or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple showcases iPhone 4S camera with high-resolution sample photos

Apple showcases iPhone 4S camera with high-resolution sample photos

post #1 of 83
Apple has added a collection of "unretouched photographs" taken by the new iPhone 4S to its website, highlighting the handset's new 8-megapixel next-generation shooter.

The iPhone 4S was unveiled early Tuesday at a media event hosted by Apple on its campus. The Cupertino, Calif., company is billing the iPhone 4S camera as a "you-can't-believe-it's-on-a-phone camera."

The rear-facing shooter on the just-announced smartphone now boasts 8-megapixels, 1080p HD video, a custom f2.4 lens, and an advanced hybrid IR filter. Apple claims the new illuminated sensor gets 73 percent more light than that of the iPhone 4 and is a third faster than its predecessor. The video camera function now features real-time video image stabilization and temporal noise reduction.

The photos posted to Apple's website are advertised as "unretouched photos taken using iPhone 4S." The images feature a resolution of 3264 x 2448.

In September, a photo surfaced that was allegedly taken on the Apple campus by an Apple engineer with the then unannounced iPhone 4S.

The 8-megapixel camera spec was one of the few consistent rumors ahead of the launch of the iPhone 4S. The sensor is believed to be the Omnivision OV8830. According to a report earlier this year, Omnivision will supply 90 percent of CMOS sensors for the device, while Sony is said to be furnishing the remaining 10 percent.

Click to see full-size.

Click to see full-size.

Click to see full-size.

Click to see full-size.

Click to see full-size.

Click to see full-size.

Click to see full-size.
post #2 of 83
It's got the small-sensor mottling thing going and a bit of violet cast but, hey!, these are pretty much on par with a decent compact.. and stunning for a camera-phone!
post #3 of 83
Those pictures were obviously cropped - how do I know they weren't Photoshopped as well.
post #4 of 83
Nice. These are easily better than my chunky (then mid-range) Lumix circa 2007. Will be great to have a camera of this quality on me at all times.

Do you think Apple staged the balloon flight or are these a selection of candid moments?
post #5 of 83
Nice enough pics, but does nothing to diminish the fact that the iPhone4S is merely an incremental update to a near 16 month old handset.

Those who truly desire great photo IQ already have nicer cameras with decent-sized sensors.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #6 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Nice enough pics, but does nothing to diminish the fact that the iPhone4S is merely an incremental update to a near 16 month old handset.

Those who truly desire great photo IQ already have nicer cameras with decent-sized sensors.

I missed reading your posts! Mostly the responses...

You mean you're not going to buy 9 of the new phone?

Did you get a Touchpad? I hear they're running a special right now!
post #7 of 83
I winder how fast this will drain the battery and use up storage- the current camera is both a energy and memory hog.
post #8 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by iKol View Post

how do I know they weren't Photoshopped as well.

Well, I don't know how you would know or not.

Do you possess the ability to read?

iPhone 4S Photo Gallery
View a collection of unretouched photographs taken using iPhone 4S. Click an image to see it larger.
post #9 of 83
Great little camera for what it is, but I won't be replacing my Canon 50D with it any time soon. When you know what to look for, there's no comparison to a real Digital SLR camera. With a lens that small, you can really lose sharpness (very noticeable at contrasting edges).

It's a great camera for casual use, but when quality matters most, I'll be using a full sized lens.
post #10 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoslick View Post

Great little camera for what it is, but I won't be replacing my Canon 50D with it any time soon. When you know what to look for, there's no comparison to a real Digital SLR camera. With a lens that small, you can really lose sharpness (very noticeable at contrasting edges).

It's a great camera for casual use, but when quality matters most, I'll be using a full sized lens.

I don't think anyone on stage today would argue with you. It's not expected to replace a DSLR.
post #11 of 83
Quote:

I have a very nice camera with some very nice lenses. But I don't take it everywhere. Having a small camera handy is very necessary, especially when I'm carting the kids around and just really don't have the time or space to lug around the T2i with my f/2.8 70-200mm.

In fact I bet if you ask most camera geeks, they own a range of cameras for different situations.
"Wait while I make my rhymes....I have them now."
"Wait while I make my rhymes....I have them now."
post #12 of 83
Quote:

I winder how fast this will drain the battery and use up storage- the current camera is both a energy and memory hog.

Why are you here?
post #13 of 83
Quote:

Have you ever said an iPhone update was anything but incremental? By definition, all updates to everything are incremental. If they were no incremental, they would not be updates, they would be new products.

The Galaxy Prime will be an incremental update. Good luck figuring out to what, there are like 11 S2 models.
post #14 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Well, I don't know how you would know or not.

Do you possess the ability to read?

iPhone 4S Photo Gallery
View a collection of unretouched photographs taken using iPhone 4S. Click an image to see it larger.

That's not the aspect ratio my iPhone 4 camera takes- Can't you measure? Do you believe everything you read as gospel? Sacrosanct ?
post #15 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

Have you ever said an iPhone update was anything but incremental? .

The people using the word incremental are using it as a putdown, as in incremental meaning small.

In the past, Apple would release a notebook and next year's model, instead of 1.8 Ghz, it would be 2.0 Ghz. Now that can be considered an incremental update.

I would hardly consider going from a single core cpu to a dual core cpu, giving a device much faster performance and way faster GPU performance as being incremental.
post #16 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Nice. These are easily better than my chunky (then mid-range) Lumix circa 2007. Will be great to have a camera of this quality on me at all times.

Do you think Apple staged the balloon flight or are these a selection of candid moments?

They look pretty candid to me.

Balloons are a pretty popular tourist attraction in Napa wine country. Pretty easy for an Apple engineer to grab a stealth snap from a vineyard.

The second shot must be candid. The horizon is hilariously unlevel. Plus it looks like the vast majority of local beaches at sunset (crappy surf).

The third shot is pretty nondescript, something like anyone might take. "Ooh, look, pretty flowers!"
post #17 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Balloons are a pretty popular tourist attraction in Napa wine country. Pretty easy for an Apple engineer to grab a stealth snap from a vineyard.

The second shot must be candid. The horizon is hilariously unlevel. Plus it looks like the vast majority of local beaches at sunset (crappy surf).

The third shot is pretty nondescript, something like anyone might take. "Ooh, look, pretty flowers!"

I think the balloon shot was staged, not that there's any real problem with that. I say this because later in the presentation, wasn't there a video with scenes of people at the balloon?
post #18 of 83
Quote:

but it is a huge update to the average joe who actually fulfills his whole 2 year contract before replacing a phone.

and a near magical starting point for those getting their first iPhone.

And these are the folks Apple is targeting not constant naysayers like you for whom it is only great if it gives you what you think it 'must' have even if your demands are ridiculous

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #19 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Why are you here?

Why do you live in Texas?
post #20 of 83
Nokia N8 is still better.
post #21 of 83
Quote:

So you think a company that has more money than the government didn't hire professionals? Even if the people they hired HAD to use the new phone... really?

I may be young, but I'm not naive!
post #22 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadania View Post

So you think a company that has more money than the government didn't hire professionals? Even if the people they hired HAD to use the new phone... really?

I may be young, but I'm not naive!

Exactly- add on prop stylists, external light panels , reflectors and on and on. The stupidity and naivety on here is sometimes unbearable.
post #23 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

It's not hard to find balloons in northern California.
post #24 of 83
Quote:

Those pictures were obviously cropped - how do I know they weren't Photoshopped as well.

Cynical much?
post #25 of 83
Quote:

The stupidity and naivety on here is sometimes unbearable.

Real stupidity, as in dropped on their head by their mother when they were an infant stupid, is suggesting that Apple would photoshop pictures from their new phone.
post #26 of 83
Quote:

That's not the aspect ratio my iPhone 4 camera takes- Can't you measure? Do you believe everything you read as gospel? Sacrosanct ?

No, the aspect ratio was always "off" on the iPhone 4 at 1.33884298 for a resolution of 2592x1936.

The aspect ratio of the iPhone 4S is a perfect 1.33... for a resolution of 3264x2448.

These images haven't been cropped or Photoshopped. You can look at the detailed Exif data if you're interested.

BTW: the new camera app allows cropping.
post #27 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by tchwojko View Post

I have a very nice camera with some very nice lenses. But I don't take it everywhere. Having a small camera handy is very necessary, especially when I'm carting the kids around and just really don't have the time or space to lug around the T2i with my f/2.8 70-200mm.

In fact I bet if you ask most camera geeks, they own a range of cameras for different situations.

Guess what demographic this device is NOT aimed at.
post #28 of 83
Quote:

They didn't take the pictures with the iPhone 4, they took them with the iPhone 4S, which has a resolution of 3264 x 2448, which is exactly the resolution of all of the images when you click on them to view full size as instructed. They were not cropped.
post #29 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

It's not hard to find balloons in northern California.

Apparently, there are a lot of AI readers who don't get this.

As I mentioned, balloons are a non-trivial tourist attraction in Napa wine country. It's pretty darned easy to capture shot #1 if you're a Napa Valley tourist. It's like photographing some chick in a bikini at Venice Beach.

Again, there are a bunch of naive, highly sheltered folks here.
post #30 of 83
Quote:

Unless you are a professional photographer, the iPhone camera is superior to DSLR in at least three aspects.

1. Touch Focus.
2. Geotagging.
3. Face recognition.

All three functions are right in the iPhone and Photos app.
post #31 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins View Post

Nokia N8 is still better.

Compared to a kick in the crotch, I guess you're right.
post #32 of 83
Quote:

I have a Canon 7D and 5D. And the iPhone 4S will be replacing them...when I need one in my pocket, or at a venue that doesn't allow pro cameras, or wherever the case may be that I have my phone, but not a dedicated camera.

I could say the same thing about the iPhone and my 7.1 channel sound system, or my HDTV, or my girlfriend.
post #33 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

Unless you are a professional photographer, the iPhone camera is superior to DSLR in at least three aspects.

1. Touch Focus.
2. Geotagging.
3. Face recognition.

All three functions are right in the iPhone and Photos app.

4. Connectivity for immediate sharing.
post #34 of 83
Quote:

Just as the iPad2 was an incremental improvement to the iPad and is doing reasonably well.
post #35 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsimpsen View Post

Just as the iPad2 was an incremental improvement to the iPad and is doing reasonably well.

By 'reasonably well', I'm assuming you mean 'raping everyone else and dominating the market'.

I'm going to go ahead and predict that the 4S will end up selling even more than the 4.
post #36 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by macslut View Post

No, the aspect ratio was always "off" on the iPhone 4 at 1.33884298 for a resolution of 2592x1936.

The aspect ratio of the iPhone 4S is a perfect 1.33... for a resolution of 3264x2448.

These images haven't been cropped or Photoshopped. You can look at the detailed Exif data if you're interested.

BTW: the new camera app allows cropping.

Well then I stand to be corrected. So then the new camera's picture will not therefor fit the screen ratio of the phone exactly and therefor give us black bars on the top and bottom or will it scan or blowup the image? If what u say is factual?
post #37 of 83
Quote:

will be replacing my girlfriend.

I'm guessing she doesn't read this site!
post #38 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadania View Post

I missed reading your posts! Mostly the responses...

You mean you're not going to buy 9 of the new phone?

Did you get a Touchpad? I hear they're running a special right now!

Quote:

I used to live in Saratoga, About 5 miles from Apple Headquarters. Periodically, there would be a bunch of balloons like these appear in the morning from North of Apple, then over De Anza college....

There was even one time that a balloon with an Apple Logo was tethered at Bandly One -- and you could go vertical for a short ride...

I suspect that these are candid shots from around Cupertino!
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #39 of 83
Quote:

I have a Canon 7D and 5D. And the iPhone 4S will be replacing them...when I need one in my pocket, or at a venue that doesn't allow pro cameras, or wherever the case may be that I have my phone, but not a dedicated camera.

I could say the same thing about the iPhone and my 7.1 channel sound system, or my HDTV, or my girlfriend.

I was with you till "girlfriend" but now i am just wondering exactly what kind of apps you have on your phone...
OSX, because making UNIX user friendly is easier than debugging windows.
OSX, because making UNIX user friendly is easier than debugging windows.
post #40 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsimpsen View Post

Except that it's not:
New body-Much lighter & much thinner.
Not 1 but 2 cameras.
Twice as fast.
Smart cover compatible.
Gyroscope.
iMovie.
Did I miss anything?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple showcases iPhone 4S camera with high-resolution sample photos