoured 5 is the larger display and, to be honest, the iPhone already has a fantastic display (probably the best on the market), so I'm more than happy to give up the larger display panel to keep the high DPi count and not have apps break for one reason or another.

The 64GB storage, the 1080p video recording, higher quality photographs with faster shutter, far better graphics capabilities, improved antenna design - I'm pre ordering one!

... at night.

... at night.

post #247 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

BTW, I feel it necessary to point out that Apple never promised us anything. It was all the tech blogs and news outlets that hyped up a mythical iPhone 5. Apple didn't make those teardrop renderings after all. So really, Apple just did what they've done in the past, announced an incremental update. Was there this much whining and moaning when the 3GS was announced?

No, but how long did we wait for those?
post #248 of 636
stock price is down now, but wait until they sell these new phones by the tens of millions. it looks like a great phone/camera/video recorder/and on and on.
post #249 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

By that standard, your 1999 Motorola flip phone was good enough. After all, why improve something that's good enough?

Why should Apple be restricted to fixing things that are broken? Other than the case and screen, almost every item in this phone is significantly better than its predecessor.

Now, you might say "that's fine, but I don't need it" and there's nothing wrong with that. But this endless lambasting of Apple for significantly improving only 98 of the 100 components in the phone is absurd.

What would you rather have, a corvette with a Corolla engine or a Corolla with a corvette engine?

Makes ya think...
post #250 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by alienzed View Post

I mean, dual core in a phone, what the heck are people doing with their phones? We learned 5 years ago that any PC does the internet and email just fine, hence now we have tablets, why are they boosting the internals on frickin' phones?

You know how phones multi task?
You know how multiple tasks means more threads to run?
You know how a dual core can handle two threads instead of one?
You know how games play an important part in portable media?
You know how much faster multi-threaded applications will run with a dual core?

I'll leave that food there for your thought.

... at night.

... at night.

post #251 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by richwl View Post

I can't believe that people are getting so emotional about this! It's a PHONE people! And it's nearly entirely new where it matters the most which is INSIDE. Why should Apple redesign the outside every time they upgrade the phone? They don't do that with their computers do they? I think that the problem is that they have moved so quickly on both fronts that people simply expect it to always be that way. It was inevitable that they would slow down on changing the form factor. I'm typing this on a late 2008 15" MacBook Pro. It looks virtually identical to a 2011 15" MacBook Pro. Big deal! It's funny because this makes me think of how people are with cars. They think a car is so different/better if the sheet metal gets changed significantly, but the internals are all the same as there previous model. Car companies take advantage of this all the time! Apple most likely feels that the current design of the iPhone 4 is good enough to stick with for another year. And you know what? They'll sell MILLIONS of them! So stop crying like a bunch of babies that just got their lollipops stolen. The iPhone 4S is a serious upgrade where it really counts and that's in performance!

Good points. A lot of people are bent out of shape because this product didn't meet some promise that Apple never made. Remember how in the months leading up to this event there were conflicting rumors about an iPhone 4 with a speed bump vs. rumors of a new design, etc.? You can't believe everything you hear. If your expectations were set by AppleInsider then you need to take everything reported here with a grain of salt.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #252 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

This isn't comparable to the iPod. It's not revolutionary.

Fact is until the last week, or so, no one expected apple to release an update with the same form factor.

Totally false. Only a portion of the narrow slice of the market which obsesses over these announcements (AI users) actually "expected" Apple to have a new form factor, based on assumptions and rumors only. Many of us were hoping but there was no reason whatsoever to "expect" Apple would do anything other than what they assessed was the best thing they could do at this moment. Which pretty much describes Apple's behavior in the last 10 years.
post #253 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by parksgm View Post

Looks like fixing the rough edges on the existing iPhone.

You can't have game-changing innovation with every release, kids. Don't get greedy.

Exactly. Thank you for reminding people.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

post #254 of 636
I'm surprised at the reactions too. Why don't people realize that generally most Americans are locked into two year contracts. Why would Apple try and sell you a new phone every year if that is the case? DUH

New Camera, chip, etc etc.... everything but the body is new and SIRI looks amazing. Anyone who says "my droid had it first" is not understanding the depth of voice commands in SIRI. It's bordering on AI, not simple voice recognition.

Relax people. Don't cry all you who have 4's are generally supposed to upgrade to 5's next year anyway.
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
post #255 of 636
You just got to love all the excuses on here for such a lame day. This iPhone could have been released as is in June with an IOS and Siri upgrade now just like the iPad 2 will get. Instead Appje bitchslappwd y'all waiters for 4 months and now your new contracts won't begin until October when they could have in June.
Pathetic.
post #256 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionelhuts View Post

Yeah, but the 3G was so slow that the speed increase in the 3GS was nothing to sneeze at.

The difference between the 4 and 4s is no where near that important.

The difference between the 3G and the 3GS, in terms of user experience, is huge, but did we know that before anyone had the 3GS in their hands? Do you have a 4S in your hands?
post #257 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) Yeah, a processor, GPU and its interconnects that can do more in less time is a good thing for many reasons. If you don't understand that then it would be pointless for me to explain.

2) You honestly don't how faster internet speeds could help with anything other than torrenting? Perhaps battery usage efficiency being able to use the cellular chips less often. Or perhaps being able to render webpages and data in apps faster, like streaming of video. You really think waiting is a good thing here?

3) It wasn't a problem, but neither was it a problem with any other iPhone before it. Apple makes their stuff better. Why does this seem so alien to you?

4) It's improved in several good ways according to event data. I'm not one to use a camera but I can certainly see why better quality photos, that are better stability and especially in low light settings are a good thing of those that use it.

5) It has been seen. What part of the Siri/Nuance Assistant do you think won't be as good as the voice recognition in iOS 4.x?

6) Again, why pooh-pooh improved software because Apple is offering it to other devices. I'm sure you'd complain if Apple oddly didn't give the iPhone 4S new SW features so why complain when they do. You should at least leave it as a null value.

7) For the most part you are right; this won't affect many users right away. This also could be the reason for this extra long delay since getting a world mode chip in a smartphone with this many bands has never before been done, especially in such a small smartphone. However, this does open the door for the US finally being to get legislation to get carriers to unlock devices after your contract is fulfilled. Why is that a bad thing?

8) Prove to me they could have put these 64GB chips in the number of iPhones sold in the last 16 months. What were the yields of these chips then compared to the assumed upper-tier iPhone 4 sales? What were its cost per unit? How much power did they use? How fast were the chips? How was the reliability of these chips? Last I had read a year ago was they weren't as fast and had a significantly lower number of read/write sessions that made them unlikely to find their way into the iPhone until 2011. Reading about a new tech on Engadget doesn't mean it's ready for mass production in the most popular devices on the planet.

Had the same TV, same stereo system, but got the newest AppleTV and new TiVo HD. Made the experience considerably better because core devices made accessing my media better, faster and more enjoyable. Buying a new TV just because the black plastic border is a little difference would not have made a difference.

It is a great upgrade on paper, which is why I can't understand the colossal mistake of calling it the "iPhone 4S" which just makes it sound like crap and like it *isn't* a whole new phone when in fact it kind of is.

I think the mistake Apple has made here (if they have made a mistake at all), is in one of their well-known historical weaknesses, which is in handling perceptions and talking nice to the regular humans, which most folks who work at Apple don't understand at all.

The huge extra wait for this phone gave off the impression that we were waiting for something amazing, so when it isn't ultimately delivered, it leaves a sour taste no matter how great the upgrade is (on paper). Not only that, but they haven't explained *why* the wait was longer this time or if it's going to stay that way. This means it's very difficult to convince oneself to plunk down another 800 bucks or so for a new phone when you aren't even sure if they are going to come out with an iPhone 5 in the Spring less than 6 months later.

As is usual with Apple, it's all the things they don't say and all the things they don't communicate which are screwing up the perceptions that they want to sell. And they don't even see that (also as usual).

The other factor that people (and especially Apple), aren't considering is that there isn't a lot on a phone that *can* be improved, year to year. This one is faster and has extra bands, but the average user doesn't need a faster phone or extra bands on the one they have. These are improvements on paper, but almost entirely unnecessary to the actual functioning of the phone.

The faster speeds and graphics will be great for gamers, but gamers are also already satisfied with the iPod touch. If you don't play games (and by "games" I mean something that stresses the GPU, not angry birds or sudoku), what's the point of a faster GPU?

The extra bands are great for business types who are rich enough to go fly somewhere each month, but it doesn't help the average user at all. They don't have any of those extra bands in my country, and the ones we do have, the new iPhone doesn't cover. So how is that really a "world phone"? And even if it is, again, it doesn't actually help the average user at all.

This is why the new iPhone is such a let-down. Yes, on paper, it's a whole new phone and way better than the original one, but in reality it doesn't do anything for the average user that the old one didn't do.

I don't play Infinity Blade. I don't go to Europe or Japan. There is no CDMA in my country.
For me, and for many other average phone users, it's a lame, thin, almost irrelevant upgrade.
post #258 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

lol...

Hallie Berry is "fatter" than Scarlett Johansen so yea, whale.

That made me laugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woolie View Post

Feel sorry for Cook... Having to keep a straight face during a non event... Stock is now down $60 from its high... Obviously a lot of insiders knew about this pathetic very late iPhone update...

Apple has fallen asleep... No one wonder they are suing Samsung... It's a diversion tactic...

Apple is unable compete anymore in the phone business...

Sad, sad, sad, I miss the days when they way in the lead... Now they are just followers, last place no less...

You worry too much. If you're a long term investor you're still fine and their earnings are still strong. The stock might actually be held back somewhat simply because people are very tense about the economy right now, but Apple has the cash in hand to back up the value of their stock along with strong overall growth. Right now I'm more curious if Amazon's tablet will take them by surprise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Apple is 'unable to compete in the phone business' and 'in last place' , while having the best selling phone, by a massive margin, in the industry? Are you insane, or just fucking stupid? Sure, I'm also disappointed we didn't get a new form factor and larger screen, but there's no point spouting factually untrue and sensationalistic statements with no basis in reality, as you just did. iOS5, iCloud, and Siri look amazing, and as far as I can tell more polished and better implemented than anything else in the industry. Whether you like it or no, Apple is still in the lead- by a wide margin.

That's not nice Anyway yeah they're doing well, and contracts last two years anyway so if this release is considered weak, there will probably be a lot of pent up demand with the next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Stock is down due to the upcoming Quarterly report and the concerns of Global Austerity. By the way the stock is back up to $372.50.

By the time the iPhone 4S, iPod Touch, iPod Nano, iOS 5 and the Quarterly Report comes out it will be well over $400.

Don't worry for Mr. Tim Cook. He's not.

If you're invested for the longer term, watching the stock rise and fall all day is pointless. You know Apple has the earnings to back up their stock price, so I wouldn't worry too much.
post #259 of 636
A bigger screen doesn't necessarily mean larger clearer text. In fact if the resolution is not increased with the screen size, the text will actually be fuzzier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NelsonX View Post

Listen, I NEED at least a 4 inch screen! My eyes need a bigger screen! Almost all other phones have a bigger screen. I like the Apple ecosystem, I like Siri, I like iCloud, but if the next iPhone will not have at least a 4 inch screen (preferably 4.5 for me), I WILL LEAVE! I will probably buy a future Windows Phone 8 as I don't like the Android mess. For now, I'm sticking with my iPhone 4, but next year...
post #260 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Horse crap. People find reading better with higher pixel density. You can have the largest screen in the world, but with low pixel density you won't be making out the on-screen objects that well.

Whine somewhere else.

I'm glad I waited for this phone.

Believe what you want. I think most people will agree with me that bigger screens make a difference. That's the reason people sometimes find it easier to read by simply setting the font size larger on their computers. If you can set aside fanboy pride, we aren't talking huge drops in pixel density either. Go look at pixel density for some of the larger Androids that have recently launched. You'll be surprised. In any event, your wounded fanboy pride aside, the implication behind my comment was that they maintain pixel density while increasing screen size.
post #261 of 636
First, kudos to Apple for being honest with the name of the phone. It's really just a little bump on a few specs -- not an improvement in 98 percent of the features, like some posters laughably claim. All it is is a speed bump and a nicer camera. Both nice.

It is dishonest to say Siri is an iPhone 4S feature. They literally yanked it out of the app store and made it so that it only runs on the 4S. That's lame, Apple.

Here's my main point of disappointment, though. People who buy this phone are going to get screwed when iPhone 5 comes out with a larger screen and improved form factor for the same price -- in less than a year most likely. Everyone who got the iPhone 4 will have their contracts expiring, and they'll get to upgrade to the better phone. Those of us whose contracts are expiring now will be stuck another year with the crappy small screens.

I stretched the life of my original Droid to get the new iPhone, but now that it still has the smallest smartphone screen out there, I can't pull the trigger. I'm going to have to wait until the Nexus Prime and others come out later this year.

As an aside, I also love how some people claim that multiple screen resolutions will make things difficult for Apple and iOS app developers. Well, I guess that means the folks at Google and Android's app developers are just way smarter? Huh.
post #262 of 636
Quote:

What would you rather have, a corvette with a Corolla engine or a Corolla with a corvette engine?

Makes ya think...

Not really making me think anything except what a stupid analogy. So based on your previous post, you're saying the iPhone is overpowered and the body was more important thing to change?

NOT changing the body is the best move Apple could make. Production lines are expensive and time consuming to build out. With the lines built and all of the kinks worked out they were able to focus on the guts and the software more and NOT waste their heavy investment int he production lines. C'mon. If guys like you only ran Apple, Right?
post #263 of 636
Honestly the reason people are getting so worked up about this is because apple has become so big. They are in the spotlight more so than when they announced the 3GS. As I was reading the updates I was originally very disappointed with the upgrades for the new iPhone. Partly because of the rumors and I was really looking forward to something completely new. As a teenager I was quick to judge the 4S and throw it out the window as I feel most of the people complaining are. But when you actually look at it, this is a great upgrade and worthy of apples standards. However I feel my generation will still be unhappy simply because it looks the same which is a real shame.
post #264 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

It is a great upgrade on paper, which is why I can't understand the colossal mistake of calling it the "iPhone 4S" which just makes it sound like crap and like it *isn't* a whole new phone when in fact it kind of is.

it packs a lot more stuff into the same casing. Most of it related to speed. I think deems the iPhone 4S name quite easily.

I think if they called it iPhone 5 and people say it looked the same as the iPhone 4 they might be thinking Apple is pulling a fast one on them. And then when they do upgrade to an iPhone with a new number the customer might be weary that it really will be a big enough to really qualify as a whole new version.

I think this is for the best and what I predicted if they were going to upgrade the internals of the iPhone 4 casing.

If anything bothers me is that the iPod Touch doesn't appear to be getting an A5 performance bump.
post #265 of 636
Funny thing (to me) is... if they increased the screen size by only 1mm, changed the back color, and named it the 5 not 4S - half these complaints wouldn't be here. Its all in the name... folks see an "S" instead of a "5" and they instantly think "booooringgg!" even if today they named it 5 and had similar hardware.
post #266 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I think that the requirement to run Siri well is based on the higher performance CPU and GPU cores. Siri is a form of artificial intelligence and requires a lot of compute power to provide acceptable performance.

Apple, likely, could run Siri on an A4 -- but the performance would be marginal and defeat the purpose.

vlingo and google's recognition work on lowend Androids.

This artificial intelligence thing... I have a feeling it would be sweet if it worked, but I just somehow doubt Apple has replicated IBM's Watson for iOS. With this type of thing it's either awesome or a useless gimmick and toy. People just want accurate recognition and dictation, like Android has had for years. All they want to do is be able to speak a destination for GPS or a Google search. Well, I guess. Since the free Google Nav isn't on iOS...I would imagine (maybe?) this Siri thing works with other apps.

Welcome to 2009, Apple and iOS.

I can't wait to see what Nexus Prime holds. They sure made the iPhone camera sound awesome though, I will say. And the physical shutter button is great.
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
post #267 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post

iPhone 4S = iPhone 5 with the name "4S" instead of "5"
It would have the same internals - don't deny it.
Why is everyone bitching in here? Its a good phone - the only thing I see missing from the rumoured 5 is the larger display and, to be honest, the iPhone already has a fantastic display (probably the best on the market), so I'm more than happy to give up the larger display panel to keep the high DPi count and not have apps break for one reason or another.

The 64GB storage, the 1080p video recording, higher quality photographs with faster shutter, far better graphics capabilities, improved antenna design - I'm pre ordering one!

Agreed, I read your post after posting a similar comment. It's all in the name why folks are booing, name it a 5 and add 1mm to the screen and people would rave. \
post #268 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

vlingo and google's recognition work on lowend Androids.
[]
Welcome to 2009, Apple and iOS.

Pay attention. This is nothing like Google's server-side voice system.
post #269 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarges View Post

disappointing event, no new iPhone just a re-cooked iPhone 4, true to form as in the past (see iPhone 3GS), I guess they feel they are well in front of the competition there is no need of anything new. I don't see many iPhone users upgrading to 'this', 3G and 3GS sure but not 4s. I guess we have to wait another 12 months to see anything new.

You are exactly right, and Apple doesn't expect many iPhone 4 owners to upgrade. Apple understands that the vast majority of iPhone users are going to upgrade when their contract is up and not before. The iPhone 4 crowd will get to be wow'd with next year's iPhone 5 when their contracts are up. The 3GS users who have been holding out for the new phone are going to be mostly happy with a serious improvement in every way by the new 4S.

If you think Apple is counting on people upgrading their phones every year, you are sadly mistaken. Especially in this economy. Give it a rest.
post #270 of 636
Quote:

I don't play Infinity Blade. I don't go to Europe or Japan. There is no CDMA in my country.
For me, and for many other average phone users, it's a lame, thin, almost irrelevant upgrade.

Yes and of the millions and millions of iPhone users they are all just like you and only like you.
post #271 of 636
Quote:

Makes ya think...

Actually... a few years back, someone dropped a Corvette engine and gearbox into an Austin Healey

Reportedly, the weight was pretty close.

Apparently, the thing could climb a wall... ...but had difficult with certain maneuvers -- turning and stopping, for example
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker."
-auxio-
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker."
-auxio-
post #272 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcbaritone10 View Post

However I feel my generation will still be unhappy simply because it looks the same which is a real shame.

"You're generation" must be very short sighted.
post #273 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by resnyc View Post

The difference between the 3G and the 3GS, in terms of user experience, is huge, but did we know that before anyone had the 3GS in their hands? Do you have a 4S in your hands?

Well, I think a lot of people imagined it. How long did it take for your apps to load on your 3G? People knew it need a speed boost.

Now how long does it take apps to load on your iPhone 4? I know apps on mine load very quickly. So even if the 4s is instantaneous loading, is the user experience really that much improved?

The best example we have of this is the iPad to iPad 2. After all, that is an A4 to A5 comparison. My dad had an iPad 1 and then bought an iPad 2. I asked him if he noticed any differences between them. He said he loved how the 2 was a lot thinner. When I asked about speed, he said, "Speed?". (And the iPad 2 had more RAM as well.)
post #274 of 636
I think this is short-sighted in that software is only constrained by the hardware that can run it. Software developers are going to take advantage of what is there in ways that may not yet be anticipated. That is going to be felt in the older slower phones.

Quote:

This is why the new iPhone is such a let-down. Yes, on paper, it's a whole new phone and way better than the original one, but in reality it doesn't do anything for the average user that the old one didn't do.

post #275 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by iKol View Post

You just got to love all the excuses on here for such a lame day. This iPhone could have been released as is in June with an IOS and Siri upgrade now just like the iPad 2 will get. Instead Appje bitchslappwd y'all waiters for 4 months and now your new contracts won't begin until October when they could have in June.
Pathetic.

Get a life. The very idea that anyone's mind functions in such a way as to refer to Apple "bitchslapping" anybody because they waited 4 extra months, for reasons we can only guess at - well that's borderline psychotic. Yeah, "pathetic" is a very apt word to describe a company that has gone from nearly folding to become the world's most valuable, in 12 years, with precisely the same business practices they showed to the world today.
post #276 of 636
Apple designs, and the iPhone in particular, are so refined and elegant that it leaves nowhere to go without destroying it. It's like Detroit carmakers who would once in a while come up with an iconic design, but the pressures of the marketplace required them to "update" that design for several years. They would destroy its integrity by adding fins, chrome, and other crap in the name of "new."

The next design of the iPhone will have to be something completely new, and the current classically simple design is so pleasing that there is no reason to supersede it, yet. It has taken today's aesthetic to the max. In a way it's like we have to wait for our culture to evolve a bit further before we can come up with something as iconic to harmonize with it.

Pity Apple's competitors who have nothing visual to copy for the next year. They'll just have to keep adding buttons and silly shapes to give the illusion of design innovation.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #277 of 636
this always happens.. the techies are disappointed but Apple hits the right buttons with the mass market and sells a boat load of them.. Just you wait.. they will be sold out by lunch time on Oct 7th and we will see them scalped on eBay for $1500. People complaining they cant get them for months.
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
post #278 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

Yes and of the millions and millions of iPhone users they are all just like you and only like you.

You really don't come off too well on here SpliffMonkey. He said "many other average phone users." Try not to freak out.
post #279 of 636
At least the hardware that makes it a phone is all new. I suspect that when people actually handle this device they will find that it is an excellent update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by storneo View Post

You can't refresh the design of the hardware every year and make money! They added more functionality inside and beefed it up quite a bit. Actually, I think it's a good refresh. Faster CPU and graphics, better camera, antenna, more networks allowed, global. Very nice adds!!!
post #280 of 636
Actually, you can't compare 3g-3gs evolution with 4g-4gs. Let me explain you why

Both these iphones had speed upgrade. But in 3gs you could actually "fell the difference" - tons of new improved games and apps.
But this dual core cpu is worthless. For more than a year of ip4 run we saw only few games/apps, which could show us "magic" of a4 cpu. a5 maybe good for infinity blade 2, but this is a) the only game for next six-seven moths which will use full potential of dualcore b) very stupid and boring game. I've bought it once to see graphics, but now I don't need some minor shadow/light improvements.

There is no possibility to use these speed on iphone. Such speed requires bigger screen and better inputs (aka mouse or keyboard).

Antenna? I really dont want to disappoint anyone, but 90% of speed depends on your carrier, network load and other factors. You could attach satellite dish to iphone, but you will still be in limits of average (NOT THEORETICAL) speed.

The only real improvement - is camera, but still smartphone is not a camera even with 10Mp

Voice-control-thing is funny, but in real life nothing more than "Oh, look what my iphone can do"

That is why this presentation is sad
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple unveils iPhone 4S with A5 CPU and 4G-like data speeds