or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple unveils iPhone 4S with A5 CPU and 4G-like data speeds
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple unveils iPhone 4S with A5 CPU and 4G-like data speeds - Page 12

post #441 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarges View Post

..... and they expect us iPhone 4 users upgrade to this at the tune of 700 buck?

If you already have an iPhone 4 why would you like to upgrade it anyway? is it that bad?
post #442 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Yeah, that's why the Nintendo 3DS is just flying off the shelf...

C'mon, if the iPhone had 3D, these people would be complaining about the lack of 4D or 5D. Because for some people, owning a phone isn't about the ownership experience, it's about whether YOUR phone is winning some hypothetical specs war.

Ask a spec whore what they're going to do with more cores or Gigahertz or megapixel, and they'll shrug their shoulders and say it's all about bragging rights. If they can be that honest and self aware. And there's nothing wrong with being that shallow. I just think it's completely unfair to call the iPhone 4S a failure, just because one is so narrow minded.

I hope the sarcasm was obvious. Like I said before, I think it is a nice new phone. The main issue people have is the fact that the form factor stayed the same making it more difficult to show off their new phone. And I for one am happy that there is no Facebook integration... the last thing I want is even more Facebook.
post #443 of 636
this is awesome,now i can get a nice case and unlike when ip4 was announced and there were no
protective otterbox cases till way late
i can get a case and order my ip4s

will you go to the telecos and buy, be put on preorder list
or

order from apple and work a deal
and what size

now we know that every 2 years for major design change and speed bump ios upgrade each year
3g 3gs 4 4s
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
post #444 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post

And I for one am happy that there is no Facebook integration... the last thing I want is even more Facebook.

Sure would be nice to be able to post a page to my FB profile directly from Safari or YouTube. It would be nice to be able to upload photos directly from the camera app. That's not asking a lot, really.
post #445 of 636
Yeah, I doubt it highly. We won't get into what would happen if you tried though. Needless to say, you've proven what you're about here today. Two words for you, anger management. You're angry because you have the mistaken belief that Apple owes you something. My 5 year old son has tantrums that make more sense than yours. If you get this mad about a cell phone I can only imagine what you're like when something important goes wrong.
Too many Apple products to list...
Reply
Too many Apple products to list...
Reply
post #446 of 636
The upgrade is a significant improvement. Nonetheless, I am disappointed. The iPhone 4 in the family works great. I can get iOS 5 for free and benefit from most of the improvements.

I am vain, but I am not going to tie myself to a 2 Year Contract to have a phone that looks identical to the current one. I want other people to be as excited by my purchase as myself. Nobody will even know I bought a new phone.


I was going to buy a new iPhone to replace the aging 3Gs in the household. Instead, I will buy my friend's iPhone 4 that he will not need anymore as he is going to Sprint. I will unlock that.
post #447 of 636
What Mr. Cook needed, what Apple needed,and what users wanted are not the same.

Mr. Cook needed something that would really blow the socks off the press just to show that Apple could out do Apple without Mr. Jobs. That did not happen. Mr. Cook will take a lot of grief over that.

Apple needed a reasonable and prudent upgrade to an already excellent market leading product. It needed to show it was moving forward with the latest technology. Most would say Apple got that.

What users wanted varies all over the spectrum as demonstrated by the responses to the upgrade in this thread. Whether enough users will be satisfied with the internal-only upgrade to buy millions of the new phones remains to be seen. In the long run that, and Apple's other products, will dictate long-term market trends not initial reaction to today's presentation.

Personally, I wanted both a new form factor and the internal upgrades. When I buy something new, I don't want to be asked if it is the old model. However, that first generation Verizon Blackberry Storm of mine is, well, crap.
post #448 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

So what would have made you undisappointed?
More Gigahertz?
More Cores?
More Gigabytes?
More Megapixels?

But it looks the same! Whaa! None of the baristas at starbucks will know I've got the latest apple toy! They'll all think I've got some 99 dollar piece of shit!
post #449 of 636
Ah, nothing like an Apple hardware release, people coming out of the woodwork and registering just to explain how big a fail it is, Android fans smirking and spec gobbling, whatever Apple does being found pointless and trivial compared to what everybody knows they should have done.....

Just out of curiosity, what's the big hardware update that people would have wanted? I have to guess "bigger screen" is pretty much the whole of it, since cosmetics can't really be that big of a deal.

Thinner? Sure, I guess.

Anyway, for my money the much faster system hardware, much better camera, A5 only Siri stuff plus various iOS 5 enhancements are a great upgrade and are all much more desirable than random cosmetic changes or a slightly bigger screen.

Folks dismissing Siri as "voice command" or "voice dialing" and who think that Android "already does that": no, it doesn't. It's a pretty big deal, an AI based voice interaction system that parses natural English and attempts to discern what you "mean", not just match a phrase to a library.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #450 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdonjr1950 View Post

When I buy something new, I don't want to be asked if it is the old model.

I get asked if my iPad is an iPad 2 all the time. Que sera sera.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #451 of 636
After seeing the new iPhone 4S, I have one thing to say: no thanks. Except for the upgraded CPU/GPU, 8 megapixel image sensor, and the combo CDMA/GSM chipset, it's to the iPhone 4 what the iPhone 3GS was to the iPhone 3--an incremental improvement.

This is going to make HTC and Samsung smartphones that run Android 2.3 (and soon 4.0) and Windows Phone 7.5 ("Mango") look really attractive in comparison.
post #452 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

The beauty of choice. What was stopping Apple putting out a tweaked iPhone 4 for those who don't want anything new, and a much larger iPhone 5 to compete with the Nexus Prime and the other high end stuff? Give people the option, choice is good. As it stands Apple seems happy to occupy the middle ground, leaving the high end stuff to Google.

But that's not what Apple does - giving too many options. And they are doing well with that approach, noone can argue that.

This makes sense for me. For iPhone 4 users it is anyway too early to upgrade. This is for 3Gs and 3G users and for them, difference will be significant.

I was hoping for case redesign - have seen a few 4 with cracked rear glass and I'm personally not finding it that good looking anyway... but everything else is in line with my expectations.
post #453 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoMan01 View Post

After seeing the new iPhone 4S, I have one thing to say: no thanks. Except for the upgraded CPU/GPU, 8 megapixel image sensor, and the combo CDMA/GSM chipset, it's to the iPhone 4 what the iPhone 3GS was to the iPhone 3--an incremental improvement.

So except for the ENTIRE EFFING PHONE it's the same. Got it.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #454 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoMan01 View Post

After seeing the new iPhone 4S, I have one thing to say: no thanks. Except for the upgraded CPU/GPU, 8 megapixel image sensor, and the combo CDMA/GSM chipset, it's to the iPhone 4 what the iPhone 3GS was to the iPhone 3--an incremental improvement.

This is going to make HTC and Samsung smartphones that run Android 2.3 (and soon 4.0) and Windows Phone 7.5 ("Mango") look really attractive in comparison.

They're all incremental improvements. What you're saying is that you're too superficial to see past a case change so you can hold the positional good over others. I guess that's okay, if that's how one wishes to buy products, but I prefer to look at the device itself. This is a major change for the future of the iPhone whether and others want to believe it or not.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #455 of 636
I'm trying to remember if people reacted this way to the 3GS. It looks identical to the 3G after all. The interesting part is that most people keep their iPhones in cases anyway. You'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between any of them in a case really. Do people really think that other people are that observant or really care which phone you carry? I owned the 3GS and never felt the need to clarify that it was not the 3G. Doesn't it matter much more that it does what you need and want it to do? If I was Apple and I read a lot of these posts I'd be tempted just to redesign the case every year and not waste time and money on making the damned thing work better!

Really what Apple should do is stop having these big events to announce upgraded existing products. Clearly people get way out of whack with their expectations because of them!
Too many Apple products to list...
Reply
Too many Apple products to list...
Reply
post #456 of 636
I think this explains most of the consternation out there. People want to have the "new hotness" that is distinguished from last years "new hotness". With so many 4's in the world no one would know you have the 4S from look at the phone itself.

I could give a rats ass myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

The upgrade is a significant improvement. Nonetheless, I am disappointed. The iPhone 4 in the family works great. I can get iOS 5 for free and benefit from most of the improvements.

I am vain, but I am not going to tie myself to a 2 Year Contract to have a phone that looks identical to the current one. I want other people to be as excited by my purchase as myself. Nobody will even know I bought a new phone.


I was going to buy a new iPhone to replace the aging 3Gs in the household. Instead, I will buy my friend's iPhone 4 that he will not need anymore as he is going to Sprint. I will unlock that.
post #457 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

It seems like you don't really understand how Apple works. They're going to keep things as simple as they can, and one of the main things they're going to avoid is fragmentation in the App Store. Screens with a different resolution are probably going to be avoided. They could potentially go smaller with half resolution (ala pre-'Retina' displays) though.

That you describe Google's domain as 'high-end' ground is a pretty clear tell on your position, though. Apple is competing in the 'high-end' ground and only the high-end ground. That some Android phones have bigger screens does not make them more 'high-end' than the iPhone. It just makes them a little nicer for tech folk who are more concerned with the size of their screen than general usability and portability (exempting folks with really fat fingers).

Apple is doing just fine with a single series of models.

I'd never asked for higher resolution on phone screen, but larger screen would make small text easier to read even with same resolution... like when you want to fit whole web page width on a screen without left-to-right scrolling.

But like I said in my previous post, I didn't really expect that. Only saying it would be nice surprise.
post #458 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So except for the ENTIRE EFFING PHONE it's the same. Got it.

You're right. It's not the same as the old model. It has worse battery life.
I'm still using a first generation iPhone. It lasts all weekend on a charge. I'm not sure any of the newer models would do that for me, and this thing is 4 years old. Every time an update has been announced I've been like 'meh.' I was really hoping this would be the update that would have enough goodies to pry my hands off the old trusty, almost rusty, first gen. No such luck. \
post #459 of 636
Toss me in disappointed camp. I actually have a 4, but I have to slap the hell out of it for anyone to be able to hear me. So yea, I was thinking new phone, yay! But it feels like they upgraded the wrong areas
2x faster processor. My 4 doesn't seem sluggish in the least as is.
7x better gpu. For what, one game? On a 3.5 inch screen? Um-k
Voice commands. This one is pretty nice. I know android already has it, but I expect Siri will be really polished.
'4g' like speeds if you're not in the US :/
updated camera. This one was needed I guess, but some of the people that got hands on said it didn't seem very much better.

I guess after all this time I expected a lil more phone stuff.. Bigger screen, real 4g, etc. I'm kinda hoping this next nexus will have native active sync

But I think some die-hards around here should stop assuming that anyone not blown away by today should stop assuming it's all apple hate. Some of it is, but you can tell the difference
post #460 of 636
Honestly, camera meg pixels do not equate to better image quality. Many camera enthusiast sites were nervous about Apple ditching its current camera for the 8 meg pixel camera because most if not all 8 meg pixel cameras perform(ed) poorly in low light. Sony supposedly developed some technology to improve upon that, but whether it was successful is debatable. When introducing the original iPhone 4, Jobs talked about the mega pixel issue and mentioned Apple wasn't going to focus on mega pixels, but instead camera quality. By all accounts, the iPhone 4 Camera is excellent for a camera phone. The jury is out on whether Apple scarified image quality to be able to advertise more mega pixels with this update. My point is just because somethings specs are higher does not mean it is better. That is what some marketing folks want you to think.

As far as Google Voice demo goes, the technology is completely different, and not as advanced as what Apple is offering. Perhaps that isn't apparent in the marketing. Apple's current phone offers limited voice command abilities. This will be significant improved. For example, it was really cool in the Apple demo today how the voice commands interacted with the GPS on the phone to do things such as remind you to call somebody once you leave work. I can see this being really useful. For instance, let me know when I approach the next Tim Hortons. It also can be integrated into Apple's locate friends and family members features. For example, "Give me directions to dad." Further, I imagine Apple will integrate this command technology with iCloud to allow you to better remotely control other devices synced to iCloud. Google's website shows limited support for voice recognition. It is way less sophisticated then what Apple is doing. Apple is also licensing Nuisance's voice recognition software, which is the best.

Moreover, Google's voice command technology relies on sending your voice to a server somewhere, which processes the commands. Without the Internet, it doesn't work. Further, the only reason Google offers that technology is to capture voice commands to use for other purposes. Apple processes the voice commands on the phone, which has several advantages, such as not needing the internet, and not giving somebody your conversations.

I am a little disappointed in this update mostly because I wanted some limited cosmetic changes, however, the performance of the hardware has been improved in every manner. At this point it isn't enough to make me upgrade, but this is strictly vanity speaking. I want people to know I have the latest and greatest. Who knows, once I see the full extent of the voice command potential, I might change my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booradley View Post

I'm very disappointed. I have numerous Apple products and want to continue to purchase their products. I love them. They have been a year or two ahead of their competition until the past year. I believe this update catches them up with their competition. It doesn't put them ahead. I just saw a demo on the Google voice and they did exactly what Apple demo'd today. They've had it for over a year. They've had better cameras for over 1.5 years until today. Yes, Apple added more but today just caught up with their competition and will now be left behind in another month or so. Soon MS will catch them.

A survey just out stated that 80% of Apple customers are disappointed with this update.
post #461 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdonjr1950 View Post

What Mr. Cook needed, what Apple needed,and what users wanted are not the same.

Mr. Cook needed something that would really blow the socks off the press just to show that Apple could out do Apple without Mr. Jobs. That did not happen. Mr. Cook will take a lot of grief over that.

Apple needed a reasonable and prudent upgrade to an already excellent market leading product. It needed to show it was moving forward with the latest technology. Most would say Apple got that.

What users wanted varies all over the spectrum as demonstrated by the responses to the upgrade in this thread. Whether enough users will be satisfied with the internal-only upgrade to buy millions of the new phones remains to be seen. In the long run that, and Apple's other products, will dictate long-term market trends not initial reaction to today's presentation.

Personally, I wanted both a new form factor and the internal upgrades. When I buy something new, I don't want to be asked if it is the old model. However, that first generation Verizon Blackberry Storm of mine is, well, crap.

Except for the slightly shallow need to show off that "my gadget IS the new one," (which I admittedly share), I totally agree with your post.

+3

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

Reply

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

Reply
post #462 of 636
As I said, I am vain. In truth though, it is not all my vanity. There are some iPhone knockoffs that I think are beautiful mostly because of the larger screens. They are easier to read. I understand there is a fine balance that has to be struck with the phone fitting comfortably in most people's hands, but I think upping the screen size slightly would have been good enough to satisfy both my vanity and an improvement I think many would like to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I could give a rats ass myself.
post #463 of 636
A agree with that. Every update is an incremental improvement, including going from the 3Gs to the 4. Maybe Apple should have just called this the iPhone 5. \

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

They're all incremental improvements. What you're saying is that you're too superficial to see past a case change so you can hold the positional good over others. I guess that's okay, if that's how one wishes to buy products, but I prefer to look at the device itself. This is a major change for the future of the iPhone whether and others want to believe it or not.
post #464 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I get asked if my iPad is an iPad 2 all the time. Que sera sera.

When I get my 4S I'll let people know that it's the iPhone 5 with the 5" screen. They'll be in awe...
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #465 of 636
That I want to say actually in defense of those not happy with this upgrade. Apple really can't expect to have things both ways. If you build up hype to the degree you do for your "magical" products, you have to expect this kind of backlash when you underwhelm people. No question that the media overhypes these events all on their own. But Apple also encourages it. Frankly I found most of today's event as boring was watching paint rust. We've all heard Apple pat themselves on the back time and time again and in my opinion too much time was dedicated to that today. I do, however, obviously think that the iPhone 4S will end up being a huge success.
Too many Apple products to list...
Reply
Too many Apple products to list...
Reply
post #466 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

A agree with that. Every update is an incremental improvement, including going from the 3Gs to the 4. Maybe Apple should have just called this the iPhone 5. \

If they had it would have quelled many, not all, but many that feel it's not good enough to radically overhaul the entire internal design. The problem with that is when you do change up the casing you lose some marketing edge by simply going from iPhone 5 to iPhone 6 in the next round.

My biggest wish was for a new button on the side that could access Assistant instantly. I hate having to hold the Home Button or my headphone cable button for several seconds before I can start use Voice Control.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #467 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by richwl View Post

I'm trying to remember if people reacted this way to the 3GS. It looks identical to the 3G after all. The interesting part is that most people keep their iPhones in cases anyway. You'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between any of them in a case really. Do people really think that other people are that observant or really care which phone you carry? I owned the 3GS and never felt the need to clarify that it was not the 3G. Doesn't it matter much more that it does what you need and want it to do? If I was Apple and I read a lot of these posts I'd be tempted just to redesign the case every year and not waste time and money on making the damned thing work better!

Really what Apple should do is stop having these big events to announce upgraded existing products. Clearly people get way out of whack with their expectations because of them!

But it didn't take Apple 16 months to announce the 3GS, a iPhone 4S announced in June would've received adulations but most assumed a 4 month delay meant a new form factor and are thusly disappointed.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #468 of 636
Wow. A lot of hate for a phone you don't have to buy. Would you have responded similarly if Apple had released the 4S today and called it "iPhone 5?". Or would that have made it amazing?

They haven't updated the Macbook Pro's outward appearance (significantly) in 3 plus years. We keep on buying them.

They could skip iPhone 5 and go directly to 6. There was never an iPhone 2.

iPhone
iPhone 3G
iPhone 3GS
iPhone 4
iPhone 4S

Maybe using numbers was a mistake. Maybe they should have stayed with the simple naming scheme they've used with their computers for years.
post #469 of 636
Why?

Apple has addressed two very important issues...and many of you probably don't get it...

1. They now need only build one SKU. This addressed the distribution side of getting the iPhone4s into as many carriers (world-wide...China anyone?) as possible WITHOUT the need to manufacturer two different SKU's. The effect of this will markedly improve manufacturing efficiency and lead to even higher margins. This has Tim Cook's operational excellence finger prints all over it...WELL DONE SIR!

2. They continue to leverage their costs by making essentially the previous generation iPhone. Costs associated with bringing out a new form factor are mitigated.

These two issues will make the iPhone4s even more profitable.

For Apple shareholders like me, today's 'lackluster' announcements are of little concern.

For those who just wanted flames and confetti to shoot out of the "iPhone5", don't let the door hit ya' on the way over to Android.

Apple will be at 500 before July 2012.

You heard it here first.

   I am long on my shares of AAPL at $37.00

Reply

   I am long on my shares of AAPL at $37.00

Reply
post #470 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mode View Post

Tallest Shrill make'n friends.

Mode make'n enemies... Pity!
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #471 of 636
I can appreciate how some of Apple's hardcore fans might be disappointed by the 4S. Putting aside for a moment that Steve Jobs is not there to wow the crowd, Apple delivered a solid upgrade to an already great smartphone. Apple, like most companies, has limited development resources and cannot always re-invent their latest products. I know that this will make no difference to some people, but for the vast majority of consumers, the 4S will more than suffice. Those who find this lacking have a multitude of Android-based alternatives. Yes, it's getting harder and harder for Apple to live up to the hype, but they have delivered a significant upgrade to an already great product. YMMV...
post #472 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

But it didn't take Apple 16 months to announce the 3GS, a iPhone 4S announced in June would've received adulations but most assumed a 4 month delay meant a new form factor and are thusly disappointed.

You think so? The same thing happens every time they upgrade anything no matter how long they take from what I've seen. But as I said earlier, they are largely to blame for the crazy expectations anyway.
Too many Apple products to list...
Reply
Too many Apple products to list...
Reply
post #473 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlink View Post

Why?

Apple has addressed two very important issues...and many of you probably don't get it...

1. They now need only build one SKU. This addressed the distribution side of getting the iPhone4s into as many carriers (world-wide...China anyone?) as possible WITHOUT the need to manufacturer two different SKU's. The effect of this will markedly improve manufacturing efficiency and lead to even higher margins. This has Tim Cook's operational excellence finger prints all over it...WELL DONE SIR!

2. They continue to leverage their costs by making essentially the previous generation iPhone. Costs associated with bringing out a new form factor are mitigated.

These two issues will make the iPhone4s even more profitable.

For Apple shareholders like me, today's 'lackluster' announcements are of little concern.

For those who just wanted flames and confetti to shoot out of the "iPhone5", don't let the door hit ya' on the way over to Android.

Apple will be at 500 before July 2012.

You heard it here first.

Word
post #474 of 636
"OK! New iPhones... new iPhones... gotta be some iPhones around here somewhere. Ah, here we go! Aaaaaaaaaaaaand... nothing!?"

Here's an idea, since making iPhones is difficult--why don't you just keep using THIS iPhone. Same one. And I can just... watch you use it. Yes. That sounds much easier." -Tim "Wheatley" Cook
post #475 of 636
As a fellow Apple shareholder I couldn't agree more.
Too many Apple products to list...
Reply
Too many Apple products to list...
Reply
post #476 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by belunos View Post

Toss me in disappointed camp. I actually have a 4, but I have to slap the hell out of it for anyone to be able to hear me. So yea, I was thinking new phone, yay! But it feels like they upgraded the wrong areas
2x faster processor. My 4 doesn't seem sluggish in the least as is.
7x better gpu. For what, one game? On a 3.5 inch screen? Um-k
Voice commands. This one is pretty nice. I know android already has it, but I expect Siri will be really polished.
'4g' like speeds if you're not in the US :/
updated camera. This one was needed I guess, but some of the people that got hands on said it didn't seem very much better.

I guess after all this time I expected a lil more phone stuff.. Bigger screen, real 4g, etc. I'm kinda hoping this next nexus will have native active sync

But I think some die-hards around here should stop assuming that anyone not blown away by today should stop assuming it's all apple hate. Some of it is, but you can tell the difference

This pretty much sums it up.

-ios runs fast enough on a single core
-GPU was fine already. if devs start making games just for the 4s then we'll see 'FRAGMENTATION'
-4g-like speeds made me laugh. they'll be the same speeds as the iphone 4. it'll take quite a while before it reaches it's full potential. and even then we're seeing Android phones that top out at 21mbps HSPA+, not 14. They could've put LTE in it so easily. Not sure why on earth they didn't
-Voice commands? It take just as much time to go through the menus as it does talking out loud to your phone, waiting for it to recognize the command, and then having it perform the task. Let alone using this in public. I can't wait to laugh at the first person using this feature
-ios5? A mix of Android, Windows, and Blackberry features with heavy twitter integration. Nothing new here. Still a wall of icons for your background and no dynamic content
-updated camera? 8mp is very standard for newer flagship phones. We're going to see some more 12mp phones with more carl zeiss optics lenses too. 1080p is also standard on newer phones

but hey, if you're using the 3GS, it's a good upgrade. People will be able to see what Google has to offer here soon on the 11th

Retina Macbook Pro - 2.6ghz

Galaxy Nexus - Jelly Bean!

Reply

Retina Macbook Pro - 2.6ghz

Galaxy Nexus - Jelly Bean!

Reply
post #477 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Why is the fact that someone has had an Apple product fail an issue for you?

I have had 50% of my Macs have serious hardware failures, one required three repair trips to fix. I know plenty of other people of other people that have had Apple products fail, it is very possible, just because it hasn't happened to you, doesn't mean it hasn't happened to someone else.

Why don't you, and others experiencing 50% failure rates, stop buying Apple products if they are so defective.

It sure would be easier, for all of us, than the constant whinging about it on Apple forums... Or is that your real agenda?
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #478 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

But it didn't take Apple 16 months to announce the 3GS, a iPhone 4S announced in June would've received adulations but most assumed a 4 month delay meant a new form factor and are thusly disappointed.

Had to make an account to agree with this point. Here is my whole problem with the release-
Would I have loved the same form but a slightly bigger screen, sure.
Would I have liked NFC, sure.
But that's not important. The bottom line is:

THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN RELEASED IN JUNE!

That's why people SHOULD be upset. Before people say the extra 4 months were so Apple could make everything "right"- let me counter. Apple had OSX Lion, ok. Apple had iCloud. Ok. Apple had iOS 5. Ok.

But apple is the 2nd largest company in the US. This is what makes apple great- doing the impossible. Making a roll out like that in a year- oh yeah guys, and while I'm at it I'm gonna introduce a new phone, the iPhone 4S this June too w/ iOS 5 and iCloud. BOOM. that's unexpected.
Instead, we get what is expected. Not apple like, sorry. Not one person thinks "wow"... They think "ok". That's the problem.

And for the average consumer, who held onto their iPhone 3GS, and waited for the extra few months, are the upset ones. Otherwise, they could have been using FaceTime, retina display, and the A4 for almost a year.

Just my opinion.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #479 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Mode make'n enemies... Pity!

Ah, that would explain why I can't find my name here when I search. They're all changing it to make fun of me because they don't have positions of their own to support.

ⓐⓝⓓ ⓦⓞⓤⓛⓓⓝⓣ ⓣⓗⓔ ⓐⓓ⊝ⓗⓞⓜ ⓢⓗⓡⓘⓛⓛ ⓑⓔ ⓦⓐⓡⓡⓐⓝⓣⓔⓓ ⓞⓝⓛⓨ ⓘⓕ ⓘ ⓣⓨⓟⓔⓓ ⓛⓘⓚⓔ ⓣⓗⓘⓢ?

Or something equally annoying?

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #480 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN RELEASED IN JUNE!

Where are your facts to back this up as being feasible? Where is your evidence that the quad-band GSM/quad-band UMTS(HSUPA,HSDPA,HSPA+/dual-band CDMA/dual-band CDMA2000 world mode chip was ready for in terms of HW and firmware development? How about all the other radical changes made to the device.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple unveils iPhone 4S with A5 CPU and 4G-like data speeds