or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple unveils iPhone 4S with A5 CPU and 4G-like data speeds

Apple unveils iPhone 4S with A5 CPU and 4G-like data speeds - Page 2

post #41 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

I don't want a brick in my pocket and neither does the general consumer. The only way Apple can make the iPhone screen bigger without fragmenting the market is to scale it up (rather than increasing its resolution). It might have been nice on an edge-to-edge screen, but nowhere near as important as the speed/graphics updates. I'm glad they don't believe I want a brick in my pocket.

P.S. No, not like 'every other smartphone'.

An elegant redesign on the back would have been neat.
(Again, not an overly important feature).

P.P.S. If you're looking for a huge screen, give up on Apple. Not going to happen.

Edge-to-edge screen does not necessarily mean a brick in your pocket. That is a bit exaggerated. They could simply slightly increase the screen size while maintaining the current resolution and form factor. Just reduce the white space. That would have been a sexy change.
post #42 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

a brick by definition isn't shiny...

try not to contradict yourself when being a smart ass.

Also try not to be so ironic when trying to diss a competing product to a product that you like.

Also Android brick? what is this 2008-9?

They are all 'fatter' than the iPhone, so yeah, bricks.
post #43 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirarre View Post

I was hoping for something a little bit amazing. To me this is just another iphone 4 with beefed up specs. Just like the Droid line of Android phones. I don't know if I want to get this or the Galaxy S II Epic Touch (Sprint). It seems like every feature they're talking about is already implemented in Android. And no I'm not an Android Fan Boy..I'm a smartphone fan boy.

If you're in the market for a new phone I'd suggest waiting at least until we hear more about the Nexus Prime...

but if you get an iPhone 4S you made a good decision regardless as it sounds simply amazing on its own laurels and with the way Apple works hardware and software it'll feel newer than it is even when it's old (like the 4 still feels like a brand new phone comparatively)
post #44 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by airnerd View Post

[/B]

and resting on your laurels is a good way to get passed.

spot on
post #45 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

They are all 'fatter' than the iPhone, so yeah, bricks.

lol...

Hallie Berry is "fatter" than Scarlett Johansen so yea, whale.

fail logic is fail.
post #46 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

a brick by definition isn't shiny...

try not to contradict yourself when being a smart ass.

Also try not to be so ironic when trying to diss a competing product to a product that you like.

Also Android brick? what is this 2008-9?

Considering Apple just squeezed a world phone, 8MP 1080p video and a voice assistant into a package which is still thinner than any android handset I guess that makes android phones all fat bricks.
post #47 of 636
Well, pricing is still set to be talked about. Maybe this fail of a phone will only be $399 out of contract. Then it might be appetizing again, for no other reason.

edit: nevermind. $199 cheapest on 16GB. "64GB iPhone finally". REALLY? You can get infinite on Android, and we are supposed to be thrilled with 64GB? I thought iCloud was supposed to make the need for phone space moot anyways.
post #48 of 636
This phone is obsolete on arrival.

8 mpx, face recognition, voice command, notifications, "4G-like"?

Wow. All of these was available on HTC EVO 4G 1.5 years ago

Mac IIcx, Mac Quadra 800, Mac Performa 5200, Power Mac 8600, LaserWriter, iPhone 3G, iPad 3G, iPhone 4S | MacBook Pro, 27" iMac, iPad 3 LTE

Mac IIcx, Mac Quadra 800, Mac Performa 5200, Power Mac 8600, LaserWriter, iPhone 3G, iPad 3G, iPhone 4S | MacBook Pro, 27" iMac, iPad 3 LTE

post #49 of 636
Quote:

and resting on your laurels is a good way to get passed.

Agreed. But they're not.

Down the road it would be nice to see gradual and elegant implementations of other hardware features (e.g. local transmission features) but at this point it is moving on to smaller stuff. Software is where we're going to start seeing the biggest advancements. I feel like the iPhone 4S could have had a touch more oomph, but it's a great iteration in the series.

Just my opinion, of course. I suppose most folks (aside from those who explicitly want a certain feature, like a larger screen) who are disappointed will be so because they subconsciously wanted something which looked different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

Edge-to-edge screen does not necessarily mean a brick in your pocket. That is a bit exaggerated. They could simply slightly increase the screen size while maintaining the current resolution and form factor. Just reduce the white space. That would have been a sexy change.

If you read what I wrote you would have noticed that I addressed this. It would have been viable, with the drawback of losing Apple's definition of a 'Retina' display. I think it is a feature that I would have appreciated, though there are also some technical hurdles to overcome as well. It is something that might be great to explore next time around since it looks like they may have missed it this time. I think the extra size would be worth the slight reduction in resolution.
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
post #50 of 636
They announced a 64GB version... that may.. just may be enough to get me to buy... I been wanting 64GB for 2 years now... seems I gots some thinking to do.
post #51 of 636
Quote:

Considering Apple just squeezed a world phone, 8MP 1080p video and a voice assistant into a package which is still thinner than any android handset I guess that makes android phones all fat bricks.

for one, you brought Android into this discussion for unknown reasons...

for two....no, no it doesn't.

stop making stupid arguments.
post #52 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

They announced a 64GB version... that may.. just may be enough to get me to buy... I been wanting 64GB for 2 years now... seems I gots some thinking to do.

That was my biggest letdown last year and if not for iCloud I'd be all over it this time around. I'm not quite sure how much I'll need or want the 64 GBs if I make use of the online storage. I've got some thinking about that as well. Also not 100% on upgrading from the iPhone 4, either.
  Samuel Johnson
  Samuel Johnson
post #53 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury99 View Post

And how well is the HTC selling?

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

post #54 of 636
does anybody how much the 4s has? i am guess it's the same since they did not mention it.
post #55 of 636
bad move for apple
post #56 of 636
Quote:

That was my biggest letdown last year and if not for iCloud I'd be all over it this time around. I'm not quite sure how much I'll need or want the 64 GBs if I make use of the online storage. I've got some thinking about that as well. Also not 100% on upgrading from the iPhone 4, either.

If I was you (obviously am not) I'd hold onto the iP4 another year. This is a great update, but not that radically different from the 4 especially since most of everything is an OS upgrade not hardware. I'm on a 3GS so for me this would be a major upgrade for hardware and OS... my decision thinking starts... now!
post #57 of 636
If Google were a more aggressive company they COULD take this time to make ICS and the Nexus Prime a bigger event than this lackluster event (my favorite part was the Siri part...that's some future ish right there and imagine it integrated with allll Apple products??? WOW...the future is great and we are here)

But it's going to fly under the radar and we are going to get stupid commercials from Samsung and Verizon...boooooo
post #58 of 636
Kind of a lame update. Siri looks like it could be cool, but it's going to be released as a beta. I doubt it will be a real selling feature until the next iteration of iPhone.

Better camera is a good thing, but not enough to make me upgrade. Same with the A5. Nice, but I don't think needed for my usage.

I'll hold out for an LTE iPhone with a payment ability.
post #59 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

If I was you (obviously am not) I'd hold onto the iP4 another year. This is a great update, but not that radically different from the 4 especially since most of everything is an OS upgrade not hardware. I'm on a 3GS so for me this would be a major upgrade for hardware and OS... my decision thinking starts... now!

Agreed...and if I were on a 3GS I most definitely would get the iP4S...without a doubt.

from a 4? eh...I could wait.
post #60 of 636
I'm happy as hell. I just want a phone that works really well. Glad I waited for the A5 chip. Pre-order here I come.
Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #61 of 636
Sobbing...

And walking to the nearest Apple store for the 4S.

At least they could have given us a bigger screen.
post #62 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Makes sense. This does seem kind of lazy for an 18-month wait. I'll probably end up buying one anyway though.

I don't know if redesigning the outside of the phone makes sense from a business standpoint when you have to do it every year. It would be a nice to have but for me it's not a make or break.
post #63 of 636
Nexus Prime is coming... now is the moment of the SuperPhone...
post #64 of 636
All this whining amazes me. I realize that there are a lot of people who like nothing better than attacking Apple, but this is absurd.

The new phone has:
- much faster processor
- much faster data speeds
- new antenna
- greatly improved camera
- incredible voice recognition
- Improved software
- World phone capability
- up to twice the storage capacity

In fact, virtually everything is new except the case.

Yet everyone is whining "we didn't get anything new - just a faster iPhone). So do you use your phone to make calls or access the internet - or do you spend all your time staring at the case? It's funny that it's the Apple haters who are spending the most time focusing on the package rather than what's inside.

It's a great update - whether they called it iPhone 4S or iPhone 5 or Swiss Cheese.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #65 of 636
I don't get why people are upset about the screen - Bigger screens either mean less pixel density or bigger resolution. Apps are not going to be rewritten for this yet.

Apple made the right call, if it is a little deflating after some of the lead up predictions. But that's all they were.

I'll be replacing my 3gs with iPhone 4s next Friday, and that makes me quite happy.
post #66 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by parksgm View Post

Looks like fixing the rough edges on the existing iPhone.

You can't have game-changing innovation with every release, kids. Don't get greedy.

Are you kidding me? The shape of the phone is not 'game changing innovation', and that is unfortunately what everyone has fixated upon: the form factor.

Siri and iCloud are game changers - it's really sad how few people have the capacity to grasp that.
post #67 of 636
Quote:

what a crock. Let the stock slide begin.

Yes, and watch the sales skyrocket. Apple is just like that.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #68 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

So after all this time we get a faster iPhone 4. Wow. Maybe the iPhone hardware team we're on an extended break or something, as this is incredibly lazy stuff.

Quote:

So what's the most important feature to have? A new design?

Agree - seems like people expected a holographic display powered by a quantum singularity. (Sorry, just watched a ST:Voyager episode last night!)

This was and is a market-leading phone, and with iOS5 (with iCloud and Siri baked right in) it maintain's Apple's incredible user experience over Android.

Period.
post #69 of 636
does anybody how much the 4s has? i am guess it's the same since they did not mention it.
post #70 of 636
Nice improvements but seems most come from iOS rather than earth shattering hardware. Will most likely upgrade as I am due so we will see what comes next year.

Tom
post #71 of 636
18 months and in the end no redesign?! Maybe next year...

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

post #72 of 636
Looks like Steve got going while the going was good.

No new iPhone after a year and a half. WTF?
post #73 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

All this whining amazes me. I realize that there are a lot of people who like nothing better than attacking Apple, but this is absurd.

It's a great update - whether they called it iPhone 4S or iPhone 5 or Swiss Cheese.

Amen, j. Do you think if they'd just called it the "5" there'd be about half as much whining?
post #74 of 636
So is it only 4G-Like on an HSPDA+ network? So let's say I'm on CDMA (VZW)

1. Will I get 14.4 down?
2. Will I still be limited to talk THEN surf (unlike AT&T) ?

The whole reason everyone was griping about a lack of LTE is that LTE is FASTER than 14.4 and also allowed talk and surf.
post #75 of 636
I'm still using a factory-unlocked 3GS and am sorely tempted to buy a plain iPhone4 but will probably end up with the 4S. The camera is tempting to be used as a P&S, especially if it comes anywhere near my Nikon D40 (also have a D700 but no point-n-shoot).

The 64GB is welcome as the 8MP images and 1080 video files are going to be huge compared to 5MP and 720 video. Also useful as temporary storage for my dSLRs for when I don't have the iPad with me.

Tough decision to make in the next two days and if I succumb to temptation, I shall pre-order factory unlocked for delivery on 14 Oct 2011.
post #76 of 636
No excuse here. That is a let down.
post #77 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

THIS IS ALL WRONG. Omg

And 4 months late!!
Now anyone who buys will be locked into at least 1 1/2 years of a contract with a 4S?
No way!
post #78 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury99 View Post

1.5 years ago? which carriers had that service? i bet most of times it would just be in 3g speed.
post #79 of 636
What a let down. Did they really need a big announcement for this???

I love Apple but I'm not blindly in love with them like some of the people here that are getting offended people are disappointed. The iPhone 4 has been out a long time for a smart phone. A boost in speed and better camera??? What a bummer. Sorry Apple, but I'm not biting on this one. I really wanted a bigger screen...even if it was just a little bigger.

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

post #80 of 636
Quote:

Fat ass Fandroids love fat bricks.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple unveils iPhone 4S with A5 CPU and 4G-like data speeds