or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple unveils iPhone 4S with A5 CPU and 4G-like data speeds
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple unveils iPhone 4S with A5 CPU and 4G-like data speeds - Page 16

post #601 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

And it's my choice to make fun of you for your inane rants.

Virtually every part of the iPhone 4S is significantly improved. If you want to call that a 'damp squib', that's your choice, but don't complain when people with brains and without vested interests laugh at you.

equally don't get your knickers in a twist if people call you nuts here, I wouldn't do that, clown is more fitting definition. You swallow everything the marketing machine of Apple says, try to use your own judgement it can be a liberating experience. I explained you that is not a solid upgrade and gave the example of 3GS. I won't comment on your association with people with brains otherwise I'll laugh uncontrollably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I already did - at least twice. I guess reading comprehension isn't one of your strengths.

I have no plans to change cell phone providers, so extending my contract for 2 more years doesn't cost me anything. When I do that, I can get a 4S for $199. I can sell my iPhone 4 on eBay for around $300. So, not only does it cost me nothing, but I'll actually pocket close to $100.

you know the old saying, when you are in hole stop digging. You seriously believe you get an upgrade for free? your carrier subsidy your phone at the tune of $450 (you pay $199 towards the cheapest 4S) for nothing? you well pay for it in increased tariff charges, locked in a two year contract and unable to insert another sim card. Try to go abroad and see the roaming charges. The total cost of ownership over a period of two years is lower is you buy it unlocked, plus you are free to change carrier at any time and sell it to anyone on any different carrier. Not to mention the ability to insert local foreign sim card when you travel for business or pleasure.

If you fail to understand this very basic notion, no wonder they take you for a ride every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Sorry, I wouldn't use a Galaxy if you gave it to me. I prefer quality products.

Your 'logic' is ridiculous. By your standards, NO phone is ever an upgrade because there will always be something better sometime in the future. That's absurd.

no comment here, but just a chuckle at the delicious contradiction, keep it up buddy you making us laugh
post #602 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple007 View Post

Don't get me wrong, Steve is my idol.

He is chairman of the board not the CEO which means that he will not be involved in the day to day operation and also the design of iPhone already.

The way I see it, the ppl involved starts to get lazy without Steve presence that demand for perfection.

The reason I ask Apple to wake up is because I love the company so much that I does wish it to end up like Nokia.

Nokia have come to the stage where they are now because of their arrogant attitude that they think they are so big that no other company can beat them.

If this simple thing also you cannot understand my friend, you also NEED TO WAKE UP.

Are you fucking kidding me? You are. Right?

Besides the fact that you haven't shown me anything that tells me you know how a corporation works (actually you've shown me the complete opposite), I also see nothing at all that tells me that anyone is getting lazy at Apple.

Comparing Apple to Nokia is the icing on the cake.

BTW - Tim is a perfectionist... if you knew anything about Apple since Tim's been around you'd know that.
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #603 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarges View Post

yes he still is, but now we have CEO with a charisma of NYC janitor and stern look of high school teacher. Mr Cook had the opportunity to show the world he's up the job but he bombed badly. Anodyne presentation, no new iPhone, luckily Scott and Eddy saved the event, they are more natural presenters. Mr Cook has disappointed big time, if he doesn't come up with something compelling next year (see iPhone 5 and iPad 3) and presented with flair, he'll be deservedly out of the job by 2014

Deservedly?!

Fuck you guys are sad.

If you want to call Steve Jobs an idiot, go ahead. You're welcome to it. Of course you'll look like a moron but...

Do some research.
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #604 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Deservedly?!

Fuck you guys are sad.

If you want to call Steve Jobs an idiot, go ahead. You're welcome to it. Of course you'll look like a moron but...

Do some research.

I think it's time we pull back and regroup.

This new wave of trolling has even raised solipsism's ire, and that's the only way they can defeat us; dragging us to their level.

They won't go away if we ignore them, but they won't shut up if we don't.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #605 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

[...]

There are more intelligent and effective ways to disagree with someone than being a crude ass when responding to them. That said, this forum (and every other technology message board on the internet) has plenty of people who either a) don't understand the subjects they're talking about, or b) are in that young stage of life where they think they know everything. When you resort to vulgar insult-riddled responses, you're numbering yourself among them.
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
Reply
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
Reply
post #606 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

There are more intelligent and effective ways to disagree with someone than being a crude ass when responding to them. That said, this forum (and every other technology message board on the internet) has plenty of people who either a) don't understand the subjects they're talking about, or b) are in that young stage of life where they think they know everything. When you resort to vulgar insult-riddled responses, you're numbering yourself among them.

Vulgar... yes. Insult ridden... huh? I didn't insult anyone. The word moron is in the dictionary. Look it up. I said that "if" he said something then he'd look like a moron.

You have your style... I have mine. Please, put me on ignore if you wish,
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #607 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I think it's time we pull back and regroup.

This new wave of trolling has even raised solipsism's ire, and that's the only way they can defeat us; dragging us to their level.

They won't go away if we ignore them, but they won't shut up if we don't.

It's raised my ire too and it pisses me off.

... and I've never seen these guys go away by ignoring them. To the contrary, they seem to be taking over these boards lately.
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #608 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Vulgar... yes. Insult ridden... huh? I didn't insult anyone. The word moron is in the dictionary. Look it up. I said that "if" he said something then he'd look like a moron.

You have your style... I have mine. Please, put me on ignore if you wish,

If that's a 'style' you are proud of, that's on you. But I'm sure I'm not the only person here who doesn't want to read posts from members who resort to vulgar language and anger when they encounter opinions they disagree with, regardless of their position in an argument.
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
Reply
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
Reply
post #609 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

If that's a 'style' you are proud of, that's on you. But I'm sure I'm not the only person here who doesn't want to read posts from members who resort to vulgar language and anger when they encounter opinions they disagree with, regardless of their position in an argument.

I'm glad you are so very proud of yourself but don't go judging me or anyone else.

Oh and by the way... I caught you calling me temperamental and immature, you edit faster than I could reply... pot, kettle etc.

By the way 2... anger?? Your perspective... I would place bets that I'm calmer than you.

Use the ignore button, please.
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #610 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I'm glad you are so very proud of yourself but don't go judging me or anyone else.

Then don't drag the forum down into the gutter in the name of defending it.
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
Reply
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
Reply
post #611 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

Then don't drag the forum down into the gutter in the name of defending it.

Dragging the forum down... shit pal, for god's sake get a life. The only way this forum gets dragged down is by allowing Apple haters to continually post crap. This doesn't include people who have good points as to where they feel Apple is failing but to continually snipe and respond with bullshit quips is ridiculous.

I've asked the mods to go after a couple of people where it's more than obvious but to no avail. Maybe that's what you should be bitching about.
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #612 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarges View Post

eyou know the old saying, when you are in hole stop digging. You seriously believe you get an upgrade for free? your carrier subsidy your phone at the tune of $450 (you pay $199 towards the cheapest 4S) for nothing? you well pay for it in increased tariff charges, locked in a two year contract and unable to insert another sim card. Try to go abroad and see the roaming charges. The total cost of ownership over a period of two years is lower is you buy it unlocked, plus you are free to change carrier at any time and sell it to anyone on any different carrier. Not to mention the ability to insert local foreign sim card when you travel for business or pleasure.

If you fail to understand this very basic notion, no wonder they take you for a ride every time.

If you're trying to prove that you can't follow a simple logical argument, then you've managed to do so.

As I said (several times), I have no intention of switching cell phone carriers. I don't know where you are, but in the U.S., my monthly fee is going to stay the same whether I upgrade my phone or not. So I'll be paying $100 per month if I keep my iPhone 4 or $100 a month if I upgrade. Upgrading therefore doesn't cost me a penny more in carrier fees.

As for the upfront cost, I can sell my used iPhone 4 for more than I'll pay for a 4S with contract. So it doesn't cost me anything to upgrade.

I don't know how to explain it any simpler. If you can't follow such a simple argument, maybe you should repeat second grade.

Now, if you want to argue that carriers should be forced to lower your rate after your contract expires, I'd agree - and that would change the equation. But as it is, your position makes no sense.

Oh, and btw, buying unlocked phones is even silier. Since I'm staying with AT&T, buying an unlocked phone doesn't reduce my monthly fee one bit. So instead of paying $199 plus the monthly fee, I'll pay $700 (or whatever it is) plus the SAME MONTHLY FEE. How does that make sense?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #613 of 636
I think it's strange (perhaps even disappointing) for many of us to watch an iPhone/iPad release event and not come away thinking "gotta have it". Hell, I broke out my wallet for a $199 paperweight after the Amazon event last week (and I've already got a 64GB iPad2). I figured at the very least, I'd be spending today trying to scheme some way again to upgrade mid-contract on the cheap. Nah. My iP4 works fine and is plenty fast for today's apps, and I don't see any compelling reason to upgrade mid-contract.

So if the iP4S isn't a compelling upgrade for a iP4 owner, is it compelling enough for a new user to pay $199 vs $99 for the iP4? If it's all about the superior iOS experience, wouldn't most new users be satisfied with the iP4 (and be easier for salepeople to push the $99 iP4)? At least until a slew of dual-core or uber-graphical apps are released (i.e. next year)?

The hardware upgrade is obviously compelling versus the 3GS, but is it compelling enough knowing that you'd be mid-contract if a 4G/LTE iPhone rolls out next year (I already have LTE coverage, so maybe I'm biased).

The iP4S seems to me to be a "placeholder", so Apple can sell the iP4's cheaply while still having another premium, flagship product holding that higher price point open. I'd agree that the iP4S is relatively better than the iP4, but if you ignore specs on paper and nomenclature, there is far more user experience improvement from iOS5 than from the iP4S. So I'm just not sure that this is the type of flagship I'd expect from Apple.
post #614 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I think it's time we pull back and regroup.

This new wave of trolling has even raised solipsism's ire, and that's the only way they can defeat us; dragging us to their level.

They won't go away if we ignore them, but they won't shut up if we don't.

If disagreeing with something Apple does is trolling... ok. I would counter that point by saying that defending anything Apple does is also trolling. (or reverse trolling?)

I love Apple- I've had Macs, iPads, iPods, and iPhones for the last 7 years depending on what came out when. But I am just pointing out that everything came out late- and it has since Lion.

Lion came late because they were working on iOS4. Now the excuse (from the defenders) is that iPhone 4S came late because of iCloud/iOS 5/Lion. And that's a valid excuse- and I believe that's what it is. But I do not like this trend (because it happened with Lion and now iOS5) that I'm seeing with Apple.

Proof:
I won't use Leopard/iphone 1 as an example (because it was the first iPhone model)- but Snow Leopard, iOS 3, and the iPhone 3GS all came out within 2 months of each other. 3GS wasn't delayed, nor was Snow Leopard- and the 3GS came out right on time and there was- this is important- no criticism.

Now, we throw iCloud into the mix. Ok- but when we are talking about APPLE- not Microsoft, Google, Amazon- Apple- they need to deliver because that's what they have done in the past. They have always delivered.

Say what you want- call me a troll, whatever. The fact remains that this is the first heavily scrutinized iPhone. Comedians are making fun of it on late night shows, etc. I'm going to buy it- but for everyone to dismiss everything anyone says and calls them "stupid" "trolls" "idiots" shines the light on all of you. You guys are the a-holes who think you know everything. And just because someone doesn't agree with you- they are wrong. Guess what- both can be right.

Typical "tough guys" behind a keyboard that wouldn't ever say that stuff or be such huge arrogant jerks to people in real life. Or maybe you are. Who cares?

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #615 of 636
Never said you were. Thanks for insulting me for absolutely no reason. Cheers!

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #616 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by booradley View Post

4K video

You are completely delusional. Do you know exactly how large a resolution jump 4k is over current phone resolutions? The iPhone 4s is 960*640. Here is what the increases would be for a 4k screen as 4k resolution is 4096*3112:

4.2667x H
4.8625x V


You are not getting a greater than 4x increase in both directions by next year on a phone. Simply not happening.


Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTomcat View Post

A flagship phone in 2011 without LTE or WiMAX capacity is BS!!!
2 years of contract to get 3G until end of 2013 is not worthy.
I live in south Florida and just got a Sprint and the WiMAX signal is perfect...

I live in Louisville KY. Over a million person metro area. We aren't on Sprint, AT&T OR Verizon's roadmaps for LTE or WiMax. Now Sprint has a big strategy meeting Friday and for all we know they're shitcanning WiMax and going to LTE, but right now, I have no idea when any of these companies will be giving me faster data, so buying the 4S and having a way better phone than my LG Lotus while I wait for high speed data to be more widespread isn't a bad thing for me. If you are one of the few to actually live in an area that has higher speeds available, then yes, you do likely value it more and that's fine.
post #617 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

If disagreeing with something Apple does is trolling... ok. I would counter that point by saying that defending anything Apple does is also trolling. (or reverse trolling?)

I love Apple- I've had Macs, iPads, iPods, and iPhones for the last 7 years depending on what came out when. But I am just pointing out that everything came out late- and it has since Lion.

Lion came late because they were working on iOS4. Now the excuse (from the defenders) is that iPhone 4S came late because of iCloud/iOS 5/Lion. And that's a valid excuse- and I believe that's what it is. But I do not like this trend (because it happened with Lion and now iOS5) that I'm seeing with Apple.

Proof:
I won't use Leopard/iphone 1 as an example (because it was the first iPhone model)- but Snow Leopard, iOS 3, and the iPhone 3GS all came out within 2 months of each other. 3GS wasn't delayed, nor was Snow Leopard- and the 3GS came out right on time and there was- this is important- no criticism.

Now, we throw iCloud into the mix. Ok- but when we are talking about APPLE- not Microsoft, Google, Amazon- Apple- they need to deliver because that's what they have done in the past. They have always delivered.

Say what you want- call me a troll, whatever. The fact remains that this is the first heavily scrutinized iPhone. Comedians are making fun of it on late night shows, etc. I'm going to buy it- but for everyone to dismiss everything anyone says and calls them "stupid" "trolls" "idiots" shines the light on all of you. You guys are the a-holes who think you know everything. And just because someone doesn't agree with you- they are wrong. Guess what- both can be right.

Typical "tough guys" behind a keyboard that wouldn't ever say that stuff or be such huge arrogant jerks to people in real life. Or maybe you are. Who cares?


"The fact remains that this is the first heavily scrutinized iPhone" - Back up this statement with some kind of evidence.

"the 3GS came out right on time and there was- this is important- no criticism." - Back up this statement with some kind of evidence.


You claim this iPhone is 'late'. I disagree. Remember that since the last iPhone came out, the single biggest customer complaint was addressed with a release of a new iPhone for Verizon. Apple has consistently said that this fall is when the new version would come out. Claiming that they're late because they didn't hit the mid-summer release of previous years is incorrect. This 18 month gap was filled with the release of the Verizon iPhone, Lion, the release of new MacBook Airs, the iPad 2, and the new Apple TV. Apple releases solid products that deliver on their promises and uphold the Apple brand, not on the assumptions of the market. You can call it 'late', but I'm pretty sure that the sales results will be evidence that it was released right on time.
post #618 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

That's speculation. There is no reason hardware and software upgrades have to be synced. the CDMA iPhone wasn't for instance. If iOS 5 took 16 months then iOS 6 might take 16 months, or 24. Do we wait that long?

I heard this argument in the mid-90s: Software and hardware don't need to be linked. It doesn't add anything to the user experience. So Apple started making clones. Worked really well.



Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Pure speculation. They need to lose any reference to 4 in their next phone.

Why? Because 4 is too old school? Are we now choosing phones based on their naming conventions?



Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Waiting 16 months to produce the same phone, in looks, is absurd. The hype grew as the delay lengthened.

Why is this absurd? iPhone 4 accessories continue to work with the new iPhone 4S. The phone with the highest cust sat in the world not changing the form factor is absurd?



Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

It's ok. I dont care.

I do. Siri is the single biggest user experience addition in this release. It looks amazing to me. It plays right into the Apple brand and is feature for which the additional processing power of the A5 chip is essential (for its pan-iOS functions).


Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Most countries outside the US are not on those contracts

Why should a US company make design decisions based on foreign markets when its primary market is domestic? Doing so would be an example of poor management, not something good.



Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Most iPhone buyers are new to the platform. This will reduce that.

How will this reduce that? Because the 4S is out-specced by the competition? The same was true of the iPhone, 3G, 3GS, and 4. Yet Apple continues to deliver the best user experience available and made at least one very significant addition in Siri.

I love logic like this: The iPhone 4 convinced people to switch from Android, but now, the 4S, despite being better is just about every way from the 4, will reduce the amount of people willing to switch? Somehow making the iPhone better makes the iPhone worse? I'm very curious how that happened.
post #619 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Virtually all of these super sized Android screens are lower resolution than the iPhone 4's small screen, but they look fine. The iPhone 4 res could easily handle another inch in screen size.

That said, the new high end Android stuff is full 1280x720 on a 4.5" screen, which must look pretty spectacular.

Here are the DPS counts for the current resolution of the iPhone at different screen sizes.

960*640 3.5" 329.65
960*640 3.85" 299.68
960*640 4" 288.44
960*640 4.25" 271.48
960*640 4.5" 256.39

The above Android screen would be as follows:
1280*720 4.5" 326.36
post #620 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus1602 View Post

"The fact remains that this is the first heavily scrutinized iPhone" - Back up this statement with some kind of evidence.

"the 3GS came out right on time and there was- this is important- no criticism." - Back up this statement with some kind of evidence.


You claim this iPhone is 'late'. I disagree. Remember that since the last iPhone came out, the single biggest customer complaint was addressed with a release of a new iPhone for Verizon. Apple has consistently said that this fall is when the new version would come out. Claiming that they're late because they didn't hit the mid-summer release of previous years is incorrect. This 18 month gap was filled with the release of the Verizon iPhone, Lion, the release of new MacBook Airs, the iPad 2, and the new Apple TV. Apple releases solid products that deliver on their promises and uphold the Apple brand, not on the assumptions of the market. You can call it 'late', but I'm pretty sure that the sales results will be evidence that it was released right on time.

Remember that since the last iPhone came out, the single biggest customer complaint was addressed with a release of a new iPhone for Verizon." - Back up this statement with some kind of evidence.
Kind of annoying, right? but I agree with you completely. I also know that the general consensus of the two points I made are true based on my anecdotal data and following blogs/forums such as these.

And I concede that this was the intended date- particularly if apple sees fit to start bringing the iPhone launches to the fall instead of June. But all companies miss deadlines- even apple. So while that might be the case, it's also not out of the scope of reason that they missed it as well. Again- we'll never know (I'm surprised they told us about lion to be honest). But with Steve out of it, and with such an underwhelming release that hardware-wise could have been released in June, you should understand people's nervousness.

Take you as the poll- are you completely floored at this release and was it "magical"? Or was it just expected. THATS what I'm saying the difference is. It was just "ok". Not bad. But not the "wow" that were accustomed to (and before anyone calls me high maintenance for expecting "wow"- apple set the bar, not me).

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #621 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarges View Post

maybe if you take care in understanding what people are saying as opposed to reading with preconceived ideas, there won't be a need to spell it out. We wanted more features, better performance AND ALSO different form factor. Both things. Unlike you I own my iPone 4 outright, so I don't have wait for permission when to upgrade and to which carrier. Apple pulled a similar trick with 3GS, faster innards than 3G, processor got a boost, speedier HSPA, better camera, voice control blah blah ..... history repeats itself. So for us 4 users who buy unlocked paying the full price, is this a "a very solid upgrade"? I don't think so, it's a disappointment as it was Mr Cook performance

No one has to wait for permission to upgrade, they just have to pay more.

Apple did 'pull a similar trick' with the 3GS. They released an updated phone in the same form factor as the best selling phone in the world. The 3GS then went on to become the best selling phone in the world. It is still the 2nd best selling phone in the world.

You state that you wanted, "more features, better performance AND ALSO different form factor". You received more features (which you later blah, blah, blah). You received better performance (which you later blah, blah, blah). You did not get a new form factor. If the form factor is that important to you, then there's not much I can say. Though I am curious why, if you like your 4 so much, you would complain about the 4S having the same form.

The majority of us are not buying a new phone every year. If you are happy with your 4, keep it. For those of use still using a 3G or 3GS, this is more than just a 'solid' upgrade. Either way, A5 and Siri alone make the 4S a solid upgrade over the 4. Whether a solid upgrade is worth $700 or whatever an unlocked 4S goes for is up to you. Feel free to be disappointed. But calling this a 'damp squib' upgrade is just not true. It provided a faster, better version of the best selling phone in the world and added an OS-integrated natural voice command system that is currently unparalleled in the market.

In conclusion,

more features + better performance - new form factor = damp squib

BUT

more features + better performance + new form factor = the phone you desire

Which means that all your complaining is because the best selling phone in the world, that you state to at least like, retained its iconic form. If that's your beef, then have at it. Meanwhile, I'll pre-order my 4S to replace my 3G and smile while doing it.
post #622 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnb View Post

My iP4 works fine and is plenty fast for today's apps, and I don't see any compelling reason to upgrade mid-contract.

So if the iP4S isn't a compelling upgrade for a iP4 owner, is it compelling enough for a new user to pay $199 vs $99 for the iP4?

As the Android fans always say, choice is good. You don't have to upgrade. For me (and many others I think) the speed of the 4S and Siri are going to make me want it.
post #623 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnb View Post

So if the iP4S isn't a compelling upgrade for a iP4 owner, is it compelling enough for a new user to pay $199 vs $99 for the iP4? If it's all about the superior iOS experience, wouldn't most new users be satisfied with the iP4 (and be easier for salepeople to push the $99 iP4)? At least until a slew of dual-core or uber-graphical apps are released (i.e. next year)?

I can't imagine any way that I'd buy the iPhone 4 instead of the 4S for only $100 difference. And I suspect that most people would feel the same way.

But, fortunately, you have the choice. Last year, the iPhone 3GS was the #2 phone in the market - after the iPhone 4. The same thing could happen here.

Oh, and btw, don't kid yourself about current apps not needing more performance. I have quite a few games that run slowly on the iPhone 4 when you get to higher levels with hundreds or thousands of objects loaded and could use a faster CPU and GPU.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #624 of 636
Steve passed away

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #625 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Why don't you, and others experiencing 50% failure rates, stop buying Apple products if they are so defective.

It sure would be easier, for all of us, than the constant whinging about it on Apple forums... Or is that your real agenda?

I can buy anything I want. I don't have to answer to you, or any of the others that don't seem to understand that products fail, including Apples.
post #626 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That's why someone invented something called statistics. Your experience could be atypical. The guy who claimed that he's bought tons of Apple devices with only one failure could be atypical. But when you look at the entire market, Apple is always at or very near the top in terms of quality. And it's always on top for customer satisfaction. THAT is what matters.

I understand this, my issue is with the others that don't understand that even Apple has product failures.
post #627 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

I understand this, my issue is with the others that don't understand that even Apple has product failures.

Who said that Apple never has product failures?

Nice straw man argument.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #628 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Steve passed away

... and, other than Steve's passing, nothing on these boards seems very important at the moment.
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #629 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I can't imagine any way that I'd buy the iPhone 4 instead of the 4S for only $100 difference. And I suspect that most people would feel the same way.

But, fortunately, you have the choice. Last year, the iPhone 3GS was the #2 phone in the market - after the iPhone 4. The same thing could happen here.

Oh, and btw, don't kid yourself about current apps not needing more performance. I have quite a few games that run slowly on the iPhone 4 when you get to higher levels with hundreds or thousands of objects loaded and could use a faster CPU and GPU.

I didn't suggest that you would. And I do agree that 3GS and Android sales show that millions of people are willing to accept an inferior phone to save $100 (and in the case of Android, save often even less).

I also agree that a small percentage of games would benefit from better CPU/GPU, although I haven't seen any research to suggest that more than an equally small percentage of users would find that important on a consistent basis.
post #630 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

If you think the Galaxy S II is a "brick," you've obviously never used one or put it in your pocket. The 4, on the other hand... now THAT is a brick.

If it dont fit in a pocket and you need baggy pants with 4-liter pockets for it to fit or a man-purse.
post #631 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by simtub View Post

Agreed. Most people cover their beautifully designed iPhones with cases anyway..

I think that the IPone4 modeling was a mistake even before the lauch. Now they did nothing to make the phone less glass in this 4S, now _THAT_ is a shame. Even if they would only have make the back from something else than glass....

Dont get me wrong you NEED a case if you buy a phone with a case made of glass if you think it might drop 1 time during the year....


A have suggested to everybody i know to buy a case right away because its glass. My 3G i had i have only ever dropped once on the floor to get the screen glass shatter. Its not a good idea to make even the back side from glass and with no metal bezel.

The reason that people have cases is that they have read reports from insurance companies in the paper saying how fragile the case is and even of friends breaking either glass.

I have many friends who did not buy the case and many have had the glass eventually break. One even dropped it on the floor on the first day. The backglass broke, now thats a shame.
post #632 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Who said that Apple never has product failures?

Nice straw man argument.

Maybe you should go back through he thread and read the messages replying to the person who said they had issues.

Your reply is another example
post #633 of 636
The carriers have forced a 2 year product cycle on their customers. The hardware manufactures have changed their product life cycles to match!. I just bought the Verizon iPhone 4 in Feb. Would love upgraded hardware, but its not economically feasible.I switched from Android to iOS and will NEVER go back. It not about the hardware...its the integration with my life. Thanks Steve Jobs for seeing that.
post #634 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwallace44 View Post

The carriers have forced a 2 year product cycle on their customers. The hardware manufactures have changed their product life cycles to match!.

16 months ≠ 24 months

And if you look at absolutely every other hardware manufacturer, you'd know that's not the case.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #635 of 636
Anyone else find it a little unsettling that the dictation feature was not given a demo? To me that would be very, very useful - and not including a demo makes it looks as though Apple are not confident of the accuracy.
post #636 of 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by pembroke View Post

Anyone else find it a little unsettling that the dictation feature was not given a demo? To me that would be very, very useful - and not including a demo makes it looks as though Apple are not confident of the accuracy.

AFAIK Siri uses the Nuance engine, which has a proven track record.

My guess is that the demo emphasized features that the competition doesn't have. Speech to text is kind of old hat, and on the Apple video demo is just sort of shown in passing as part of the larger feature set (as in the case of dictating a response to a new message).
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple unveils iPhone 4S with A5 CPU and 4G-like data speeds