or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung takes stab at iPhone 4S with Galaxy S II comparison sheet

Samsung takes stab at iPhone 4S with Galaxy S II comparison sheet - Page 3

post #81 of 245
In some areas the Galaxy S 2 is superior in specs when compared to the iPhone 4S, however, the comparisons of specs are going to be lost on most consumers. Most consumers would be more concerned about the ecosystem and ease of use or Apple's dependable customer support. I don't think the iPhone 4S will harm iPhone sales to any degree. It's an Apple product and consumers will buy it for that reason. If there are no major flaws in the design, it will be more than enough smartphone for the average consumer. If Apple feels that there will be consumers buying the 3GS for $0 and the iPhone 4 for $99, then I'm sure the 4S will be more than adequate to use. If various factions have been asking for lower-priced iPhones, then they're finally getting them. I believe this initial kneejerk reaction to there not being an iPhone 5 is being blown out of proportion as far as the average consumer is concerned.
post #82 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkettpolitur View Post

Yes, but at least one that's decently big. Why couldn't Apple put a 4+" screen with 720p in there? The Nexus Prime will have it; Apple could have stolen Google's & Samsung's thunder, but no...

Apple does not want to deal with screen fragmentation.

Android phone resolutions are all over the map.

Just explains the lack of any control by Google in the Android world.
post #83 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairthrope View Post

Age maybe? When you hit 60+ like newbee does you will understand. I lean toward 4.3" LG Optimus 2 because of my eyesight as well.

There are only so many things you could do before you need a bigger screen.

If newbee is still around and arthritis hasn't take his hands away, he might admit he has already abandoned iPhone and use iPad to post to us. And now he has a small backpack with him whenever he goes.

People that are completely blind can use the iPhone.

http://technolog.msnbc.msn.com/_news...and-apple-tech

http://www.tuaw.com/2010/09/20/blind...es-the-iphone/
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
post #84 of 245
I don't know about the rest of the world, but personally I wear normal dress pants to work and not giant gangster jeans, and the pockets don't have room for phones with 5, 6 or 7 inch screens. I think my iPhone screen is just perfect.
post #85 of 245
Don't get why people allude to the curved screen and are disappointed Apple didn't release a phone with it.

Sometimes, just because something is technically feasible does not mean you should do it. Apple gets that and it's one reason their design is iconic. Here's hoping they never release a phone with it. In fact, I bet it will never catch on. Don't forget, Apple has already experimented with it on the Nano.
post #86 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

I don't know about the rest of the world, but personally I wear normal dress pants to work and not giant gangster jeans, and the pockets don't have room for phones with 5, 6 or 7 inch screens. I think my iPhone screen is just perfect.

Afraid to show your underwear?
post #87 of 245
Quote:

It doesn't have to be 5". Look at the Samsung Galaxy S II next to the iPhone 4 (YouTube Video), there is practically no difference in pocket-ability yet the difference in screen real estate is huge.
post #88 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairthrope View Post

Age maybe? When you hit 60+ like newbee does you will understand. I lean toward 4.3" LG Optimus 2 because of my eyesight as well.

There are only so many things you could do before you need a bigger screen.

The only problem with your logic is that it's so trivial to change the font size on the iPhone. If you can't read it, simply increase the font size. Given the high resolution, it will be more readable than a larger, lower quality Android screen.

Or, if you can afford an iPhone and plan, you can probably afford glasses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Pretty much nobody has an Apple TV.

Last I heard, they've sold a couple million. That's 'pretty much nobody'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kresh View Post

You know Apple will scream bloody murder. Apple considers all other company's patents to be F/RAND Patents, but the ones Apple owns are not and thus warrant injunctions on competing products.

That is, of course, nonsense. Apple considers patents which are necessary to operation of cell phone networks to be FRAND - which is exactly the definition the rest of the industry uses. It does NOT consider all patents to be FRAND.

Quote:

- Grapes -> Not sour? Oh yes they are!

Glad to see you admitting that all of your posts are sour grapes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Samsung's lower-resolution screen, using AMOLED which is prone to burn-in and loss of color quickly, weighs less due to using plastic instead of metal/glass, using an OS that is prone to weekly malware/bot attacks and needs to be babysat in a way only a tech-head or nerd can do is somehow more preferred than an iPhone? Does that sum it up?

Just about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyTab View Post

Phones like the SGSII are still pocketable.

SGSII
125.3 x 66.1 x 8.49mm

iPhone 4/4s:
115.2 x 58.7 x 9.3mm

Difference:
L: 10.1mm larger
W: 7.4mm larger
D: 0.81mm smaller

If that difference really does stop these large phones from being pocketable, I'd invest in clothes that actually fit.

I love the way the phandroids have to lie to try to win a point. The thickness of the SGSII is not correct. You're reporting the thickness at the thinnest point - not the thickest point.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #89 of 245
Quote:

It doesn't have to be 5". Look at the Samsung Galaxy S II next to the iPhone 4 (YouTube Video), there is practically no difference in pocket-ability yet the difference in screen real estate is huge.

'practically no difference in pocketability'? Are you delusional? The Samsung is huge.

Not to mention, of course, that the iPhone has over 40% more pixels for clarity. And the Samsung screen probably won't last the life of the phone without significant fading. And the Samsung phone is deficient in so many other ways.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #90 of 245
Quote:

Hey, don't call me a nobody! I have two Apple TVs and use them all the time. You should try one.
post #91 of 245
Quote:

Do you consider it a negative feature of the iPad?

In comparison to the iPhone 4, Yes. Though it's heaps better than the 128x160 display on my Nokia.
post #92 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustReelFilms View Post

Sigh...just look how biased the chart is. Samsung doesn't even highlight iPhone 4s advantage over SII.

Lets break it down shall we:
  • Screen resolution - iPhone should win here.
  • Videocapture: 1080p High profile is better because?
  • Dedicated outer camera button: S2 has none, iPhone does, yet its a tie?
  • Syncing: iTunes syncing isn't required anymore. There is iCloud. And if you want iTunes, it can be done wirelessly, even backing up.
  • Use of smartphone as HDTV remote control: Samsung's best feature There are tons of remote controls for iOS.
  • OS: Of course Samsung prefers "Latest version of Gingerbread" over iOS5 and forgetting that iOS devices also get the latest version of iOS5

And finally, Price/memory: Samsung touts external card support up to 32GB, while ignoring that iPhone can get iPhone4S gets up to 64GB.

"(no memory limitations)" ... uhm yes you do. SII does not support SDXC and 32GB is not bigger than 64GB. Unless you want to play swap cards.

Dedicated Camera button on outside? iPhone 4S has that? I thought it was the volume up button? That's dedicated? Wow, I need to understand words more before I use them. (I know this user that wrote that was not the person who said that, Samsung did, so that is who I am mocking here )
post #93 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

'practically no difference in pocketability'? Are you delusional? The Samsung is huge.

Not to mention, of course, that the iPhone has over 40% more pixels for clarity. And the Samsung screen probably won't last the life of the phone without significant fading. And the Samsung phone is deficient in so many other ways.

I was not referring to the technology, but the size. It is not that much bigger than the iPhone. You're acting like the difference is the same between an iPod touch and an iPad, it is not.

I have put both of these phones comfortably in the front pocket of my jeans and the inside pocket of my suit jacket, the difference is negligible.
post #94 of 245
I have been using a Droid X since it was released.
I am so looking forward returning to iOs and the 4S !

2010 MacBook Pro 13, 2.66
Dell XPS 420 - Gaming PC
iPhone 3G 8GB
iPhone 4 on StraightTalk

2010 MacBook Pro 13, 2.66
Dell XPS 420 - Gaming PC
iPhone 3G 8GB
iPhone 4 on StraightTalk

post #95 of 245
And a lot of us think it is significantly bigger. Personal taste. iPhone 4 is the perfect balance of box size and screen size for most of us here. You are quite free to like the larger phone but don't spin that it is not noticeably larger.

Quote:

I was not referring to the technology, but the size. It is not that much bigger than the iPhone. You're acting like the difference is the same between an iPod touch and an iPad, it is not.

I have put both of these phones comfortably in the front pocket of my jeans and the inside pocket of my suit jacket, the difference is negligible.
post #96 of 245
The sad thing is that the Galaxy S II wins on specs here. Even if iOS is much better than Android, will that matter to people?

The REALLY sad thing is that the SII is months old, the Nexus Prime will be presented next week and will probably have much higher specs than the iPhone 4S. I can't even imagine what new and better models will come out in the next year, and the iPhone 4S will be trailing behind, with Siri as the only innovation.
post #97 of 245
Quote:

The truth is I was a huge Apple Computer, Inc. fan - now I despise the company Apple has become. They are worse than Microsoft ever was.

Can you explain in what exactly apple has become worse then M$.

The only thing I can imagine, is that Apple has a higher marketing cap. But I don't see this as a bad thing. Astonishing - Yes! But bad - ???
post #98 of 245
Quote:

Alright, well my counter to that would be look at the size of the phone and the resolution of the screen. I'm a man and I don't carry a purse or a bag of any kind so the smaller the better for me. If Apple could make the screen bigger, without making the phone bigger, without losing the great resolution they have and without causing too much of a headache to developers who would need to change their apps then I would welcome it but I don't want a bigger phone just to have a bigger screen. All I want is something that slides nicely into my pocket and doesn't feel like I'm carrying a brick around.
post #99 of 245
Don't be sad. Just buy your friggin Galaxy S II and be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

The sad thing is that the Galaxy S II wins on specs here. Even if iOS is much better than Android, will that matter to people?

The REALLY sad thing is that the SII is months old, the Nexus Prime will be presented next week and will probably have much higher specs than the iPhone 4S. I can't even imagine what new and better models will come out in the next year, and the iPhone 4S will be trailing behind, with Siri as the only innovation.
post #100 of 245
It's the typical PC-like ploy: They tout this and that, but they don't tell you about all the corner cutting and cost saving. You know, 17" laptop, but screen resolution is only 1366x768... Samsung has lower screen resolution, crappy-jerky-complicated Android, lower quality camera (despite a high pixel rating), etc., etc.... With Apple you'll always know that the components from the screen to materials used to the electronic components inside are all top notch. Yeah, it costs a little more, usually, for Apple products, but you pay for quality and excellent customer service.
post #101 of 245
Quote:

Exactly.... I do business casual to work everyday and the phone in my sig fits just perfect! I don't have to pinch and zoom (although i can) just to read anything on my phone. Next thing your going to hear is that Apple invented the voice control functions on smart phones. That will probably be the next round of lawsuits. Except the at Apple BOUGHT Siri. Fact isApple is just now starting to catch up to Android phones...... They had copy and paste, voice control, over the air updates and many other things first.

Tallest Skil:

"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."

Tallest Skil:

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."

post #102 of 245
Quote:

well good thing phones with 5-7 inch screens aren't out (or marketed as phones) huh?
post #103 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyTab View Post

ROFL! Are you really equating smartphone screen size with penile inadequacy?

The lengths some of you lot will go to to defend the 3.5 inch screen on the iPhone is laughable.

Pot, hello. This is kettle. I have one word for you ... you guessed it, it's "black".

This is funny coming from the individual who registers on an Apple-oriented discussion forum with the name "GalaxyTab" and spends all their time trolling and spouting pro-Android rhetoric. Sounds like someone has a case of iEnvy. :P
post #104 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

Samsung has lower screen resolution, crappy-jerky-complicated Android, lower quality camera (despite a high pixel rating), etc., etc....

http://images.frandroid.com/wp-conte...1-16.07.32.jpg

Do you really find this picture to be lower quality? And it's not even from the best phones out there, and it was taken on June!
post #105 of 245
WOW there is so much disinformation and egregious lies towards Android in this topic that I don't think I'm going to even counter them all...

but wow...

Anyways, my 4inch G2X fits fine in whatever pockets I have....then again I'm 6'3 235 so bad example.

my little cousin has a Galaxy S Vibrant (THE definitive 3GS clone of the bunch) and it fits fine in her bag or jeans and she wears tight clothes...

the screen size thing is BS...if and when Apple does go to a larger screen these arguments will disappear.
post #106 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodGrief View Post

Pot, hello. This is kettle. I have one word for you ... you guessed it, it's "black".

This is funny coming from the individual who registers on an Apple-oriented discussion forum with the name "GalaxyTab" and spends all their time trolling and spouting pro-Android rhetoric. Sounds like someone has a case of iEnvy. :P

How do you define a troll?

He may not agree with you, he may be obviously pro-Android...but he is hardly a troll.
post #107 of 245
I think this a pretty misleading comparison. For one thing, it completely ignores the performance (CPU and memory) of these two devices. For all the touting of 4G, I doubt that many people will see those speeds and it's a battery drain (notice they didn't compare Internet surf times since that is low). Besides, I'm not sure where the advantage to 4G is in normal use, especially since there are a lot of factors to the network design besides just "burst download". For instance, if there is any latency in the networking protocol, that affects perceived performance. Of course, how the browser begins to render this information is also important. Even with a low speed data link, if the page starts displaying before completely loaded, that can make a huge different. I'd like to see the 4s compared with rendering on the Galaxy II.

They also don't highlight ANYTHING on the Apple side, including the Retina display which is hard to say that the SuperAMOLED is better (lower resolution, oversaturated colors, etc) I have a Nexus S and while it's nice, it's not Retina. Sorry Samsung.

Camera: I am 100% sure that Apple's camera is top notch. Megapixels are a poor indicator of camera quality and Apple explains that in the video. Oh, and they have an LED flash so I'm not sure why Samsung omits that in the Apple spec. The front camera thing is a bit annoying, but at the same time, most people use that for video conferencing. Samsung wins there, but it's the software that matters.

Syncing. You don't need iTunes with iOS5. Pay attention Samsung.

I don't know about others, but I use my iPhone to control my HDTV all the time. It's called Apple TV and it's $99 and you don't need a Samsung TV to use it.

Bigger phone doesn't work in my opinion. Maybe it's a restriction in the size of my opposable thumbs, but I can't reach across the screen to use it with one hand so it doesn't help me at all.

Not sold on the "It's got Gingerbread so it's better" argument. I have a Nexus S. It's nice, but it's not iOS5 sorry.

So that's my opinion.
post #108 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

Exactly.... I do business casual to work everyday and the phone in my sig fits just perfect! I don't have to pinch and zoom (although i can) just to read anything on my phone. Next thing your going to hear is that Apple invented the voice control functions on smart phones. That will probably be the next round of lawsuits. Except the at Apple BOUGHT Siri. Fact isApple is just now starting to catch up to Android phones...... They had copy and paste, voice control, over the air updates and many other things first.

Apple is catching up to Android phones? Haha. Android phones wouldn't even exist without Apple. All android phones do is try to add features that apple hasn't yet implemented so they can say that something is better.
post #109 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

I think this a pretty misleading comparison. For one thing, it completely ignores the performance (CPU and memory) of these two devices. For all the touting of 4G, I doubt that many people will see those speeds and it's a battery drain (notice they didn't compare Internet surf times since that is low). Besides, I'm not sure where the advantage to 4G is in normal use, especially since there are a lot of factors to the network design besides just "burst download". For instance, if there is any latency in the networking protocol, that affects perceived performance. Of course, how the browser begins to render this information is also important. Even with a low speed data link, if the page starts displaying before completely loaded, that can make a huge different. I'd like to see the 4s compared with rendering on the Galaxy II.

They also don't highlight ANYTHING on the Apple side, including the Retina display which is hard to say that the SuperAMOLED is better (lower resolution, oversaturated colors, etc) I have a Nexus S and while it's nice, it's not Retina. Sorry Samsung.

Camera: I am 100% sure that Apple's camera is top notch. Megapixels are a poor indicator of camera quality and Apple explains that in the video. Oh, and they have an LED flash so I'm not sure why Samsung omits that in the Apple spec. The front camera thing is a bit annoying, but at the same time, most people use that for video conferencing. Samsung wins there, but it's the software that matters.

Syncing. You don't need iTunes with iOS5. Pay attention Samsung.

I don't know about others, but I use my iPhone to control my HDTV all the time. It's called Apple TV and it's $99 and you don't need a Samsung TV to use it.

Bigger phone doesn't work in my opinion. Maybe it's a restriction in the size of my opposable thumbs, but I can't reach across the screen to use it with one hand so it doesn't help me at all.

Not sold on the "It's got Gingerbread so it's better" argument. I have a Nexus S. It's nice, but it's not iOS5 sorry.

So that's my opinion.

Thats funny.....you are touting as Apple successes things that Android already has......
Sorry but even the pro Apple website polls at WSJ agree... Android OS is preferred over IOS.
http://online.wsj.com/community/grou...es-best-mobile

Tallest Skil:

Tallest Skil:

post #110 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

Can you explain in what exactly apple has become worse then M$.

The only thing I can imagine, is that Apple has a higher marketing cap. But I don't see this as a bad thing. Astonishing - Yes! But bad - ???

I never heard any stories about Microsoft employees going to a persons private residence accompanied by the police and either intentionally or not causing the home owner to believe the entire group were the police and searching a private residence.

I did hear stories about Microsoft abusing their market position, kind of like Apple forcing Sprint to take a $20 billion life or death gamble to gain access to their product. You don't think Sprint volunteered to accept terms like this do you?

I may have missed all of the stories about Microsoft contractors abusing their employees so that they jumped out of windows (no pun intended) due to draconian work environments.

I am not going to write a book, but the list goes on and on, and by the way you are holding it wrong!
post #111 of 245
Agree Jkichline, but it's difficult to see how the public will react. Will they do the same as always and continue to buy an iPhone because it's cool, or will they see that this time maybe it's not the best out there?
post #112 of 245
Quote:

Apple is catching up to Android phones? Haha. Android phones wouldn't even exist without Apple. All android phones do is try to add features that apple hasn't yet implemented so they can say that something is better.

Did you actually read what you wrote? Let me point it out for you... See highlighted above....
So Android is first then Apple plays catchup! Thanks for pointing that out for us......

Tallest Skil:

Tallest Skil:

post #113 of 245
Quote:

I do and it works extremely well.

I also have an App that controls my Sony Blue-ray player over my wireless network AND a FLIPR infrared attachment which controls my Samsung TV, my Hitachi TV, and various other things around my house.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #114 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

Did you actually read what you wrote? Let me point it out for you... See highlighted above....
So Android is first then Apple plays catchup! Thanks for pointing that out for us......

I don't even know why I'm bothering here. It's like arguing with children...what's the point. If you're all this pro android, then why are you here on this site? Get a life.
post #115 of 245
The specs game is so last decade, usability is what's in. Apple knew this for ages and this is why their hardware sales sky-rocketed over the past few years. ALL of Apple's products have average specs nothing monstrously impressive, just fair.

The disappointing thing for me was the minuscule screen. But I guess with Apple losing Samsung as a manufacturer and LG's quality being ho-hum, it would be hard to keep that pixel-density. It's a shame that Samsung had turned into a filthy player.
bb
bb
post #116 of 245
Quote:

http://images.frandroid.com/wp-conte...1-16.07.32.jpg

Do you really find this picture to be lower quality? And it's not even from the best phones out there, and it was taken on June!

iPhone: http://www.anandtech.com/Gallery/Album/763#20

Gallaxy S 2: http://www.anandtech.com/Gallery/Album/763#1

From PC World comparison:

Overall Image Quality

1. Apple iPhone 4 (Image Quality Score: Good)

2. Motorola Droid X (Image Quality Score: Good)

3. HTC EVO 4G (Image Quality Score: Fair)

4. Samsung Galaxy (Image Quality Score: Fair)

Overall Video Quality

1. Apple iPhone 4 (Video Quality Score: Good)

2. Samsung Galaxy (Video Quality Score: Fair)

3. Motorola Droid X (Video Quality Score: Fair)

4. HTC Evo 4G (Video Quality Score: Fair)

link: http://www.pcworld.com/article/19984...roid_army.html
post #117 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I do and it works extremely well.

I also have an App that controls my Sony Blue-ray player over my wireless network AND a FLIPR infrared attachment which controls my Samsung TV, my Hitachi TV, and various other things around my house.

comparatively he still has a point.
post #118 of 245
I have to laugh real hard at all of this. Hell, Apple could sell 50 million of these phones every quarter and there would still be some jackasses saying that Apple is doomed.

This aint about specs... this is about Apple's customer base. [... and even if it was about specs I don't see anything great enough over the 4S to give up iOS5]

I can hardly wait until January when we hear that Apple has broken all previous sales records.

Samsung gives the nod to Gingerbread over iOS5.... pffffftttttttt.
Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #119 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Bulls**t!

Have you seen all the issues Nokia have been having with substandard amoled displays they got from Samsung?

Obviously you haven't been to their user forums.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if it was Samsung who deliberately sent parts that did not went through as stringent quality control measures to Nokia.
post #120 of 245
Quote:

Yeah, it's been that way for years. "Sure, the current Android phones aren't all that great compared to an iPhone, but just wait for the NEXT one".

Wake me up when there's actually an Android phone that has the overall usability and customer satisfaction of the iPhone.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung takes stab at iPhone 4S with Galaxy S II comparison sheet