or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple unveils iPhone 4S with A5 CPU and 4G-like data speeds
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple unveils iPhone 4S with A5 CPU and 4G-like data speeds - Page 15

post #561 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Post Steve Jobs?

He's the Chairman.

Wake up!

Don't get me wrong, Steve is my idol.

He is chairman of the board not the CEO which means that he will not be involved in the day to day operation and also the design of iPhone already.

The way I see it, the ppl involved starts to get lazy without Steve presence that demand for perfection.

The reason I ask Apple to wake up is because I love the company so much that I does wish it to end up like Nokia.

Nokia have come to the stage where they are now because of their arrogant attitude that they think they are so big that no other company can beat them.

If this simple thing also you cannot understand my friend, you also NEED TO WAKE UP.
post #562 of 636
So much stupid in this thread, I don't know where to begin.

Why did this come in October instead of June? For two reasons: because Apple needs a pre-Christmas season release event, and the iPod is no longer worthy of such an event. And second, the phone couldn't ship until iOS 5 was finished, and iOS 5 didn't hit gold master until *today*.

When is the iPhone 5 coming out? Never. The next phone will be next Sept/Oct and likely be called the iPhone 4G or iPhone LTE. The phone after that might be the iPhone 4GS. And then it's time for the iPhone 8. Just like there was no iPhone 2 or iPhone 3, there's no reason to expect an iPhone with the name iPhone 5.

Apple didn't hype this release. In fact, they said *nothing* about it until last week. The only thing they told us was that iOS 5 would be coming in the Fall -- which clearly meant the new phone would be, too.

Siri is not "voice control" -- it's natural language voice command recognition. You don't have to speak certain keywords the way you have to with voice commands on current phones. It understands contexts, relationships, and abstract concepts. That's a huge advancement over what exists today.

And, finally, if you're an iPhone 4 owner, and you feel like this upgrade isn't compelling for you, that's because it's not meant for you. Most iPhone customers are on two year contracts. Apple's upgrade cycle of major release/evolutionary release reflects that. Most iPhone users upgrading to the 4S will be coming from the 3GS, just as most users upgrading to the 4 came from the 3G.
post #563 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoMan01 View Post

My guess right now is that Apple is now on a "crash" program to get the iPhone 5 ready by May 2012. And it has to be a phone that blows past all the competition with features like:

1. 4.0 to 4.3" IPS LCD touchscreen panel for easier readability.
2. Built-in NFC support compatible with the Sony FeliCa standard, since NFC payment systems found in eastern Asia mostly conform to FeliCa specs.
3. LTE support using a new, very power-efficient chipset that supports GSM, CDMA and LTE all at the same time.

Fats fingers much?
post #564 of 636
Hmm I was waiting for this release as I'm out of contract and upgrading from a 3GS. What do we think guys, is it worth trying myself in for 18 months for this phone or should I hang on and hope they bring out another mid 2nd quarter of 2012???
post #565 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireball1244 View Post

So much stupid in this thread, I don't know where to begin.

Why did this come in October instead of June? For two reasons: because Apple needs a pre-Christmas season release event, and the iPod is no longer worthy of such an event. And second, the phone couldn't ship until iOS 5 was finished, and iOS 5 didn't hit gold master until *today*.

That's speculation. There is no reason hardware and software upgrades have to be synced. the CDMA iPhone wasn't for instance. If iOS 5 took 16 months then iOS 6 might take 16 months, or 24. Do we wait that long?

Quote:
When is the iPhone 5 coming out? Never. The next phone will be next Sept/Oct and likely be called the iPhone 4G or iPhone LTE. The phone after that might be the iPhone 4GS. And then it's time for the iPhone 8. Just like there was no iPhone 2 or iPhone 3, there's no reason to expect an iPhone with the name iPhone 5.

Pure speculation. They need to lose any reference to 4 in their next phone.

Quote:
Apple didn't hype this release. In fact, they said *nothing* about it until last week. The only thing they told us was that iOS 5 would be coming in the Fall -- which clearly meant the new phone would be, too.

Waiting 16 months to produce the same phone, in looks, is absurd. The hype grew as the delay lengthened.

Quote:
Siri is not "voice control" -- it's natural language voice command recognition. You don't have to speak certain keywords the way you have to with voice commands on current phones. It understands contexts, relationships, and abstract concepts. That's a huge advancement over what exists today.

It's ok. I dont care.

[/quote]
Quote:
And, finally, if you're an iPhone 4 owner, and you feel like this upgrade isn't compelling for you, that's because it's not meant for you. Most iPhone customers are on two year contracts. Apple's upgrade cycle of major release/evolutionary release reflects that. Most iPhone users upgrading to the 4S will be coming from the 3GS,

Most countries outside the US are not on those contracts

Quote:
just as most users upgrading to the 4 came from the 3G.

Most iPhone buyers are new to the platform. This will reduce that.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #566 of 636
I agree with much you have written. The marketing strategy that Apple has employed for years has backfired with the release of the IPhone4S. The over speculation by the market led to unrealistic expectations. Apple didn't do enough to downplay that stimulation. Allowing the market to dream bigger than what they knew reality to be led to some disillusion amongst their target and investor base. The enhancements are significant and will find an acceptable market share. What I can't figure out is whether Steve's lack of presence during the lead up to the release caused this marketing blunder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireball1244 View Post

So much stupid in this thread, I don't know where to begin.

Why did this come in October instead of June? For two reasons: because Apple needs a pre-Christmas season release event, and the iPod is no longer worthy of such an event. And second, the phone couldn't ship until iOS 5 was finished, and iOS 5 didn't hit gold master until *today*.

When is the iPhone 5 coming out? Never. The next phone will be next Sept/Oct and likely be called the iPhone 4G or iPhone LTE. The phone after that might be the iPhone 4GS. And then it's time for the iPhone 8. Just like there was no iPhone 2 or iPhone 3, there's no reason to expect an iPhone with the name iPhone 5.

Apple didn't hype this release. In fact, they said *nothing* about it until last week. The only thing they told us was that iOS 5 would be coming in the Fall -- which clearly meant the new phone would be, too.

Siri is not "voice control" -- it's natural language voice command recognition. You don't have to speak certain keywords the way you have to with voice commands on current phones. It understands contexts, relationships, and abstract concepts. That's a huge advancement over what exists today.

And, finally, if you're an iPhone 4 owner, and you feel like this upgrade isn't compelling for you, that's because it's not meant for you. Most iPhone customers are on two year contracts. Apple's upgrade cycle of major release/evolutionary release reflects that. Most iPhone users upgrading to the 4S will be coming from the 3GS, just as most users upgrading to the 4 came from the 3G.
post #567 of 636
OMG this thread has been taken over by the LPC/RR trolls...

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #568 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrike View Post

Quote:
Personally, I wanted both a new form factor and the internal upgrades. When I buy something new, I don't want to be asked if it is the old model.

Er, isn't this kind of shallow?

not at all, it's a perfectly reasonably sentiment; if you buy something new that is an upgrade on the old, not only you want it better but also it looks newer. Especially if you get it unlocked and pay the full whack. He's not shallow, it's you that fails to understand
post #569 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdonjr1950 View Post

What Mr. Cook needed, what Apple needed,and what users wanted are not the same.

Mr. Cook needed something that would really blow the socks off the press just to show that Apple could out do Apple without Mr. Jobs. That did not happen. Mr. Cook will take a lot of grief over that.

Apple needed a reasonable and prudent upgrade to an already excellent market leading product. It needed to show it was moving forward with the latest technology. Most would say Apple got that.

What users wanted varies all over the spectrum as demonstrated by the responses to the upgrade in this thread. Whether enough users will be satisfied with the internal-only upgrade to buy millions of the new phones remains to be seen. In the long run that, and Apple's other products, will dictate long-term market trends not initial reaction to today's presentation.

Personally, I wanted both a new form factor and the internal upgrades. When I buy something new, I don't want to be asked if it is the old model. However, that first generation Verizon Blackberry Storm of mine is, well, crap.


The iPhone 4S was under development long before Tim took over. The iPhone 5 is certainly in development, as is likely even the version 6. Things like this don't get thrown together overnight. He likely had next to nothing to do with the 4S as CEO.

---

The question to upgrade or not is a very personal thing. If I can talk my wife into taking my iPhone 4 and parting with her beloved 3GS, then I will get the 4S. Otherwise, I will wait until my current contract is up as there is no pressing need for the 4S (I only want to play with Siri, that's all). In short, it is difficult to always come out with something that will make people upgrade each cycle; as a customer who also gets shackled by a carrier, I prefer the two year cycle; eliminate the contract and I'm all in.

Then there are lots of people who still don't own smartphones, for whom the 4S could be their first. It will be an awesome experience for them, as various versions of the iPhone have been for many people.

iOS 5 is a free update, and will bring some fresh life into the current phones. That alone might be enough to sufficiently satisfy some so they won't upgrade.

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #570 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Post Steve Jobs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple007
We can start to feel the post Steve Jobs era - getting lesser and lesser innovation in Apple.

Blah blah blah etc. etc. etc. blah blah

APPLE - WAKE UP! If not you will end up like the fate of Nokia........

He's the Chairman.

Wake up!

yes he still is, but now we have CEO with a charisma of NYC janitor and stern look of high school teacher. Mr Cook had the opportunity to show the world he's up the job but he bombed badly. Anodyne presentation, no new iPhone, luckily Scott and Eddy saved the event, they are more natural presenters. Mr Cook has disappointed big time, if he doesn't come up with something compelling next year (see iPhone 5 and iPad 3) and presented with flair, he'll be deservedly out of the job by 2014
post #571 of 636
COok, does not have to a presenter in the style of Jobs. He justs needs people around him to be good at it.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #572 of 636
I think they launched the 4s to buy time to polish the iPhone 5's new design i think thats why there are curved designs coming up i think they're real but not ready.\
post #573 of 636
LTE chip requires separate 3g chip making it TOO big for now apple wants to slim not fatten the size of any iphone. also battery life is an issue 4s is slightly better than ip4. i'd rather get the phone right than compromised it will come but i' m buying the 4s (2 of them)

what if....?

i don't want to video at 1080 can i adjust to 720 to save mem space

the same with 8mp camera can i shoot at a lower res to save file size??

my present pts canon can lets face it most pics and video we share and the few prints i send my mom look great at 3mp on a shutterfly 4x6


when i order i need to know 16 vs 32 right now i have a 16 3g
and its not even half full

do we get the wireless sync with snow leopard or only with lion
thanks
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
post #574 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

I'd never asked for higher resolution on phone screen, but larger screen would make small text easier to read even with same resolution... like when you want to fit whole web page width on a screen without left-to-right scrolling.

Then change your software settings. You can increase font size easily. You can't easily increase the size of all your pockets if your phone is too big.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graxspoo View Post

You're right. It's not the same as the old model. It has worse battery life.

It's really funny how all the phandroids have to make up lies since they can't find anything reasonable to attack about the 4S.
http://www.apple.com/iphone/compare-iphones/
iPhone 4S has longer talk time than either the 4 or 3GS
Granted, standby time is lower, but how often do you need to go more than 8 days without getting near a power outlet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

The problem, tho, is not releasing a dumbed down phone. The problem, instead, is that Apple did not release a superphone. Their current hardware is mid-range.

Apple took the top selling phone in the marketplace and improved it in nearly every regard (except for the screen - which is already better than anything out there). What do you want - a built in transporter and phaser?

Quote:
Originally Posted by graxspoo View Post

If you drop an iPhone 4 you're almost twice as likely to suffer fracturing than dropping an iPhone 3G from the same height. The reason is simple: twice as much glass, twice as much surface area, twice as likely to break. Bad design. They should have ditched it.

So don't drop your phone. Regardless, you're comparing the 4S to the 4 - and there's no change. So why are you complaining?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple007 View Post

We can start to feel the post Steve Jobs era - getting lesser and lesser innovation in Apple.

They took 16month to come out this iPhone 4S... they could have done better.

Really? Your evidence? How many multimillion dollar R&D projects have you completed?

It really amazes me how many juveniles think that creating a new product is so trivial that a mindless drone on AI can simply wave their magic wand and it's done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graxspoo View Post

OK, here's an extension of the car metaphor:
"We gave you a more powerful engine, even though the old engine was pretty much good enough, and now you get 1/3 less MPG, even when you're just driving around town.

Not even close. 'just driving around town' for a car would be equivalent to talking on a phone. A closer analogy would be "you have to check the tire air pressure every 2 months if the car is just sitting in your garage rather than 3 months on the old model". It's an insignificant difference. I don't know anyone who owns an iPhone and doesn't use it. And if you don't use it, then the need to recharge it once a week instead of every other week isn't a big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graxspoo View Post

We strapped this new fuel hungry engine into the same body as last year; the one that is twice as likely to explode on impact compared to the body design from two years back.

And, yet, in spite of that, the iPhone 4 is the top selling phone on the market. I guess the average consumer is smart enough not to use their iPhone as a hammer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graxspoo View Post

I almost never use the iPhone as a phone, so I don't care about talk times. I do however, really like being able to go all weekend without needing to recharge. I am not playing games on the thing all day, and just want to be able to check my email, surf the web a little and that's about it. So, standby time is important to me.

OK. The iPhone 4S is good for 200 hours on standby. Unless you have REALLY long weekends, that shouldn't be a problem for you.

And when you're actually USING it, it lasts longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post

Well actually, if another version of Android comes out... You just get the update. (unless it's strictly hardware related eg. NFC and a FFC)

ROTFLMAO. Funny how the phandroids keep saying this - in spite of years of evidence to the contrary.

My daughter's brand new Android phone is still stuck at 2.1. No signs of an upgrade. And my ex's is still stuck at 1.6 with no signs of an upgrade.

IN THEORY, Android phones are upgradeable, but in practice, it just doesn't happen that often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarges View Post

not at all, it's a perfectly reasonably sentiment; if you buy something new that is an upgrade on the old, not only you want it better but also it looks newer. Especially if you get it unlocked and pay the full whack. He's not shallow, it's you that fails to understand

Funny how the people who only want appearance are "not shallow" while the ones who are more focused on the performance and features of the phone are the shallow ones... Amazing.

Here's what you do. Buy yourself an iPhone 4S. Paint a racing stripe on it and tell everyone it's the new, limited edition iPhone 4 GT. If that's what makes you happy, this will solve all your problems.


I am still astounded at the amount of whining and complaining over a very solid upgrade. And for many people, it's free. If you wait until your contract renewal period (and my iPhone 4 is now eligible for a subsidized upgrade), you can upgrade to the new phone for $200-300. Then sell your old one on eBay for $300 or so. Since I plan to buy the low end model (I never use my phone for listening to music or watching movies, so I don't need the storage), I'll actually pocket $100 and have a phone that's dramatically better in every regard.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #575 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarges View Post

yes he still is, but now we have CEO with a charisma of NYC janitor and stern look of high school teacher. Mr Cook had the opportunity to show the world he's up the job but he bombed badly. Anodyne presentation, no new iPhone, luckily Scott and Eddy saved the event, they are more natural presenters. Mr Cook has disappointed big time, if he doesn't come up with something compelling next year (see iPhone 5 and iPad 3) and presented with flair, he'll be deservedly out of the job by 2014

It's really funny how Apple fans are accused of being more concerned with style than substance - yet then you get complaints like this one. Or this entire thread where vastly improving nearly every element of the new phone isn't good enough because it doesn't have racing stripes or tail fins.

I wish the Apple haters would stick to one story...
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #576 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

How does an app decide that its notification is more or less important than any other apps notification? How would an app know what other apps are on the phone to make this determination?



You didn't address exactly how you get widgets onto the notification bar. Which is the point I raised.

You can't order them if that's what you were going at, but I'm not entirely sure why that's a huge deal. If that is important to you, I'll concede that Notification Center is better for you than the Android notifications.

You check a box in apps that have the option to use widget like notifications? As far as I'm aware Apple only gives you a few notifications you can have in there (correct me if I'm wrong). Android again leaves it to the apps to decide, which means that there are a lot of widgets to choose from.
TalkAndroid anyone?
Reply
TalkAndroid anyone?
Reply
post #577 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Funny how the people who only want appearance are "not shallow" while the ones who are more focused on the performance and features of the phone are the shallow ones... Amazing.

I am still astounded at the amount of whining and complaining over a very solid upgrade. And for many people, it's free. If you wait until your contract renewal period (and my iPhone 4 is now eligible for a subsidized upgrade), you can upgrade to the new phone for $200-300. Then sell your old one on eBay for $300 or so. Since I plan to buy the low end model (I never use my phone for listening to music or watching movies, so I don't need the storage), I'll actually pocket $100 and have a phone that's dramatically better in every regard.

maybe if you take care in understanding what people are saying as opposed to reading with preconceived ideas, there won't be a need to spell it out. We wanted more features, better performance AND ALSO different form factor. Both things. Unlike you I own my iPone 4 outright, so I don't have wait for permission when to upgrade and to which carrier. Apple pulled a similar trick with 3GS, faster innards than 3G, processor got a boost, speedier HSPA, better camera, voice control blah blah ..... history repeats itself. So for us 4 users who buy unlocked paying the full price, is this a "a very solid upgrade"? I don't think so, it's a disappointment as it was Mr Cook performance
post #578 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

It's really funny how Apple fans are accused of being more concerned with style than substance - yet then you get complaints like this one. Or this entire thread where vastly improving nearly every element of the new phone isn't good enough because it doesn't have racing stripes or tail fins.

I wish the Apple haters would stick to one story...

I wish that Apple suckers would stop defending the indefensible, are those of you who suck so hard that give us Apple fans a bad name in the industry.
post #579 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkingNewMedia View Post

Give me a break. The processing power needed to run Siri is only available on A5 devices like the new phone and the iPad 2. The same sorts of limitations on software existed for users of the original iPhone.

I think people who are disappointed in this new phone are crazy. For me, this will be as important a jump in performance as the original iPhone to the iPhone 3GS was (I skipped the iPhone 3G).

I think the biggest unknown is Siri. I was less than impressed with it as a stand alone app. If Apple can duplicate the user experience seen in the video or the demo today this will be huge for a lot of users.

So will Siri become available when iOS 5 is released for iPad 2?
post #580 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarges View Post

maybe if you take care in understanding what people are saying as opposed to reading with preconceived ideas, there won't be a need to spell it out. We wanted more features, better performance AND ALSO different form factor. Both things. Unlike you I own my iPone 4 outright, so I don't have wait for permission when to upgrade and to which carrier. Apple pulled a similar trick with 3GS, faster innards than 3G, processor got a boost, speedier HSPA, better camera, voice control blah blah ..... history repeats itself. So for us 4 users who buy unlocked paying the full price, is this a "a very solid upgrade"? I don't think so, it's a disappointment as it was Mr Cook performance

Then don't effing buy a new one. Your choice.

But your argument is insane. There is no overwhelming reason why Apple needed to change the form factor. Even 18 months after launch, it is still the top selling phone on the planet. Yet they significantly improved nearly everything else. AND they added a great new feature (Siri).

Given that the average iPhone user will be able to upgrade at no cost (since, unlike most Android phones, there is still substantial resale value for the old phone), it's a lot of extra performance at no net cost. Regardless of what the paid Android shills have to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarges View Post

I wish that Apple suckers would stop defending the indefensible, are those of you who suck so hard that give us Apple fans a bad name in the industry.

So defending a phone in which nearly every single feature is greatly improved is somehow indefensible?

Wow, how much did THAT line cost Google?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #581 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedetermine View Post

So will Siri become available when iOS 5 is released for iPad 2?

Siri will become available once Tom Cruise & Katie Holmes birth him.
post #582 of 636
First things first. I DRAFRA why the new iPhone is called the iPhone 4s instead of the iPhone 5, or the iPhone what-have -you. AFAIK, that will not have any bearing on it's features and performance, which is all I care about. I could not possibly care less whether the new model is personally presented by Cook, Jobs, or Charlie the Tuna, as long as the presenter handles this task well. Yes, I enjoy seeing the professionalism and pride that Steve Jobs has exhibited over the years when he has introduced new Apple products. Is that why I buy Apple products? No, it isn't! Get over it!

Currently I have an iPhone 3Gs, and I am looking forward to the faster and more capable 4s that I will pre-order on Friday. I am not disappointed in the slightest by the new model. I don't really have any complaints about the new 4s, and I strongly suspect that many posters in this thread are professional complainers. Nobody is forced to buy this new 4s.
post #583 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


Given that the average iPhone user will be able to upgrade at no cost (since, unlike most Android phones, there is still substantial resale value for the old phone), it's a lot of extra performance at no net cost. Regardless of what the paid Android shills have to say.

You really are a nut. No one post of yours today has failed to call anybody questioning the iPhone a "paid shrill" of Android or Google.

Quote:
So defending a phone in which nearly every single feature is greatly improved is somehow indefensible? Wow, how much did THAT line cost Google?

More nonsense. I am launching some reports against all of your posts where you call the opposition Android shrills.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #584 of 636
My take on the matter is this, the next generation iPhone is just not ready yet. It might be in the matter of power supply, processor, storage, design and other parts that will make the next iPhone much better than the competition. Remember iPhone 3G was followed by the iPhone 3GS and the same reasoning should apply in here. Incremental changes now then blow the competition out of the water with a new iPhone that is different from it's predecessor and it's competition.

As for hardware specs, they are well and nice and while Droid Bionic and Galaxy phones had many superior specs than the 4GS, you have to remember this, specs only do matter if the ideal circumstances is the norm and not the exception. And there is something else, most regular costumers and most techies don't use the true power of their mobile devices because they don't need it. At the end of the day, Specs will not matter a damn if the phone cannot send or received a call without a drop in signal in any place at any time consistently and reliably and for the vast majority of people, that is more important than the specs built in the iPhone, Droid , Galaxy and other smart phones.
post #585 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

You really are a nut. No one post of yours today has failed to call anybody questioning the iPhone a "paid shrill" of Android or Google.

More nonsense. I am launching some reports against all of your posts where you call the opposition Android shrills.

IOW, I'm right on the money and you're afraid that Google will stop paying you now that you've been caught.

Oh, and btw, you can't even get your basic facts right. You said that every one of my posts called someone a shill. That's not even close to being true. Only those who were acting like shills.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #586 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by airnerd View Post

what a crock. Let the stock slide begin.

Love it. Love the meltdown of the fanboys. People that criticizing this device really don't care how much of an upgrade it is. They just know they were expecting it to be a new form factor with the name iPhone 5.

Never mind that the camera is much improved over the already very good iPhone 4 camera. Never mind the dual core chip and improved graphics over the already fast iPhone 4. Never mind the antennae redesign. Never mind that you can now get an iPhone 4 for half price, and the 3GS for FREE.

It's a decent upgrade. It's similar to the 3GS over the 3G, and the 3G over the original iPhone. It reminds me of the PowerBook evolution from "Lombard" to "Pismo" if anyone remembers that. A solid, evolutionary upgrade. That's what is is, and it will sell by the ton. I suggest we ignore the know-nothings here and elsewhere expressing outrage.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #587 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

IOW, I'm right on the money and you're afraid that Google will stop paying you now that you've been caught.

Oh, and btw, you can't even get your basic facts right. You said that every one of my posts called someone a shill. That's not even close to being true. Only those who were acting like shills.

Um, I have been on this site since 2003, and have 1,300+ posts to my name. There is a reason for that. I only own Apple devices, and only will. I want them to compete with Android.

Appleinsider is often disappointed with Apple, and what it releases. Generally it is the fans who are disappointed.

What is needed is rational argument, not conspiratorial nonsense about how Google is paying everybody who dis-agrees with you. That post was also reported. I'll keep going until you are banned.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #588 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Love it. Love the meltdown of the fanboys. People that criticizing this device really don't care how much of an upgrade it is. They just know they were expecting it to be a new form factor with the name iPhone 5.

Never mind that the camera is much improved over the already very good iPhone 4 camera. Never mind the dual core chip and improved graphics over the already fast iPhone 4. Never mind the antennae redesign. Never mind that you can now get an iPhone 4 for half price, and the 3GS for FREE.

It's a decent upgrade. It's similar to the 3GS over the 3G, and the 3G over the original iPhone. It reminds me of the PowerBook evolution from "Lombard" to "Pismo" if anyone remembers that. A solid, evolutionary upgrade. That's what is is, and it will sell by the ton. I suggest we ignore the know-nothings here and elsewhere expressing outrage.


The market has reacted badly. Analysts generally unimpressed. Polls of normal technology sites unimpressed. My twitter feed unimpressed.

Not just there. Not just fanboys. ( Although that is an ad homimen I accept, it bests being called a paid shrill of Google).
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #589 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Um, I have been on this site since 2003, and have 1,300+ posts to my name. There is a reason for that. I only own Apple devices, and only will. I want them to compete with Android.

Appleinsider is often disappointed with Apple, and what it releases. Generally it is the fans who are disappointed.

What is needed is rational argument, not conspiratorial nonsense about how Google is paying everybody who dis-agrees with you. That post was also reported. I'll keep going until you are banned.

IOW, you don't like what I have to say.

Note that I never said you were a shill - I was addressing someone else. If it looks like a shill, talks like a shill, ......

Sorry, but the whining on this page is so out of control that it is clearly being driven by unrealistic expectations and/or a vested interest in making Apple look bad.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #590 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wil View Post

My take on the matter is this, the next generation iPhone is just not ready yet. It might be in the matter of power supply, processor, storage, design and other parts that will make the next iPhone much better than the competition. Remember iPhone 3G was followed by the iPhone 3GS and the same reasoning should apply in here. Incremental changes now then blow the competition out of the water with a new iPhone that is different from it's predecessor and it's competition.

Hardware-wise, this is the second biggest jump since the iPhone first came out. It's bigger than iPhone to iPhone 3G, and bigger than iPhone 3G to iPhone 3GS. The only more major upgrade was from iPhone 3GS to iPhone 4.

The iPhone 4 is an iPad squeezed into a phone with a camera and retina display. The iPhone 4S is the iPad 2 squeezed into a phone with an improved camera and Siri. The next iPhone will, likewise, be the iPad 3 squeezed into a phone with some other improve feature (likely NFC and LTE).
post #591 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by graxspoo View Post

I almost never use the iPhone as a phone, so I don't care about talk times. I do however, really like being able to go all weekend without needing to recharge. I am not playing games on the thing all day, and just want to be able to check my email, surf the web a little and that's about it. So, standby time is important to me.

Well, I suspect that standby time for all iPhones capable of running iOS 5 (3GS, 4, 4S) has been reduced by several things:

1) more robust hardware CPU and GPU

2) more robust notification services and other iOS services

3) dual (world phone) cell radios

These things normally get activated in standby mode;

You have some control to minimize battery usage -- turn off WiFi, BT, Cell, Notifications, Location Services, turn on Airplane mode, etc. Or you can just turn off your iPhone.

Here's a (yet to be updated for iPhone 4S) article on how to maximize battery usage:

http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #592 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Then don't effing buy a new one. Your choice.

But your argument is insane. There is no overwhelming reason why Apple needed to change the form factor. Even 18 months after launch, it is still the top selling phone on the planet. Yet they significantly improved nearly everything else. AND they added a great new feature (Siri).

Given that the average iPhone user will be able to upgrade at no cost (since, unlike most Android phones, there is still substantial resale value for the old phone), it's a lot of extra performance at no net cost. Regardless of what the paid Android shills have to say.



So defending a phone in which nearly every single feature is greatly improved is somehow indefensible?

Wow, how much did THAT line cost Google?

this latest rambling of yours clearly shows your an apple short of a picnic. where this google non-sense come from? are you a Galaxy user par chance? you seem to know about android and google practices far better than I do. We are talking about Apple and iPhone here, stick to the issue.

It's my choice to buy or not to buy an iPhone (as it is your buy or not buy your latest Galaxy) but also my choice to criticise Mr Cook for yesterday's damp squib. Care to expand on how one can upgrade to iPhone 4S (from what model?) free of charge. The fact is iPhone 4S is half baked upgrade, an interim solution until iPhone 5. Deal with it and stop playing with that Galaxy
post #593 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Um, I have been on this site since 2003, and have 1,300+ posts to my name. There is a reason for that. I only own Apple devices, and only will. I want them to compete with Android.

Appleinsider is often disappointed with Apple, and what it releases. Generally it is the fans who are disappointed.

What is needed is rational argument, not conspiratorial nonsense about how Google is paying everybody who dis-agrees with you. That post was also reported. I'll keep going until you are banned.

you don't have to justify yourself to a Galaxy user who thinks is on an Android forum, clearly the guy hasn't got a clue. Good enough only for a laugh.
post #594 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarges View Post

It's my choice to buy or not to buy an iPhone (as it is your buy or not buy your latest Galaxy) but also my choice to criticise Mr Cook for yesterday's damp squib.

And it's my choice to make fun of you for your inane rants.

Virtually every part of the iPhone 4S is significantly improved. If you want to call that a 'damp squib', that's your choice, but don't complain when people with brains and without vested interests laugh at you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarges View Post

Care to expand on how one can upgrade to iPhone 4S (from what model?) free of charge.

I already did - at least twice. I guess reading comprehension isn't one of your strengths.

I have no plans to change cell phone providers, so extending my contract for 2 more years doesn't cost me anything. When I do that, I can get a 4S for $199. I can sell my iPhone 4 on eBay for around $300. So, not only does it cost me nothing, but I'll actually pocket close to $100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarges View Post

The fact is iPhone 4S is half baked upgrade, an interim solution until iPhone 5. Deal with it and stop playing with that Galaxy

Sorry, I wouldn't use a Galaxy if you gave it to me. I prefer quality products.

Your 'logic' is ridiculous. By your standards, NO phone is ever an upgrade because there will always be something better sometime in the future. That's absurd.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #595 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

The market has reacted badly. Analysts generally unimpressed. Polls of normal technology sites unimpressed. My twitter feed unimpressed.

Not just there. Not just fanboys. ( Although that is an ad homimen I accept, it bests being called a paid shrill of Google).

And that proves what? That Apple failed to deliver? Or that the blogosphere had been priming the goddamned pump for months about a new design, including photoshopped images of said design from Chinese case manufacturers? Apple never said what they were doing, and they've never given out information before launch day. To me, all that disappointment is the result of the Internet's collective imaginations running wild.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #596 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarges View Post

not at all, it's a perfectly reasonably sentiment; if you buy something new that is an upgrade on the old, not only you want it better but also it looks newer. Especially if you get it unlocked and pay the full whack. He's not shallow, it's you that fails to understand

The poster said the he/she wanted a new form factor so that people would know it is a new iPhone: When I buy something new, I don't want to be asked if it is the old model.

Sure, I totally understand wanting to have a new form factor to represent newness much like fashion. No problem with that. But the poster wanted other people to know that it is the new device, not himself or herself.
post #597 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrike View Post

The poster said the he/she wanted a new form factor so that people would know it is a new iPhone: When I buy something new, I don't want to be asked if it is the old model.

Sure, I totally understand wanting to have a new form factor to represent newness much like fashion. No problem with that. But the poster wanted other people to know that it is the new device, not himself or herself.

That's a huge mistake in human nature. People do like stuff to look new, partially for show off reason.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #598 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

The market has reacted badly. Analysts generally unimpressed. Polls of normal technology sites unimpressed. My twitter feed unimpressed.

Not just there. Not just fanboys. ( Although that is an ad homimen I accept, it bests being called a paid shrill of Google).

Just like the iPad... and see how bad it's turning out to be.

iPhone 4S 64GB, Black, soon to be sold in favor of a Nokia Lumia 920
Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

Reply

iPhone 4S 64GB, Black, soon to be sold in favor of a Nokia Lumia 920
Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

Reply
post #599 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

Just like the iPad... and see how bad it's turning out to be.

As I recall that was profit taking, Apple having risen on rumors.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #600 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by resnyc View Post

True, reading glasses are cheap and easy to come by, but it's also true that just about everyone over 45 years old needs them, and is annoyed at having to put them on just to use their smartphone to send a text message. Plus peasant-hands fingers have made the fairly narrow iPhone screen not much fun.

Of course, w/Siri built into the 4S, you don't NEED to put on your glasses to type a text, you hit the mic button (easily visible w/o reading glasses) and talk it in if you want. Also solves the finger problem.

I'm on Sprint and I've been using an LG Lotus for over 2 1/2 years. My wife and I are both getting the 4S ASAP.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple unveils iPhone 4S with A5 CPU and 4G-like data speeds